PDA

View Full Version : converse shoes at the park

septembergirl
06-26-2007, 02:28 AM
My DSs love converse tennis shoes - not the sport kind but the canvas high tops. They don't seem to have much support. Is it a mistake to let them wear them in the parks?

JPL
06-26-2007, 08:40 AM
I have seen people wearing them in the parks. I have no personal experience with them but I would think cushioning would be a bigger problem than support. Your are doing alot of walking and your feet are absorbing alot of shock. I would recommend a good pair of walking or running shoes.

SBETigg
06-26-2007, 08:50 AM
I think their feet will be killing them at the end of the day. There just isn't enough foot support for a long day in the parks, in my opinion. I think wearing them would be a mistake, yes, but I also can't imagine people surviving in flip-flops all day and it happens. If it's a big issue for them, it wouldn't hurt to try it and see and have a better pair of shoes back at the room for the next day.

WonderlandsMostWanted
06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I can see it both ways. I'm someone who's been wearing Chuck Taylor's (the Converse canvas All Star shoes) for years and they are typically very comforable for me. But, after a really long day of walking, like Disney, I can see where the lack of cushion/shock absorbtion could get uncomfy. Maybe, if you can't get them into other shoes, you can at least get them some good gel insoles to stick in the shoes to help.

mainemajor
06-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I would not wear them because they give very little support and I find them uncomfortable after about an hour of wear. Another side point about these is that tend to stink a lot the longer someone wears them. Not a pleasent experience for anyone nearby

Khfan13
06-26-2007, 06:29 PM
:secret:I know I wore mine in 2005, and I don't remember my feet huring to badly. I think it helps if you are used to wearing them, then you don't really notice it anymore:blush:...

Donald A
06-26-2007, 06:40 PM
As a podiatrist, I would say that they lack enough support for MOST people.

LoriMistress
06-26-2007, 06:50 PM
DH and I love our chucks (converse). I have about seven different pair. DH brought his chucks and his Vans at WDW in November. On the first day, his feet were absolutely sore and his shoes weren't good for wearing when the park was raining. (I told him about the weather and he thought some rain wouldn't kill him.) His feet were completely soaked. He wore his Vans for the rest of the trip. I would bring an extra pair of shoes in case if your kids can't handle their chucks in the park.

Clotho
06-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I dunno. I think it is near impossible to know what will be comfortable for different folks. I have known people who wear flip-flops all the time, and while I think MY feet would be sore, they are quite happy. So, too, with converse. Or even heels (ridiculous, but some women do wear them all day every day and consider them "walking shoes").

I always bring a few pairs of shoes. Not only because I can't know which ones will make my feet sore, but so that I can give my feet a "break" from one while I try the others for a few days. I have a pair of hiking sandals, a pair of tennis shoes, and some ":dressier" shoes. THis time I will also bring Crocs for the first time.

vamaggie
06-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Tell them they can wear them but if their feet hurt and they complain, then you are going to throw them out!!! :thedolls: DS got blisters on his feet because he wore his Crocs and tried to play baseball in them even though I told him not to. He learned the hard (painful) way that sometimes mom does know best!

GrmGrninGost
06-26-2007, 09:09 PM
This is not something to fight over. Simply allow him to wear them but have a more cushioned pair of shoes available if he needs them.:mickey:

Mickey91
06-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I agree. The kids are used to wearing certain shoes all the time anyway. Let him wear them and if he isn't comfortable later on, have a better pair to switch to. Kids tend to be easier to get along with if they have their way on the small stuff. Have fun!:mickey:

malz288
06-27-2007, 12:30 AM
i just got back from the world a couple of days ago. i was there a week, and i wore my chucks the entire time. my feet did not hurt any worse than they hurt when i wore other walking shoes. i say, go for it, but make sure the shoes are worn in!

Donald A
06-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I will chime in again and say that if his feet get so uncomfortable that he needs to switch into another pair of shoes, it may already be too late. This "shoe switch" may not be enough to reduce the foot pain quickly enough to let him enjoy walking around these large parks. I think your concern is justified. If your son's feet hurt you suffer too as you probably spent good money to be able to watch your son enjoy this wonderful place.

I see foot pain from inappropriate shoes every day.

Mikey Piano 23
06-27-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't have any problems with my feet or legs and I usually just walk around all day in flip flops and I am fine. However, during the week I alternate all of my shoes. One day I will wear my Birkenstock's, the next day I will wear flip flops and the next day I will wear sneakers. If he switches shoes I think he will be ok. (Just my opinion :thumbsup:)

RockChalkKimball
06-27-2007, 07:56 PM
My only caution would be to be sure that if he wears them, be sure they are snuggly tied. My DD went through a faze where it was cool to wear high tops, but not to tie them. He did that one day and by the end of the day his ankles were so sore he litterally was crying. Needless to say, he tied his shoes the rest of the trip. As a matter of fact, I don't think he has ever gone without tying his shoes since then:thumbsup:

septembergirl
06-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I will chime in again and say that if his feet get so uncomfortable that he needs to switch into another pair of shoes, it may already be too late. This "shoe switch" may not be enough to reduce the foot pain quickly enough to let him enjoy walking around these large parks. I think your concern is justified. If your son's feet hurt you suffer too as you probably spent good money to be able to watch your son enjoy this wonderful place.

I see foot pain from inappropriate shoes every day.

My concern exactly! The thing is that the kids will not know of our trip until right before we go and the shoe issue will need to be solved before then. What do you think of gel inserts? Are they helpful at all for absorbing shock/cushioning?

JPL
06-28-2007, 01:58 PM
The Gel inserts are also a personal preference thing I know a few people who swear by them. I went out and bought a pair to try and I hated them. They made my feet sweat more and I ended up with blisters.

Night Pirate
06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I personally love my hightops and during the winter I wear them everywhere and my feet never hurt. Just make sure they wear socks and everything should be all gravey!!!
:thumbsup::wave:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-28-2007, 10:45 PM
The Gel inserts are also a personal preference thing I know a few people who swear by them. I went out and bought a pair to try and I hated them. They made my feet sweat more and I ended up with blisters.
I tried and hated these, too!

My DH has worn Converse hightops for forty years, including while doing roofing work for twenty of them, and won't wear anything else. I tease him that he wears them as they go in and out of style. He doesn't care--he just personally likes them.He's done fine in them at Disney. Guess it depends on the person. Having some non-gel cushion insoles on hand might not be a bad backup plan, though, in case it doesn't work for your boys with all the extra walking they're not used to.:thumbsup: