PDA

View Full Version : Thieves AREN'T nice!

NotaGeek
06-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Well, I got a call yesterday from American Express to let me know that some very crafty persons managed to get access to my Amex number and have racked up thousands of dollars of stuff bought on the internet ... UGH. :mad:

Thankfully that's why I use American Express, they took off all the charges and overnighted me another card. The bad thing is I have to call quite a few companies that I use my Amex card to auto-pay my monthly bills with and give them the new number ... gotta love those double membership reward points for auto pay!

Bad THIEVES! :nono:

PirateLover
06-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey Michael, I'm glad you got your money back!!! We've had good luck with our credit card companies being over protective (we mostly use Visa)
If you spend more than a few hundred bucks in a day they will call you to make sure it was you who made the purchases. They actually froze the account once because they couldn't get ahold of anyone!
When we went over to England, we called them ahead of time to let them know we'd be over there, but we still were contacted to make sure it was us making the overseas purchases.

I used to use a MasterCard solely for internet purchases but I haven't had any problems except 3 random 15cent charges one month :confused:
I just canceled it though.

Well enough about my credit card history, I'm glad you didn't lose your money and I hope they can track the thieves and prevent this from happening to others.:cop::spy:

ChipnDaleGal
06-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Michael, I am so sorry that this happened to you, but I am glad that you will come out of this okay financially. If those theives would only put their talents to good use the world would be such a better place.

Tinkerfreak
06-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Michael, I am so sorry that this happened to you, but I am glad that you will come out of this okay financially. If those theives would only put their talents to good use the world would be such a better place.

:ditto:

Carol
06-20-2007, 07:13 AM
I'm so glad to hear they caught the transactions, Michael, before it was way out of control. It amazes me how these crooks get this information. Good luck getting everything straighten out.

CAS
06-20-2007, 07:14 AM
American Express is definitely the best card to have as far as protection goes. It's almost too protective; that's why fewer merchants accept it.

MissStyles
06-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Thank goodness they were helpful to you in refunding the $ and sending the new card ASAP. I have a feeling they see this stuff all the time.....such a shame. Hopefully karma will set in for the thieves.

ChipDale
06-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Identity thieves are the scum of the earth. :down: I'm glad that you were protected, Michael. :)

Melanie
06-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Well, that just stinks, Michael. :( Glad it was caught somewhat early. Good luck getting it all worked out!

DizNee143
06-20-2007, 09:33 AM
as soon as i saw the title for this thread..i just wanted to come here and write...
well...Duh!!!

but after reading...i still kinda mean that..but im sorry it happened...credit card companys are awesome with finding this stuff out and fixing it right away!!!..im glad everything got fixed for you!! :)

mtown71
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. I had the same thing happen to me with my Visa card through Chase Bank a couple months ago. Someone got the # & tried to make a $3,000 internet purchase for flowers with it. The charges were stopped right then for Chase knew I wasn't making the purchase. (I was only making payments on a balance transfer...never really used the card in the 2 years I had it.) I wasn't responsible for the charges & I hope they caught whoever did it. I have since cancelled the card.

Dsnygirl
06-20-2007, 09:52 AM
How awful... that's one of my biggest fears when I use my card!! I'm glad it worked out so well for you, though, even though you've got a bunch of phone calls to make... at least your $$ is safe!

ElenitaB
06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Glad AmEx came through for you! Bet you weren't the only person being scammed. Sorry you had to go through this though...

crazypoohbear
06-20-2007, 09:56 AM
thank God they caught it before any real damage was done. I work at a bank and the devastation this can cause is awful.
Now if they could just catch those dirtbags:thedolls:

kaerbear178
06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
I hate when that happens, and it happens to much. At least it was on a credit card and not a debit card. A few people I know have gotten their bank account broken into and their accounts wiped clean. It takes a good week or more to get your money back from the banks and even then it's like pulling teeth. One bank even asked my friend for $2 to open a new account after all of her money was taken. :mad:

buzznwoodysmom
06-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Glad to hear things were taken care of and you got your money back. The same thing happened to me about a year ago, except it was my debit card. We had changed phone numbers and our bank didn't have my new number so after trying to contact me about it they just shut down my account. I was out shopping with my mom and kept trying to use it and it kept getting denied. I was so embarrassed and worried. I called DH at home and asked him to check our bank account and he did and said that we definitely had money in the account. So I called my bank and they said that someone had made a $500.00 purchase at an online book store and when they couldn't get in touch with me to verify the transaction they just cancelled the card. Thankfully for me my bank never even let the transaction come out of our bank account. It really makes me mad that there are people to darn lazy to get a job like the rest of us and work for their living!

2Epcot
06-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Thankfully that's why I use American Express, they took off all the charges and overnighted me another card. Bad THIEVES! :nono:

Micahel, sorry to hear what happened. I've used American Express almost exclusively for the last 10 years. They have always been great at taking care of any problems I've had with purchases, and merchants. Luckily, I've never had one stolen. They have always been very quick at resolving issues.

American Express is definitely the best card to have as far as protection goes. It's almost too protective; that's why fewer merchants accept it.

I only use my Visa when I have to. I've actually told some merchants I will never make a major purchase here because you don't use American Express. The reason some merchants don't carry Amex, is become the company charges a higher fee to merchants then MasterCard and Visa.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Hopefully they catch the slime who did this. Sorry you had to go through it though.