PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid puppies?

Jen C.
06-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know anything about all of these new varieties of hybrid designer puppies? Is this a safe thing? I know that typically mixed breed dogs have better temperment than purebreds, but this seems a little crazy. Cav-a-chons, buggles, and my favorite~ mini-walrus'!!( a mix of basset hound and Shar-pei~they are ADORABLE)!!...YIKES! We are considering this, but have very little knowledge of hybrids. Of course the breeders are nothing but complementary;).

Just curious if anyone has any experience with these types of dogs who can offer some insight.
Thanks!!:thumbsup:

MMouse6937
06-23-2007, 10:08 PM
I am so against people breeding any type of dog in a country where we are euthanizing animals at an alarming rate. Most purebreds that I have experienced have more behavior and health problems. I would recommend that you go to your local shelter and find a wonderful mutt to add to your family. If you must use a breeder, really do your homework. So many of them are puppy mills and treat their animals horribly. You should be able to meet mom and dad on site and there should be reasonable accomodations for all the animals on the property. Good luck in your search. We have three wonderful mutts and I can't imagine life without them!! :dog:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Can I say that I have a "Puggle" without getting lectured?? :scared::bolt: I know there are a lot of feelings about this topic but, please keep in mind that Jack is already a member of our family. :)

We got him in April from a breeder. One that we are extremely famiIlar with. Puppies and parents very well cared for, nice and clean conditions, both puppies and parents treated like members of the family.

We had a beagle years ago and loved the way Puggles look.

He is only 6 months old and is a wonderful addition to our family. The kids adore him, so does his "big brother", our Golden Retreiver Colby. He has a great personality and is a real sweetheart. Training has gone well, almost completely there with housebreaking. The Vet was very pleased with his health and demeanor. He has not had one health concern and was current on all of his shots when we got him. (We did not pay a ridiculous amount of money for him either, that just makes me crazy). You can really tell how much affection he received from the breeder and her family. He was also very much adjusted to being around other animals. He has no adjustment at all to our dog, cat or Taylor's rabbit.

I can't tell you what is right for you and your family. I just wanted to let you know that there are people that have had good experiences with these guys. ;)

Here is a pic of Jack from when we first got him...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/seanrileytaylor/006.jpg

Another...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/seanrileytaylor/009.jpg

Tinkerfreak
06-24-2007, 08:09 AM
I have mixed feelings about this because I just can't see paying high prices for a dog that is a mutt. I love all dogs no matter what their breed is. I have had purebred dogs and mutts and I loved them all equally. I don't agree that pure bred dogs have more health issues. I think alot of it depends on what you feed them. I have never fed any of my dogs people food and they were all healthy, with or without AKC papers. My biggest issue with the designer dogs is not with the dogs but with the people buying them to look like Paris Hilton and who get them as a fashion statement instead of to love and care for. Please don't think I am implying that anyone who gets a designer dog is doing it to follow a fad because I'm not. I'm sure there are many people out there who are true Puggle lovers, myself included, they are just so darned cute. I hate to see any dog in a pet shop caged in stepping in their own poo. I agree you should always meet the parents of the dog and see it's living conditions. Anything that happens to a dog in it's first few months of life will effect it for life.

crazypoohbear
06-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Let me start off by saying I don't have a dog, I'm allergic. We had a dog growing up. He was a mixed breed.A shepard, golden retriever, I think, maybe some collie because his hair was long and silky. BUT, Sam was "just a dog" Did this type of breeding make Sam a "Laperd"???, :blush:
not to be confused with a leopard:)

I have to say that I find it odd that we had a "MUTT" because he wasn't "Purebred"
Now all these mixed breed dogs are getting "cutesy" names and people are charging a bundle for these dogs.!!????

Thirty years ago all these dogs would have been Mutts, handed out for free in front of a store, or given away on a farm in the country.
What gives????:confused:

kakn7294
06-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Tinkerfreak hit the nail on the head: it's not a problem with the dogs, it's a problem with the people who irresponsibly breed them and the people who purchase them to be "in style". Even mutts and pound puppies can end up being an irresponsible owner's designer pet. Sean Riley Taylor's Mom purchased her dog because they wanted him as a family member, not a designer dog. He's very cute BTW! My dog is a purebred who was on her way to the pound when we took her in and many other people would have had her euthanized by now due to her "issues" - we'll leave it at that. Designer mixed breed dogs are still going to have health issues and behavior problems depending on their genetics and how they were raised.

Jen, if you want a mixed breed dog be sure to do your homework on the individual breeds that make up your puppy so you will know what you might expect from your new friend as far as personality and health issues. If you use a breeder, be sure to check out the parents as well as the facilities where the dogs are kept. Play with the puppies and check out their personality traits - they tend to remain similar as they grow up. A sweet, loving pup tends to be a quieter dog and a more rambunctious pup tends to be more active but much of a dog's personality will have a lot to do with how you raise him. As long as you are going to love him (or her) and treat your new baby as a family member, it doesn't matter what kind of dog he is or isn't!

MsMin
06-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Let me start off by saying I don't have a dog, I'm allergic. We had a dog growing up. He was a mixed breed.A shepard, golden retriever, I think, maybe some collie because his hair was long and silky. BUT, Sam was "just a dog" Did this type of breeding make Sam a "Laperd"???,
not to be confused with a leopard:)
I have to say that I find it odd that we had a "MUTT" because he wasn't "Purebred"
Now all these mixed breed dogs are getting "cutesy" names and people are charging a bundle for these dogs.!!????
Thirty years ago all these dogs would have been Mutts, handed out for free in front of a store, or given away on a farm in the country.
What gives????:confused:
I agree with what you are saying and there is a big difference btwn a Mutt and a Hybrid. Someone buying a hybrid should know the difference too. A mutt is a mixed dog and a hybrid is a dog that has been created from two breeds and bred for a long time to where they are standardized meaning you can expect to see the consistent traits and not the random traits you can get from mixing two dogs. If you buy a "hybrid" or designer they should be bred from parents that are hybrids and not just someone mixing two breeds that is not a hybrid, that's still a mutt. Be careful.
Yes, it is true that the hybrids can be healthier b/c there is a more recent mix of genes helping the breeders to "weed out" the bad genes and due to the mix have a stronger gene pool to work with. THis is another reason to make sure the breeders are using authentic hybrids and not just mixing two dogs. If they parents are not puggles or the breed of your choosing then it's not a true hybrid- just a mix.
I breed my dog for the love of the breed and I enjoy doing it. I do believe that knowledgeable and responsible ppl are needed to breed dogs. I don't do it for profit just for the love of the breed and b/c I know that my pair is healthier than many area dogs that are being over bred.
I don't believe in buying any dog from a "chain" pet store. This is where the "puppy mill" mentality comes to play and is supported. I've seen "designer" dogs at our local store for $1200 or more. I think it's outrageous.
We can't wipe out child abuse and we aren't going to wipe out animal abuse in our near future either. I think I can fight that by interviewing potential owners and selecting ppl that are willing to make a commitment to the pup. Again, the puppy mills are not going to stop if no one is breeding then we are supporting the puppy mills.
I have yorkies and they are basically indoor dogs who need lots of love and attention and give a lot of love in return. I hope to lead by example and education and not by destructive and uninformed criticism but I'm getting a little off topic..
Jen C. just do your homework. Learn about the different temperaments of the original breeds and ask questions about the new breed and what you can expect. Most families give up a dog b/c they really were not prepared for what to expect. Again make sure it's not a mix but a true hybrid. Best of luck w/ your new adventure and :pixie: for many puppy kisses coming your way in the near future! :paw:

TiggerRPh
06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't think that these "hybrids" have been around that long...especially the ones the poster is asking about...and I'd be very wary of those breeds until there was some history with them.

As for breeders...yes may mutt breeders are puppy mills, but not all and for the most part (95%) purebread breeders are responsible.

Mickey'sGirl
06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Research. If you are buying a pure-bred dog, a hybrid dog or adopting a dog from a shelter or rescue program. Every living thing comes with his/her own personality and behaviours and you need to make sure that your new friend will blend with you and your lifestyle. We have had dogs from breeders, rescues, shelters and puppies from friends...and they have all been wonderful members of our family. The only thing I would STRONGLY recommend is to avoid purchasing an animal from a pet store...the haven for puppy mills of all kinds.

Know what you want and then find out the best way to find one.

Clotho
06-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I have had purebred dogs and mutts and I loved them all equally. I don't agree that pure bred dogs have more health issues. I think alot of it depends on what you feed them.

The health issues have nothing to do with what you feed them. It is actually the result of years of inbreeding (mating within the same genetic pool) degrading the genetic material in the animals. Same thing happens to humans, which is why you will have genetic defects if you have two humans mate from within the same genetic pool. So this is a proven scientific fact, and not opinion.

Some breeds have more issues, and they vary in severity. As I understand it, part of the reason these new "boutique breed" pets were created as a result of trying to clean up the gene pools a little bit by crossbreeding. And while they are combining breeds with the intent of bringing out specific breed traits, it is also a money-making venture--keep your "product" viable, healthy, and desirable. The new "packaging" of mixed breeds is smart business for breeders who simply cannot continue the old business model into the future and expect their "product" to be healthy and marketable. Voila. New mixed breeds.

I am not a fan of this new trend. Sorry, I have to chime in along with others and say there are just too many animals being euthanized daily for me to get attached to buying a bred animal. I appreciate that there is a thriving business with breeders who have true love of their breeds. But I just can't support it. I have friends who have a lovely golden retriever who are thinking of breeding them privately with another family's dog, and even that bothers me. They just like the idea of their beloved dog having other "copies" of him...a little over-romanticized, IMO, and again doesn't address that there is already an overpopulation of dogs who need loving homes. I mean, if this were a reason for humans having babies, wouldn't you be a little concerned? ZPG, baby!

Niecyboo
06-25-2007, 11:46 PM
I guess I have a hybrid dog, but was lucky enough to get it right before hybrids became famous.

Both his parents have pure bred papers. His mother was a Pug and his father was a Poodle who learned to jump 6 foot fences :blush:
Honest, that's how the breeder introduced him to my sister. Since this was 6 years ago, he was sold for just enough money to ensure he was going to a good home (you should NEVER offer a dog for free).

He's been one of the best dogs we've ever owned. I think we got the best of both breeds. I think this should be the next hybrid dog to make it big. By the way, we actually got Parker when he was 1 1/2 years old from my sister (long, sad story), so I didn't have to do any training myself. I've only gotten animals from the pound or given to me by people I know, and I'll probably stick to those criterea in the future, but I think I'd prefer a hybrid to a pure bred, since I'm a mutt kind of girl.

RenDuran
06-26-2007, 10:59 AM
"Hybrid" is just a nice way of saying mixed breed! Just go to your local animal shelter and you'll find plenty of hybrids! :)

Clotho
06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
"Hybrid" is just a nice way of saying mixed breed! Just go to your local animal shelter and you'll find plenty of hybrids! :)

Not quite true. True "hybrids" are not first-generation mixes. Like the pug/poodle mix would not be considered a new hybrid breed, I thought. I thought it had to be bred and cross-bred with another hybrid to solidify the breed "status"? I could be wrong. But that was what I was made to understand. It doesn't always work out. The world's ugliest dog is an example of an unsuccessful hybridization.

A sad fact: these new hybrids are often euthanized if they are not successful. There is a lot of needless death tied to this industry, where dogs are killed for just not being "good enough" to pass muster. The ugliest dog, again, was slated for death when he was rescued.

So consider carefully...

Tinkerfreak
06-26-2007, 07:33 PM
The health issues have nothing to do with what you feed them. It is actually the result of years of inbreeding (mating within the same genetic pool) degrading the genetic material in the animals. Same thing happens to humans, which is why you will have genetic defects if you have two humans mate from within the same genetic pool. So this is a proven scientific fact, and not opinion.

Some breeds have more issues, and they vary in severity. As I understand it, part of the reason these new "boutique breed" pets were created as a result of trying to clean up the gene pools a little bit by crossbreeding. And while they are combining breeds with the intent of bringing out specific breed traits, it is also a money-making venture--keep your "product" viable, healthy, and desirable. The new "packaging" of mixed breeds is smart business for breeders who simply cannot continue the old business model into the future and expect their "product" to be healthy and marketable. Voila. New mixed breeds.

I am not a fan of this new trend. Sorry, I have to chime in along with others and say there are just too many animals being euthanized daily for me to get attached to buying a bred animal. I appreciate that there is a thriving business with breeders who have true love of their breeds. But I just can't support it. I have friends who have a lovely golden retriever who are thinking of breeding them privately with another family's dog, and even that bothers me. They just like the idea of their beloved dog having other "copies" of him...a little over-romanticized, IMO, and again doesn't address that there is already an overpopulation of dogs who need loving homes. I mean, if this were a reason for humans having babies, wouldn't you be a little concerned? ZPG, baby!

I have to disagree that what you feed them does not effect their health. I have had dogs my entire life and the ones who were fed scraps were not as healthy. Not only did they have bad breath and smell worse but they also tended to be more overweight. Maybe what you meant was that diet does not effect the overall genetics of the breed but I really do believe that their diet absolutely does effect their health.

Jen C.
06-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Thank you to all who posted. We are definitely going to do serious research before we bring a new memberinto the family. Also, we would avoid puppy mills at all costs. The reason I asked for your opinions, is because we have always enjoyed Basset Hounds. I have always enjoyed Chinese Shar-pei's...had a lovely one as a child. The type we heard was a new "hybrid", was the mini-walrus I mentioned above. I wasn't sure this would be the "best of both worlds" type of thing or not.

I also agree that the most politically correct way to bring a dog into a family is through a rescue or shelter adoption. I am not opposed to this. I am also aware that the breed of the dog is insignificant so long as the dog is loved, appreciated, and recognized as part of the fammily. I am simply looking at all options, and was somewhat unfamiliar with the term "hybrid pupppies", and what type of dog that exactly meant. I appreciate the factual information and opinions provided. Thanks so much!;)

DREAMADREAM93
06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
The word "hybrid" has two definitions when used in biology. One means the result of interbreeding between two animals or plants of different taxa. The other is crosses between populations, species, or cultivars within a single species.

Therefore, i am very comfortable assuming that a "mutt" is the same thing as a hybrid.
The only difference between the labels is the price. The people looking to make a pretty penny will say they are selling "hybrid" dogs. Your local pound, humane society, adoption agencies, etc ... simply call them mutts. In all reality they are the same thing.

We have a mutt/hybrid and a purebreed. It is proven that the mutts/hybrids usually fare better in the health department but facts can waver based on other manipulated variables that were not factored into the conclusions. Alot of it depends on treatment and how you take care of your dog. If you take good care of your dog, your dog will live a comfortable long life. Every purebreed has it's flaws (i.e dalmations eventually lose their hearing as they gain their spots and age.). I'm sure that mutts/hybrids do as well.

JOrdan :]

tgmousechick
06-27-2007, 10:31 AM
What you end up with is the interaction of genes and environment. The ultimate example of "your milage may vary"

Possibly the classic examples of deliterious effects of inbreeding:
deafness in dalmations (diet is not going to have any effect on it- it'll be something they are born with)
hip dysplasia in German Shepherds- perhaps diet and other environmental factors may play a role in the severity, but if it happens early, the effect may tip towards genetic predisposition than environment.

(I know there are thousands of examples- these are the ones that I know off the top of my head)

Keep in mind that the canine genetic pool still has some variation in it (it not like the cheetah population that is suffering a severe bottleneck), so YOUR german shepherd may have no hip issues at all, no matter what you feed him. But the TREND is there due to selective pressures in the past (and present). Environment (diet included) may help or hinder the appearance of these genetic trends.

I, myself, am a pound/shelter girl myself- all of our cats have adopted us, and we have spayed/neutered any who didn't come home that way. But that's our preference and choice.

Kim
(whoo hoo! got to use all of that genetics knowledge I went to college for!! LOL!)

I have to disagree that what you feed them does not effect their health. I have had dogs my entire life and the ones who were fed scraps were not as healthy. Not only did they have bad breath and smell worse but they also tended to be more overweight. Maybe what you meant was that diet does not effect the overall genetics of the breed but I really do believe that their diet absolutely does effect their health.

tgmousechick
06-27-2007, 10:37 AM
When I think "Mutt"- my connotation is that there is no consistency in what breeds are mixed.

"Hybrid" is implying a directed mixing of breeds- ie specifically a cocker spaniel and a poodle to result in a Cockapoo.

"Mutts" will always enhance the variety of the gene pool. While "hybrids" will initially enrich the gene pool for their respective component breeds, but as they are slelcted for, the varability will be reduced once again.

It's a very subtle distinction of terms (and made simpler by the $$$ involved!)

The word "hybrid" has two definitions when used in biology. One means the result of interbreeding between two animals or plants of different taxa. The other is crosses between populations, species, or cultivars within a single species.

Therefore, i am very comfortable assuming that a "mutt" is the same thing as a hybrid.
The only difference between the labels is the price. The people looking to make a pretty penny will say they are selling "hybrid" dogs. Your local pound, humane society, adoption agencies, etc ... simply call them mutts. In all reality they are the same thing.

We have a mutt/hybrid and a purebreed. It is proven that the mutts/hybrids usually fare better in the health department but facts can waver based on other manipulated variables that were not factored into the conclusions. Alot of it depends on treatment and how you take care of your dog. If you take good care of your dog, your dog will live a comfortable long life. Every purebreed has it's flaws (i.e dalmations eventually lose their hearing as they gain their spots and age.). I'm sure that mutts/hybrids do as well.

JOrdan :]

MsMin
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
It's not that a Mutt isn't a hybrid but in the "doggy breeding world" it's the distinction or their lingo for saying the two animals have been bred over generations to produce a more predicable result. An F1 will produce more variance and that's why the term "hybrid" is used to distinguish b/c the goal is to develop a new breed with predicable characteristics. Most puppy abuse is a result from families underestimating the dogs behavior when adopting (purchasing etc) It's a goal to have standard traits that are consistent w/i the breed to help families understand the responsibility they are undertaking. It's the investment of the multi generations that you are paying for and not just a random breeding but some ppl want to take advantage of that.
It's about responsible breeding. I think that it tells you a lot about a breeder when they suggest the dog is something it is not. :paw:
A beagle is known to be one of the healthiest breed if you can stand the howling:blush: This is why you see a lot of cross breeding w/ the beagle right now such as the puggle. I agree that the best diet in the world will not prevent the bad genes, even a coat has a genetic factor along w/ teeth and skin (allergies) Again the cross breeding is to weed out the bad traits so random breeding should not be labeled as a "hybrid" it's just not responsible breeding.
As far as diet- I agree -most home foods do not contain an adequate diet for pets to insure a long healthy life. A common mistake is in calcium levels and many die from kidney failure due to hypocalcemia over the years.

Momof2boys
06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
We bought a Malti-poo (Maltese Poodle mix) in November and she is the best dog we've ever had. We've had pure bred beagle, cocker spaniel, and golden retriever in the past and each of them had their own faults.

When we decided to get another dog, I did my research because I wanted something small yet sturdy, not high strung, and non-shedding. I found about the Malti-poo and contacted people who had them with questions. We specifically wanted the mother to be the Maltese & the father to be the poodle based on their breeds characteristics. Found a breeder and waited for a litter to be born. We only paid $150, not the $600-800 dollars that some of them go for (teddy bears).

Lilo is fantastic, super smart, loves the kids, and likes to snuggle on my lap to watch TV. We wouldn't trade her for anything.

Good luck !

Clotho
06-27-2007, 02:23 PM

Yes, of COURSE what you feed them affects their health. I never implied differently. I was saying that, contrary to what your post read like, genetic inbreeding is a serious issue which is not at all affected by what you feed them. Of course any living thing will thrive or die based on what it is fed!

RenDuran
06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Healthwise I think a lot of dog health is pure luck!

We had a sweet, mixed-breed, Sarah, that had a lot of health problems over the years, including kidney problems and a torn acl. She dropped dead last year at age 10 for no apparent reason. On the other hand, my purebred German Shepherd, Abby, has been the healthiest dog I know! She's just turning 10and is on the same diet that Sarah was. I think some health issues are just luck....whether good or bad. Of course, there are certain things some breeds seem to be predisposed to like displasia, skin disorders, etc.

I still believe hybrids are only glorified mixes. A true breeder, from the few I've know, tries to breed dogs are healthy and have the best qualities from their given breed. Most of these hybrids seem to only be bred for their cute looks.

Whatever you choose, have fun with your new puppy!:dog: