PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn Bobsleds

Disney Babe
06-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Is there any truth to the rumor I have heard that the Matterhorn will go down for refurb after summer and possibly get new bobsled cars with side by side seating rather than tandem seating?

If so, I was wondering how others feel about a change in the configuration of the bobsleds on this classic ride.

drevlo
06-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Wow! I haven't heard anything about that, but it's an interesting thing to consider.
I've always been a fan of the seating configuration on the Matterhorn. I think it's mostly because you can lean back further than you can on most coasters. However, as my kids (and my belly:secret:) get larger, it is becoming a little more of a hassle to cram in the seats.
We rode Splash Mountain at WDW which has side by side seating (as opposed to front to back like at DLR) and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed that set up...so who knows....:mickey:

Chescat
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Matterhorn goes down for reburishment a lot because of the track. Its a very bumpy ride. I can't ever imagine they would change the seating arrangements since that would mean they would have to redo the whole track on the ride. If they didn't do that when the refurbed it to add the yeti and closed in the matterhorn skyway section, I can't imagine them doing that now. Those tunnels are pretty narrow when you go through. A new side by side car would never fit.

At least that's my opinion. :cool:

We always asked for front and back (even with my friends older kids). I can't ride with DH anymore. We've grown with age. I always landed on the floor or with the bumpy, my head smacks him in the face. :blush:

DoomBuggyDude
06-28-2007, 03:33 AM
The side-by-side bobsleds are almost ready
and the changeover begins after Labor Day.

:D

Chescat
06-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Wow, so how long is the ride going to be down? Any track modifications coming? This actually might cause me to ride it more often. :)

dixielandings
06-28-2007, 01:22 PM
If this is true, I will be so sad. The one-in-front seating on Matterhorn is a DL mainstay!

DoomBuggyDude
06-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Most of the conversion was actually done last
year with the updated ride control system. It's
basically the same as Space Mtn.

The only things they didn't have time to do
were the lift and to widen a few spots along
the route.

The actual closure dates should be posted for
all to see by July 5th. My best guess would be
re-opening on Nov. 12th.

Keep your eye on the globe... um..calendar
starting next month.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/daily/daily?name=CalendarDailyPage&date=20070910&span=10&parkDCA=false&parkDLP=true&parkDTD=false

Lizzie
06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
I haven't been to DL in over 5 years. I am so excited to be there in August. It sounds like the Matterhorn should be open then.

Disney Babe
06-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Thank you for confirming the change DBD. It is sad.

I had heard that one reason for the change is that the state wants the safety belts and/or restraint to be easier for the guests to use and for CMs to check. I can understand that because it is always hard to get to them unless you are careful about how you step in and sit down. Of course, as teens and pre-teens my sisters and I used to really enjoy the cute male CMs reaching around our legs to help us find the belt! :blush:

The other reason for the change that I have heard is that will help to bring more guests through the ride in a shorter time. Not having to wait a long time in the sun is a welcome change, but I will miss the old bobsleds. It was the sure fire way to get a guy and girl closer together on a DL date! I haven't had a DL date in a long time, but I am a romantic at heart and love to see the couples get into the bobsleds and snuggle.:hug:

I will be there in August to. I'm so glad I found out about this ahead of time.

BrerGnat
06-28-2007, 11:14 PM
as mentioned, I assume this is more for safety than anything else. Regardless of the seatbelt issue, this ride is SUPER bumpy and in the case of a ride malfunction, there is a high chance of people's heads colliding in the event of a sudden stop. I'm sure the new ride vehicles will bring some much needed comfort to this ride! I found this ride to be very difficult to enjoy with no back support for the rider in front.

Chescat
06-29-2007, 01:27 AM
I guess I am confused. I heard from a park friend today while we were in the park, that she was told the configuration of the bobsleds would be changed like splash mountain was. Where they are adding seats to the sections. You would then basically have 4 seats front to back in the car. (Is that what you meant DoomBuggyDude?) The concern is, they may have to raise the height limit now for the smaller kids with whatever the restraints would be.

Mufusa you know anything about this? :confused:

kandokat
06-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Dang-It!! I'm going to miss riding the Matterhorn when I go on September 15!

:fit:

BklynChick
06-29-2007, 11:06 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Matterhorn can't be closed in October! It's my absolute favorite and the only one without a reasonable corrolary at WDW!

:cry:

BrerGnat
06-30-2007, 12:08 AM
I guess I am confused. I heard from a park friend today while we were in the park, that she was told the configuration of the bobsleds would be changed like splash mountain was. Where they are adding seats to the sections. You would then basically have 4 seats front to back in the car. (Is that what you meant DoomBuggyDude?) The concern is, they may have to raise the height limit now for the smaller kids with whatever the restraints would be.

Mufusa you know anything about this? :confused:

Huh, that's weird for a roller coaster. Adding the seat backs to the Splash logs was fine because there are no restraints on that ride, but I don't see how they will do that UNLESS the new sleds will be like the Space Mountain rocket in WDW...which has a T-bar for each seat. That would make sense. The Space Mtn rockets at WDW are roughly the same size as the Matterhorn sleds.

If it is just new cars being put in, it shouldn't take long, right?

kandokat
06-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Are they going to close the Matterhorn right after Labor Day?

drevlo
07-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I would imagine that with the change would come some kind of "side to side" head restraint, much like on Space Mountain (or Mullholland Madness). Otherwise, with all of the strong side to side swinging that the ride creates, I could see folks knocking their heads like coconuts! :crowd:

That's all I got...

Chescat
07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Huh, that's weird for a roller coaster. Adding the seat backs to the Splash logs was fine because there are no restraints on that ride, but I don't see how they will do that UNLESS the new sleds will be like the Space Mountain rocket in WDW...which has a T-bar for each seat. That would make sense. The Space Mtn rockets at WDW are roughly the same size as the Matterhorn sleds.

If it is just new cars being put in, it shouldn't take long, right?
I think that's what they meant, that there would be some bar, probably that T-bar. That would cause kids that would ride it now, to now not be tall enough.

I keep looking at those cars when I go and I can't see how the side by side will fit through some of those holes in the matterhorn since the track normally has both side matterhorn cars going through about same time. I just went on a few weeks ago, the width is the size of one person, but a little on each side, how is side by side possible? But I could be wrong.

Chescat
07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
I talked to another person today at the park that had gone to the NFFC conference where they talked a lot about changing coming. I'm still hearing that the Matterhorn cars are going to be like they did with Splash mountain logs, where they are just inserted a seats in the current setup. So you have 4 people front to back.
________
X X-|-X X
________

Not 2 positions with 2 side by side.

______
X--|--X
X--|--X
______

Belle619
07-20-2007, 12:46 PM
I want to scream very loudly. :angry: When I went to DLR for the first time last year, the Matterhorn was closed due to technical difficulties. It was the ONLY ride I didn't get to go on. We are going back this year for our honeymoon and I was so excited to finally ride it, but no, of course, it will be closed again. UGH! :pout:

mttafire
08-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Most of the conversion was actually done last
year with the updated ride control system. It's
basically the same as Space Mtn.

The only things they didn't have time to do
were the lift and to widen a few spots along
the route.

The actual closure dates should be posted for
all to see by July 5th. My best guess would be
re-opening on Nov. 12th.

Keep your eye on the globe... um..calendar
starting next month.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/daily/daily?name=CalendarDailyPage&date=20070910&span=10&parkDCA=false&parkDLP=true&parkDTD=false

Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

NYdaily
08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Wow -- thanks for the info! I'm a little confused as to what the actual seat arrangement will be -- but it looks like it will ultimately be a little more comfortable.

Now if only they would smooth out that ride track ala SM!

Guess I can't cuddle my wife on their anymore though -- which is a bummer. But it was so bumpy -- you couldn't really do that for long anyway!

Disney Babe
08-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Is there any word on the official date of the refurb? I didn't see it listed on the Disney Calendar after Labor Day, or at all really.

My apologizes if this info is already posted.

DoomBuggyDude
08-22-2007, 01:56 AM
The refurb calendar is very neglected, lately.

Other things are happening, too and aren't
being listed. :confused:

SPCMT
08-23-2007, 12:07 AM
aww man thats sad to hear...i planned on taking my girlfriend on this ride just because of the seat configuration but i guess well just have to cuddle somewhere else oh well but i still think the tandom riding is a great thing...its been like that since 1959, you cant change that....uggg:sob:

oh well .....any official date yet?

Disney Babe
08-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Here is what DoomBuggyDude, a CM, has said earlier in the thread.

The side-by-side bobsleds are almost ready
and the changeover begins after Labor Day.

:D

SPCMT
09-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Oh Ok sorry didnt notice that one...so does that mean that its being worked on now? Or its complete?

DoomBuggyDude
09-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Most of the work was done last year, nothing
happening right now.

I keep asking and no one seems to know at this point.

Chescat
09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Do you think they changed their minds with all the other stuff going on in the park right now? Seemed like a bad time to take Matterhorn down right before the Halloween and Christmas crowds showed up. :blush: