PDA

View Full Version : Q for moms: best places to nurse a baby while in the parks?

Cozfamilyof6
06-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi - We'll be going back to the World in October. Our youngest will be 5 months. I'm nursing her and wanted to know where (other than the baby care centers) I could stop to feed her without being out in the open. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

:mickey:

Too many times to count 1974-1992
BWV Nov.2006
BWV Oct. 2007

r4kids
06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
I usually nursed while enjoying a show: Bugs Life, Little Mermaid, etc. It nice and air conditioned and dark. We also tried to find a quite corner in a CS location and have a snack. I have 4 kids I nursed for 2ish years each and we go to Disney once if not twice a year. Once you get there you'll see alot of places you can nurse quitely. Two more I just thought of are the skyway thing ( I forget the name) near Space Mtn and the Carousel Of Progress both in MK.

kakn7294
06-20-2007, 10:33 AM
My sister nursed both of her kids at WDW at similar ages - DD was 6 mo and DS was 5 mo. The baby care centers are great but can be out of the way since there's only one per park. She often nursed in the shows and long attractions like those mentioned above. Ellen's Energy Adventure in Epcot is great - 45 min long! When we sat outside, we had a routine - I sat beside her, she covered herself and baby with a light blanket, and I used a mini personal fan under the edge of the blanket to keep them cool (it was July and too hot to be covered). Most CS locations are set up so that you can usually find a more isolated table as long as the place isn't crowded at mealtime - added bonus is that they are air conditioned. She tried a baby sling, figuring that she could carry baby and nurse at the same time and most people wouldn't know any different but it really didn't work for her. If you are unsure where would be a good location close to where you currently are in the World, ask a CM - they are great about pointing out more "private" locations. Good luck to you!

kgoulash
06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
i'll be in the same boat, only with a 7 month old!
have a great trip, hope all goes well

Flower
06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Ben was 3 months - I loved the baby care centres, but there is only 1 in each park. Head there if you can though.

Attractions were great, Haunted Mansion is another 1.

mttafire
06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
My wife...the mom. Also did the nursing either in the baby care center or during a show. The darkness made here feel better about doing it "out in the open".

Breochaid
06-20-2007, 11:31 AM
I went last October and my DS was 5 months, I nursed him during shows or in restaurants or I would try to find a quiet bench out of the way. I just had to put it in my head that my son needs fed and his needs come before other people's opinions and my own modesty.:blush:

Cozfamilyof6
06-20-2007, 03:56 PM
I just had to put it in my head that my son needs fed and his needs come before other people's opinions and my own modesty.:blush:

I also tend to feel uncomfortable about nursing in public, but I have to "get over it" and remember that I am doing a great thing for my daughter by breastfeeding her. I don't think most people will mind or be put off by it if I'm discreet. And if they don't like it - TOO BAD!

spoonfulosugar
06-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Seriously, I wouldn't give nursing at WDW a second thought. I do not understand people who flip out about it...babies need to eat too. I agree with everything that has already been said. When you get there you'll realize just how many places there are to nurse. Dark shows are my favorite :thumbsup:

kakn7294
06-20-2007, 08:20 PM
I also tend to feel uncomfortable about nursing in public, but I have to "get over it" and remember that I am doing a great thing for my daughter by breastfeeding her. I don't think most people will mind or be put off by it if I'm discreet. And if they don't like it - TOO BAD!
If it makes you feel any better, on both trips that my sister breastfed, nobody said anything to her and I doubt most people even noticed. As long as you are moderately discreet, you shouldn't have any problems as you have the right by Florida law (and by law you don't even have to be discreet about it) to breastfeed your infant. Just a little tip: as a backup, my sister always carried a small bottle and enough pre-measured powdered formula to mix up with bottled water in case she was off riding and baby was too hungry to wait for her return. Fortunately, we never needed it.

illini
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
My favorite was the TTA. We'd go 'round and 'round. Longer shows were good, too. Shorter shows could be more of a problem if you have a long nurser-- you know that horror of cutting them off too soon!!!

Five months should be a pretty easy age. Latch down pat, but not at the expose-every-inch-of-mommy stage, either. There are plenty of out of the way benches that aren't private, but quiet enough to have a relaxing meal.

snifflesmcg
06-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I think nursing is great. I can't stand those who disagree. Here is just another thought in a pinch. How about pumping some milk and putting the bottles in a cooler bag. There are probably restaurants who could microwave the bottle for you. It might be a little easier to give the baby a bottle, especially anyone who might feel uncomforatable.

Minniemouse27
06-21-2007, 08:24 AM
I think nursing is great. I can't stand those who disagree. Here is just another thought in a pinch. How about pumping some milk and putting the bottles in a cooler bag. There are probably restaurants who could microwave the bottle for you. It might be a little easier to give the baby a bottle, especially anyone who might feel uncomforatable.

Ds will be turning 2yo while we are at WDW in December so I'm not thinking I'm going to need to nurse much in the parks! :D

But I do need to add that as a mom that pumped for both kids (dd is now 6yo) while at work until they were 1yo... I SO would not pump milk to use while they are with me, especially where I would have to keep it cold in a cooler all day. Totally defeats the whole "convenience" of nursing. No need to store or warm up!

Oh and you should never warm up breastmilk in a microwave, not only does it heat unevenly but it breaks down some of the "good stuff" that is in it.

Good luck nursing at WDW, If we did go there w/ a 5mo you bet I would be nursing wherever me and ds would be comfortable! Shows and benches sound perfect to me!