PDA

View Full Version : Hairspray (2007) [Merged Threads]

NotaGeek
06-26-2007, 02:29 AM
Although the original was phenomenal and was definitely a piece of cinematic history, and it does bother me that in all the interviews I have seen no one mentions the original cast, director, nothing, I am excited to see Disney cutie Zack Efron in his roll! Is anyone else looking forward to this premier?

Check out the Official Hairspray Yahoo Movie (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809751355/info) page for trailers and all the normal pre-release stuff.

Here are the 2 best posters (in my opinion! :))

ChipnDaleGal
06-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Oh Michael, Dakota and I are totally excited to see this movie. That and Harry Potter are our two movies we are longing to finnaly open. We saw Hairspray on Broadway last summer and just fell in love with it. I think this movie has a terrific cast and will be very entertaining. :thumbsup:

J9
06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh I'm sooooo excited for this!!!

I heard that on the soundtrack for the movie all of the Tracys - Nikki Blonsky, Marissa Jaret Winkour, and Rikki Lake perform "I'm a Big Girl Now."

Does anyone know if the secret track "Blood on the Pavement" from the Broadway soundtrack is going to be in the movie? It's such a morbid song, but its one of my favorites. It makes me laugh every time!

harlowandthemermaid
06-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I grew up near Baltimore and have a soft spot for John Waters. I just can't believe this is being remade. John Waters captured the funny side of Bmore in his movies, they were so easy to laugh with, especially if you are from here and catch the inside jokes. I guess a remake of pink flamingos is in the works too? ;)

2Epcot
06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I heard that on the soundtrack for the movie all of the Tracys - Nikki Blonsky, Marissa Jaret Winkour, and Rikki Lake perform "I'm a Big Girl Now."

That's pretty cool. Marissa Jaret Winkour used to be my next door neighbor when I first moved to Hollywood. Many years later she came back to LA to do the role for her LA friends, which was a great show, and she was great in the role. I've watched a few clips of the movie, and I'm looking forward to this film as well. The lead actress for the film also looks to be very good.

RedSoxFan
06-28-2007, 04:27 PM
DD10 (Kourtney) can't wait to see this movie. She is so obsessed with Zac Efron. I look forward to watching it with her.:)

WDWFREAK101
07-03-2007, 07:58 AM
This movie Hairspray is coming out soon, and i got to ask is everybody comfortable with the fact that John Travolta wears a dress and wears Make-up?

lol :haha:

SBETigg
07-03-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm comfortable with it. It was pretty funny to see him in the ads. He looks better than I expected!

Dracula766
07-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I grew up near Baltimore and have a soft spot for John Waters. I just can't believe this is being remade. John Waters captured the funny side of Bmore in his movies, they were so easy to laugh with, especially if you are from here and catch the inside jokes. I guess a remake of pink flamingos is in the works too? ;)

ummm... They made a movie of a musical that was a movie. :confused:

I have no words for John Tavolta in drag other than :ack:

I don't think anyone could ever remake Pink Flamingo's even if they tried. There's no way that the John Waters/ Divine combo could be duplicated.

ChipnDaleGal
07-04-2007, 06:53 AM
This movie Hairspray is coming out soon, and i got to ask is everybody comfortable with the fact that John Travolta wears a dress and wears Make-up?

lol :haha:

I have seen the stage production twice and believe me, he is the best looking Edna I have seen! Having that role played by a man really adds to the humor of the play. Judging by the previews I have seen, John Travolta is going to do a great job with it. We are so excited that we are on needle and pins now waiting!

Fantasmic
07-05-2007, 07:51 AM
ummm... They made a movie of a musical that was a movie. :confused:

Just like the producers!

I can't wait for this movie!!!

ImagiAsh
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I can't wait for this movie! I just saw the show on Broadway a few months ago. :thumbsup:

NotaGeek
07-13-2007, 02:54 AM
I just realized this movie opens next week! this hasn't been a bad summer of movies...

ChipnDaleGal
07-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Yep - next Friday!! I predict that my daughter and I see it twice next weekend!! :yay:

Disney_or_bust
07-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm not crazy about Travolta. But there is something alluring about Zac Efrons voice lol. Oh I can't wait to see it!

Babyboo875
07-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I saw a sneak preview Hairspray last night it was great, tons of music and dance numbers, ten times more than the orginal. For some reason I still like the orginal better though (maybe cause I'm tired of remakes). But anyways John Travolta was hilarious, Chris Walken was awesome per usual(yes, he sings and dances!), Michelle Pfeiffer was amazing and she looked amazing also. Queen Latifah was great. Elijah Kelley was another that stood out. James Marsden was also hilarious. Nikki Blonsky did good for her first starring role. And Amanda Bynes was good also. I'm just mentioning what I thought of the performances cause I don't want to give away how the musical/dance numbers went, so you can see it for yourself.

I give it: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup: 3 happy faces out of four.

or 8.5 out of 10

2Epcot
07-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Kind of funny I was reading this thread again about to post that I edited a segment on this film last week .... got to look at all the clips, and I just love the film (The movie is done by the same producers as the Chicago musical film). Just then my producer came in and asked me if I still has the segment on my computer becuase she wants to add more music to it. Of course I was thrilled becuase the songs, and the dancing in this is so good. I was surprised there are also so many actors in this film I really enjoy watching ... I guess I hadn't paid too much attention to the trailer before I started working on this segment last week. I can't wait to see the actual film on Friday.

BrerSchultzy
07-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I saw a sneak preview Hairspray last night it was great, tons of music and dance numbers, ten times more than the orginal. For some reason I still like the orginal better though (maybe cause I'm tired of remakes).

I'm glad you liked it, but this isn't a "remake". It's a brand new movie, based on the Musical.

John Waters had a very huge part in writing the musical (because he says he wants high schools to do this play, so that the "fat girl and drag queen can finally get the lead in something"...that's a quote from the original playbill to Hairspray the Musical).

I am excited to see this, but does anyone know why Harvey Fierstein wasn't offered the role of Edna? He's so great on the soundtrack. John Travolta just seems all wrong to me for some reason.

Hairspray The Musical: The Movie is going to attract a completely different audience than Hairpsray the Movie. And I have a feeling it will be a very big hit before all is said and done.

RedSoxFan
07-19-2007, 12:49 PM
The new stadium seating theatre opens up tomorrow in Ithaca with Hairspray showing on two screens. I bought tickets yesterday for Kourtney and I for the 11am show. She is so excited and can't wait to see Zac Efron. The best part of the new theatre is that they're bringing back Pirates #3 so we're all going to see that tomorrow afternoon (already bought those tickets too) as we never saw it. It's going to be a great Friday.:mickey:

NotaGeek
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
The new stadium seating theatre opens up tomorrow in Ithaca with Hairspray showing on two screens. I bought tickets yesterday for Kourtney and I for the 11am show. She is so excited and can't wait to see Zac Efron. The best part of the new theatre is that they're bringing back Pirates #3 so we're all going to see that tomorrow afternoon (already bought those tickets too) as we never saw it. It's going to be a great Friday.:mickey:

Once you try stadium seating, nothing else will do. We got it years ago here in Phoenix, and I am a theatre snob now ... no stadium seating? I won't waste my money! :thumbsup: enjoy the movies!

RedSoxFan
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Let me just say that HAIRSPRAY was a fantastic movie. The music, dancing, costumes -- everything about it was just wonderful. And watching Kourtney's eyes light up everytime Zac Efron was on -- priceless. As for the new stadium seating theatre -- there is no other way to watch a movie.

fig's disney
07-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Wow an awesome family friendly movie that was quite funny and didn't have a dull moment:thumbsup:. Can't really think of anything else to say but, go support this movie and what it stands for.

wdwnomad
07-21-2007, 09:41 PM
I saw the movie today and thought it was great. I didn't think there was a dull moment in it. Lots of singing and dancing. Had a lot of laughs too. I'm not a huge John Travolta fan but I thought he was great in the movie. He was very funny and loved his accent.

BrerSchultzy
07-21-2007, 11:33 PM
What a fantastic movie! And what's more, I was watching how they cast Nikki Blonsky as Tracy...she just decided to show up at an open casting call (had never done anything before), and when they cast her, she was working at a Cold Stone Creamery. How cool is that?

Oh...and how about John Waters' cameo? Priceless.

TheDuckRocks
07-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I LOVED IT! LOVED IT! LOVED IT!

Oh...and how about John Waters' cameo? Priceless.

And how about Ricki Lake....how cool was that!

I was sooooo glad they didn't make it the John Travolta movie, was really worried about that.

NJDad
07-22-2007, 09:00 PM
DW loved it, DD liked it (she saw the Broadway version and was comparing it with that) and I liked it (had only seen the original film).

I thought the songs started to all sound the same, pretty much, but lots of talent onscreen. Enjoyed the song over the end credits (Mama I'm A Big Girl Now) more than many of the songs in the actual film.

The message was a little simple, and overdone.

Elijah Kelley was awesome-I thought he might make a great Sam Cooke if they ever did a biopic on him, then read Kelley's gonna play Sammy Davis Jr in a biopic...

kmo84
07-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I took my two DD's to see it and we all really enjoyed it.

The cast was great. The number with Travolta and Christopher Walken was worth the price of admission alone.

2Epcot
07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Once you try stadium seating, nothing else will do. We got it years ago here in Phoenix, and I am a theatre snob now ... no stadium seating? I won't waste my money! :thumbsup: enjoy the movies!

I'm the same Michael. I remember when the first stadium seat theaters opened in Phoenix, when I still lived there. Seems recent, but been over 10 years now. I only go to those too.

As far as Hairspray, I also thought it was wonderful. Great songs from the beginning to the end. Such a great cast ... All of the principal characters (Travolta, Walken, Pheiffer, Latifah, who I'm fans of all) were performed fantastic, and especially for Nikki Blonsky in her first role. Looks like she will have a great career ahead.

Zac, just like in High School Musical, was awesome. In some of the smaller parts, I enjoyed Allison Janney from "The West Wing" as Penny's mom. Also, Amanda Bynes, who I have always though had natural comedic talent on her own show, did a great job in her part as Penny ... Especially considering she didn't have a lot of lines, so much of her character was just in her expressions. James Marsden was perfect, and Elijah Kelley was also wonderful.

Bethis26fan
07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
We saw this weekend as well and loved. I laughed till I had tears in my eyes. :)

ChipnDaleGal
07-24-2007, 05:36 AM
We saw it last night! It was just pure joy for both my daughter and myself!! Casting could not have been better, the singing and dancing were great, and they captured the spirit of the wonderful theatre production. Could Nikki Blonsky be any cuter or more talented? She and John Travolta were just perfect together. I hope we can find the time to see this a few more times this summer and I can not wait to add this to my DVD collection!! :thumbsup:

NotaGeek
07-24-2007, 02:00 PM
We saw it last night! It was just pure joy for both my daughter and myself!! Casting could not have been better, the singing and dancing were great, and they captured the spirit of the wonderful theatre production. Could Nikki Blonsky be any cuter or more talented? She and John Travolta were just perfect together. I hope we can find the time to see this a few more times this summer and I can not wait to add this to my DVD collection!! :thumbsup:

I was waiting for your input, ok, I guess I will go see it! :)

ChipnDaleGal
07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
I was waiting for your input, ok, I guess I will go see it! :)

Have you ever seen the stage version, Michael? There were a few changes crossing back to a movie, but the best parts all came through and the casting just makes it all perfect! Watch for John Waters as the flasher in the opening number. I have read that he is very pleased with this new movie and thinks Nikki Blonsky is a doll.

NotaGeek
07-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Have you ever seen the stage version, Michael? There were a few changes crossing back to a movie, but the best parts all came through and the casting just makes it all perfect! Watch for John Waters as the flasher in the opening number. I have read that he is very pleased with this new movie and thinks Nikki Blonsky is a doll.

Nope, I have never seen it, but I do know the music. i can't wait really... maybe tomorrow.

DisneyDudet
07-25-2007, 11:08 PM
It was great! I love musicals anyway... but it was great that the producer was also the choreographer!

It was nice to see Zac Efron sing the music, instead of Drew Seeley (even though I LOVE Drew.. awesome voice!!). Zac has an awesome voice by himself (can't wait for HSM:2!)

Nikki Blonsky was amazing. She played the part of Tracy so well.

John Travolta was just hysterical! I will never say "iron" the same!!!

Elijah Kelley was great. Taylor Parks as Inez stole the show (as she is supposed to!).

Now, I have NEVER been a fan of Michelle Pfeiffer's singing voice. I don't know know what it is, I haven't liked it since Grease 2.

It was a great movie with a message we all need to hear over and over, with all the hate in this world. Its one thing about musicals... the message in every single one never gets old.

DisneyLove06
07-26-2007, 02:02 PM
I have to add here and say that Hairspray was an awesome movie. I saw it on Tuesday with my sisters, and im going again on Friday with one of my sisters and a friend. I thought it was really fun and energetic, but I never got to experience the musical so I can't compare..

Anyways, I am really impressed with James Marsden's performance..what a great voice. I knew he sang on Ally McBeal but I never saw that show. All the cast members did a great job but I gotta say James was a stand-out for me. =)

threeh
07-26-2007, 04:12 PM
My DD's and I just saw Hairspray and I really liked it. I love Zac Ephron, he's cute. Well done and enjoyable. I even got teary eyed at some parts but I think I'm still coming down from my harry potter high, hehe!!!:thumbsup:

citizensnoopy
07-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Saw Hairspray for the second time today! I'll definitely buy it when it comes out on DVD. The casting was perfect! I was smiling throughout the whole movie. :D

DisneyGiant
07-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I LOVED IT! LOVED IT! LOVED IT!

And how about Ricki Lake....how cool was that!

I was sooooo glad they didn't make it the John Travolta movie, was really worried about that.

You took the words right out of my mouth! ;)

I think I would vote this the BEST movie of the summer!!!

The kids loved it too. And its a funny semi-quasi history lesson to boot!

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE DVD comes out!

Disney Babe
07-30-2007, 10:05 PM
So good I cried tears of joy! Everyone was fabulous. I wanted to applaud after some of the songs! I have always enjoyed musicals and it is a real treat to go to a movie and hear and see talent that I would have to pay so much more to enjoy in a performing arts theater.

I knew the backstory on Nikki Blonsky and saw her singing on some of the TV shows before I saw the movie. Knowing how she was chosen to play Tracy made the opening song even better. I have never seen Hairspray before and, boy, was I missing something special.

One of my favorite songs was "Mama Welcome to the 60's". As a baby boomer I can't tell you how proud that song made me feel. We really did make changes that mattered! (More tears flowing during that song.)

I thought the artistry on the end credits was very 60's and cool and the extra songs are so cute. I liked the one about cooties.:blush:

Not only am I going to see this movie again, I'm going to buy the soundtrack!

I don't think it's the best movie of the summer. It's the best movie of the year.:cheer:

2Epcot
07-31-2007, 02:51 AM
New Line Cinema will be releasing a sing-along version of Hairspray soon. So if you want to go back and sing with the characters, here is your chance.

Hairspray Sing-A-Long!

July 30th, 2007
USA TODAY-

If you couldn’t stop the beat in your head after hearing the catchy ’60s-style tunes from Hairspray, now you can really let your hair down during special singalong screenings.

Starting Aug. 3 in 30 or more cities, including New York and Los Angeles, theaters will be showing the Broadway-based musical starring John Travolta and newcomer Nikki Blonsky with lyric subtitles for each song.

“The movie is so participatory, with everyone leaving the theater singing and dancing with a smile on their faces,” says Russell Schwartz, head of domestic marketing for New Line Cinema. “We figured why not let the experience start from the beginning.”

DisneyDudet
07-31-2007, 12:25 PM
I saw it for the second time and I love it even more! I have even found a bootleg on a certain internet video site... minus the first 7 min!

I want to see it again! I may not see the one with the lyrics, but I'll see it again before it comes on DVD.. and it better do that soon! I have to wait til December for Pirates... so this better come before... if its after Christmas.. I'll just freak!

I love it. The soundtrack is even better than the movie because there's songs not on the movie!

Oh.. and Zac Efron's voice is DEVINE!!!

Jared
08-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Hairspray is the rare movie musical that has its own legs--the film does not use the musical as a crutch. The film uses the stage production as a guideline, not a blueprint.

The cast was the most anticipated part of this film since the buzz began. Virtually everybody in every role was perfect. Those who idolize Harvey Fierstein's portrayal of Edna Turnblad may cringe when thinking about John Travolta trying the role, but give Danny Zuko a chance! Travolta's version of Edna is not the same as Fierstein's, but it is funny and different. "(You're) Timeless to Me"--a romantic duet between Edna (Travolta) and Wilbur Turnblad (Christopher Walken)--was my favorite scene of the entire movie.

The rest of the cast did solid jobs, including former Nickelodeon chick Amanda Bynes (I grew up watching her on such classics as "All That" and "The Amanda Show") as Penny Pingleton--almost always my favorite character with her perfect wardrobe, overbearing mother and sexual innuendos.

Can anybody believe Zac Efron went from "High School Musical" to Link Larkin? I was more skeptical of Efron in this film than I was Travolta, but he was perfect. He has such wonderful facial expressions, and his part of "You Can't Stop the Beat" was perfectly timed.

I left the theater with a gigantic smile on my face wanting more. In some ways, I enjoyed "Hairspray" more than December's "Dreamgirls." "Hairspray" kept me engaged from the first beat to the final note. Though "Dreamgirls" was my favorite film of 2006 and a movie I have watched probably six times, I begin to tire midway through the second act.

Overall, "Hairspray" was my third-favorite movie of this summer behind "Once" and "Ratatouille."

Melanie
08-03-2007, 08:45 AM
I drug my boys to the theater tonight to see 'Hairspray' with me. One enjoyed it, the other only saw about 30 minutes of it. ;) Being a 'Hairspray' newbie - I loved it! Caught myself moving in my seat and smiling a lot.

Particularly liked Michelle Pfeiffer (weird - a lot of her moves/characteristics reminded me of her 'Grease 2' role) and Amanda Bynes (too darn funny). James Marsden is definitely on my radar these days. :heart: Can't wait to see him in 'Enchanted'.

NotaGeek
08-14-2007, 03:54 AM
OH MY GOSH! I give in, I absolutely LOVED the movie! I was taken from the first song ... and even managed to enjoy John Travolta ... I agree with Melanie, Michelle reminded me of Grease 2 and baby she wants a COOL RIDER! Wonderful film and thanks to 2 FABULOUS friends I have the soundtrack already for my car tomorrow!

Disney Babe
09-04-2007, 04:47 AM
I saw Hairspray again Sunday. I thought it would be good to get into a movie theater after church, since the forecast was for temps to climb to 106 degrees or more.

It was really hard to sit still in my seat and I wanted to sing along. Then I realized - there is a sing along version!! So, now I definitely want to see that. I found a theater in my area that is listed as one of the theaters that has the sing along version, but when I look up the times it just says Hairspray without the words sing along.

Has anyone been to see the sing along version - or plans to see it? I'm wondering if people actually get into it and participate or if the majority of the audience ends up being people who thought they were going to see the "normal" version.

DisneyDudet
09-04-2007, 10:10 PM
I have heard about them, but I don't have time to go to one, nor do I have enough fanatic friends to go with me. I would like to go, but I guess I'll have to wait to have my own sing along version at home... alone....

By the way, when is it supposed to come out on DVD? I heard November, but I can't find any confirmation yet.

Disney Babe
09-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Well, I thought I'd find a bunch of "big" friends and then a bunch of blonde friends and we could really belt it out during "Big, Blonde, and Beautiful". I'm not big or blonde, but I am beautiful. :blush:

I haven't heard about the DVD release date. I would imagine it would be a good Christmas seller if it is released in November.

Jared
09-06-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't think "Hairspray" has a DVD release date yet. I bet it'll come out in the fall for the holiday season.

ChipnDaleGal
09-06-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't think "Hairspray" has a DVD release date yet. I bet it'll come out in the fall for the holiday season.

A DVD release site that I frequent is estimating a December 2007 release. I think that sounds right so it can capitalize on the holiday season. I know what my daughter and I will be doing over her Christmas school break if we have that DVD available to us. :D

LaDracul
09-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I did see it and I liked it (Despite the fact I felt that Harvey Fierstein or Paul Vogt should've been Edna...I just didn't like Travolta.)...though I really wish more movies were like it.

And by that, I was absolutely disgusted that they were making fun of an overweight girl in this new movie, "Good Luck Chuck". It looked to me that she was an overeater because people treated her badly, the schlubby guy in it says she's going to end up alone, and I'm hoping the movie will have the fairness to have her and the schlubby guy fall in love. I mean, it's really wrong to make fun of people who have issues that aren't meant for ridicule. I like seeing an average girl get the guy. It should happen in more movies. Thus, I'm not giving Lionsgate my money if they're going to keep making movies that ridicule people with problems.

ChipnDaleGal
09-20-2007, 02:54 PM
:joy: I just saw a release date of November 20th for Hairspray DVD!!! I know what we will be watching on Thanksgiving Weekend!! :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
09-20-2007, 02:59 PM
We often listen to the soundtrack during breakfast (DS3 loves wagging his finger at me when he sings Mama I'm a Big Girl Now -- Diana Ross, he ain't!) -- DS9 wants to see the movie since he now knows the music, and I have told him about the story -- It may not be Thanksgiving up here in Canada, but I know what we'll be watching that weekend as well! :clappy:

DisneyDudet
09-20-2007, 04:58 PM
:joy: I just saw a release date of November 20th for Hairspray DVD!!! I know what we will be watching on Thanksgiving Weekend!! :thumbsup:

How exciting! I've been waiting for the official date, since someone leaked it on the Teen Choice Awards for November!

I'm so excited!

RedSoxFan
09-22-2007, 09:53 PM
DD and I can't wait for the DVD release on 11/20. We went to see it again last week. Great the second time around.

dw2649
09-24-2007, 02:29 AM
I just preordered my copy of the Hairspray 2 disk Shake and Shimmy edition from Amazon.com (and used 2-day shipping, so at the very latest I'll get it on friday, nov. 23rd). There is no way that you will catch me in any store like best buy, circuit city, etc... that week. Nosiree. I do not like to deal with those holiday crowds. :noway::nono:

Melanie
09-24-2007, 03:26 AM
I just preordered my copy of the Hairspray 2 disk Shake and Shimmy edition from Amazon.com

Funny you should mention that. ;)

Order through the following links, and help INTERCOT in the process. It's a win-win for everyone! :dance:

Hairspray (Full-Screen Single-Disc Edition) (2007) (http://www.amazon.com/Hairspray-Full-Screen-Single-Disc-John-Travolta/dp/B000W4KT64/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-4607337-9399242?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190618064&sr=1-2)

Hairspray (Widescreen Single-Disc Edition) (2007) (http://www.amazon.com/Hairspray-Widescreen-Single-Disc-John-Travolta/dp/B000W4KT6E/ref=sr_1_10/002-4607337-9399242?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190618064&sr=1-10)

Hairspray (Two-Disc Special Edition) (2007) (http://www.amazon.com/Hairspray-Two-Disc-Special-John-Travolta/dp/B000W4HJ44/ref=sr_1_7/002-4607337-9399242?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190618064&sr=1-7)