PDA

View Full Version : Bad guide on jungle cruise

ghost999
06-22-2007, 03:21 PM
hey ya'll i was just wondering if it was just us that had this bad guide on jungle cruise. all the jokes and everything he said was so monotonous. he looked like he didn't want to even be there. has anyone had a bad guide on this ride or any other ones.:mickey:

Jasper
06-22-2007, 03:31 PM
We have had some that were less outgoing than others, but I can't say we have ever had one that we would define as "bad." Of course, everyone has a different definition of just what bad really means to them.

Goes4FastPass
06-22-2007, 04:28 PM
The Jungle Cruise guides have a tough job these days. With Kilamanjaro Safari a few miles away at AK and real animals, the JC is looking particularly outdated And the depiction of African 'natives' makes "Song of the South" look progressive.

Luckily, our recent JC guide (a week ago) did the whole cruise as an over-the-top, shall I say, "interior decorator". "Oh pul-leeze! I'm terrified! We're all going to die!" It was a riot.

DisneyFreak23
06-22-2007, 05:06 PM
i would hate to have a bad guide:(

DawsonAR
06-22-2007, 05:08 PM
We had a guide that we didn't care for. We had to "redo" the ride later in the day just to get the experience out of our heads. The second guide was wonderful! :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
06-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, it happens. I just try to keep in mind that while we all are on vacation they (the CMs) are actually at the office doing the same thing over and over.

People will have off days at work anywhere. If its to the point of rude, sure say something to Disney about it, but if its just someone looking tired or bored, well it could just be one of those things. With the 10's of thousands of employees, not everything will be perfectly magical.

Lauretta
06-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, we've had guides who just rattled off their lines. It used to be that Disney cared about how these cast members did their presentation. It was always quality. Not so anymore, sad to say...I wonder why that is. Do you think the days are numbered for the Jungle Cruise ride?:confused:

CU Tiger
06-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Fortunately, we have had fairly good guides and all with good enthusiasm. We always enter with an open mind, knowing that the jokes are going to be corny and no part of the ride is to be taken seriously. I guess all of us have a bad day now and then. :mickey:

Lizzie
06-22-2007, 08:59 PM
I think job as guide has got to be tough if you end up with boats of people that don't repond. I have been on it where we are the only ones.

Natazu
06-22-2007, 09:44 PM
We ride JC several times each trip. We have great skippers most of the time, good ones about almost all the rest, and truly bad ones very rarely. It's fun to hear the different styles adn once in a while... a new joke.

emmingo
06-22-2007, 11:02 PM
We had a fabulous guide the last time we were there (in Feb), but only because the CM in charge of the line had been chatting with us for a few minutes while we were in line and recommended that we hold up for the next boat (with the better skipper). I think the prob. is with the lines, etc.--not so much the skippers. Even the GOOD skippers say the same lines with some schtick--ours was incredibly sarcastic, very dry.

The ride that I have had awful guides on more often is the Great Movie Ride.

Lauretta
06-23-2007, 09:04 AM
The ride that I have had awful guides on more often is the Great Movie Ride.

Yup...there too. Again...Disney was known for perfection. Cast members were excellent in the past, without exception. What happened?

crazypoohbear
06-23-2007, 09:43 AM
We've had "okay now it's time to say this line" JC guides and we've had great ones. It really is true that the guide makes the ride

LibertyTreeGal
06-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Well, I'll have to see in November, but the guide we had in DL in March was so incredibly good that everyone else has to look bad by comparison.

TiggerRPh
06-23-2007, 10:10 AM
We've had a few bad skippers, but it's rare. We have had a few where the delivery was monotone, but it was part of the shtick...it was still funny.

mtown71
06-23-2007, 02:06 PM
We've had "okay now it's time to say this line" JC guides and we've had great ones. It really is true that the guide makes the ride

Boy, do i agree with this! The JC skipper we had on our last trip was just reading "the script" & acted like he didn't want to be there.

Stu29573
06-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I've never had a bad skipper, but I have sat in the back and had a bad speaker...That's amost as frustrating!

Scott C
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
A few years ago we had a guide one night from Hong Kong who could barely speak english. It was a hoot. She new where you were supposed to be funny -- but she could not quite get the point across. For instance she would point and say butterfly and start giggling. Very enjoyable cruise but totally useless

Thanks
Scott C

SBETigg
06-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Having a great skipper makes all the difference in the Jungle Cruise. We've had good ones who improvise new jokes with the old ones and generally seem to love what they do and bad ones, who can barely deliver the punch lines in monotone. How can you take that job and not have fun with it?

mainemajor
06-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Sorry about your experience:(
We loved our guide last year.
Riding it at night is much better than during the daylight hours, IMHO:mickey:

starflyer59
06-24-2007, 10:12 AM
We have had some guides who have butchered the entire thing. Some are really good and give a new twist on the same story. The jokes haven't changed in years....I have been to Magic Kingdom so many times that I could get up there and be the captain and still tell the story word for word.

But we still love the JC after all these years and it is a must see on our list everytime we go.

Old School Mouse Ears
06-25-2007, 08:43 AM
i dont remember having a "bad' skipper on JC last few times,but i do know if the "crew ' reacts to the jokes the "skipper" will improve:D

Charlee
06-25-2007, 03:10 PM
As I'm posting this in the Wonderland Cafe at DisneyQuest on the last day of our trip, I want to say we have been on Jungle Cruise twice during our trip, one during the day and the other at night. We had one CM who had us giggling all the way round (Ian I think) and was the best we'd ever had - and we go on JC at least once every trip! The other CM was very good just not quite as good as the first.
JC does have old cheesy jokes but is a major part of MK and wouldn't feel right without it! You've just gotta hope you get a good CM! :mickey: