PDA

View Full Version : Do CMs Favor Having the Tip Included?

MouseHouser
06-23-2007, 08:23 AM
I've read that under the DP the waitstaff gets an automatic 18% gratuity, which sounds like a good deal to me for CMs.

But then I've read that during recent contract negotiations CMs bargained (unsuccessfully) to do away with having the tip included for DP guests.

I'm curious as to how CMs actually do feel about the DP as it stands.

vamaggie
06-23-2007, 08:30 AM
I can't speak for CMs per se (since I am not one) but when I waited tables and they added gratuity to the larger parties it put my mind at ease that I would get a decent tip. I would think CMs would like knowing they were getting 18% as opposed to 5% or whatever the guest decided to leave. Of course some will say that CMs (and wait staff in general) may not be as attentive and responsive if they are not "working" for their tip (since it is included) but this has not been my experience.

TheRustyScupper
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
1) Yes and No.

2) Yes
. . . they get a tip no matter the guest or the service
. . . they can increase the tip by giving more food *

3) No
. . . they can't escape reporting income for the taxes
. . . before, they could pocket the bucks tax free

* The tip under DDP depends upon the size of the check. So, CM's push more food and dessert to pad the bill. Even when you didn't want it, they say "What the heck, it is free, so go ahead and try it.". This automatically increases the size of their tip. Thus, in many cases (per the servers I know), their income has increased.

MouseHouser
06-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Ah, now it all makes sense.

Thanks RS.

MouseHouser
06-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Knowing this, when using the DP, I think it's good form to add a little something to the tip, in cash, when you get the usual fine service.

Jen C.
06-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Knowing this, when using the DP, I think it's good form to add a little something to the tip, in cash, when you get the usual fine service.

We ALWAYS tip at least 5%, usually 10% over the DDP gratuity. Just a personal choice I guess:blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Since WDW gets a lot of people from other countries, I would think this is a good thing to have the tip include especially since it is NOT customary for Europeans to tip as a rule.
And if I get less than decent service, you can be sure I'd speak up. Even though the tip is guaranteed, the service should still be good.
I used to bartend and even on an open bar with a guaranteed tip, I still gave the same service I would have if it was a cash bar.

TheRustyScupper
06-24-2007, 07:04 PM
. . . I would think this is a good thing to have the tip include especially since it is NOT customary for Europeans to tip as a rule . . .

1) Lots of people do not understand the reasons for this.
2) Americans are critisized constantly for "over tipping".
3) In most of the world, servers are not underpaid.
4) In the USA, servers can be paid less than min wage.

5) Our experiences - both business and pleasure
Australia:
. . . tipping is not a normal, and discouraged
. . . they are well paid
. . . good service is EXPECTED for the pay rate
England:
. . . tips are strictly optional
. . . service charges are frequently added to bills
. . . if you tip, do about 10%
. . . but, do not use bronze coins - it is an insult
France:
. . . no tipping, but sometimes a coin is OK
. . . tips are included within the food price
Mexico:
. . . tips of about 10%-15%
. . . servers are paid poor-to-average
. . . they survive on tips
Japan:
. . . tips are discouraged, and considered rude
. . . servers are well paid
. . . but, they strive to give excellent service
Czech Republic:
. . . tipping is customary
. . . but, has NO relation to size of bill
. . . it is in appreciation, and up to the patron
China:
. . . tipping is not usually
. . . but hotel catering to foreigners can accept tips
. . . tip in usually in the food cost
. . . but, hospitality is a given
Russia:
. . . tipping not usual in most of the country
. . . but, typical in Moscow is about 10%
. . . this is regardless if a service charge is added to the bill

mulderxcoltrane
07-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know if, when the new contract was finally approved, the tip was included on the DDP?

DizneyRox
07-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Last I heard, not reporting income was tax fraud. If this is the reason for not wanting tips included in the DDP, then I might need to rethink my tipping practices. I would somewhat feel like I was encouraging illegal behavior.

TheRustyScupper
07-08-2007, 11:52 AM
. . . Last I heard, not reporting income was tax fraud . . .

1) That is why I tip on the credit card, and not in cash.
2) When on the card, the eatery has to report the tip the employee gets.
3) This is not WDW, but anywhere.
4) I want the server to get the tip.
5) But, I want them to also pay their taxes.

NOTE: I am sorry, but I pay my taxes and I think that waiters/waitresses should also pay their fair share. Just because they work in a restaurant, it is NO excuse to avoid taxes. I apologize for sounding Polyanna-ish, but you live here and that is the cost.

allie_to_you
07-08-2007, 02:06 PM

I don't necessarily think you should have to tip extra when on the DDP. I think 18% is a good amount is you get the normal service you should expect to get. If you get really poor service, I think it stinks to have to leave any tip, but since you have already pre-paid for your meals and the tip, then unless you get exceptional service (which then I think might warrant an extra tip), then I think the 18% they get is plenty.

Disney4
07-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Last I heard, not reporting income was tax fraud. If this is the reason for not wanting tips included in the DDP, then I might need to rethink my tipping practices. I would somewhat feel like I was encouraging illegal behavior.

Tip compliance laws ensure that servers at least report a minimum standard of tips. I am not sure if Florida has these laws.

JPL
07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I can't imagine any server not wanting the tip included with the DDP. I would rather have the gauranteed 18% then take my chances with what people feel is fair. I had some friends in college who worked as waiters and that was their biggest complaint about their jobs. They would go out of the way to please customers and get a $5 tip on a check over a $100. Where the problem is showing up at WDW is the amount People are paying for the DDP. Figure if you are paying about $40 a day for the plan your lunch is $10 and you snack is $4. That leaves a total credits of $26 for dinner. Say your meal comes out to $50 per person based on menu pricing for Dinner. At 18% the server the server would receive a $9 tip. Leaving a total of $17 to actually pay for the meal. So as far as profit margins I can see Disney wanting to end this practice so they walk away with more profits.

little disney lovers
07-08-2007, 06:43 PM
I agree that they should keep the tip included in the DDP. I am from Australia and have a hard enough time using your all green money (ours is a different coulour for every donomination), Let alone trying to work out what is the appropriate tip. I am always so scared I will offend someone so end up leaving at least 20% and it makes for an expensive experience! I would be pleased to have the tip included so don't feel like anyone is hard done by, But also leave a few bucks for good service.
:thumbsup:
And, You live in a strong, proud country, People have to pay their taxes to keep it like that. Whether they are waiters or lawyers, that's the rules!
:mickey:

LoriMistress
07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
From what I've read on other Disney Board with many CMs who say positive and negative things about guests, they don't care for the Free Dining Plan offer. You have to realize too that the waiters have to split their tips with the staff. If you feel like the CM/Waiter/Waitress is doing a great job; if you feel like giving them extra $ than do it. That's what DH and I do.

ElenitaB
07-08-2007, 07:23 PM
You have to realize too that the waiters have to split their tips with the staff.
As a server, you split your tips with the staff no matter if you receive 5%, 10%, 18% or more. Back in the day, a majority of 18% tips would have been great, and given me a bigger pie to share. (Again... lots of foreign guests who did not tip to U.S. standards.)

lockedoutlogic
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
1) That is why I tip on the credit card, and not in cash.
2) When on the card, the eatery has to report the tip the employee gets.
3) This is not WDW, but anywhere.
4) I want the server to get the tip.
5) But, I want them to also pay their taxes.

NOTE: I am sorry, but I pay my taxes and I think that waiters/waitresses should also pay their fair share. Just because they work in a restaurant, it is NO excuse to avoid taxes. I apologize for sounding Polyanna-ish, but you live here and that is the cost.

Amen, brother.....

And by the way...but if the employees seriously lobbied to not have the grat included...it would be the equivalent of taking a smith and wesson to their big toes....

to push for that kind of thing would be donkey-fied.
If the dining plan increases greatly (a 20% increase due to lack of gratuity is a huge increase)...people will shy away from it and servers will see the return of the shared appetizer/ no desert orders....

IF...big IF...they did take that angle...they should be embarassed...they already don't pay state income tax in florida....how much do they think they should take home from their gross?

Taxes are the price you pay for living in the most wealthy, advanced country in the history of the Earth...if you don't want to pay em...a dinghie pointed toward Cuba can be arranged.

IF anyone wants gratuity eliminated from the DDP...they are either 1. an idiot...or 2. in a corner office of a "Team Disney" Building.

lockedoutlogic
07-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I agree that they should keep the tip included in the DDP. I am from Australia and have a hard enough time using your all green money (ours is a different coulour for every donomination), Let alone trying to work out what is the appropriate tip. I am always so scared I will offend someone so end up leaving at least 20% and it makes for an expensive experience! I would be pleased to have the tip included so don't feel like anyone is hard done by, But also leave a few bucks for good service.
:thumbsup:
And, You live in a strong, proud country, People have to pay their taxes to keep it like that. Whether they are waiters or lawyers, that's the rules!
:mickey:

We've solved this problem....

Our 10's are now Orange...

amd due to the large number of tanks driven by our private citizens...a barrel of light crude oil can be accepted as payment for just about everything....