PDA

View Full Version : window fans and heat

Jeri Lynn
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Ok, this is probably going to be the stupidest question ever...we are starting to get hot here in New England after some un-summer-like weather....

I bought some window fans today, in the past I always put the in the window with the air blowing in....

My question is, am I defeating the purpose, am I actually taking the hot air from outside and blowing it into my house...

Should I just put the fans on the floor?...or should I turn the fans around in the window so that they are actually blowing outside?

OR...should I just spend the day in our garage rec room that has air conditioning!!!;)

disneycouple2004
06-26-2007, 10:45 AM
OK so to answer this correctly....if its cooler outside than inside..blowing the air into the house is good...if its warmer outside than inside..i would just set them in the floor and move some air...of course your rec room sounds good to me :thumbsup:

bucky at disney
06-26-2007, 10:48 AM
if you turn them around then you are sucking hot air out of your house - if its hotter inside than out....

If its cooler outside have the fan bring the air in.

Or if you want to create some ventilation - put a fan in one window blowing out - and across the room - or house one blowing in....

But the best idea is air conditioning.

Dsnygirl
06-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't know what style of window fans you bought, but many have the option of blowing the air in or out... we have 3, and 2 of them have this option - you can even have one side pulling the cooler air in while the other side pulls the hotter air inside out. We have found this to be the next best option to A/C (which we just gave up and bought a window unit this year for those really unbearable days... like today... :D) If your new fans don't have this option, I'd put them on the floor for today, or put one in the door of the rec room and blow the cool air into the house - and then go exchange them tonight for different ones! ;)

crazypoohbear
06-27-2007, 11:02 PM
way back in the day my mother would put one blowing in and the other blowing out. "It keeps the air circulationg"
If you have two fans put one in one window blowing in and one opposite it blowing out.

OR go to your rec room and don't come out until Columbus day:D

Cinderelley
06-28-2007, 01:21 AM
I vote for getting central air conditiong. Boy, was I shocked when we went to visit DH's parents in PA, and no one had air conditioning!

DizneyRox
06-28-2007, 07:22 AM
You need to have air coming in and air going out, otherwise you're just blowing around the air already in the house.

What I would do is put a couple blowing out in the highest point in the house (hot air rises) and open the lowest windows in the house, in the shadiest area of the house.

This should provide some cool air recirculating through the house. I feel A/C is overrated for the most part, but it does help on those horribly hot days. I'm also the one who enjoys Disney in July though.