PDA

View Full Version : Neintendo DS vrs PSP

thrillme
06-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Just curious. Two major hand held play systems...the Neintendo DS/DS Lite and the Sony PSP which do you or your kids prefer?

I wanted to get my son something "special" for his 5th grade promotion and we have a two week car trip coming up with just the two of us so a new game system over his Gameboy Advance seemed great.

I wrestled over this decision for a while and then settled on the DS LITE because I admit "I" LOVE touching the screen and it will play most of those old "Gameboy Advance" games he has.

I ended up buying one for my boyfriend on Father's Day and now my TWO children love beaming games back and forth to each other. I'm probably going to have Pink one for ME:blush:

I do wonder a bit if I made the right decision because NOW the PSP has come down DRAMATICALLY in price and I was told that the PSP is really the "better" technological gaming system.

CrazyStitch
06-22-2007, 12:53 PM
DS all the way. I don't care if a game has the greatest graphics, I just want the game to be fun. And the Nintendo DS is fun :)

Oh, and if I can make a suggestion, pick up a copy of Elite Beat Agents. Great, innovative game with great music. Super fun :)

nicole48040
06-22-2007, 01:03 PM
My son just graduated 5th grade as well.:thumbsup: He got the ds lite for Christmas. We chose DS due to the fact that it has more games that are age appropriate. My son's favorite thing is that on certain games there is actually a censor that can tell you are blowing at the screen and the faster you blow the farther up the character goes and the more points you get. I would also reccommend the nerf case for it. It snaps right into it and protects it very well.

SallyfromDE
06-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Todd is 8 now and asked for a the DS lite since his gameboy broke. He can use his game boy games with it, in addition to the DS Lite games. I don't know about the PSP system.

MMouse6937
06-22-2007, 01:25 PM
I have a Nintendo DS and I love it. I looked into the PSP but thought it was a little expensive. I didn't want the Gameboy since my DS can play both games. It's great, I LOVE it!!

kid_at_heart
06-22-2007, 01:40 PM
The salesman explained it this way. If you accidentially drop the DS, it bounces most times. If you drop the PSP, congratulations on your new paperweight.

The DS is more robust for the field testing that children provide. Even before you consider the legacy games and all of the Mario series only available for the DS.

RedSoxFan
06-22-2007, 01:59 PM
DD10 has the DS and DS17 & DS15 have PSP. I think the DS will be better as there are a lot more games. The big complaint I hear from the boys is that there are no games for PSP.

thrillme
06-22-2007, 02:26 PM
My son's favorite thing is that on certain games there is actually a censor that can tell you are blowing at the screen and the faster you blow the farther up the character goes and the more points you get. I would also reccommend the nerf case for it. It snaps right into it and protects it very well.

I saw some kids doing this before. What game is that it looks cool.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Both of my boys had the original Ds's and we upgraded them to the Lite's a few months ago. They love them. The games are great and they are really sturdy.

My nephew has the PSP and always asks the boys if they have their DS's with them when we see him. ;)

tinkwest
06-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't even know anyone with a PSP. DS is very popular around here with my kids & their friends. And it's not just for kids. I'm 50+ and I have a pink one!

cetacean01
06-23-2007, 11:52 AM
PSP all the way. I can do far more with it. However having said that, if I was a kid between 8 and 14 I would go DS.

Noah's Helper
06-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't know about the PSP, but I like the multi-player features of the DS. My kids can play games with each other, or with my wife or I. My son and I went on a bus trip with a bunch of other fathers and sons, and it seemed half the boys brought along a DS. Kids (and even one dad) were frequently announcing, "Who wants to play Mario?" and organizing multi-player sessions.

I just wish more of the games would support multi-player without requiring multiple copies of the game.

crazypoohbear
06-24-2007, 11:30 AM
My son said he prefers his PSP over the DS because it has better graphics. I don't know what the difference is, it all looks the same to me?:blush:

thrillme
07-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Well the DS's are a major hit. My boyfriend couldn't stand the fact that only him and my DS could "Race" or else they'd have to "share" so he went out and bought me the "Pink" one.:cloud9:

It's really been sooo much fun. The PSP's have dropped $90 in price. Yes I think the graphics are better on the PSP but the games just are not as much fun or as "interactive". I'm seeing more and more kids putting down the PSP and getting bored. I think I made a good decison. Now they have "TouchMaster" out on the DS. These are some of those little "bar games" that you can play. They're at a lot of arcades too. Where you get to tap the screen to select cards or slide gyms, power cell aliens etc. Oh heavens. I play this a LOT.

Now...I've simply GOT to get a Wii. Forget the PS3...I'm all into the interactive stuff now.

DVC2004
07-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Nintendo's games, for the most part, are more family-friendly. That is we we own Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii (and Gamecube and Nintendo 64 before that). My boys are ages 10 and 8 and I don't approve of Grand Theft Auto and Scarface for game playing. They love the Mario games and many of the other titles. There's just a bigger selection of age appropriate games for Nintendo.

The only thing I would say PSP has a leg up on is the fact that you can watch movies on it.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Now...I've simply GOT to get a Wii. Forget the PS3...I'm all into the interactive stuff now.

My DH was up and waiting at our local Toys R Us at 3:30am right before Xmas to get my boys a Wii. He got it and they love it. :thumbsup:

My younger son literally breaks a sweat jumping around while playing it. I love the new MLB game that just came out. It is a blast to watch people swinging a 'bat" and pitching...lol.
My DD 3, loves it because it is so much easier for her compared to a regular control.

Be careful if you do get one. My Dh's co workers kids were so excited playing tennis on their Wii, one of them let the control go and it went through their new plasma tv. :covered:
I make sure we are all wearing the wrist strap when we play.

kakn7294
07-12-2007, 08:52 PM
My girls have Nintendo DS systems - not the "lite" versions though. I too liked that they played all of the old games that they already had. Plus, I like that Nintendo seems to have more games that are child and girl friendly although I admit that I don't really shop the PSP or other game systems because my girls don't have them and don't have any prospects of getting one in the near future.

PirateLover
07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
I am a Nintendo baby through and through. I received my very first NES game in 1987. My brother got the system for Christmas, but Santa was nice enough to put "1-2-3 Sesame Street" in my stocking :number1:
I've owned Super Nes, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS Lite, Nintendo 64, and Wii. My boyfriend has a GameCube that I played more than he did. I never get tired of Zelda and Mario games. DS and Wii are the most innovative systems ever. I was skeptical of both at first but I LOVE them. Nintendo just announced at the E3 convention that they are actually developing and exercise program that you can use with the Wii since so many people have actually been losing weight playing to sports games.