PDA

View Full Version : AKL Construction

gdb1962
06-24-2007, 12:50 PM
HELP !!! I'm heading to AKL in two weeks and I'm in a panic about the construction taking place for the new AKL Vacation Club. I originally thought the construction was limited to the new building adjacent to the existing lodge, but have now come to realize that most (if not all) of the existing 5th and 6th floors of the AKL are in various stages of remodeling to become the first phase of the AKL Vacation Club. If anyone has been to AKL very recently and can shed some light on how disruptive the remodeling at the AKL is, I'd be greatly appreciative. This was supposed to be our dream vacation.....and I'm hoping it still will. Thanks in advance for your comments.

mprewitt
06-24-2007, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't panic. Disney is contacting those guests that are likely to be impacted by the construction noise, and is moving them to other resorts. Chances are, if they haven't contacted you, you will be minimally impacted -- if at all.

RockChalkKimball
06-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Everytime we have been to WDW, something has been under construction. They are very good about keeping things clean and quiet so that you never even notice. I wouldn't worry much about it, but if you are concerned, I would call AKL directly and ask. I am sure if you are unsure, they will move you. No matter what, it will be your dream trip and they will do whatever they can to make it that way.

mickey&missy
06-24-2007, 04:11 PM
I doubt that the contstruction will impact your vacation at all. But, like another poster said, if your concerned call.

We stayed at WL this past fall and it was under construction at the time. It had no impact on us whatsoever.

Good luck and have a great vacation!!

TammiMcMan
06-24-2007, 04:26 PM
It's my understanding that they've had to move people due to the 4th floor being closed as well. I don't think this was an expected shut down at this time, but something that was necessary to reach the plumbing on the 4th floor.

You may want to call someone in guest services to try and get any questions you might have answered. I know that some guests have been called and offered other resort choices and some may be impacted upon check-in. Construction on one side of the resort is pretty significant at the moment, however if you're on the other side and spend days at the parks, you may bother you at all. It's an expensive vacation though and you may want to check out other options before they're all booked.

Disney Maniac
06-24-2007, 06:12 PM
We had a Savanah room( magical upgrade!!) in the Zebra Trail May 28th to June 2nd and construction didn't bother us. You could see the construction equipment outside in some areas of the resort. But otherwise it didn't bother us. You don't hear, see, or smell any construction work. You just hear, smell, and see a beautiful African Lodge. Good Luck on your trip!!!

TammiMcMan
06-24-2007, 06:37 PM
We had a Savanah room( magical upgrade!!) in the Zebra Trail May 28th to June 2nd and construction didn't bother us. You could see the construction equipment outside in some areas of the resort. But otherwise it didn't bother us. You don't hear, see, or smell any construction work. You just hear, smell, and see a beautiful African Lodge. Good Luck on your trip!!!I've heard from people just back that the noise hasn't been too bad. Just an update though, the Zebra Trail is currently closed off due to construction all around that area.

Spaceship Tigger
06-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Our original reservation in September was for the AKL but we changed resorts after finding out about the construction. There's too much money being paid to want to see any sort of construction equipment or noises anywhere. Heck, we were a little bothered in 2005 when they were running power saws over by Boma during the day and had the outside stream by the pool drained. We figured that if those things bothered us then we had better move this time.

tyandskyesmom
06-25-2007, 01:02 PM
You guys have me worried! We arrive at AKL in 6 days for a 3 night/4 day hotel trip...no parks...we intend to be spending most of our time at the hotel swimming and watching animals and doing whatever there is being offered. I initially thought this cinstruction would not be a big deal but now I am starting to wonder. I decided against CR back in Nov-Dec 2006 because of the pending lobby work and now this...should I be contacting Wendy to see if there is anything else available still????

I'm getting worried!

TammiMcMan
06-25-2007, 04:58 PM
...should I be contacting Wendy to see if there is anything else available still????It really depends. I know a number of guests have been contacted in regards to moving from the AKL to another resort. If you stay, you could have the place almost all to yourselves. It's hard to give advice, as some people would find it a very minor inconvenience and others could look at it as a major nuisance. If you think you may be bothered by the construction going on there, it's probably best to try and move now.

Disney Maniac
06-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I've heard from people just back that the noise hasn't been too bad. Just an update though, the Zebra Trail is currently closed off due to construction all around that area.

TammiMcMan I just wanted to tell you that maybe they closed the Zebra Trail off after I left. Because I checked the map the gave us at check in and I stayed in room 2571 in the Zebra Trail.

TammiMcMan
06-26-2007, 05:11 PM
TammiMcMan I just wanted to tell you that maybe they closed the Zebra Trail off after I left. Yes, it's very recent, that's why I put in the update.

gdb1962
06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies. At this time we'll cross our fingers and hope for the best. We chose the AKL for the atmosphere and scenery, so we'll stick to our choice and just enjoy ourselves. Thanks again.....

ScottyP
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Okay, now I am really concerned. We will be there in August with a one year old and two other young children. Afternoon naps are a must, as is a zero entry pool. Does anyone know where they are moving guests to? I am concerned if we are moved there will not be a zero entry pool which is one of the many reasons we choose AKL. Also, I am concerned the construction will be disruptive to us as we have planned on spending afternoons at the resort.
Can anyone provide some insight for me to put me at ease?

TammiMcMan
06-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know where they are moving guests to? Can anyone provide some insight for me to put me at ease?From what I have heard, the first offer is a move to SSR. If that's not acceptable, I've also heard of guests being given the option of the BC, BWI and the Poly. Of those, both the BC and Poly have a zero entry pool and their proximity to the parks is a great convenience. The people that I've spoken with have trips planned through the first week in August. They do have rooms open, so I'm sure that not everyone will get a call about moving. If you're concerned, you may want to check online for availability at these other resorts and be proactive about calling Disney.