PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #68

King Triton
06-25-2007, 10:13 AM
DIsney often makes cosmetic changes to the parks, especially for year-plus celebrations. Many times they work, sometimes they don't. Today I'm asking you to pick from three of the changes that have come under the most criticism. Remember, I'm not asking you to pick which you dislike the most, but the one you like (or hate the least).

Is it:
- Cinderella's Castle for the 25th birthday (Pink)
- Epcot's Spaceship:Earth Wand or
- Disney Studio's Sorcerer's Hat

Y100Q69 will be in Accommodations, probably on Tuesday.

The review of Questions 51-60 has been posted, and can be found here along with links to earlier reviews:
Review of Questions 51-60 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=108388)

Mickey91
06-25-2007, 10:17 AM
We weren't able to go when the castle was a cake. The pictures are okay but I think I would have been disappointed. I like the Sorcerer's hat but it covers up the beautiful Chinese Theater. So I went with the Wand at Epcot. I think it makes it look more Disney and festive!:mickey:

Mousefever
06-25-2007, 10:20 AM
I think the wand on Spaceship Earth has come under the most fire. I, myself, don't mind it, because it has been there every time I've been to DW as an adult.

I know that for DW purists, who have been to DW as many times before the wand went up as they have been since, it has been a source of consternation.

:dory:

avantgardeinker
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I really don't mind the wand so much. I wouldn't miss it if it weren't there, but I think it's the lesser of the 3 evils so to speak. I didn't see the castle in person when it was decorated for the 25th birthday, but I've seen pics and it was horrendous!! The Sorcerer's hat blocks the great view of Chinese Theatre when your entering MGM.

164 more days!!
:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
06-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I voted for the wand which is very cool!:mickey:I actually like the sorcerer's hat better, but it blocks the view of the chinese theatre. I could not vote for it because of that.

DawsonAR
06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm OK with the wand and the hat. I didn't like the "cake" at all.

brad192
06-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Had to go with the wand, as it's the lesser of 3 evils. I don't hate it, but I think it's inappropriate & uneeded.

As for the hat, I like it, but it should have been put at the park entrance, not in front of the theater.

The cake......well, I was there that year & when I looked down Main Street at that ugly, pink monstrosity I almost cried. What were they thinking???:mad:

scottgr
06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
I have to go with the Hat. MGM needed some type of ICON. Wish they had made into some sort of attraction. :mickey:

Tynkerbelle
06-25-2007, 11:17 AM
I voted for the Sorcerer's Hat at MGM - it's about time MGM had an icon....
Having said that, I don't mind the wand on SE - I got kind of used to seeing it (I can hardly remember what SE was like without it). I really liked it when they also had the 2000 on the for the millennium celebration (so much so that it was the model for my pumpkin that Halloween).
I think the Pepto pink castle cake was about the worst!

LandFan
06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
the wand I guess... The pink castle was an eyesore and the hat covers the chinese theatre (who thought that placement was appropriate anyway???).

Pocahontas
06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I actually really like the hat at MGM. I agree that it could have been placed in a better location, but it is still really fun.

indytraveler
06-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Wand is OK now, it's part of SE. The pink cake/castle thing was a disaster. The hat is just in the wrong place. Of course thats just my opinion.

NJGIRL
06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I was there in person and saw the pink castle. I thought it was aweful, but other than that I have liked the other changes.

BritCody
06-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I like the Sorcerer's Hat the most. MGM needed a symbolic place and now it has one

biodtl
06-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I have to go with the hat. I understand the location problem, but I like the looks of it best out of the three. The castle was - I hate to say ugly, but it just wasn't the castle - THE icon of WDW. And the wand - I have to admit, I didn't even notice it right away, and never thought about it until I started coming here and heard the criticism. So while I don't hate it, it didn't really have an impact on me.

darthmacho
06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
The cake castle not only looked repulsive in pictures, they were still putting it back the way it blonged in late April 1998, forcing me to see the castle for the first time with an unsightly crane next to it and an empty moat.

The wand, on the other hand, adds light and color to a rather drab (though visually interesting in its own way) Spaceship Earth. This got my vote.

The hat not only added a much needed identifiable icon to MGM, it actually looks pretty good. My only concern, that it disrupts the original Hollywood theme, is what kept me for voting for it over the wand.

dumbo ears
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
I vote forspaceship earth becuase i like it the most. I never saw the 25th anniversery castle and the sorceroers hat in just horrible

Figment78
06-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, obviously I'm not alone because at least 6 other people voted for it too -

I actually really enjoyed the birthday cake castle. I was there that year (as well as for the last "transformation" for happiest celebration) and although I wouldn't want it to be like that all the time, it was FUN! Just something different and whimsical and larger than life. It definitely helps us identify our vacation photos!

I don't mind the wand either. But the hat, I agree it is not bad, but I miss seeing the chinese theater. I also remember seeing it for the first time on our 2002 trip and thinking there was an attraction below and then being a bit disappointed that there really wasn't....

I like all the disney changes and celebrations. Keeps giving me excuses to tell DH we need to go back!

EvilQueen2006
06-25-2007, 01:16 PM
I really like the hat. I agree with the others that it is in the wrong place. I think it should be at the entrance to the park or at the entrance to Fantasmic. :smickey:

DizNee143
06-25-2007, 01:24 PM
the wand all the way!! i thought it was a very nice touch for 2000...and i still like the wand...:mickey:

Spaceship Tigger
06-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't have a problem with the hat, but it's placement is terrible. I like the wand, even though I had been to WDW more times before it was added than after (so far).

castlelady36
06-25-2007, 04:12 PM
big fan of the wand here too!!

LoriMistress
06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I went with the Epcot.

Crow
06-25-2007, 08:32 PM
the castle!:thedolls:
just cause i know it would probably b the least fav.
and i saw it being painted on 1 of my trips.

mainemajor
06-25-2007, 08:36 PM
I have to go with the Hat. MGM needed some type of ICON. Wish they had made into some sort of attraction. :mickey:

Or if they had placed it differently. I never saw the cake and am glad for that. As for the wand, EPCOT was designed to be a prototype for tommorrow and the wand does not fit with that idea.

snifflesmcg
06-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I only saw the pictures of the castle cake so my vote had to go between the hat or the wand. While I LOVE both...I went with the hat. It makes me think of the magic a wizard would have.

laward32
06-25-2007, 08:50 PM
I voted for the wand. It doesn't bother me like it bothers some people. I have to agree with most people about the hat. It's not the hat, it's the fact that they put it in front of the theater that is most people's problem with it. I have only seen pictures of the cake and I just don't think I would have liked it if I had seen it in person.:mickey:

johnO
06-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I think the wand takes away the least from it's respective park.

RAIDER
06-26-2007, 08:40 AM
i went for the pink castle only on the basis i thought it was a brilliant concept and a marvelous makeover on the castle :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
06-26-2007, 09:29 AM
The wand -- I really don't like it, but at least it isn't blocking the view or destroying wedding pics.

ktflisa
06-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I chose the castle for sentimental reasons! July 1997 was my first trip ever to WDW after many many trips to Disneyland. My boyfriend of 3 months took me, and he is now my husband! :blush:

dolphinmickey9170
06-26-2007, 10:29 AM
I love the wand!!

KAJUNKING
06-26-2007, 08:13 PM
im ok with the wand, i really dont like the hat mostly because it blocks the chinese theatre

January-2007
06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I voted for the wand on Epcot because my DH likes it. I saw them put it up, too, when it was originally "2000" so that's neat I guess. I can't stand the sorceror's hat.

SurferStitch
06-27-2007, 02:41 PM
I love the wand!! I would love to see it stay, but rumors are it will come down in the next 18 months or so. :( So, I voted for the wand.

Also love the hat, but not crazy about the location.

The pink castle was the first time DH ever went to WDW (our honeymoon), so while it holds a special place in our hearts, it definitely could have been much better.

2Epcot
06-27-2007, 06:33 PM
i went for the pink castle only on the basis i thought it was a brilliant concept and a marvelous makeover on the castle :mickey:

I agree. I was at the park when the castle had been transformed and I thought it was great. I also knew that it was only temporary, so it didn't bother me at all. Luckily I didn't visit during any of the pre or post transformation times. Both of the others, the wand and they hat, have become permanent eye sores.

mdearmas
08-03-2007, 04:19 PM
I guess of all of them I disliked the wand the least. It didn't really bother me. I do not like how the hat covers up the chinese theater but that's just a personal prefrence.
:goofy: