PDA

View Full Version : Unusual situation

Jeri Lynn
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
My mother, who turned 67 years old this year has always thought her birthday was April 15, 1940. This is when she was told it was, this was when it was celebrated all through the years...

I recently got my mother a copy of her birth certificate so she could go on a cruise and when she brought it with her, they noticed that her birth date is listed as April 16th, not the
15th.

She has always used the 15th as her date for any pertinent information, such as Social Security and her license.

She wants to get her passport and fears she may have a problem as her license says the 15th.

She was born at home so there was no hospital involved. The doctor who delivered her has long since died, along with my grandparents.

We believe she was born on the 15th and the birth certificate was wrong...

Should she just leave things as is? After all, it's been 67 years and nothing like this has ever come up....

MMouse6937
06-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Yikes, Jeri Lynn, that is a strange predicament. I would say to leave it alone, but I am really wondering with all the passport problems anyways, that they might give her a hassle about the difference. You might call someone at the SS admin and see what they think. It might not be too hard to change things over with her birth certificate. It might be best to have everything match that instead of the other way around. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

emmatink
06-26-2007, 12:26 PM
A similiar thing happend with my father in law but it was the year that was off on his driver's license. Apparently when he got his driver's license way back when (:D) you didn't really need any form of ID they just took your word, so he put on the ID that he was a year older than he really was at the time. Years went by with it being the wrong date but when he got to retirement age is when the problem came up. He had to change everything to his real age which is on the birth certificate and it was not fun trying to change his driver's license. I am afraid that she will have to use her birth certificate date and hassle with changing her DL to the correct date.

TiggeRia
06-26-2007, 12:47 PM
My brother has the same problem...he was born May 15th but his birth certificate says May 16th. He has just left it alone, and hasn't run into any problems. He didn't have trouble getting a passport and all of his other legal documents read May 15th. He's also in the military and they never gave him any trouble with it. I say leave well enough alone. Good luck, either way. :)

thrillme
06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
With today's time of hightened security...I'd go to the Drivers License office with a copy of my birth certificate and tell them that she just realized her birthdate was wrong. She never noticed before. They should change it for her quite easily perhaps for just a nominal reprint fee.

DREAMADREAM93
06-26-2007, 01:52 PM
That is very strange. Does she know for a fact that her birthday is the 15th, or does she think the certificate could be right? No way to know for sure i guess!

I say leave it alone.
67 years and no problems - i dont think it should hurt now.

JOrdan :]

PirateLover
06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Right before my grandmother died (she had been sick with Alzheimer's) my family did a lot of research and realized that she was 2 years younger than she had always claimed. She had lied from about age 17 on for some reason or another. Even my grandfather, who was married to her for 60 years, was shocked to find out. I remember there being a little bit of an issue at first but it all got straightened out... however this was about 6 or 7 years ago.

disneydeb
06-26-2007, 04:54 PM
My uncle was listed as FEMALE on HIS birth cerficate until he had it corrected.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
With heightened security, I'd get everything correct as quickly as possible.
If she weren't planning on taking any trips and leaving the country, I'd say leave it alone. But you don't want to be stuck not being able to go on vacation.

MsMin
06-27-2007, 12:31 AM
I've heard of birth dates being off esp when babies were born at home. I know you had to register the child and my g aunt was born on July 3rd @ home but her birth certificate said July 4th. My grandmother said it reflected the day my great grandfather registered the birth.
I would be honest and explain that the family knew she was actually born the day before but suspect the registry is wrong. I'm sure they've seen it before and as mentioned either change her DL and /or call SSA... Best of luck... Now that she gets to celebrate for 2 days does this mean she gets twice the presents??? ;)

snifflesmcg
06-27-2007, 12:59 AM
WOW, I've never heard such a situation! In a way (put aside the confusion) it's kinda cool. Only way to know for sure (so there is no problems) is call the SS office, the drivers licence center and maybe the municipal building where the birth certificate was issued as a "hypothetical". Last thing you want is a problem before your trip. Please let us know what happens. This is fascinating to me.

crazypoohbear
06-27-2007, 11:00 PM
You should call the passport office or call the bureau of Vital statistics where she was born. Or call the Social Security office. You dont' have to give names just give them the situation and ask what if anything should be done.

TooGoofy
06-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Same thing happened with my mom. She always celebrated her birthday on Dec. 22. Then she looked at her birth certificate (we are getting ready to go on a car trip to Canada) and it said Dec. 23! Needless to say, she was in a tizzy!