PDA

View Full Version : Lilly Belle

Chescat
06-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I went to the park with my niece and spend most of the day at DCA. We found out we had to get a limited pin at Little Green Men shop. So we headed to Disneyland. I told her I don't feel like fighting the Parade going up Main Street, lets just ride the train to Tomorrowland.

So we hit the Main Street Train Station. The Ward Kimball shows up. We are near the end of the line going in. About 3 groups ahead of us, the conductor says do any of you care to ride in the back car. I'm like :here::here: He said its not air conditioned and a bit warm for a day like this. But there are fans. We watch all 3 groups say not interested. I'm thinking are these people morons or what. So about 15 of us entered the back car.

Well turns out the caboose is the Lilly Belle. I have tried for years and years to get in it. SparkleMeTink and her family did get to ride it about a year ago and did the same thing I did. Almost fainted when I realized I'm in this car! We were first ones in, so we immediately run to the back where I spotted the picture of Walt & Lillian. The guy told us that the car had been refurbished and that they are trying to have more normal people like us (not the usual VIPs) ride it. You can only get in it on Main Street. The story he told us was that when Disneyland first opened there were two operating trains. A passenger and another type train (I don't remember what he called it now, arg!). The Lilly Belle was the only part left of that original passenger train. (If I got this mixed up, please somebody correct me). So we took a bunch of pictures and got off at the Tomorrowland station.

Here's the Lily Belle pictures. Enjoy! BTW, the fan I have pictures of, he said the wiring was from the original train to the new fan.

Lilly Belle Pictures (http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/LillyBelle)

jodijo
06-22-2007, 04:53 PM
WOW!!!!! I am so jealous! I just can't believe anyone would turn down a chance to ride in the Lilly Belle car. Thanks for sharing your pictures. They are wonderful.

Carol
06-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing them with us, Traci. Very cool indeed. :cool:

Disneyluvr2
06-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Congratulatons Chescat!!! I got to ride in the Lilly Belle last September. It was just my to friends and I alone in the car. I must say that was one of my most exciting days at Disneyland! The Cast Member even let me try on the black smoking jacket hanging near the front door. It was a very warm day that day and the fans weren't working but we didn't care! We felt like royalty as we rode around the park!

NotaGeek
06-24-2007, 03:25 AM
:clappy:

Thanks for sharing your photos with us, I am SO jealous you got to experience such a special ride on the Lily Belle! Congrats!

Maleficent's Dad
06-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Traci,
Thanks for sharing - wonderful pictures! :thumbsup: Great story; I'm glad to hear that their allowing guests other than VIP's on.

In three days I'll be looking for the Ward Kimball and its famous (or should I say infamous?) caboose! :thumbsup:

tinkwest
06-24-2007, 09:16 AM
I love to read these kinds of stories. I'm sure this is a day at Disneyland you will never forget!! :train:

Chescat
06-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Traci,
Thanks for sharing - wonderful pictures! :thumbsup: Great story; I'm glad to hear that their allowing guests other than VIP's on.

In three days I'll be looking for the Ward Kimball and its famous (or should I say infamous?) caboose! :thumbsup:
My niece went back on Friday and saw people in the Lilly Belle again. Make sure you board the train at Main Street and ask the conductors in the station if you can ride the Lilly Belle. We entered the station and walked to the left since that was the back part of the train. We're going to try this again when we go back this week. I want to be able to nail this down on how to do it so everybody here can share the same experience. :D

Maleficent's Dad
06-24-2007, 09:11 PM
My niece went back on Friday and saw people in the Lilly Belle again. Make sure you board the train at Main Street and ask the conductors in the station if you can ride the Lilly Belle. We entered the station and walked to the left since that was the back part of the train. We're going to try this again when we go back this week. I want to be able to nail this down on how to do it so everybody here can share the same experience. :D
Great tip! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Belle619
06-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Wow - how exciting! We're going in a few months for our honeymoon - hopefully we'll get the chance to ride in the Lilly Belle!

Lucille
06-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures. I'm so jealous!!!!

NYdaily
07-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Congrats! I saw the Lilly Belle on the tracks last week and wondered how to get on. Just have to be as lucky as you I guess! :thumbsup:

Disney Babe
07-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks so much for posting. I never ride the train anymore, but I will definitely line up at the Main Street station on my next visit! Loved your pics. I especially liked the photo of Walt and Lillian.

:train: