PDA

View Full Version : POR or CB?

Mrs.Jumbo
06-27-2007, 10:52 AM
OK, I think I'm ruling out POP for an extended stay with my family of 7 next year. I think it's just going to be too much "stimulation" and not enough down time.

We really like POR and have stayed there many times. I've never stayed at Caribbean Beach. The pictures at MagicalJourneys look lovely.

So, now I'm looking for your preferences between Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans Riverside.

Thanks.

Lori

jedimick08
06-27-2007, 12:43 PM
When are you planning on going next year. The main pool is going to be closed from Jan - Jun 2008 at CBR. I believe we're still going to stay there however since we requested a building right by a quiet pool and my kids won't care.

However, we did stay at POR in 2005 when my kids were 3 and 1 and it was great. Really nice grounds. Bus lines weren't long. Food court was ok. I would stay there again in 2008 but we wanted to try someplace different.

WDWgoofy
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
If you've never stayed at CBR, then by all means you should.

It is my favorite resort!:mickey:

DDuck66
06-27-2007, 01:44 PM
We have stayed at CBR several times and it is my favorite moderate resort. The themeing is great and the buildings are far enough apart to keep the noise to a minimum. With only having two floors in each building it is set up much more like a condo than a motel. Jamaica is our favorite as it is located directly across the bridge from the Food Court. Not too far away but not to close. Also each building has its own pool and laundry center. Let us know which one you choose.

SurferStitch
06-27-2007, 01:56 PM
DH and I have stayed at both, and by far we prefer CBR. In all honesty, we really, really disliked POR. We stayed in Parterre Place, and our room was very musty, dark and dirty. We also didn't care for the rude and/or uncaring CM's at the front desk. We actually stayed there twice (same building) about 3 months apart (our second visit with friends was actually booked before the first trip), and it was the same both times.

At CBR we had what seemed like a bigger room (even though it probably wasn't). It was very clean and bright, and we just had a much better experience overall.

Bus service was good at both resorts. I preferred the food court at CBR...seemed to have more variety.

llamaface
06-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I think it all depends on your taste. I prefer POR. The themeing at CBR was a bit too bright (and gawdy) for me. I like the more laid back feel to POR. Both are really great resorts and you will be happy whichever you choose.

CleveRocks
06-27-2007, 02:37 PM
At CBR we had what seemed like a bigger room (even though it probably wasn't). It was very clean and bright, and we just had a much better experience overall.CBR's rooms are 340 square feet. POR's, POFQ's and CSR's are 314 square feet. 26 square feet is roughly the size of a double-bed.

SurferStitch
06-27-2007, 02:49 PM
CBR's rooms are 340 square feet. POR's, POFQ's and CSR's are 314 square feet. 26 square feet is roughly the size of a double-bed.

Ah-ha! I knew I wasn't nuts! Thanks!!!

GrmGrninGost
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I prefer POR, but not by much!:mickey:I really like all the moderates! I don't think you'll go wrong either way!:thumbsup:Have fun!!

AliceinDisney
06-27-2007, 05:43 PM
We're staying at Caribbean Beach this year, but four years ago I stayed at POR. It was very beautiful on the exterior, but I found that the rooms were pretty dimly lit for putting on makeup! LOL I know Im a girl I think of these things. Anyway, other than that, I found the beds a little hard and my mom said the room wasnt that clean, but you know I think they've updated POR. So I think the rooms are a bit more inviting now. I heard CB is the nicest of the moderates in terms of size and theme.

RockChalkKimball
06-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I have stayed at both and I think they are both great. As far as layout, they are very similar, shady paths, quiet pools. The food courts are very similar. The only drawback that I found with CBR is that the check in and food court are in different buildings. You really had to use the internal transportation to get to the check in building. This was kind of a pain, since that's where guest services is. So you couldn't drop by and ask a question on your way to get something to eat. Other than that, you could flip a coin and still win.

WorldTraveler
06-29-2007, 05:52 PM
I like CBR for theming.
I like POR for the main pool which is one of the best on property or at least of the moderates. I like the boat ride from POR to Downtown Disney and there is also a lounge with family type entertainment just off the main lobby. (One of the last places on property to still have entertainment like this)
Both are great and would give you a nice vacation. It just may come down to if you want dirty rice or Jerk style with pineapple. Remember, Disney World has everything, just not all at the same place. You need to pick which items you think make sence for this trip and make your choice. At either place, make sure you request a room close to the food court building.

Gotta Love the TTA
07-13-2007, 09:48 PM
CBR is, by far, better themed.

IMHO, the rooms at POR in the Mansion section did not look that much different from a Holiday Inn.

Perhaps it's because of my proximity to Branson, but I get enough of the 19th century stuff at home. (and that closeness to Silver Dollar City doesn't make the rustic themeing at Alligator Bayou appealing either)

When I'm at CBR, I really feel like I'm

wait for it

...not in Kansas anymore.

AlyceMarie03
07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm glad to read all of the Good feedback for CBR! I can't wait to go!:mickey:

Donalds Duckie
07-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I love CBR and have stayed there many times. So, I'd definitely recommend you give it a try. Personally, I would stay at CBR even if the main pool is down for refurb. Each village has it's own quiet pool so swimming won't be an issue. Those pools may not be so "quiet" with the main pool down but they are a good size and quite nice.

I have never stayed at POR but I have visited there a few times. It's a nice resort but reminds me too much of home to feel like vacation.

jakeybake
07-16-2007, 09:08 AM
I have stayed a both and prefer POR by a wide margin.

The major reasons for us are Colonel's Cotton Mill (food court) Boatrights, (sit down restaraunt), River Roost (Lounge) and the grounds.

CB doesn't have a lounge, Shutters is below average at best for a sit down restaraunt and the food court isn't close to the one at POR IMHO.

Boartright's is very good, especially for breakfast. Colonel's Cotton Mill is the best food court in all of WDW IMHO and the River Roost and Piano Bob are fantastic. A great place to sit and relax after a long day at the parks.

Don't get me wrong CBR is a nice resort but when comparing it head to head with POR it pales in comparison.

My 2 cents!!

Jay

chefmickey3
07-16-2007, 11:46 AM
We have stayed at both CB and POR, and prefer POR hands down. We love the river and the buildings seem closer together to us. CB is a huge resort and often you need to use the bus to get to the food court. We love the theming at POR. There is also fishing and the boat to DDT. As far as size, we have been very comfortable there with three children under 6.