PDA

View Full Version : Spectro Magic - The Truth

iceicebritney
06-19-2007, 09:40 PM
okay, so i was just watching something disney-related on the travel channel... and i was thinking to myself how much i dislike the Spectro Magic Parade in the Magic Kingdom. And i was wondering what the rest of you thought, or how you felt about this parade altogether?
Heres my reasons. I know my nephew, my youngest neice, (and even myself when i was younger) are all terrified of the parades main characters... those mousey-clown looking things with the light up masks that change colors. And my other reason is that i just really miss the good old days of the Main Street Electrical Parade. I was SOOO excited the first time i went to Disneyland Paris (formerly Euro-Disney) and got to see the old-school MK Parade!! It was wonderful to here that song again (doo doo doo doo do doo doo doo - hehe) I still have the old record (from way way back when records were cool) that plays all the songs from the parade on it!!
I guess my main point also is - are there any of you who just would die if spectro magic left the MK? are there any of you out there, like me, who think its time for a new nighttime parade at MK? are there any of you out there who might make some changes to the parade as it is and just keep it with the changes (if so what? i'd get rid of the creepy mouse guys!!)

EvilQueen2006
06-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I love spectromagic, love the "creepy mouse guys", love the music. The best parade I've ever seen actually!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-19-2007, 09:54 PM
First off, I realize that I come from a newer generation of growing up with Disney. I was not fortunate to see the MSEP when it was on, the first time I went it was SpectroMagic in 97. I love it! I was ooooed and awwed by the whole parade...and those guys/girls at the beginning didn't scare me at all - the music is amazing and I love listening to it here.

You know, in time, they probably will get another night time parade going through the Magic Kingdom. Maybe in a year, two, five, ten, who knows. And then it will be our group of WDW fans that don't like the new one.

My point is, it will eventually change. Will they ever go back to the MSEP? I doubt it. Just like when SpectroMagic is done, and its been years, there might be - well no, there WILL be people that loved it and want it back.

Things change my friend..just the way its going to be.

Then again, I could be completely wrong with my guesses here. Fact is, I will always love SpectroMagic and as long as its on, count me in along with the thousands of others that take it in as an evening treat.:cloud9:

Chris :hatter:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-19-2007, 10:22 PM
I love SpectroMagic!!!

ccchild
06-19-2007, 10:25 PM
I adore SpectroMagic, and it's always a highlight of my WDW vacation. Last year, I took my DBF for the 1st time, and during the parade, he said, "I guess there is such a thing as Disney Magic." Now, any parade that can inspire that has to be pretty good!

No, it's not MSEP, which I also loved, but it's still a great spectacle.

Marker
06-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Scared of the parade characters????? I know, some people are, but I've never understood it. I've never understood being afraid of clowns either. To me it's like "what's there to be afraid of". It's not like anyone has ever been stalked and attacked by a parade character. But, some people are, so there they are.

I saw the MSEP at WDW years ago, I've seen the version of it that's currently at Disney's California Adventure, and I've seen SpectroMagic. I like the parades, I've liked them all. They're different, they each have their own bit of character, and I'm always just delighted to watch them. If they change it, nope, I'm not going to die. I'm sure whatever they replace it with will be equally delightful. I would have fond memories of the previous one, but I would no doubt enjoy the new one just as well.

wdwnomad
06-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I am like you and I grew up on the Main Street Electrical Parade. I loved it. When I was young I looked forward to it all of the time and even got my parents to buy the record of the music. In 2005, I was finally able to get back to Disney. On my first night there we stumbled upon SpectroMagic and hated it! I even said to my sister that that looked like a cheap Christmas parade. The next night I saw it again and said to myself, "Self, that wasn't so bad." Finally a couple of nights later I saw it again and fell in love. I even waited through a rain delay to catch the second showing of the parade to see it again that night. Now it is one of the must sees of our trips and things get planned around it to make sure we see it. When we start planing I say I don't care what we do as long as I get to see SpectroMagic!

PirateLover
06-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Sorry but I love Spectro. I've only seen MSEP on videos, but that song really starts to annoy me after a while to be honest. I had a Disneyland game for NES where you had to get keys from rides like Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Pirates, Haunted Mansion... great game but they used the Electrical Parade soundtrack for it and it just played over and over and I eventually got sick of it.

I think the men are creepy, but kind of in a good way if that makes sense.

If they wanted to change or update it I wouldn't be devastated because I have faith in Disney to come up with something new, as long as its some kind of light parade.

On this magic night,
A million stars will play beside us,
A special spell of light,
Glimmering, shimmering, carousel-ling
'Round the world tonight,
A symphony in SpectroMagic.
Pure enchantment lights our way!

dumbo ears
06-19-2007, 11:34 PM
I think the spectromagic parade is the best parade at WDW. I love it. I could see how little kids could be afraid of those characters but besides them the lights, the music, and the floats r just awesome!

dolphinmickey9170
06-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I like Spectro, but I liked MSEP better. I saw in when it was on loan from California. I miss it. I love the music. But, I will just have to deal with Spectro. My DH likes it, but he doesn't know anything different.

kakn7294
06-19-2007, 11:38 PM
DH and I love SpectroMagic - we make sure to see it every trip. It has special meaning for us since the first time we saw it was for our honeymoon in 1993 when we fell in love with it. I recently burned my own CD of the parade music so we can hear it whenever we want now.

snifflesmcg
06-19-2007, 11:42 PM
I've only seen Specto once and since I was sitting behind a bunch of people, I didn't get a good view. I liked it anyway. I don't know what those monkey characters looked like but I can't wait to see it again (with better seats) in Sept. Although, I WISH they would bring back Main St electrical parade but this is ok.

r4kids
06-20-2007, 06:31 AM
We love Spectromagic. It is our favorite parade! It is so magical when the lights go out and music comes on then you see all of Main Street light up. Just thinking about it now makes me want to go.

SpecJoe Magic
06-20-2007, 07:50 AM
I understand your affection for MSEP because I first saw it as a kid and grew up watching it for many years. That being said, I think that Spectro Magic is comparable in terms of quality. It's definitely different in many ways than MSEP, but it still provides that feel of Disney magic. I had the opportunity to see MSEP again at Disneyland's California Adventure late last year. It was quite a treat, but I don't have a great desire to see it return to WDW. I certainly wouldn't complain if it were to return to WDW, but Spectro Magic is a wonderful parade that has created its own legacy. Some of your love for MSEP is for nostalgic reasons, and there are many people that feel the same way about Spectro Magic. I don't think it's time for a new nighttime parade yet, but I will do my best to keep an open mind and accept a new one on its own merits if and when the time comes.

WDWFan2005
06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
I too grew up with the Main Street Electrical Parade, but quickly fell in love with Spectro Magic because the music is incredible. Am i the only one, or do you all also get chills (the good kind) when the main theme music swells up, then you hear the kids chorus,

"Music surrounds us
Laughter that found us
Twirling around this
Carousal of light...!"

then them music...and goosebumps! love it.

A lot of music in the parks and attractions give goosebumps (like America "Golden Dream" in American Adventure ... but that's for a different topic).

iceicebritney
06-20-2007, 08:34 AM
haha, okay it seems like i stand alone on this one pretty much. i dunno, spectro magic just never one me over...

i do wish the other parks would come up with nite time parks for each.. that would be cool. i guess it would be a kind of difficult concept though - deciding what theme each concept would get.

K8screen
06-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Seems to me that almost everyone loves the parade they saw first. Ours was Spectro, to us that means everything that was magical about our first trip to WDW, and though we saw MSEP a few years later when it came back to MK, it didnt have the same effect.
In fact we all went back to the hotel that night singing the Spectromagic music, because to us that seemed the right way to finish a day at MK. I know for many other people, who grew up with MSEP. it is exactly the opposite.

January-2007
06-20-2007, 09:20 AM
I really like SpectroMagic. I think it's a great parade.

Dyanna
06-20-2007, 09:23 AM
We always make sure to watch SpectroMagic as this is the best parade Disney has to offer in our honest opinion.

Mickey91
06-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I miss the MSEP! I have now bought two videos online of the parade. Plus we have the music on a couple of our CDs. That being said, we enjoy Spectro Magic also. I would trade it in a heartbeat to bring MSEP back though! I was just telling my DH that Spectro had been there as long as MSEP (hard to believe). I wonder if something will replace it soon. Though we have gotten used to them, the Spectromen are eerie. I have read on another thread that they are getting eerier. They are now supposedly face characters. Can you imagine?? Yikes!! Anyway, as long as it is great, I wouldn't mind a change.

JPL
06-20-2007, 10:26 AM
I think it goes with your memories of good times. I like Spectro it has some good memories. But I absolutely love the MSEP since it has some great memories of the times I spent at the park with my grandparents and my father all who are no longer with me. My Grandmother use to watch the parade 2 times everty night we were there. I still remember the excitement of waiting for the parade and finding my grandmother who was saving us spots on Main Street while we went of to get in another ride or 2. Every time I hear the MSEP song I think on my grandmother and watching the parade with her. A few years ago I went DCA to see it and it gave me chills watching and a tear to my eye remembering the special times.

Guya103
06-20-2007, 10:01 PM
We absolutely adore Spectro Magic!! It is not just a parade. The idea of it and presentation along with the magic is something that defines Disney and all of its splendor. We have to see it at least twice each trip. I feel that it is the best that there is and nothing in Disney could top it. I can't fathom the idea of disliking it. What is there to hate- lights, music, Disney characters? I also feel that the parade is a symbol or a marker in Disney history of the classics. Don't fix it if it ain't broken!!!:mickey:

ArtDeco
06-20-2007, 10:06 PM
On a recent Keys to the Kingdom tour I heard from my guide that the CMs refer to those guys as 'Chucky dolls'. As if they weren't creepy enough - now I have to think of that every time I see them.

But overall - Spectromagic is good. Needs an update or something though. Maybe a rotation with MSEP from one of the parks where it still exists.

Polynesian Dweller
06-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I have seen MSEP at DL (before it went to DCA) and at MK. I have also seen Spectromagic several times. First, let me say I think Spectro is very well done and enjoy it but the version of MSEP I saw at DL was amazing. It had more floats than turned up at MK and DCA and was much better than WDW's MSEP. That one I'd prefer. But I'd take Spectro over the other MSEP's.

Did that make sense and was that some sort of record for abbreviations or what? :D

eLPack
06-20-2007, 11:51 PM
I loved MSEP and still do.
I loved Spectro and still do.

Different parades. Different times.. good times!
Can't wait to see whatever one I see next.

2Epcot
06-21-2007, 01:12 AM
I love the Main Street Electrical Parade. SpectroMagic is good, but MSEP is a classic. Of course I watched it when I was young, and I remember being at Disneyland when they decided to end the parade, that was the craziest I've ever seen it there. I never get tired of that parade and wouldn't be dissapointed if SpectroMagic left WDW. I'm glad they brought it over to California Adventure.

AdventurerKim
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I do miss MSEP and love listening to the music on my park CD's, but I do like Spectromagic and the nighttime parades (especially the water pageant on Seven Seas Lagoon). It's so exciting to see the lights and characters and the music; all make for a fun atmosphere. The night parades take me right back to my childhood and feeling like an awestruck kid again.
(from way way back when records were cool)

Records are still cool! I still buy them whenever I see them (a rarity) and would buy vinyl over a CD any day! :thumbsup:

pook@wdw
06-21-2007, 07:03 PM
BRING BACK THE MAIN STREET ELECTRICAL PARADE!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mickeysworld
06-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I loved MSEP and still do.
I loved Spectro and still do.

Different parades. Different times.. good times!
Can't wait to see whatever one I see next.

:ditto:

Alpha Jeanie
06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
I love the Spectromagic Parade and the song from it is one of my favorite Disney Songs.

SBETigg
06-21-2007, 09:03 PM
I love Spectromagic. I loved the Main Street Electrical Parade, too, but times change. The Spectromen are a little creepy, but it's all in fun.

jedigrrrl
06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
I've hated Spectromagic from the moment I saw it (actually BEFORE I saw it) and just got to see The Main Street Electrical Parade in Disneyland last week and cried like an idiot! The last time I saw it was when they brought it back for a year like 10 years ago.
:sigh: I miss it :(

Speedy1998
06-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Love Spectromagic, but I do think it is time for a parade change (or I need to start going to WDW less). I only watched it once this past trip.

CU Tiger
06-21-2007, 09:44 PM
We love it!! :thumbsup: My DDs were never scared of any of the characters in their parade outfits and they started really young. :mickey:

Ian
06-22-2007, 07:42 AM
I love spectromagic, love the "creepy mouse guys", love the music. The best parade I've ever seen actually!:ditto:

Melanie
06-22-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't care for the creepy guys at all, but the rest of the parade rocks. We don't miss it when we are there.

Stu29573
06-22-2007, 09:57 AM
MSEP is better, hands down.
But that's just my opinion. I'm not really a "parade person" but I always made sure I saw MSEP, but after once with Spectro- I don't bother. Still, it frees up rides....:mickey:

Goes4FastPass
06-22-2007, 01:09 PM
I get so bored with people referring to DIsney when they were kids as "old school".

Old school would be when central Florida was swamps and orange groves and the Mickey Mouse Club was in black and white.

I'm glad that while WDW fans seem to want the parks to freeze at their first visit, the imagineers do what Mr. Disney directed, the keep moving forward.

As for SP and MSEP - they're both good and periodically rotated.

I'd rather spend time enjoying my WDW visists than worrying about when they're going to bring back MSEP, take down the SE wand and dig a new lagoon to put the 20K subs back online.

Old School - Yeah, a Magic Kingdom without Splash Mountain... Philharmagic... Wishes...

ArtDeco
08-10-2007, 01:58 AM
I love my old, photo-vinyl 45 of the Main Street Electrical parade, and I really enjoy Spectromagic, even if they can't keep the doggone red demon/volcano float working most of the time.

I'm glad that while WDW fans seem to want the parks to freeze at their first visit, the imagineers do what Mr. Disney directed, the keep moving forward.

Best quote I've seen on Intercot in many, many months, and strongly appreciated in light of the endless noise about the Wand and more. In your one concise sentence, you realize that the world (and The World) has to change and you have to appreciate it. Memories wouldn't be so heartwarming if things hadn't changed since those memories were made.

Thanks for bringing oil to the rusted masses :)

illini
08-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Spectromagic is my favorite attraction at WDW, hands down. Although I have an irrational fear (OK, more of a dislike) of clowns, the Spectromen are my faves, particularly the ones riding on the balls.

A trip isn't complete to me if we don't see Spectro a couple of times.

Jakk
08-10-2007, 05:25 AM
To many people here want Disney World to be a museum! Yeah let's have MSEP for the next 100 years! Because it's a classic! Things change deal with it, I loved the MSEP but things change like th e person above me said we have to keep moving forward, not stay frozen in time! Sheesh...

Fantasmic
08-10-2007, 05:36 AM
The "Chucky" Dolls are kinda freaky:thedolls:

ChipDale2708
08-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I love Spectromagic but it was also the first night parade we saw in WDW. When the MSEP was there a few years ago I really didn't care for it. The music just didn't do it for me. Spectro just made me feel the magic; especially followed by Wishes. That said, when we were there in April, we just didn't enjoy Spectro like we used to. I'm not sure if it was the crowd or being tired of jockeying for position to see it, or just our mood, but we felt we were ready for a new magical parade experience. Guess I'll have to go back and see it again to figure out how I really feel! :cool:

Wrigley
08-10-2007, 12:55 PM
I LOVE the Spectromagic parade. I love the music that they play and I never get tired of seeing the parade. We catch it several times during our trips. It is my favorite parade at Disney!!! :mickey:

disneynarula
08-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I like SpectroMagic but really loved the MSEP.

Mickey07
08-10-2007, 04:44 PM
spectro magic is probably the best parade ive ever seen and wdw should never get rid of it

TINKERBELL_82
08-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I too grew up on the MSEP, and I really miss it.

I guess Spectromagic has grown on me a little, because when I first saw it I hated it. (I'm right there with you on those red-headed clown things- what are those?????)

Now I don't mind it so much, especially because when it's going on the lines are so much shorter at all the rides. :mickey:

pook@wdw
08-10-2007, 06:39 PM
BRING BACK THE MAIN STREET ELECTRICAL PARADE!!!:number1::number1::number1:

IloveDisney71
08-10-2007, 08:39 PM
If I had to choose I would choose to see the MSEP over the Spectro parade every time. I think I would like the Spectro more if they got ride of the weird little clown things with the glowing faces. I just never figured out what they have to do with Disney??? I love the Disney characters/floats in the Spectro parade.

WEDTOPIA
08-12-2007, 08:33 PM
To many people here want Disney World to be a museum! Yeah let's have MSEP for the next 100 years! Because it's a classic! Things change deal with it, I loved the MSEP but things change like th e person above me said we have to keep moving forward, not stay frozen in time! Sheesh...

Yeah ,I'm sure there is nothing in WDW that you would like to keep around for awhile ....

People like quality attractions and Disney is full of them. There's nothing wrong with an attachment with old favorites. Things don't suddenly go bad because they've been around awhile.

This is a WDW fan site. Deal with it.....

:mickey:

princessimagineer
08-12-2007, 09:07 PM
like someone else said, im from the generation that never saw MSEP, only spectromagic.

clowns creep me out. mascots creep me out. come to think of it, those things creep me out too, but ive never thought about it too much considering there confined to there floats and not going to touch and approach me, unlike the bears in fronteirland that followed me that one day until i screamed (i will honestly say i was 14)

i have an early memory of sitting on the curb of main street watching spectromagic and being afraid that those big ball thingys would roll over my feet, so i curled my legs during that part.

uhh im not much of a parade person, but i do have the spectromagic song on my itunes. but like i said, never saw MSEP, so i have nothing to compare it to. but i do love it!

MickeysEars
08-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I prefer the Electrical Light Parade myself and never really thought SpectroMagic was as good as it...