PDA

View Full Version : Going to Disney for first time.....

Ranger
06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
I am taking my two grand kids to Disney for the first time (I have been there before......was last there in 2001 or 2002?)

They are sisters-ages 4 & 2 (will turn two the week we are there!!!!). I will be taking their parents as well.

We will be staying at the Disney Allstars Resort on Sept 27 (Thurs) & 28 (Fri), checking out Saturday morning.

We will be going to the Magic Kingdom both days.

We are actually going to be in Florida for the week, staying in Palm Bay/Melbourne with family the rest of the time.

Any advice & making this the best trip ever for these two?

Here's some of my questions:

(1) We plan on checking into our hotel on Thursday. Yet, we want to go to the Magic Kingdom on this day as well. What time can we check in? If it's not until later in the day, I guess we can drive to the park & then leave & check in & then take the bus back to the park. But this would cost us extra money (parking). Any suggestions on how to make this go as smooth as possible? Is it possible to go to the hotel, check-in early in the morning (we don't actually need access to our room), leave our vehicle there & take the bus over to the park?

(2) How long does it typically take to get from the hotel to Magic Kingdom? The reason I ask is that I am pretty sure the kids won't be able to make it through the entire day without a nap. It would be nice to be able to leave the park, go to the hotel & let them nap, maybe even take a quick dip in the pool to cool off, then head back over.

(3) What time does the parade typically start?

(4) As mentioned, the younger one will be celebrating a birthday during this trip. Does the park or hotel do anything specical in these situations?

(5) I've heard of places where you can have breakfast with the characters. Are these on or near the hotels or parks? Any idea how much these typically cost? Do you need to make reservations?

We will only be in Orlando/at Disney for two days (three if you count Saturday morning). Anything that is a must to squeeze in or anything to avoid?

Any information or input that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

biodtl
06-20-2007, 12:43 PM
We plan on checking into our hotel on Thursday. Yet, we want to go to the Magic Kingdom on this day as well. What time can we check in? If it's not until later in the day, I guess we can drive to the park & then leave & check in & then take the bus back to the park. But this would cost us extra money (parking). Any suggestions on how to make this go as smooth as possible? Is it possible to go to the hotel, check-in early in the morning (we don't actually need access to our room), leave our vehicle there & take the bus over to the park?

Check-in is at 3:00, but you can often check in early. If not, you can leave your bags with the front desk, take the bus to the parks and avoid paying for parking. When you come back to the hotel later via bus, you will be able to check in.

As mentioned, the younger one will be celebrating a birthday during this trip. Does the park or hotel do anything specical in these situations?
You can pick up a birthday pin at guest relations in the park. It doesn't entitle them to anything offically, but they will generally get lots of birthday wishes, extra attention and often, a cupcake with a certificate signed by characters at character meals.

I've heard of places where you can have breakfast with the characters. Are these on or near the hotels or parks? Any idea how much these typically cost? Do you need to make reservations?
They have them in both resorts and parks. We went last fall and gfot in to a couple without reservations, but there are no guarantees and you may have to wait or not be choosy on times and locations. I would suggest calling and getting ADRs right away so you can plan around them (especially since you are only there for a short time).

Most buffet breakfasts are between $15-$30 per person, depending on age. The 2-year old will eat for free at buffets. There are some more expensive ones, like Cinderella's Royal Table (in the castle), but it's unlikely you could get ADRs there this late, anyway.

How long does it typically take to get from the hotel to Magic Kingdom? The reason I ask is that I am pretty sure the kids won't be able to make it through the entire day without a nap. It would be nice to be able to leave the park, go to the hotel & let them nap, maybe even take a quick dip in the pool to cool off, then head back over.
It's generally about 15-20 minutes on the bus.

cfoshe
06-20-2007, 12:49 PM
For starters let me :welcome: you to intercot.

1. in the past my family have checked in 7am in the morning, may not get into you room until later, but you get your park tickets.

2. approx. 15-20min.

5. i know that you can have breakfast in the castle with the priceses, and yes make adr.

T-Belle
06-20-2007, 12:53 PM
First things first...Welcome to Intercot!!!

#1 You can check in anytime that day. Your room may not be ready, but you should be able to check in
#2 I would allow 20-25 minutes drive time from
your hotel to the MK
#3 The afternoon parade starts at 3:00 but you'll want to find a good spot about 30 minutes ahead of time
#4 Yes be sure to get you Granddaughter a Birthday ribbon at City Hall on Main Street USA.
#5 There a several places for Character Dining.Under the "info Central" tab, scroll down to find all the info you'll need in making a selection and reservations.These places fill up fast .
Have a magical time!!!

sly1
06-20-2007, 01:21 PM
One must do for kids that age is "Playhouse Disney Live" at mgm. Kids that age love it. They ask them to get up and come up to dance during the show. They also usually like the Indiana Jones show and of course Fantasmic which is after dark.

BelleBeauty
06-20-2007, 01:47 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

4 & 2 are the best ages for the Magic kingdom, and the best ages to really be able to experience the Disney magic through their eyes.

You can check into the hotel as soon as you arrive, though they won't guarantee a room will be available. If a room isn't available, just leave your luggage and head off to the parks!

Get there early enough (30 minutes prior to park opening) for the opening ceremony. Mickey and Minnie and friends usually say hello to guests. If you are there early enough you have the chance of being chosen to open the park!

Make sure to pick up a birthday pin for the little one! You can also contact the Disney Florist if you would like to have something delivered to the room during your stay.

The MK will be about a 20-25 minute ride on the bus from the All Stars. I highly recommend naps in the middle of the day. Plan on being there at park opening and leaving right before or shortly after lunch. Quick nap and dip in the pool, then return for the afternoon parade (at 3pm) on day, on the other day return for dinner. It keeps the little ones from being cranky.

If you can get reservations (they are highly coveted) try to do breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table. The highlight for princess-loving little girls. If not, another great option is Cinderella's character meals at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian - just a quick monorail ride away. A special treat for the girls to add on to the character meal would be a trip to Bibbity Bobbity Boutique where they are made up to look like their favorite princess. One iso pening right in MK (not sure on date) or there is one in Downtown Disney - girls love going to the character princess meals dressed up and the princesses make quite a fuss over them!

Other character meals in MK that are great is any meal at Crystal Palace (buffet) with Pooh & Friends or Liberty Tree Tavern (all-you-care-to-eat THanksgiving-style meal) with Minnie, Goofy, chip & Dale, Pluto all in colonial dress. Chef Mickey's is also a monorail ride away at the Contemporary and that is a great character buffet!

If SpectroMagic is going to be happening when you are there, make sure to get a prime seat. It is my favorite parade! Wishes is also magical and hoepfully the girls will be able to stay awake for it. A great place to watch it on the top of the train station as you enter the MK park. There are benches if you get there early enough and then you can get quickly to the buses for the ride home.

DisneyDiva20
06-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Well the first time I ever went to Disney was when I was 3, and I thought it was the most magical place on earth, you should take the girls to a Disney Character Breakfast they would think that was the best, and I know no matter what you do they will have a wonderful time, they will think the resort you are at is the best because ALLSTAR is a great kids theme hotel! I wish you and the children the best time ever there!! I also will be there September just me and my big sister for 8 days!!:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

Doug The Disney Man`
06-20-2007, 02:43 PM
First, you've found the best Disney info site on the web, so you're off to a good start.

Second, I suggest you eat at Crystal Palace with the Winnie the Pooh characters for breakfast. The food is just awesome and usually kids that age are really into Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore!

Third, as far as what to do, MK is THE best park for kids that age and I expect that you'll be spending a lot of time in Fantasyland and ToonTown. Lots of cool stuff kids that age love, like PhilHarMagic. It's a 3D show that's really silly and takes you through numerous Disney movies. If you do go to another park, do MGM for the Playhouse Disney show plus Hollywood and Vine has a Playhouse Disney character meal with Jojo and Little Einsteins. Also MGM has the Little Mermaid show, Narnia and lots of characters you usually don't see at the other parks like Mike, Sulley, Kim Possible, Incredibles, Little Einsteins and whatever the newest Disney or Pixar characters are-now it'd be Ratatouillie!

What to avoid: With only two days and such young'ns, I would not do Epcot. World Showcase is kind of boring for wee ones and most of Future World has height restrictions, so this wouldn't go too well. Animal Kingdom is okay for little ones, with the animals and all, but with only two days, I think your time would be better spent at MK or MGM. At MK, avoid most of Tomorrowland. Again height restrictions and scary stuff, although the new Monsters Inc. show is there (I've not seen it yet, but I'll bet the kids will love it). Be careful on certain rides like Snow White, too, some little ones are freaked out by the witch.

Ranger
06-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks to all of you who replied.

Lots of great information!!!

LoriMistress
06-20-2007, 06:00 PM
If you're planing to eat at Character Meal then I would suggest calling 407-939-3463 and HOPEFULLY, there might be at least one Character Meal available. Since September has been getting more and more crowded during the years, expecially with the free dining plan--it may be harder to get into some restaurants.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Welcome to Intercot!
Another place for Character meals is the Liberty Tree Tavern, usually Goofy, Chip & Dale & Minnie. And it's right in the Magic Kingdom. We've eaten supper there and had a ball.
Or you could monorail over to the Contemporary and eat at Chef Mickey's. It's just a short trip. But whatever you decide on, call now for ADR's! You could even make more than one and then decide as it gets closer.