PDA

View Full Version : What are everyone's non-Disney vacation plans this summer?

Dsnygirl
06-26-2007, 09:04 AM
:vacation: So, where is everybody who's not going to WDW going this summer??

We are going to Maine in exactly 45 days, and I'm really starting to get excited! (Thus, this thread... :blush:) We go every summer in August, to the same house off the coast of Brunswick, on Orr's Island. It is hidden in the woods but also right on the water - it is a little piece of heaven for us each year, and where we kind-of "reset" ourselves for the next year.

So - what are everyone else's plans?

princessjojo
06-26-2007, 09:31 AM
We are hitting the beach :vacation: this summer, this weekend actually. My dad has a home down on Carolina Beach so we go there a lot since it's cheap. There's absolutely nothing there to do to much for the kids anyway unless you go up about 10 minutes to Wilmington. But that's the beauty of it for me. It's quiet, clean, not much commercial property except for local retailers. As a matter of fact, I can only remember seeing 1 major hotel there, a Courtyard. Everything else is local motels, condo properties, or private homes. A McDonald's, but not a WalMart. Have to go to Wilmington for that. And only 1 grocery store that I can think of. A bank or two, Domino's Pizza, and a Subway.

We really like it because as much as I keep the boys on a very short leash, I can let them go somewhat without worrying about them. We know so many up and down the beach that if there's anything wrong, they can stop along the way and ask for help.

It is a time to sit back and relax.:cheers:, :read: I don't even have phone or internet access down there, so to do my classwork, I have to go to McDonald's and log on and enjoy a cup of morning :mcoffee: coffee. It teaches us to enjoy life without all of the extras and remember how to have fun with each other.
:sun:
I guess it could be compared to the poor man's Hamptons maybe. Much smaller houses, plain jane working folks, and wear you tank top and flipflop to stores and restaurants. I love it there.

alphamommy
06-26-2007, 09:31 AM
We are going South at the end of July. My MIL and I got tickets for "Antiques Roadshow" in Louisville, KY, on July 28. DH, DD, and I are going to stay in MIL/FIL's fifth wheel with them for a couple days near Louisville, then DH, DD, and I will go on to Mammoth Cave. After that, we're going on Northern Alabama (I have aunts and uncles there) for a few days. While we're there, we're going to the Space Center in Huntsville.

disneycouple2004
06-26-2007, 09:41 AM
NON-DISNEY ??..Whats that ??..:D
we very seldom do anything non-disney..we save all our money for our yearly WDW trip..:thumbsup:

goofiecrazy
06-26-2007, 09:44 AM
My parents have a place in Ocean City MD.We have had it since I was a senior in high school and we can walk across the street and be in Delaware in Fenwick Island.If I go with husband our 2 kids,my sis&bro in law,Bro & sis in law we are packed in there like a punch of sardines,LOL but its fun and almost a free weekend when we go..

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Although it was a hard decision not to go back to Disney this year, we've decided on Williamsburg Virgina...we're going to do the whole America's 400th thing, the historic triangle.

I know very little about American history (being Canadian and all), and can't wait!

Oh! We're making a stop in Hershey PA on the way down...just for a day or so!

McGeorge
06-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Going to Venice and Rome for my honeymoon!

(Got engaged at DW at least).

thrillme
06-26-2007, 10:09 AM
This year we're going on a big 2 week tour up north. Disney is cheep compared to two weeks and 14 nights in hotels. But I wanted to try something different.

We're going to fly into Cleveland then drive to Sandusky and spend a couple of days at Cedar Point. After that we're going to drive to Falling Water and check ot the house there and possibly the caverns we'll stay in a little B&B that night. Then we drive to Hershey Park and spend a couple of days there. From there we take off to Old Town Virgina and we'll tour Washington DC and the Smithsonion. When we're done with that we'll head over to Gettysburg and do that little drive through tour. At this point we'll be well into our second week with about 4 days left. We'll probably just start making our way back to Cleveland stopping whereever we want and whereever we can find a cheap hotel. I've got a hotel in Cleveland for our last couple of nights (I want to be SURE we're in time for the airport). But other than that we'll probably just be "winging it".

mickeysworld
06-26-2007, 10:12 AM

Wow! Congrats and have a great time in Italy!

We are headed to the beach, Cape San Blas in the panhandle of FL. It's nice and quiet, nothing really to do except laze around the beach all day, go scalloping and crabbing for your dinner, hanging out with cousins, and swimming in the ocean!

MsMin
06-26-2007, 10:31 AM
We are planning on a quick trip to Cape San Blas too. I love it there. I tried to talk the girls into running to Orlando for a quick visit.
The kids are all busy going w/ friends. dd21 is going to Destin in 2 wks and dd25 is going to Denver for a friend's wedding in Aug. She just got back from NYC. It's difficult getting everyone off at the same time.

iheartmickey
06-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Our plans are very boring and cheap ... so we can afford to go on our 10 day WDW trip in Oct! :mickey:

We plan on taking in a few day trips to places nearby:
Hershey for a day or two.
The beach for a day.
Maybe a train ride into the city (New York city that is) to play tourist.

Mostly spending our summer at the pool when we're not a work.

We went over our last year budget and their's only one way to do Disney right ... no other major trips.

RenDuran
06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
We've already taken one of our summer trips....Chincoteague, Va. That was a lot of fun if you're into wildlife and the beach!

In August, we're going to Chattanooga, TN to visit family. That's a fun city to hang out in!

And then our big trip isn't until October....the big Intercot meet!

Nascfan
06-26-2007, 11:07 AM
We're going to Niagara Falls the last week of July. Gas prices have forced us to cut a day off that and doing our annual Cedar Point trip on the way home. Saves on a trip to and from that way. But we should still have plenty of time to do everything we want. Looking forward to that get-away.

gauvin4
06-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Our plans are pretty minimal at this point ( we are headed for WDW for Christmas:santa3::santa::tree:).

We are thinking about making the trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame in New York :bball:( we are big baseball fans. GO RED SOX!:baseball:). Then on the way back stop in Mass to visits family.

SallyP
06-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Well, we live in FL year round so we are packing up the SUV and heading to your towns! Going to do a little bit of the Blue Ridge Parkway, swing over to Gettsyburg and Lancaster PA, Rhinebeck NY (we've never visited the Hudson Valley area before), visit and stay with friends in Sudbury MA (do the Concord area thing); back to Hudson Valley area and stay in Hyde Park, travel on to Harrisburg PA and catch 2 concerts: Ottmar Leibert, a flamenco guitarist and another group I've never heard of Tartan Terrors but they sound fun. And then probably book it home to get ready for our usual hurricane season :(

Goofy Pluto
06-26-2007, 02:08 PM
We're going to the Outer Banks, NC, at the end of August. Staying around Duck and going with family. That's our summer trip this year. Really looking forward to it...

Then we'll be in WDW after Thanksgiving! ;)

Ian
06-26-2007, 02:54 PM
We'll be at the lake house in the Poconos for two weeks starting the 21st of July. I'm psyched, because it will be the first time we get an extended chance to use our new boat!

My in-laws have a place in Cape May, NJ and we'll be down there for a long weekend in August and probably a few other times.

Nothing else firm right now, but we're considering a few other things.

quicksand
06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
8 days of sun and fun on Hilton Head Island:)

tink'72
06-26-2007, 03:39 PM
The third week in July we are headed to Wildwood New Jersey to sit on the beach:sun:
We've never been and are looking forward to doing nothing while we are down there!

*Liz*
06-26-2007, 03:39 PM
I was in Disney from August through May so I'm pretty Disneyed out. :faint: Sunday we're leaving for a 7 day cruise on the NCL Crown to Bermuda. I've never been anywhere tropical, unless you count Orlando, so I'm reeeeally excited! :boat: :sail:

At the end of the month we take our annual week long trip down to the Jersey shore and Atlantic City. :surfing: :vacation:

And in August I visit my boyfriend in Indiana. :hug: He borders Louisville so I get to go back to there. We're also taking day trips to Indianapolis, never been, and to Cinncinati, never been to Ohio. :photo: I can't wait! :heart:

princessjojo
06-26-2007, 03:58 PM
We're going to the Outer Banks, NC, at the end of August...

You should try to ge down to around Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills/Kitty Hawk. Jockey's Ridge is great, the dunes are HUGE and lots of fun, especially if you have kids. The Wright Brother's Memorial can be great too if you're into :plane:. There's the aquarium as well. Have fun there. It's been a long time since I've been for fun, was there in May on a field trip with older DS.

poohmom787
06-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks to our friends who are getting married July 2nd, my DH and I are headed to Hawaii this Friday for a week. I have never been and am excited to be going.

Since I have successfully DISNEY'd my husband out, I had to give up a year or two of heading to WDW. The girls and I are going to DL for four days in November, since I would have Disney withdrawal if we didn't.

It's weird, but I am still not packed and not as excited as I normally am for our WDW Vacations. For those I am packed two weeks in advance and am chomping at the bit to get on the plane and be on my way. I guess I am just a Disney Freak.

merlinmagic4
06-26-2007, 09:42 PM
We camp on a beautiful, primitive island off the coast of Cape Cod. There are only 11 camp sites and all but one are "beach front". The camp sites are in a wooded area overlooking the bay. It is really beautiful. Actually, I am only home tonight because my son got sick - it was supposed to be our third night there tonight. It was a BEAUTIFUL day and I'm hoping we can get back there tomorrow!!! It's only a 20 minute boat ride from home but it feels like we are in paradise!!:cloud9:

January-2007
06-26-2007, 10:31 PM
We went to WDW in May/June and are going back in September so those are our major summer vacations but we plan to do a few weekend camping trips locally throughout the summer as well. DH has a cold so we're waiting for him to feel better before we go. After we got married we moved close to where we like to camp. This past Saturday we hiked on the Appalation (I don't know if that's spelled right...) Trail which is just a short drive away. Next summer we're planning to go to the Poconos and maybe in the Fall to NYC. It's always funny when people vacation where you live, isn't it? Like we're still only 1 1/2 hours from DC, I've been to the museums so much though!

Vigan
06-27-2007, 05:12 AM

That sounds wonderful Vandoren!!! Good luck and best wishes for the wedding. :congrats:

I am off to Bermuda!! :joy: Next Wednesday - can't wait - lots of lovely sunshine and blue seas. Might fit a visit in to WDW later in the year - even considering being thre for the 10th Anniversary!!! :party:

IceRef
06-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Haven't quite figured out if this qualifies as a vacation just yet ..... jumping on tour with our son's Drum and Bugle Corps in Texas to help drive the last 2,000 miles of the summer tour into Pasadena, CA for the DCI Finals week. Should be great watching the corps perform in the Rose Bowl.

Have to remember the relaxation I gathered while at WDW in May to make up the difference.

ChipDale
06-29-2007, 10:09 AM
After our trip to Disneyland at the end of July, we're spending a week in Northern :pine: Wisconsin, then at the end of September we're going to Ireland :stpattys: and London! :cool:

TooGoofy
06-29-2007, 06:56 PM
After our WDW trip in July (just two more days!), we are taking my parents to Campobello Island, Canada for three nights and then to Bar Harbor, ME for four nights. They are celebrating their 80th birthdays and 60th wedding anniversary this year, so this is our present to them.

Christine
06-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Not too much here...

for the fourth of July, we're going to Shreveport to the Louisiana Boardwalk.

Then later in July, we'll spend about 3-4 days in Dallas to shop, watch a baseball game, and do Six Flags :ack: (DD earned a free ticket in school and insists on using it!)

Other than a day trip or two to the zoo, etc, that's about it. :bored:

CosmicRay
07-04-2007, 10:23 PM
We are going to Estes Park, CO at the end of August. DH used to go there every year when he was a boy so he's really excited about taking our kids to places he has been to when he was a kid.

RedSoxFan
07-08-2007, 09:27 PM
We're leaving for Niagara Falls (Canada side) on Sat, July 21st for 4 days. Also going to do a college tour for Kyle at U. of Buffalo while we are up there. On Wed, July 25 we will head to Cleveland to watch two Red Sox games, go to Cedar Point Amusement Park and sightsee. Looking forward to our family vacation.

caryrae
07-09-2007, 09:16 AM
We don't have a trip planned for this summer but we have one planned for next April. We just bought our airline tickets last night. We are flying into Key West and staying there for 4 nights then a 4 day road trip to Fort Myers, FL making stops along the way. This will be our first time going to Florida and NOT go to Disney, which makes me kinda sad. We did go to Key West before and then drove to Disney World for 4 days.

c&d
07-09-2007, 10:56 AM
We're heading out west for 9 days in Yellowstone. Then off to CA for a week to visit family and a short trip to Sequoia National Park. I'm soooo looking forward to this trip.

jrkcr
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I too am going to National Parks this summer. I have a full schedule planned including Timpanogos Cave(utah), Salt lake(utah), Arches(utah),Fossil butte(wyoming). And this fall, I hope to see Yellowstone, Rocky Mtn Nat'l park(co)and Yosemite(ca). And in the winter, the Grand Canyon(az), Mesa Verde(co) and the Great Sand Dunes(co). And maybe next spring, Mount Hood, Rainer, Mt St Helens,Crater Lake,and the Oregon Caves.

Since we are tempoarily living in Nevada for the next 9 months, I am squeezing in all I can!!

CleveSJM
07-10-2007, 01:53 PM
... And maybe next spring, Mount Hood, Rainer, Mt St Helens,Crater Lake,and the Oregon Caves.

In early June I was in WA for work and stayed for a little vacation. I would highly recommend putting Olympic in your plan. Tidepools to glaciers... Nice!!! :thumbsup:

CleveSJM
07-10-2007, 01:57 PM
After our WDW trip in July (just two more days!), we are taking my parents to Campobello Island, Canada for three nights and then to Bar Harbor, ME for four nights. They are celebrating their 80th birthdays and 60th wedding anniversary this year, so this is our present to them.

Just got back from a week in Bar Harbor. First time to Maine... What a great time! I recommend a Puffin & Whale Watch (saw 3 humpbacks including a mother and calf) and the Wonderland trail. Just an easy trail out to the ocean's edge for tidepooling. Go when the tide is low and you'll see a lot of critters. Route 66 was a great restaurant for the kids.

biodtl
07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
We've already spent a short week in Asheville and the first week of August, we're spending a week in Myrtle Beach with my inlaws. All 65 of them!! I was afrid to go for years, because hello? 65 in-laws?? But actually, we went 2 years ago and found that it was a blast. There's too many people for anyone to really get on your nerves or boss you around.

It's actually the only real relaxing I do on a vacation, since the kids have all their cousins as playmates and their aunts to dote on them, so mom can sit on the beach and relax.

But fall 2008, it's back to WDW!

fielin
07-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Being in France, and having visited WDW in March, we obviously couldn't enjoy a second visit this year...

So, we chose that the next best thing was to go to spain, in PortAventura, the place originally supposed to become Eurodisneyland !

Why not Eurodisneyland itself ? Because we're planning on going in January 2008, when the local Hollywood Tower opens ! :number1:

Flower
07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Our upcoming vacation plans include:

We spent a weekend in Niagara Falls Canada in June (For father's day) and stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge.

In July we made a quick 1 night get-away to Kingston Ontario - Kingston is a beautiful town and very close to Gananoque and the 1000 Islands.

In August we have 1 week booked at a camp ground in Cobourg Ontario it is situated right on the beach of the very cold Lake Ontario, fortunately there is a pool behind it and a kids play 'n'splash area beside it.

September we are heading to WDW for 11 days!!!!!

In October we have my B-I-L's wedding at the military base, Base Borden, near Barrie Ontario (We are staying in Alliston for 2 nights).

And since we have vacation time off at Christmas, DH has suggested we head to his parents Florida home for the holidays and extend it to include a stay at WDW and he can run the marathon in January!!! This would be the last trip for awhile as DH will be starting an intense training program at work, and we will have both kids in full-time daycare for the next few months (ouch!) I don't know if this trip will happen or not.

Figgyluv03
07-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Atlantic City Air Show in August, Longwood Garden and Canoeing in the Pine Barrons and then for Labor Day weekend, we'll probably be at DBf's parents shore house outside Dewey Beach, DE!!!

The Fireman's Convention in Wildwood if DBf can get out of work that weekend!!

Our big trip to Disney isn't until next year!

luvdiznee
08-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Since we went to Disney in May this year and are going again in Sept this year, the only things we do in the summer are visiting local/much smaller theme parks and the beach. However next spring we are thinking of Vegas! :thedolls:

Dedivah
08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
We did WDW in August. We are taking our moms on a cruise in Sept for their birthdays.

Mfarquar
09-14-2007, 11:01 AM
This is my first year in over five years that I haven't done a Disney World trip! :(

However, it was for GOOD reason. Honeymoon! :lei: :papple: :tikki:

Although, we love Disney, we wanted to try somewhere we both had never been, and the logical answer for us was Hawaii.

We spent 16 nights, 16 days split up among The Big Island (Fairmont Orchid - 6 nights), Kauai (Sheraton Poipu Beach -4 nights), and Waikiki Beach, Oahu (Halekulani - 6 night). It was AMAZING. I cannot even begin to describe the beauty - everything was breathtaking. We're already starting a fund to go back for trip on our 5th anniversary haha.

This fall we're doing the unthinkable - doing a 3 night Universal trip (gasp! I know!). We absolutely LOVE Halloween Horror Nights, and have attended it the past 2 years. Because we can't get a lot of time off work and are still paying our bills from HI, we decided to just do three nights at the Royal Pacific, so we don't have to rent a car and so that we get the front of the line express pass as hotel guests. I'm sad that we're not doing Disney, but we'll just have to schedule a fall trip next year - hopefully with free dining!! :) :) :)

Disney1
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm joining my sister for a 3 week Europeon vacation in just 21 days!!! :blush:

CleveSJM
09-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm joining my sister for a 3 week Europeon vacation in just 21 days!!! :blush:

Very nice! But that can still be a little Disney-esque if you get just east of Paris. I just got back from a 2 week business trip but found some time on the weekend to hit DLRP. The new Crush Coaster at Disney Studios over there is great.

Enjoy Europe!

Disney1
09-25-2007, 10:27 AM
We are going to Paris, but I don't think we'll be able to squeeze-in Disney. I'll just have to go back another time. And Thank you, I know we will have a great time. :D