PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain

dinahvixen
06-20-2007, 04:40 PM
I saw a clip of SM with the lights on at youtube - I have never ridden in all my 35 years; it appears to be more of a side to side curve based coaster rather than an up and down coaster - is this perception correct?

SBETigg
06-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Correct. There are no significant hills or drops in Space Mountain. It's mostly banks and curves.

TuscanRaider
06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
If I remember correctly there is one drop that might be a little bigger compared to the rest of the ride but it isn't a Splash Mountain drop :thumbsup:

Space Mt. is one of my favorite rides. :hmghost:

dixielandings
06-20-2007, 05:31 PM
The one "drop" is in no way akin to a regular roller coaster drop - not like Everest or Splash. It's similar to Big Thunder.

tadshome
06-20-2007, 05:51 PM
For me space is the least thrilling of the mountains as it has no sigifigant drops or dips... but i still love it!!!

DisneyFreak23
06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
:mickey:you have percieved correctly. Space MT is more of a curve coaster than an up and down coaster, it is also one of my fave rides at WDW:thumbsup:

K8screen
06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I think I read on another thread that SM is actually a dark version of the standard "Wild Mouse" ride. Dont know if this is true, it doesnt feel exactly the same to me, but certainly that sort of thing.

Jared
06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I think I read on another thread that SM is actually a dark version of the standard "Wild Mouse" ride. Dont know if this is true, it doesnt feel exactly the same to me, but certainly that sort of thing.
You are correct. Space Mountain does not feel exactly the same, but riding in the dark changes your perception.

TheMartellFamily
06-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Out of the hole ride there maybe one drop but none from great height. It has many curves and that is the majority of it. Also in the darkness it looks like what you can see is that the track is close around you when infact it is not. Trust me it is truely a great ride.

tomatoe pie
06-21-2007, 03:38 PM
i first road space mt. in 1977 or 78 and i really did not want to get on it, but i loved it then and still do. splash and the railroad are also rides that i love. i have not had a chance to ride everest yet, but i may be able to get thru those lines this year.:coaster:

i am not as fond of the coaster at mgm. it seems to be a cork-screw action and my stomach was not totally empty at the time i got on it, i did not really get sick just a little uneasy. i will try again and hope the second time will be more fun.:rocker: is it named after a rock group?

TuscanRaider
06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
i first road space mt. in 1977 or 78 and i really did not want to get on it, but i loved it then and still do. splash and the railroad are also rides that i love. i have not had a chance to ride everest yet, but i may be able to get thru those lines this year.:coaster:

i am not as fond of the coaster at mgm. it seems to be a cork-screw action and my stomach was not totally empty at the time i got on it, i did not really get sick just a little uneasy. i will try again and hope the second time will be more fun.:rocker: is it named after a rock group?

It has Aerosmith in it mainly. You see "Aerosmith" in the pre-show. and you hear Aerosmith music on the ride, I personally like RnRC a lot. I am a big fan of Aerosmith and of coasters like that. I might like it better than Space Mt. but I am not sure, I like them both a lot. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Space Mountain is basically a "Wild Mouse" coaster in the dark :coaster:

emmatink
06-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Space Mountain being in the dark is definitely what makes the ride. You can't tell which way you are going to turn next and that makes it fun! I had the unpleasant opportunity of riding with the lights on once because they were having some kind of problem with the ride :scared: Everything turned out to be just fine but it wasn't nearly as fun with the lights turned on. I tried to close my eyes and pretend it was dark but that just didn't cut it....the effects are great when everything is working correct. It's a must ride in my opinion.

trackbarroness
06-21-2007, 07:55 PM
There are actually like three drops on Space Mountain, with the biggest drop being 22 ft. And I've ridden it like it's suppose to be ridden and with the lights on. I love it both ways.
Space Mountain totally rocks. :thumbsup:

Stu29573
06-22-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm not a coaster fan and didn't ride SM for quite a while. Then I went through the "mountain" on the TTA with the lights on and I saw what it really was. Now I ride it every time!:mickey:
(by the way, I hate RRC. I went on it twice and got sick both times):sick:

TuscanRaider
06-22-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not a coaster fan and didn't ride SM for quite a while. Then I went through the "mountain" on the TTA with the lights on and I saw what it really was. Now I ride it every time!:mickey:
(by the way, I hate RRC. I went on it twice and got sick both times):sick:

I got sick once after it but that was a combination of RnRC, running through the rain after it, and my feet getting soaked while going to a restaurant. :sick:

But I still like RnRC a lot :mickey: