PDA

View Full Version : Playground in the Parks?

Mickey91
06-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Okay, for my 600th post, I decided to find out how you all feel about the playgrounds inside the parks.

I personally feel like they could use this space for a more family oriented attraction. I guess I can't see paying to be in a theme park to let my kids play on a slide, etc. when I can do that at home.

What do you guys think?

Catwillow
06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Not having any little children anymore I thought this would be a tougher one to answer but when I thought about it ... I was pretty quick in the answering.

I think the playgrounds are a great spot for the kids to well....be kids. You know, run --jump--climb on things--interact with other kids. It's got to be hard having to stand in line for this and that ALL day, keep up with mom, dad, grandparents, etc and "behave". It's also a great way for mom, dad or whomever to sit and take a usually much needed break.

snifflesmcg
06-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Playgrounds are great........for the resort. Keep them out of the parks please.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I think they are a great idea. :thumbsup:

I would not want my kids to stay on a playground for longer then 20 minutes or so but, they are a great way for the kids to run around and not have to worry about people, strollers, etc. Like Catwillow said, a spot to let them just be kids.

My children love the Honey I Shrunk The Kids one at MGM. They would stay at that one for hours if I let them.b;) The small one at Splash is great too. Great thinking for the kids that are not tall enough to ride. Much better then just sitting on a bench.

I am all for new attractions, I just think the playgrounds are a great idea.

Lizzie
06-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I think its a great thing. As a parent its a great place for kids to play freely for a while. A chance to run and climb things and not worry about lines. Especially for the kids 8 and under.

bcornette
06-24-2007, 08:49 PM
The Honey I shrunk the kids playground is my son's third favorite attraction in all of WDW. It is behind PoTC and Buzz Lightyear.
We spend over 30 minutes in the playground every time we are at MGM.

SBETigg
06-24-2007, 08:56 PM
We haven't been to WDW when my kids were young enough to enjoy them, but I still love them and voted in favor. It gives families with little ones a place to go to let the kids move around and blow off some steam, which builds up with all that waiting in lines in strollers. I think it keeps everyone happier in the end.

Jared
06-24-2007, 09:00 PM
My family does not utilize the playgrounds anymore, but they are definitely a worthwhile part of any theme park.

When the older kids rode Dinosaur, my sister would run around The Boneyard. Nobody should make the playgrounds a major part of an itinerary, but I have no problem with their existence.

Dizneyfan
06-24-2007, 09:12 PM
I think the playgrounds are a great idea. I feel that each park should have only one fairly large playground for the kiddies to plan on. They are a nice way for parents and children to relax after waiting in line all day. :thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
06-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Yes to playgrounds! Kids need to run (especially little boys) and that is their only opportunity to do so in the parks --

One question though, how come the playground positive comments are 8 to 2 and the vote is 6 to 5????

Eric87
06-24-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't have any kids yet, but I believe playgrounds will help break some of the monotony of waiting in lines. I remember all the great times I had as a kid at the parks, but the next thing that sticks out in my mind are the lines. During peak hours, taking kids to a playground where they can just run around and explore is a great idea. Tom Sawyers Island is a good example of this. Also, I recently visited Epcot and Peter Pan and Wendy were playing with the younger children on a Disnified play-set in Futerworld East.

Rica
06-24-2007, 10:59 PM
I really just prefer the playgrounds at the hotels too. As far as the parks go, its all about the attractions for me. Plus, my kids don't want to leave the playground once I let them go, and that's not what we came to do. We came to ride. :D

tarjaybuff
06-24-2007, 11:04 PM
First off I have no kids; I am just a kid at heart. I think that HISTK play area at MGM is just great. However, I am a huge fan of Winnie The Pooh, but don't get the palyground at MK. They either need to do more with it or put in a ride/attraction.

Spaceship Tigger
06-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Having a toddler or youg child makes you realize how important the playgrounds are in the parks. They can't do a lot of things and end up sitting in their strollers much of the trip. Even in rides that they can go on they end up sitting. The playgrounds are great to burn off energy and to have something for them to do while other family members may ride another ride.

There's been a lot of hostility towards the Pooh Playground, yet the thing takes up very little space and can easily be removed if they finally decide to do something else with the area.

RAIDER
06-25-2007, 08:03 AM
No
i would rather have that space for an attraction that all would use ... As basically WDW is a playground anyway :blush::thumbsup:

BritCody
06-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I'd rather not see them in the theme parks. I'd rather see attractions for the whole family

January-2007
06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I like them. When I was a kid we played in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground in MGM and let me just say, that was about the coolest thing ever! I think it's good to have a place for kids to burn the energy they have after having to stand still and wait in line and behave in restaurants. Just let loose!

DawsonAR
06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
We love to go to the playground to take a break. The kids can keep going while DH and I take a rest. :thumbsup:

cvzdesign
06-25-2007, 09:59 AM
They need to have a small playground near all attractions that have a height requirement.

The one under the train at Splash is a perfect example.
While waiting to do the child swap, it was the perfect out of sun place for my 3 year old to play and not just be bored.
We never saw the Pooh one because we didn't go that direction, but it seems like the wrong place to put that - in an area where every ride is suitable for all ages...
Put one over near Space Mountain instead.

BashfulMom
06-25-2007, 10:58 AM
I can see where the playgrounds would be a nice distraction for families with children that are to little to ride some of the attractions.

GrmGrninGost
06-25-2007, 11:00 AM
We have been bringing our children to WDW for 12 years now. In my opinion the playgrounds should be at the resorts. It seems for some reason most people feel a need to take their DKs back to the resort during the day for a nap/swim anyway. Leave the prime park real estate for the majority of people to enjoy. A nice family ride would suit more people than a playground.

TiggerRPh
06-25-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't go to WDW for my kids to play on a playground...a themed one...but still a play ground.

Personally, I think that they are a waste of time and space.

A Foolish Mortal
06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
It depends. I think if they are going to put a playground in the parks, they need it to be a full scale attraction, like HISTK and Tom Sawyer island. I do however hate the fact that in the MK they filled in the lagoon to put a little playground in there. They could've used that space for anything and they put a playground in it. I just think if they are going to put a playground in, they need to go all the way with it.

Pocahontas
06-25-2007, 11:16 AM
When my DD was small enough to use the playgrounds, it was one of her favorite things to do. I agree with others who have said that it is a great way to burn off energy after waiting in lines, sitting on rides, standing/sitting watching parades.

In response to those who think they would rather use the space for more family friendly rides... Not everyone enjoys the same type of rides. Some people like thrill rides, some like rides where they get wet, some like the action shows, some like the singing/dancing shows, ect. The point is, there should be something for everyone and the playgrounds are for the little ones.

TinkInTraining
06-25-2007, 11:31 AM
While I have to agree that the ample space from 20k shouldn't have been used for the Pooh play ground, I do however agree with having the play grounds in the parks.

I believe there should be at least one in every park.

From someone who didn't have the luxury of staying on property the first time I took my 3 girls down there, the play grounds were our break in the middle of the day. We couldn't go back to where we were staying for a mid-day break and to be honest I'd venture to say that it's not the majority of people in the parks that stay at the on site properties...I think they're pretty close to 50/50.

I thought the play grounds were a blessing when my kids were young enough to use them. Not only that but I have some of the greatest pictures of them jumping on the frogs and playing around. Disney after all is a family destination, for the whole family.

There are a lot of things little children (or to be honest just smaller older children) can't do and waiting in line is not the greatest fun for kids. People all to often complain about "rude" children, etc. If people slowed down more and enjoyed things like these playgrounds and water areas within the parks the kids wouldn't mind waiting in line so much!

Even though my girls are much too big to use them now we still stop at them. My 13 year old LOVES Pooh and always has to stop at her thinking spot...need to sit on a honey pot. She loves it. They'd still hang out there for 20 minutes if I'd let them!

Keep 'em for the next bunch of little kids...they're great! :thumbsup:

indytraveler
06-25-2007, 11:35 AM
We never spent time in playground area with our kids. They wanted to ride rides.

jedi jen
06-25-2007, 07:13 PM
I voted for the playgrounds. I might have voted differently before I took my kids to WDW. They love the rides, but they sure love the playgrounds too. It is an opportunity for them to move around a bit, in contrast to standing in line or sitting on a ride. I think it helps all of our peace for them to have a little bit of time to get their wiggles out. :joy: They are looking forward to the rides and the playground when we go back in July. (I can't wait to be back.)

Suz36
06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
We love the playgrounds! It's so important for the kids to be able to run and blow off steam after so much waiting. Yes, we do usually have to drag them out of the playground with a tantrum or two, but it's worth it for them to let out a bit of pent up energy.

emmingo
06-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm surprised at the comments that the playgrounds aren't for everyone. Maybe this only applies to the highly-themed playgrounds, but every time we've gone (despite having no kids!) we always hang around HISTK and Tom Sawyer Island. They're great places to take a break and get funny pictures. :D

I do agree that the random ones should be more completely thought out; the teeny ones at MK are a little...odd...considering the high level of "show" that is normally present there.

tyandskyesmom
06-26-2007, 01:33 PM
I can't see paying to be in a theme park to let my kids play on a slide, etc. when I can do that at home.

Exactly what I think!

Ian
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Playgrounds are great........for the resort. Keep them out of the parks please.Exactly how I feel.

Come on ... let's face it ... putting playgrounds in the parks is nothing more than a really cheap way to take up some space, boost the list of "attractions", and save a few bucks. Playgrounds don't belong in Disney theme parks.

The resorts? Sure ... no problem ... but not somewhere where I'm paying $75 a day to get in. I want something more.

pshokie
06-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow, I actually disagree with Ian....My world is crushed..... :sad:

Having a toddler or youg child makes you realize how important the playgrounds are in the parks. They can't do a lot of things and end up sitting in their strollers much of the trip. Even in rides that they can go on they end up sitting. The playgrounds are great to burn off energy and to have something for them to do while other family members may ride another ride.

I can see where the playgrounds would be a nice distraction for families with children that are to little to ride some of the attractions.

I think these two posts say it all. Children under 2 are probably in a stroller or being held from the moment they leave the resort until they return to the resort. If you assum people with young kids are taking the mid-day-nap-rule, that could mean 4 to 6 hours of "confinement" for the kids. I know I would not like to be confined that long. I hate driving for longer than 2 hours with out a break or leg stretch.

Also, think about his for a moment, it may sound crazy :crazy:.....
If we are to get rid of the playgounds because they are not "whole family friendly" (in other words those over 5 cannot use them), then what about those "big rides" that exist that are not "whole family friendly", like Space Mountain. Children under a sprecific cannot ride. Should we get rid of those? Heck no, that would be crazy.

Just because I do not use something does not mean it should be removed. The question should be, do people use them? The answer is most definitely yes, all you have to do is look.

KAJUNKING
06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
No
i would rather have that space for an attraction that all would use ... As basically WDW is a playground anyway :blush::thumbsup:

i agree, its a waste of space, and i have 2 young children and i dont spend thousands of dollars so my kids can play on a 6 foot slide

tink'72
06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
My last visit was this past April during the Epcot Flower and Garden Fesitval which was beautiful. Epoct had mini playgrounds set up throughout the park and I think it was great! Disney did a fantastic job with the parks and the kids had a great time. My son is 4 and my daughter is 10 , and even she enjoyed some of the parks.

I think they should have more of them for the little ones!

BrandyC1974
06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
I think the playground are good. I like them because when the kids have energy to burn, and the adults need to sit for a few minutes, they are a good play to go.

:mickey:

StillSimbaGirl
06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I voted for the playgrounds. My DD - now 8 - loves the playgrounds - especially Honey I Shrunk the Kids and the Boneyard.

I go to Disney primarily FOR my daughter - not for myself (okay, some of those lovely dinners in Epcot are for me).

Given what Disney charges to get in, a lot of people get sucked into the notion of "getting their money's worth" means riding all the rides etc. It's my opinion that at Disney, the house ALWAYS wins and the way I get my money's worth is to enjoy myself or better yet, for my daughter to enjoy herself.

And that means, mom isn't dragging her through the park like we are on a mission to get to the next thing. When all is said and done, DD8 would rather play at the Boneyard for an hour than just about anything else. Why rush her enjoyment because I find more "monetary value" in a ride or attraction.

DD8 Loves the play grounds and that's a big part of the day.

Minnie97
03-22-2015, 04:40 PM
I think they are ridiculous
It's nice to have them at the resorts but to take out the family activities is irritating
I was not very old when Ariels Grotto was removed for the Winnie the Pooh Playground and I still get annoyed thinking about it....

VWL Mom
03-22-2015, 05:23 PM
DS1 was tall enough to do most of the rides by the time he was 4, never set foot in a play area only wanted to do the rides.

DS2 was my special needs kid, never went on a ride until he was 10, spent massive amounts of time in the playgrounds. We never forced the issue with him.

Now they're 20 and 23 and still love trips to Disney, we only spend a few hours a day in the parks and the rest of the time they use the gyms and usually some type of water sport.

Point is I don't think any 2 families travel the same way but I would not begrudge another person the chance to do what they like just because I didn't.

Pally
03-22-2015, 05:32 PM
.....I think the playgrounds are a great spot for the kids to well....be kids. You know, run --jump--climb on things--interact with other kids. It's got to be hard having to stand in line for this and that ALL day, keep up with mom, dad,....
:thumbsup:

I think they are a great idea. :thumbsup:

My children love the Honey I Shrunk The Kids one at MGM. They would stay at that one for hours if I let them.b;) The small one at Splash is great too. Great thinking for the kids that are not tall enough to ride. Much better then just sitting on a bench.

I am all for new attractions, I just think the playgrounds are a great idea.:thumbsup:

....I still love them and voted in favor. It gives families with little ones a place to go to let the kids move around and blow off some steam, which builds up with all that waiting in lines in strollers. I think it keeps everyone happier in the end.:thumbsup:

My family does not utilize the playgrounds anymore, but they are definitely a worthwhile part of any theme park.

When the older kids rode Dinosaur, my sister would run around The Boneyard. Nobody should make the playgrounds a major part of an itinerary, but I have no problem with their existence.:thumbsup:

I voted for the playgrounds. My DD - now 8 - loves the playgrounds - especially Honey I Shrunk the Kids and the Boneyard.

I go to Disney primarily FOR my daughter - not for myself (okay, some of those lovely dinners in Epcot are for me).

Given what Disney charges to get in, a lot of people get sucked into the notion of "getting their money's worth" means riding all the rides etc. It's my opinion that at Disney, the house ALWAYS wins and the way I get my money's worth is to enjoy myself or better yet, for my daughter to enjoy herself.

And that means, mom isn't dragging her through the park like we are on a mission to get to the next thing. When all is said and done, DD8 would rather play at the Boneyard for an hour than just about anything else. Why rush her enjoyment because I find more "monetary value" in a ride or attraction.

DD8 Loves the play grounds and that's a big part of the day.:thumbsup:wholeheartedly agree with this comment.

We get so much enjoyment out of seeing our kids be happy with happy noises. It is just joy even if it is on a playground at Disney. Miss the one they had in Norway with the Viking Ship. Our boys loved this place along with HISTK.:mickey: