PDA

View Full Version : Ohana's Breakfast - Never Again !!!

JANNINO
06-21-2007, 12:18 PM
We just got back from WDW yesterday and our trip was great except for our breakfast at Ohana's Tuesday morning. We had a 9:00AM ADR and we arrived at 8:50AM for check in. We were not seated until 10:00AM, one full hour past our ADR. Now I know you are not seated at the time of your reservation, but to wait 70 minutes is rediculous, especially when you see people who arrived after you get seated ahead of you (and yes, they had 4 people just like we did). I finally went up to the counter at 9:45 to check to make sure they did not forget us anf they said they were a little backed up and we'd be seated soon (which turned out to be another 15 minutes). I'm sorry, but that's the last time we ever go there. 70 minutes is just too long a wait for any restaurant.

Now in comparison to other restaurants we went to:

- The Crystal Palace had us wait only 10 minutes to be seated for breakfast.

- The Plaza Resaturant has us wait 15 minutes for lunch.

- The Brown Derby has us wait 10 minutes for dinner.

- The California Grill has us wait 20 minutes for dinner.

- Le Cellier had us wait 10 minutes for dinner.

- Chef Mickeys had us wait 15 minutes for breakfast.

No more Ohana's for us.

Speedy1998
06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
We had a similar problem Thursday morning, we were suprised when we showed up early to our 9am ADR that it was going to be a 30 min wait. DW and I were discussing it, and we came up with 2 possible reasons. 1. They are overbooking ADRs. 2. They are letting too many walkups in.

January-2007
06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry you guys had such a long wait, what a bummer! I always have something to do if that happens, like writing in my book about the trip or playing cards with DH. Considering how fast you got in to the rest of your restaurants though, I can see why you're quite upset! I hope the meal itself was enjoyable, even if it was delayed.

JPL
06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
It's overbooking from the DDP. I can tell you just returning they are not letting any walkups in most places. We tried a few especially in the MK area. I always use to be able to walkup at the Concourse Steakhouse and almost always at the Plaza. This trip they said ADRs only. We even tried calling for Ohana before deciding on Boma for breakfast and I asked what about a walkup since it will be later past the breakfast rush and they said no walkups are being taken.

ChipDale2708
06-21-2007, 01:11 PM
It wasn't recent, but we had the same thing happen w/ Tony's in the MK. We arrived early for our ADR and sat for over an hour watching people come in after us and be seated right away. When I inquired they said they were backed up, but finally a manager admitted they misplaced our slip of paper. By the time they were able to seat us, it was too late we had to get out front for Spectro (our only available viewing that trip). Dinner that night was chocolate cake on Main Street. Okay, that wasn't THAT bad... We won't go back to Tony's because of that.

Hope your meal was good when you were finally seated!

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-21-2007, 01:29 PM
That is crazy!!! Isn't the whole point of having to make ADR's so that they can manage the flow of people...they know that they are going to be full, we we know that we aren't going to have a huge long wait?

I'm so sorry that happened...70 minutes is just crazy! I agree that they might have tried to have too many ADR's...

DawsonAR
06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
WOW! That is terrible. I'm sorry to hear you had to wait so long!

Toughbug
06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
I will agree with what JPL just posted. It has to be overbooking on the DDP, because I also overheard them turning walkups away, a couple of places said that they don't take walkups because of the DDP. In fact, Mama Melrose and Donald's Breakfastasaurus were two that I specifically remember that said they were not taking walkups because of being booked solid.

Might I suggest you try the Kona Cafe right next door. And might I also suggest the Tonga Toast. But that is another topic.

SBETigg
06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
That's a terrible wait for a meal. I'm sure you were really frustrated, wow! Sorry about the bad experience.

JANNINO
06-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Toughbug - We had already been at Kona Cafe (and the Tonga Toast is great), but Ohana offers a character meal while KK does not.

The general theme I am hearing is that the restaurants are overbooking (most likely due to the DDP). They should book only the amount of tables they have. But the problem with that is that some people make multiple ADRs and only show up for the one they want on that day. Disney should have a way of making sure people do not have multiple ADRs at the same time and/or penalize people.

pshokie
06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
This may be slightly off topic, but when we were at the Poly in May we noticed that the crowds for 'Ohana were HUGE. To the point of overflowing.

This was not just for a single day, or time of day, but all the time. Breakfast - Packed. Dinner - Packed. The lounge area was literally standing room only, and that has seating for some 40+ people.

But the check-in at Kona (just 30 feet away) only had a few people. Granted it was full (except for breakfast, no characters), but it seemed like no one "waiting" on Kona.

Could it simply be that they have somehow botched the timing/seating at 'Ohana?

For the record, ate one dinner & three breakfasts at Kona. Breakfasts were immediate seating, dinner was no more than 10 minutes for a 5:30 ADR.

Ate one dinner at 'Ohana, had to wait about 30-40 minutes, for a 5:45 ADR.

WLfans
06-21-2007, 04:02 PM
We did Chef Mickey's two years ago and had the same problem you did. Arrived ten minutes before and waited with the rest of the herd. I won't go back there again. They shoved everyone over to the side after the pictures and it took over forty five minutes to sit. :thedolls:

Soul_Power
06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I had a similar experience at Ohana as well. My boyfriend and I went there on our last day and waited about 45 minutes or so - we had a reservation, too! We were pretty disappointed because it was our last day and we were trying to squeeze other things into the day, but thought that the food and environment more than made up for the wait once we were finally seated. :mickey:

moe513
06-21-2007, 04:12 PM
That is horrible. I bet its only going to get worse for free dining.

Disney4
06-21-2007, 05:07 PM
2005 - Dinner at O'Hana 50 minute wait

2006 - Dinner at O'Hana 70 Minute wait

2007 - NO dinner at O'Hana :thedolls:

Unfortunately, I got stuck waiting almost an hour for my ADR at Boma the following evening and really blew up at the hostess. (two nights in a row was just too much. Why make ADRs?)

However, at Bomas, the ycomped a bottle of wine and a chef presented appetizer that covered 1/2 of the table! :thumbsup: I never received that level of service from O'Hana so I will never return there . . .

LoriMistress
06-21-2007, 05:34 PM
That happened to DH and I at The Blue Bayoe one time. I think when the person who checked us in went on break or left for the day and the other staff didn't know. After people being seated after us--we approached a CM and gave us the best seat in the house.

Personally, I would have probably talked to a manager. Not to be mean, but to address the issue. Or at least write a complaint to Disney. They do reply to any comments to you make.

Nicki'sMom
06-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I am glad you mentioned your experience because last Sept we never had much of a wait anywhere. I am expecting the restaurants to be more crowded this year, but that is excessive waiting. I will not hesitate to walk over to Kona and see if they can fit us in if the wait exceeds 45 minutes. With a 3 and 1/2 year old, that amount of a wait would be the end of the evening!

Polynesian Dweller
06-21-2007, 08:43 PM
I understand your frustration and it should not happen. But I would urge you not to judge a place on one experience. Having been involved in an ownership position in the hospitality business there are several things that can completely destroy the best laid planning.

If a large party shows up you are almost certainly going to back up your kitchen and thus the restaurant services because you have to get a large number of orders ready at the same time. Second, if that large table wants a large variety of items that problem just gets worse. In very heavy service times, that can create lengthy backups. You could say that the restaurant should plan for that. Well, they do but large tables can give you all kinds of unexpected issues and your best laid plans go astray.

Also, just because a party appears to come after you does not mean that they actually have. They may actually have come much earlier and told a time to return. You just didn't see them at that time. If things are particularly hectic at some point (maybe because of a couple of large tables) that's pretty standard procedure. It keeps the crowds at the entrance from getting too large.

None of that makes you feel better I'm sure and I can't know what was going on at O'hana that morning. Just saying, that in the restaurant business, there are hundreds of things that lead to this that are impossible to control. The only way to know whether its a real problem with the restaurant or just 'one of those things' is to give it about 3 tries.

Lucyrella
06-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Okay, this makes me nervous. WE have a 4:30 ADR for O'Hana's. We also have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and if a 70 minute wait happens to us, we will be going else where. UGh.... kinda takes the fun out making an ADR if they can't accommodate it.

Crow
06-21-2007, 08:54 PM
just ate at Kona few wks ago. given a pager which went off shortly
i made ADR for Sept at Ohanas since i havent tried it, but mayb i should second guess it.
it is on a Monday at 4pm so mayb it wont b as bad?

Speedy1998
06-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Poly Dweller, having worked in the Restaurant business I would normally agree with you. But!!!, Ohana breakfast is served family stlye with nothing to order, everyone gets the same thing.

tinksmom02
06-21-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm scared now...we have 6:30 ADR's, hoping to see Wishes, so I was planning on getting there early to try and get a window table. Now I'm worried that we might not even get seated for Wishes!

Polynesian Dweller
06-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Poly Dweller, having worked in the Restaurant business I would normally agree with you. But!!!, Ohana breakfast is served family stlye with nothing to order, everyone gets the same thing.

Thanks for the info Speedy1998. I haven't actually been there for breakfast. Too hectic around there for us and that does seem to be standard. Lots of people want to go there and that in and of itself creates problems.

So that said, you're right that it doesn't back up the kitchen in the same way but I think my main point still stands which is try a place a few times to see if its typical or just that day.

ElenitaB
06-22-2007, 02:52 AM
This truly sounds like a case where the reservation got lost in the shuffle... I really would have asked (nicely) to talk to the manager once the wait got past 30 minutes (considering your experience at other restaurants during your trip). Sorry you had to go through that.

As for those with early dinner seating, you really shouldn't have a problem.

MouseHouser
06-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I agree that's too long. To have little kids and go through that would be just too much.

We normally have a pretty good wait at Ohana, but not like that. But we never mind a half hour wait. First, we know it's probably coming. And, watching party after party getting turned away as walk ups, I'm always thankful just to be getting in.

But over an hour is uncalled for.

TiggerRPh
06-23-2007, 10:39 AM
You should never have waited that long before getting up and asking about your ADR. If you haven't been seated within 20-30 minutes from your time (not when you arrive...if early), you need to say something. It's possible you got missed for a seating and by the time you told them, 25 minutes later is the best that they could do.

jillluvsdisney
06-24-2007, 05:02 PM
I would have never waited that long. That is insane to be treated like that for the price you are paying to eat at a TS restaurant at WDW.

If that ever happened to us, my dad would just about blow his fuse and we would never be able to enjoy the meal anyway.

Plenty of places to eat on I-drive and at the Crossroads. This is another advantage of renting a car or having your own.

Tinkerfreak
06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
One time we had a fantasmic dinner package at H & W in MGM. We arrived about 10 minutes before are PS time and sat down to wait for them to call our name. After about 30 minutes we were thinking wow this is taking a long time. We waited about 10 more minutes and then I asked the CM at the podium. She immediately got a confused look on her face and went to get a manager. It turned out that there was another party with 2 girls the same age as our girls and there last name was really close to ours and they had taken our table. The manager apologized and took us right in but who knows how long we could have sat there if I had not spoken up. Now if we wait more than 20 minutes I always approach the CM and just tell them I am checking to make sure we are still on the list. It was frustrating to wait that long because we did not want to miss fantasmic. I do understand that it was just a freak mistake but it is hard for little ones to wait that long and for me too if I am really starving.

JANNINO
06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
In my original post, I stated that I did go back up to the podium after a 55 minute wait thinking they forgot us or lost our ticket. But they said they did not lose the ticket and we waited another 15 minutes to get in.

I also agree with some one who said that the kitchen should not have been backed up as Ohana's breakfast is a family style meal with no menu orders to be taken.

After our experience and reading about others as well with this restaurant, we will just avoid it completely in the future. We had such a good time staying in the Contemporry that we might avoid the Poly all together given that only Kona Cafe is available to us.

Jen C.
06-25-2007, 03:58 PM
We ate for the first time at Ohana last Sept. during free dining. I can assure you that while all TS restaraunts were CRAZY (at least 70 min wait at San Angel:(), we were seated within 10 minutes of arrival at Ohana.

Still, an inexcusable wait for you. I'm so sorry you expereinced that. It's especially frustrating to see people being seated ahead of you, who arrived after you. It leads me to believe they did "forget" about you, even though they'd never admit that. I would try it on another trip if I were you, and if I was not seated within 10 minutes I would leave. I think it occuring is probably few and far between.

dog-ears
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow, it is terrible hearing about these wait times!

We've been to Ohana 3 times in the past, once for breakfast (but that was before DDP) but at least once since the DDP for dinner - we've never encountered a wait of more than 15 min. Probably, one of the factors in our favor is that we are at WDW during one of the least crowded times of the year - early November.

I hope they get their act together by this November since we have an ADR for dinner again!

jpH/keD
06-25-2007, 09:15 PM
That is way too long to wait! I am so sorry you had that experience. We are going in Nov and have breakfast ressies too! I hope they get their act together before our trip! I cannot blame you for avoiding that place in the future! I have a 4yr and 6yr old and they do not wait well at all!! I am glad the rest of your meals were fairly prompt! :mickey:

illini
06-26-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't blame you for not wanting to return. That's inexcusable. I normally try to give places a second chance, but I wouldn't want to after your experience, either.

Now that I recall, we had no wait at all at 'Ohana for dinner, but our wait at breakfast was definitely on the long side-- about 30 minutes or so.

I'm glad your other dining went well, though!

pooh0601
06-26-2007, 10:35 PM
We too have had similar problems with Ohana's as far as having a LONG wait after checking in for our ADR.

It's funny, because you would think you would have this problem equally with all dining places, but that's not the case. Ohana's seems to be exceptionally BAD when it comes to seating you in a reasonable amount of time after checking-in for your ADR.

We've never had this problem at any of the other WDW table service restaurants.

kakn7294
06-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Uh oh, I have an ADR for 'Ohana for breakfast in August. I certainly hope we don't have to wait that long for a table. That's terrible! The longest we ever waited for a table was 45 min at Rose and Crown in Sept '05. We asked for a table by the window to see Illuminations and thought we were waiting all that time for a window seat but when we were seated, we were about as far from the windows as you can get! Needless to say, I have little desire to go back at this point.

sacandjac
06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
We had a dinner reservation at Ohana' s at the end of May and we only had to wait for about 15 minutes-just long enough to have a great Pina Colada in the lounge right outside Ohana's. We got there about 5 minutes before our ADR. Anyway-we'll be trying breakfast there in September and hope the wait is not too bad.

kathiep
06-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry for your bad experience. But glad to hear that everything else went smoothly.

Hopefully things get a little better before my breakfast reservations in September.

Mom2princesses
06-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your delay that was extremely long and I would be ticked off as well. We have eaten breakfast there two times and Dinner two times as well. For breakfast we have had a maximum of 10 min wait.

Dinner was about the same.

Momof2boys
06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
We've eaten at Ohana's twice and never waited more than 10 minutes. We've booked a 5:30 ADR for our first night in October - and I can only hope we don't encounter this on our first night.

You must be very patient to wait that long - I think I'd have gone up at 30 minutes and if I wasn't seated in 10 minutes I'd have hit the door. We try to plan our meals a bit earlier than when we want to eat to accomodate for this, plus our DS9 is diabetic and cannot be waiting that long to eat. We did find a wait at Hollywood & Vine last year (25 minutes) and they graciously brought him out a cookie to snack on while we waited but was seated in 5 minutes.

MOJoe
06-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Our family ate at O'hanas on Friday, June 15th. We had eaten there once before and it took about 45 minutes to get seated. The crowd was all over the place. Anyway, on the 15th, i went to the bar to order Lapu's right after we got our buzzer. It went off before i got my drinks. Less than a 5 minute wait, at 6:30 in the evening. So you just don't know. This is a good place, and VERY popular. So i would always be prepared for a 30 minute wait. It can be longer, obviously. So if you are on a very tight schedule, this is not your place. But to dine here is a fun event.

momef3grls
06-29-2007, 02:23 PM
We're going in Oct. would yo usay Kona instead of O'hana even though we already have ADR? All help appreciated Thank you!!

Goes4FastPass
06-29-2007, 02:39 PM
...I always have something to do if that happens, like writing in my book about the trip or playing cards with DH...Then again, I guess you could take cots so you could take a nap if the wait is too long.

I believe we as WDW guests are to easy going about things like this.

These days, there's a name for people who arrive at WDW without ADRs: Hot Dog Eaters. So we plan and count days and "woo hoo" when "I got Cindys"

Undoubtedly you were told at some point, "Thank you for your patience." Do you think You could have arrived 70 minutes late for your ADR and said, "We slept in. Thank you for yout patience." or "We're out of TS credits and maxxed out the VISA but we're hungry. Thank you for your patience."

A Big Kid
07-01-2007, 11:08 AM
We just got back from WDW yesterday and our trip was great except for our breakfast at Ohana's Tuesday morning. We had a 9:00AM ADR and we arrived at 8:50AM for check in. We were not seated until 10:00AM, one full hour past our ADR. .

That was my experience at O'hanna's. In my estimation, the manager NEEDS to be sent packing.

After a long day, we arrived at 8:40 pm for a 9:00 pm ADR. We were not seated until 10 pm. Miserable, grumpy, and hungry, we waited about 10 minutes for a glass of water and at least that long for the server to even acknowledge our presence. The appetizers sat on our table for about another 20 minutes before the meat was brought out- meat that was dry and flavorless to boot.

I arrived 20 minutes early for my ADR, and was seated an hour after- we sat for 80 minutes! Then when we got in, whole sections of the restuarant were empty (as in not being used.) Row after row of empty tables! That did a lot for my mood!

The management is trying to save money at the expense of an enjoyable time. Did I mention that the manager needs to be sent packing?

Less tables=less servers. Less tables=less time cleaning at the end of the night.

jrpersinger
07-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I read this thread the day before we left for WDW. I was really worried because we had our ADRs for the last day there and it was gonna be a packed day. But we had a GREAT experience. Actually of the 4 character dinners (CRT, H&V, LTT), it was our fav! We walked in 15 min early, got our pics done and was seated right away. The interaction from the characters was wonderful. Food was great. I loved the juice, althought I can't remember what was in it. We had a wonderful server.... We vowed to do it every trip we go on from now on we liked it so much!

Mickeydream
07-02-2007, 09:51 PM
We have an ADR for Ohana's on our last morning (Dec 1) at WDW. Our ressie is at 8:15 and we need to be back at POP for our flight home about 11:00. We have eaten there before (2003) and I don't remember a long wait at all. The characters and meal were both great. I hope that we do not have a similar problem, but it is not anything I am going to stress over, that's for sure. :mickey:

Mousefever
07-03-2007, 02:15 AM
These days, there's a name for people who arrive at WDW without ADRs: Hot Dog Eaters. So we plan and count days and "woo hoo" when "I got Cindys"

You're too funny! :funny:

:dory:

MickyLuver
07-03-2007, 07:09 AM
I don't know if it is overbooking, letting walkups sit down before ADR's, or a combination of both. I had an ADR for Sci-Fi and there were two walkup parties before me. I know b/c I stood behind them while they both argued with the CM's checking in about why they may not be seated. Do you know that they were seated before me and my DD! I was so annoyed b/c we had a 20 minute wait. That was very ANNOYING!
It is more frustrating b/c you know that there is nothing you can do about it. They only apologize and pretty much dismiss it. :mad: