PDA

View Full Version : Luau themed wedding shower

mickeys_princess
06-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey everybody! We are giving my sister a luau themed couples shower next month for her wedding. Any ideas on food, games, decorations etc....?

Thanks!! :lei:

disneydrmr
06-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Every party store I've ever gone into has had a "luau" section on decorations. Food? Will this be finger foods? A luncheon? You can do tropical skewers.. you know.. pineapple, guava, papaya.. with chunks of cooked chicken in between them...If you can find some palm tree or fish shaped cookie cutters cut your sandwich bread into tropical shapes then do ham/egg/tuna/chicken salad sandwiches. Maybe a diaper the coconut or pineapple game? Get baby doll sized diapers and see who can diaper the fastest? Hope you have fun!

meldan98
06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Since it's a wedding shower, how about limbo...that could get fun :), depending on the couples.

Dakota Rose
06-21-2007, 12:56 AM
We had a wedding party meet 'n greet luau in 2001. Luaus are my favorite theme!

We wanted to go fairly traditional and did all the cooking (except where mentioned):

Kalua Pork (cooked in banana leaves with liquid smoke, baked in our oven low and slow)
Teriyaki Chicken
Sticky white rice (fried rice is good too)
Poi (we lived in CA and had a Hawaiian restaurant not too far away)
LomiLomi Salmon (from the same restaurant)
Sweet potatoes
Polynesian green beans (green beans w/pineapple in a sweet/sour sauce)
Macaroni salad
King's hawaiian bread
Green salad w/ maui onion dressing

We divided the guests into "wedding party" and "spouses". The "spouses" sang the words to "Going to a Huki Lau" while the 'wedding party" danced the huki lau dance. HILARIOUS!

We bought hawaiian print fabric for table cloths, gave everyone leis and mai tais upon arrival, played Hawaiian music. Everyone had nametags that said their name and their name in Hawaiian. (google Mo'o and Lolo Hawaiian dictionary and you'll find the name info)

My hubby (then fiance obviously) blew a conch shell to get the festivities started.

Tiki torches, tiki torches, tiki torches.

We sat on mats on our lawn.

It was a ton of fun! :)

minnie-mouse
06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Check your local party store, they always have tons of luau decorations and items. Leis are a must, and hawaiian music. The limbo is alway fun. Maybe even use hula hoops and have a hula hoop contest, see who can swing it the longest.

mickeys_princess
06-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks guys!! Those were really good ideas. We are definitely going to do the nametags with Hawaiian names!! :high5: