PDA

View Full Version : Horizons Open letter to Lassetter and Rasulo

Remzlightyear
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Dear Mr. Lassetter and Rasulo,
As a life-long Disney fan and year-round passport member for 15 straight years, I would love the fact if you championed and helped green-light a return of Horizons or a Horizons-like attraction to Epcot. To me, Horizons embodied what Epcot was supposed to be about. A few years back, when Horizons was sadly torn down, Intercot started a petition drive to keep it alive or bring it back. I love Mission Space, but I'll always love Horizons more. I think you'll find many people here to agree with me. You know, Wonders of Life is just sitting there. Thank you.
---Remy Zurbano---

Remzlightyear
06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Wonder if Rasulo and/or Lassetter check these boards out to see what the "Disney Street" have to say?

TuscanRaider
06-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Bring back Horizons!! I liked how you could choose the different endings. I wish they incorporated that into Mission: Space :( I like Mission:Space but it could be a lot better.

I think Horizons should make a comeback. :thumbsup:

Llamaface23
06-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm interested to know what this Horizons is that you speak of! I don't remember it. Can someone help me out and deplete my ignorance? :mickey:

ccp1
06-28-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm interested to know what this Horizons is that you speak of! I don't remember it. Can someone help me out and deplete my ignorance? :mickey:

Ooh, I suddenly feel old. :)

Horizons was arguably the most ambitious project at EPCOT, tying together many of the pavilions themes (land, sea, space, energy, technology) into a look at the future. One of my favorite pavilons, one of the things that made it unique was that the guest chose his own ending of the ride!

Horizons closed in 1999, and stood where M:S stands now.

Per TOS, I can't post the link, but there's a great 30-minute long ride-thru video on the web if you search "Horizons Epcot".

"If we can dream it, we can do it."

Tekneek
06-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Sadly, it seems that Epcot has "lost the plot." Future World, as it currently stands, seems to be suffering from two personalities. A portion that is still struggling to hold to the original idea, a portion that is simply striving to entertain with no education/learning to be done, and another that wants to be thrill rides.

The Epcot I visited in 1987 is gone. I understand updates would be necessary, but a complete change in philosophy is what we've got right now. The only thing preventing more changes and loss of more attractions is the cost and structural issues.

drosenbe
06-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I am so torn by topics like this. My wife and I went to Epcot its opening year and immediately loved it. And Horizons was a major piece of the Edutainment pie.

That being said, I couldn't help but notice how most people were "staying away in droves" as far as Epcot was concerned. Many people, Disney discovered, don't want to be educated on their vacation...they just want to have fun! I would love Epcot to continue to mix Discovery with Fun (take the Keys to the Kingdom tour),but they have to pay the bills. I don't really know why Horizons had to go, but the last couple of time we went on it, we just walked on...there was never a line, which is not a good thing for disney.

The main thing that I don't like about MS is that it has a low repeatability factor. It is exactly the same, with limited oportunities to see new parts of the ride each time you ride. With Horizons (and all of the old, detailed rides like HM and PotC) we always saw something that we hadn't seen before. Even the last time we rode, we realized a second floor in one of the scenes that we never noticed!

All that said, I would love to see another Horizons built.

lockedoutlogic
06-28-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm usually not a disney optimist.....but here goes....

EPCOT has been a huge priority for the WDW management for ten years......sadly, the late 70's/80's world that existed (which will continue to be looked upon more and more favorably as the world we live in goes into a scary new realm) is gone.....and EPCOT went from "cool" to a relic in about a 5 year timespan in the mid 90's.

So they decided to go thrill and throw test track and mission space out there.....a poor attempt at modernizing imagination!....and a long standing project to turn Spaceship Earth into a roller coaster...that was, fortunately, scrapped.

But if you look at it from a different perspective...there is a chance to turn EPCOT into both more of a excitement park, and return to some of it's educational routes.

Basically, I'm encouraged by the renovations to the Living Seas and the wise addition of the edu-tainment Soarin' to the Land.

And now they could add pavilions that have both the lower key educational attractions and the more technologically advanced thrills for all ages.

Look at what will be removed/ renovated:

Test Track will not last much longer...it has been a headache since day 1....and I have no doubt that it will be replaced (like rocket rods at DL)

Wonders of Life, while charming, was not a good pavilion and will probably be replaced by something....most likely a thrill type ride

Imagination! will most likely undergo a complete overhaul, The ride is definitely going to be redone...and Honey, I shrunk the Audience will most likely be changed in the not too distant future...it has outlived it's shelf life.

The Universe of Energy is also an area that could be a prime edu-tainment pavilion. Especially since the environmental health of our planet will become more and more of a topic of discussion (note to the nonbeliever: we're headed for trouble, it is very real, and it's not going to fix itself....scrap the H3 now)

So I'm pretty excited...not only at the possibilties for future world, but also maybe the long overdue addition of other areas to the showcase (world politics and relations is also going to become more and more of an important part of our lives)

I also like the new creative infusion of executives into the Walt Disney Company. Talk about long overdue....Eisner killed anyone with creative drive and replaced them with slick-talking neo-accountant types in expensive suits. Iger, wisely, has brought the more creative types to the forefront and left them alone.

Renovation of EPCOT, and hopefully needed expansions of AK and MGM, along with a new waterpark.....could make the next ten years as important to the longterm success of WDW as all the changes made in the Disney Decade

Horizon93
06-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Ah Horizons! I so miss it. If anyone here is not familiar with the classic attraction, check out our Horizons page (http://intercot.com/themeparks/epcot/futureworld/horizons/default.asp)

Remzlightyear
06-30-2007, 08:44 PM
:thumbsup:Thanks Horizons93. Can't let the memory of that ride fade away. It's gaining mystique and legendary proportions.

crazy4disneyworld
07-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Remzlightyear,
Wait for the SSE rehab to be done. It won't have a communications theme anymore, but it will be something similar to Horizons. I think it might center around how future technologies will affect the way we live in the future.

DisneyNut2005
07-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Remzlightyear,
Wait for the SSE rehab to be done. It won't have a communications theme anymore, but it will be something similar to Horizons. I think it might center around how future technologies will affect the way we live in the future.

Actually, the communications theme of SSE is not going away.

robyn221
07-01-2007, 06:07 PM
We visited WDW several times when I was a kid and Horizons was always one of my favorite attractions. Thanks to Remzlightyear for starting this thread. I would also love to see it come back!

Robyn:mickey:

Palmetto Mickey
07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
On another thread I posted that Horizons would be the one attraction I'd like to have at home. A modern version of the same premise would be exactly what Future World needs. Plus, that type of ride would really make Walt smile.

TheRustyScupper
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
1) I would like to see a Horizons-type ride, again.
2) But, alas, I think the "edu-tainment" age is over.
3) Disney seems to be more concerned with thrill rides.
4) I know they are trying to bring in a different type of guest.
5) It would be nice if they would consider these older rides.
6) Maybe I am just too old and to old fashioned.
7) Maybe there is just too much nostalgia . . . . .

WEDTOPIA
07-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Loved Horizons. It was the perfect mix of every theme that Future World incorporated. It also had a high re-ride factor. And it showcased what Disney does best - Audio-Animatronic technology submerged in an entertaining storyline.

Alas, the Disney folk decided that thrill rides were the future , so they abandoned the AA formula and Mission Space was the result. Thrill rides don't have to be funny or loaded with details to appeal to a mass audience. They just have to thrill.

Personally , I have no problem with any of the new Epcot attractions. They all have their places in the Disney universe. But , it bothers me to no end that they are no longer building the types of attractions that completely distanced them from every other theme park operator in existence. Meaning ,those with endless detail populated by charming AA's.

That being said , there is a gross misconception about the content and message of the newest Future World attractions. Most will say that Disney has dropped the educational aspect from their presentation. But ,that's simply not true. If you look at each attraction individually , you'll see that the learning factor is still incorporated.Oddly enough, every single one of the old closed attractions was presented in a humorous and fun way . Not in the supposedly dry , who wants to learn on vacation ? , approach , that some intimate that Future world was like -Journey into Imagination , Horizons , World of Motion , Kitchen Kabaret , Food Rocks ! , and most of Wonders of Life - none of them were boring. Actually , the stiffest and most " educational " attractions still remain - Spaceship Earth ( which I love dearly ,and of which they might loosen up a little with the re-hab ) Living With the Land , and Universe of Energy ( which , ironically , was livened up with the re-hab it received several years ago , very much in the vein of the oldies that closed ) The Living Seas was also revamped to meet that more jocular style of presentation. But , just because they amped up the thrills , that doesn't mean that they've thrown out the entire Epcot concept. There is something to be learned at every Future World stop.

:mickey:

Red Randal
07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Look at what will be removed/ renovated:

Test Track will not last much longer...it has been a headache since day 1....and I have no doubt that it will be replaced (like rocket rods at DL)

Wonders of Life, while charming, was not a good pavilion and will probably be replaced by something....most likely a thrill type ride

Imagination! will most likely undergo a complete overhaul, The ride is definitely going to be redone...and Honey, I shrunk the Audience will most likely be changed in the not too distant future...it has outlived it's shelf life.

The Universe of Energy is also an area that could be a prime edu-tainment pavilion. Especially since the environmental health of our planet will become more and more of a topic of discussion

I never really thought of it that way. The renovations to SSE and Living Seas are, really, the final stages in the Epcot renovations that began with Test Track and Innoventions over a decade ago. Now, it's time for changes again.

While Test Track has been a huge headache, it's still marketable and brings in crowds, so I think it's staying until more pressing concerns are dealt with.

The idea of Universe of Energy becoming more important as global climate change comes to the forefront of national attention is a good one. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I think Disney will keep away from his hot-button issue for a little while. Those who agree or disagree with global warming (and, please, let's not get into that discussion here) are so adamant in their stance that adding a spin, one way or the other, to the ride would be suicide from Disney's standpoint. Though, I'm shocked nobody has taken them to task for how dismissive they are towards it in the current ride.

Imagination, with a little more marketing, could stay a successful pavilion. I think you're right, though, when you say that HISTA needs to go. It's more than stayed its welcome.

That leaves the Wonders of Life. Considering it's already closed, WoL has to be the next revamp. I'm not sure what direction they will take it in. The health aspect is a good one. With obesity rates rising and other diseases affecting mankind, it's also a timely pavilion. Body Wars, however, was abysmal, so I don't know how they are going to turn the "health" theme into a thrill ride. Maybe they can swap and turn WoL into a more "global health" theme and then close Energy and give it a complete revamp into a human health theme.

Will the 2010's be as exciting as the 1990-2000's in Epcot? Quite possibly even moreso.

Jakk
07-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Actually, the communications theme of SSE is not going away.

Acutally it is, it'll me more like Horizons light. It'll focus on the past to the present to the futre and how innoventions set up for each generation. In the end it'll also be like Horizons where there is a touch screen and you can select the optinal endings and see yourself in the future. An it has been rumored that it might feature some music from Horizons! If you dont believe me here's the official press release:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (April 11, 2007) -- Inside the Epcot icon, remarkable changes will be taking place over the next several months. A re-imagined Spaceship Earth presented by Siemens will combine the magic of the iconic attraction's time-travel adventure into the past with a new finale which provides guests the opportunity to imagine their futures.

On a trip through time inside the Spaceship Earth attraction, guests discover how each generation of mankind has invented the future for the next generation, and how the spirit of innovation has moved people from the caves to the cosmos.

Enhancements to the time-travel attraction will encompass changes to each of the ride scenes. New show scenes will be added to the attraction's story along with new lighting effects, costumes, set decoration, narration and musical score.

This adventure through time leads ultimately to the very top of Spaceship Earth's geodesic dome, where guests arrive at the present. The time travel adventure will be enhanced through new, interactive touch screens installed aboard each "time machine" that will enable guests to create their own visions of the future and see themselves in that future.

As guests disembark the time travel experience, they are invited to visit "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow," where interactive exhibits bring to life the ideas and technologies Siemens is developing to help make the world a better place for the future.

The space is filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase innovative technologies. Here guests step into the world of tomorrow and glimpse the future of medicine, transportation and responsible energy management across the globe.

Imagination, with a little more marketing, could stay a successful pavilion. I think you're right, though, when you say that HISTA needs to go. It's more than stayed its welcome.

An thats why there refurbishing the JII ride again, and redoing the new HISTA 3D show. So like my signature says JII will be popular again....

Mr. Brass Bonanza
07-16-2007, 05:10 AM
The best thing Disney could do fpr Epcot's 25 anniversary is shut Future World down for however long it takes to bring it back to its roots. I admit I enjoy MISSION: Space and TestTrack, but I miss Horizons, World of Communication, and Wonders of LIfe as well. To me, those attractions are the core of what the park was built on the first place. Find a way to bring them back. Bring back EPCOT Center!

Jakk
07-16-2007, 03:19 PM
The best thing Disney could do for Epcot's 25 anniversary is shut Future World down for however long it takes to bring it back to its roots. I admit I enjoy MISSION: Space and TestTrack, but I miss Horizons, World of Communication, and Wonders of LIfe as well. To me, those attractions are the core of what the park was built on the first place. Find a way to bring them back. Bring back EPCOT Center!

First of all shut down Future world? Could you imagine the lines for Soarin!? No but seriously Imagineers never, ever repeat themseleves. But they do use ideas from past attarctions like how SSE will kinda be like Horizons. But really even when Horizons was open along with WOM there werent ever really long lines and Epcots attendance was sliding back then so they had to get more people in, and the only way to do that is bring thrill rides. The only thing that should happen on the 25th is the 2nd floor of the Imagination Pavillion opening, and a 5 year plan for WS, and JII Pavillion. So yeah seriously get over Horizons and WOM! There gone they wont ever come back. Epcot is always going to change proabley in the next 10 years Mission: Space, and Test Track wont even exsist. Stop losing sleep over two atractions there gone and nothing you can do about it......:thedolls:

Remzlightyear
07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Alas, Jakk, that is why my letter is open to Rasulo and Lassetter. So I can at least do something, anything, about it. Most people who rode Horizons remember how fantastic it was (along with that orange grove smell). It really was the epitome of Disney's statement, "If you can dream it, you can do it." So go ahead and rain on my parade, I'll go take shelter inside Horizons (while others wait outside Test Track waiting for it to re-open after the rain).:D

Jakk
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Alas, Jakk, that is why my letter is open to Rasulo and Lassetter. So I can at least do something, anything, about it. Most people who rode Horizons remember how fantastic it was (along with that orange grove smell). It really was the epitome of Disney's statement, "If you can dream it, you can do it." So go ahead and rain on my parade, I'll go take shelter inside Horizons (while others wait outside Test Track waiting for it to re-open after the rain).:D

I agee the ride was fantastic and I loved Horizons as much as the next guy but it wont ever come back. Your just waisting your time. It's like asking a dead person to come alive it wont ever happen....

skylardad
07-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Okay, it's been several months since I last posted anything on any Disney board, but my all-time favorite WDW attraction needs a little support here.

I must first state that it was very refreshing to see another Horizons fan post this open letter. While I agree that it is unlikely going to cause the return of my favorite attraction, topics and posts like this one regarding Horizons seem to be getting someone's attention at WDW.

While Horizons will likely never come back in its original form, it has been inspiring other WDW attractions - which is why devoted fans to Horizons get so frustrated that we can't have it back. It's tough to see (and hear) its inspiration sprinkled around EPCOT but not return as a whole.

For example, Soarin' is very much a tribute to Horizons' Omnimax film loop combine with the orange smell. Horizons was the first venue to commercially use the IMAX style format. During your travels on Horizons you were suspended in front of an IMAX-size screen to give you that larger-than-life feeling of being in the ocean, a Space Shuttle launch, flying (or Soarin') over the city scape, and spinning within the DNA chain. The only mechanical differences on Soarin' are you are suspended at a higher position and your ride vehicle gently pitches to enhance the flying feeling.

As many may know, the Horizons logo is in Mission: Space on the gravity wheel in the queue line.

A small musical reference of the Horizons theme song can be heard in the Futureworld loop heard once you walk beyond Spaceship Earth and through the walkways to FW East and West (and in the Electric Umbrella).

And we will soon see one of Horizons' favorite features being worked-in to Spaceship Earth. The "choose your own ending" from Horizons aparently has inspired the creative team working on SE to give riders the opportunity to select what they would like to see in their future. (Please note: this is an interpretation of the vague details outlined in the official WDW press release, but there is definitely going to be some interactive feature on the new version of SE just as Horizons was interactive).

I had to move from the Orlando area to Georgia before the first wave of "Project Tomorrow" opened in the SE post-show but from what I have seen online, it appears the folks at Siemens and WDI are masterfully mixing the original "spirit" of Epcot with the technology required to bring a park of the 80s into the future. So far Siemens has been true to their word from when they first announced their sponsorship of SE and Illuminations. While they were planning on making some changes, they promised they would do so with the original spirit of the attraction in mind. That new post-show is VERY in-touch with the original spirit of EPCOT.

I also feel that posts like this all over the internet have inspiried the new regime at The Walt Disney Company and the new EPCOT VP to take a look at the park and challenge themselves to re-imagine EPCOT so that it can successfully appeal to the fans of the 80s-early 90s EPCOT and the next generation of fans who have come to know it in its current state.

I agree that EPCOT has had to evolve to bring in new audiences (thrill seekers included) but the classic Disney attractions like World of Motion and Horizons also have their place. Afterall, it was these epic style attractions that made WDW a unique experience - no oter theme park ANYWHERE could offer attractions like these (and still don't). No other theme park company has ever created (or bothered to immerse themselves in storytelling) attrations that were rich in story, music, art direction, and detail. That is why Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, and the memories of Horizons, World of Motion, and (the original) Journey Into Imagination have become the timeless classics that they are.

Well, there it is. I hope those responsible for EPCOT's future will never forget that "If you can dream it, you can do it".

:mickey:

Horizon93
07-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Well spoken Skylarded! Horizons was the best and will live on forever in our memories, the smell of oranges, the great song, and in the future of Epcot!

ronandjulie
07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
While WDW is Paradise to all of you, as well as myself, it is still a business. The Epcot of old didn't generate the revenue. I know it's hard to do, but let the past go. It can't and won't ever come back. It saddens me, too! I am just going to embrace the present and long for the future. I truly believe they will do the right thing, even if it isn't exactly what I want.