PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wet hardwood floor!

Tink&Goofy
06-21-2007, 11:44 PM
My DD12 loaded the dishwasher the other night (yes, she actually did!!), and started it. Unfortunately, the door was ajar, and it ran the whole cycle not completely closed. I discovered it several house later - with water all over the floor!. I wiped up the water, and didn't think much about it, but now the hardwood planks are slightly warped on the edges! Its very noticable when I walk barefoot in the kitchen (most of the time!). So now what do I do? Do I have to have it all redone to get it smoothed out again?

crazypoohbear
06-22-2007, 01:21 AM
I would call a hard wood floor place and ask them for suggestions. Even try going into a home depot or Lowe's type place. Someone there should know what to do.
Good luck

Sunshine1010
06-22-2007, 01:50 AM
We just had hardwood floors put in our kitchen/dining room a few months ago.

When they were installing them....they put down a few layers of stuff (plastic included) to make things level, etc. when the boards were put in.

How many boards are warped?
Are there protective layers underneath?
How old is the wooden floor?

Perhaps when you answer these questions...someone can help you.

DizneyRox
06-22-2007, 08:23 AM
WIth real hardwood: If it's very noticable, you're probably looking at refinishing the floor. You'll need to sand the floor to remove the highspots and then refinish it.

With Laminate: it's possible that it will pop back into shape, SORTOF. We put a laminate in our kitchen, but we sealed it (even though they say you don't need to). On the off chacnce there is standing water near one of the seams (dogs tend to drool), sometimes it does swell a little, but once it dries out over a few days it tends to go back towards normal.

Real wood will probably not behave this way. Which is why, wood flooring is NOT a suggested flooring for kitchen environments typically. Water and wood don't mix too well.

Good luck!