PDA

View Full Version : Prove it.

LittleDragonErin
06-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Y'know, in a world that is highly competitive and everybody wants to be at the top, I can sometimes understand why people say things that may or may not be true. I can also understand why they would fight to show they are the best. Sadly most societies favor success or failure and the measure of your success sometimes becomes the deciding factor of your importance to others.

Personally, I don't like that notion. However, I will admit I'm a competitive person, to the point that I'm a perfectionist. Now, I've had my share of moments where I think I'm the best and that next person comes along to prove that I'm not. It's happened enough times to humble me to not do that anymore. So when people come up to me, for example on Jungle Cruise, and say you're the best at this, I'll usually just shrug and let them say what they will without agreeing or disagreeing. Yeah, I'm always at the top of that list, but who knows, maybe there's somebody out there who's better but just doesn't want to have their name up there.

At the same time though, if there is somebody who has a reputation for being the best, wouldn't it make sense not to challenge that reputation? Especially if it's backed up by their actions day after day? And even so, if you claim to be the best, wouldn't before you make such a claim find out who your competition is just so you know who has the potential to knock you off that pedestal?

So what's my point with all this? Well, today I got out of my second game of Jungle Cruise and there was this boy on the dock bragging about his expertise of this game. This game being Jungle Cruise. I've seen this before and knew where this was headed. His name has never been on the top ten list, even in the first hour when scores are low. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet he never even played the game other than boat crashing. And when I come across these people, I simply move on. But I had to stop this time.

Just as I was about to start a new game, I catch a couple people asking him for advice on how to play. I thought this should be interesting and so I waited for his response. His advice was so off the mark I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. However one person who I'm assuming was on a quest because they needed a specific score started to thank him for his advice and said they would try it. Sigh. So I stepped in and began to explain the right way to play the game.

Now you would think he'd be smart and not challenge what I was saying. But he opens his big mouth and straight out calls me a liar. O_o Okay then. One smart person tells him, "But she's got the top two spots on the list." And other says, "She's on top of the list every day, I think she knows what she's saying."

His response..."She's just lucky." O_o

Whoah whoah whoah! What?! So I ask him why he's never on the list. His response is right out of an elementary school playground..."I don't want to show off." -_-'

So I simply say "Whatever" and continue giving proper JC advice. At some point I see his bubble pop up saying, "You aren't that good. Prove it. I bet you can't even get all the spots on the list."

Now I've done it before and many know I can do it if I want to at almost any given time. So I didn't really need to prove it. But this kid made me so mad that...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/DDRin/jctopten.jpg

I bet he won't even see it. But it's a less violent solution to smacking him upside the head and feeding him to the hyenas. Roar!

P.S. I feel much better now, thank you. ;)

BronxTigger
06-21-2007, 06:18 AM
That photo is a keeper! LOL!

The kid is probably age 9.

princessjojo
06-21-2007, 09:35 AM
:thumbsup: Sometimes you just gotta do what you just gotta do...:high5:

RenDuran
06-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I will admit I'm a competitive person

I never would have guessed that about you!;)

RaspberryRed
06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I feel ya.
As mentioned before, that picture is defintiley a keeper. :thumbsup:

jjramsey
06-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Don't feel bad...hard work and effort should have some reward! :thumbsup:

Great job on the list!!!

chrisb26
06-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I understand what you mean Little its one thing for him to just say he is good whatever people know your not and do what you want. However to give false advice is another thing that isn't right especially when people take your advice to heart.

Also I think that is a great picture I couldn't help my self from laughing at the site of it. :D

mickeytinkerbellprincess
06-21-2007, 08:29 PM
WOWZERS DRAGON. That's a Kodak moment right there. I can't really believe that he's said that and that he was tricking people when they really needed advice. Glad you were there to stop it. People get really jealous sometimes, don't you think? ;)

cheshirecollector
06-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I can't really believe that he's said that and that he was tricking people when they really needed advice.

Was he tricking people, or just wrong? I got the impression from Dragon's story that he just didn't know what he was talking about.

LittleDragonErin
06-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Was he tricking people, or just wrong? I got the impression from Dragon's story that he just didn't know what he was talking about.

What I think he was doing was fibbing to get attention from some gullible kids. And me stepping in basically caught him lying and he tried to weasel his way out of it be trying to bully me into silence, which of course didn't work. Not necessarily tricking, but definitely lying.