PDA

View Full Version : Experience w/ gas fireplaces

Dsnygirl
06-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Okay, I know this is a crazy question for summertime, but we just moved and it has been really chilly here off & on since. Our house has a gas fireplace insert, the kind without the glass doors that is essentially just 3 logs on a gas burner, set into an existing wood fireplace, pilot light, etc.
We've only run it 3 or 4 times to get the chill out, and we made sure we have CO2 detectors to watch out for carbon monoxide poisoning... but it seems that every time we run it, there is still a strong gas-like smell and I end up with a headache about 30-45 minutes after we turn it on. I know that headaches can be a symptom of CO2 being in the air - but the detectors aren't alarming.
We're going to have someone come out and look @ it, and service it if need be, but I just wanted to ask about other people's experiences w/ this kind of gas insert.
As most of the gas fireplaces I've been around have the glass doors in front, I've never smelled anything - but I'm wondering if we shouldn't be smelling anything, even w/o the doors - seems to me that still could be dangerous, and a sign the fp just isn't working properly.

Does anyone have a fp insert like this, and what's your experience been like? We're renting this house for the year, and we'd hate to find out that there's a problem and that we can't use it!

Thanks! :thanks:

kakn7294
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Mine has the glass in front and we never have a problem with a gas smell. I would think that you shouldn't smell anything regardless of whether it has doors or not. You are wise to have yours checked out and you probably shouldn't use it again until it's been looked over. Headaches are definately a sign of CO2 poisoning and those home CO2 detectors aren't always accurate. We had one in our previous house that would alarm every time I baked more than one batch of cookies. There was no CO2 in the house according to the professional check by the local fire department. :blush: They have also been known to have to reach levels of CO2 much higher than where our symptoms start before they alarm. Of course, the headaches could also be caused by the additive that they use in the gas so we can smell it.

janmathatter
06-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Headaches are also a symptom of propane leaking. I would suggest you turn off the gas and pilot light and have this checked immediately by the gas company. You should also get a propane leak detector. We have a gas fireplace such as you described and we love it. The first thing I installed along with it was the propane detector.

Twinsowner
06-23-2007, 08:44 PM
We have the very same setup and we never really experience a gas smell. I turn the pilot off in the summer though. I suppose occasilnally for just a few seconds we do get a hint of a smell but nothing like you are describing. Get it checked out. If it is leaking a bit it is an easy fix.

BronxTigger
06-23-2007, 10:43 PM
When the gas company came out to check my stove for gas leaks, they had a spray bottle with soapy water in it. They sprayed the soapy water around the stove. If there is a gas leak, they say the soapy water will start to bubble.

Just a thought. Definitely get it checked out.