PDA

View Full Version : School trip to Vimy update

Mr. Tom Morrow
06-19-2007, 10:08 PM
A couple months ago my DD had the opportunity to travel to England, Belgium, and France to commemorate the WW1 battle that took place at Vimy Ridge in France.

Each of the students was assigned a solder who died there to do a project on and represent at the 90th anniversary and re dedication of the memorial. We were able to get in touch with the family of the soldier and got some awesome information from them.

So she made a scrapbook of everything that she was able to collect, including pictures of him, his entire battalion, and his metals. Letters he wrote to his mother from the war, all the email correspondence my DD had with the family and a few other things she was able to find.

Ever since the trip I've been bugging her to get her scrapbook back from her teachers to keep. Today she finally got around to asking for it and we won't be able to get it back.. It turns out that the scrapbook was buried in a time capsule at the Vimy memorial in France! :thumbsup:

Now her work, her name and her soldiers name are buried in a Time capsule at a very special place for Canadians:cool:

Vimy '07 (http://community.webshots.com/album/559529898BTwwIy)

chrisb26
06-19-2007, 10:13 PM
wow that is awesome!

Tell her great work! :thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Sounds really cool Tom :thumbsup:

Tinkerbell627
06-20-2007, 12:28 AM
That's really awesome! I loved the pictures, espcially that third one. Great shot.

mickeynuts
06-20-2007, 10:04 AM
That is awesome Tom, she must be so proud!
:) Laura

Patricia
06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
That is so cool! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update.. she must be excited to know it's in the time capsule. Did they tell her when they would open it up?

Mr. Tom Morrow
06-20-2007, 08:31 PM
she must be excited to know it's in the time capsule. Did they tell her when they would open it up?

No they didn't tell them when it might be opened... even if they did I have a feeling they were having too much fun to listen to such
mundane details. ;)

Thanks guys I am proud of her! :)
Next years shcool trip is to Costa Rica. :cool:

Chescat
06-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Cool Tom, she has to be so excited. Those pictures are great. :)

Caroleh
06-20-2007, 09:58 PM
That is so cool!!! She must be really proud!!!

See.low
06-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Awesome tom! Love the pics. :photo:
(aint ya proud of me for posting? :D )

mickeytinkerbellprincess
06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Wow that is too awesome Tom! :mickey: Lucky of them to go all the way to Europe!