PDA

View Full Version : I Did It!

TikiGoddess
06-19-2007, 09:17 PM
UPDATE ON JULY 12, 2008 --- LOOK AT SECOND PAGE OF MESSAGES

I just have to share this with my Intercot family. Sorry if it's long!

In March I posted a thread about possibly having a mid-life crisis ((this one) (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=98768). I really felt like I needed something to change.

Well, I finally realized that no amount of griping, complaining, moaning, or moping would change my situation. So I started small. For Lent I gave up chocolate and soda. One week I didn't watch TV. One week I actually gave up Intercot (can't say I'll do that again...). It made me feel like I was trying something new to make my life better but it was an attainable goal.

Then in April my student teacher took over all of my teaching duties. I found myself with energy when I came home from work - a new feeling! So I started walking on the treadmill. After a couple weeks of walking I remembered a site that conorsmom2000 recommended -- the couch to 5K program. THANK YOU SO MUCH for that recommendation!!! I am proud to say that since the end of April I have been following the nine week plan. And tonight, drum roll, please...

I RAN THREE MILES!! :joy:

That is, without stopping, without falling over from exhaustion, without cheating or even whining. :D I did it in 38:20, which is true to my 'slow and steady' pace of about 12:30/mi. My goal is to run my first 5K (on 7/14) and finish under 40 min.

Never in my life have I really been an athlete. I've gone to the gym at different times in my life but never really stuck with it for long. So to reach a goal of three miles is HUGE for me. And along the way I learned that maturity does have benefits. I think I was never old enough to stick to an exercise program -- I had no patience, wanted immediate results, and had no specific goals. Now that I'm 34 and have two kids, my perspective has changed. I can see the steps that I need to reach my goal (running or otherwise) and might possibly enjoy the journey to get there. This opens up tons of possibilites, I really feel like I could do anything that I set my mind to.

I'm so glad I can share this with you all. I think I will be smiling for the rest of the week!

TikiG
(Kathy)

mickeys_princess_mom
06-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Congratulations! You SHOULD be proud! You have a great mindset going! :thumbsup:

merlinmagic4
06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
:cheer: Great job, Kathy!! I am VERY impressed and maybe you'll give me the motivation to do it myself. I actually bought a treadmill in February and I think I have been able to get on it about a half dozen times. What is that website you are talking about? Can you PM it to me? Let us know how the 5K goes..........that will be quite an accomplishment :thumbsup: :cheer:

mtown71
06-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Congrats to you! That is so cool!

January-2007
06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
I think it's just great how you really stepped up and did something to improve your life. Tangible goals, that's what it's all about. Thank you so much for sharing your progress with us, good luck at your 5K!

Lacy
06-20-2007, 12:13 AM
That is really great!!! Best of luck and enjoy reaching the rest of your goals!

PirateLover
06-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Congrats! I think you are right about maturity being key. I'm 21 and by no means overweight, but I'm not in shape either. The only thing I can consistently do on an everyday basis is my stretches from when I was in PT. When it comes to cardio I usually go hard for a week or two then I drop off. I just don't have the discipline, but I'm really trying to work on it this summer. I've read that changing other aspects of your life really seems to help get things jump started- it seems to have worked for you.

PS Congrats on having the down time. I just student taught this spring and I know my cooperating teacher was having a blast watching me having to deal with everything ;)

Tinkerfreak
06-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Congrats! You are an inspiration to all of us trying to get motivated. I would also love the web address you got from Connorsmom.
Keep up the good work and pat yourself on the back, you have alot to be proud of.

MissStyles
06-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Congratulations!!!!! That is an amazing accomplishment. ANYONE can train themselves to run if they have the right mindset and I mean ANYONE. I swear the majority of training is mental. I wouldn't be surprised if your time for the 5K is even lower than your goal...because your adrenalin will be pushing you along :) Keep up the great work and let us know how the race goes! :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
06-20-2007, 10:06 AM
CONGRATS!!!!!
YOU should be so proud of YOURSELF:thumbsup:
That is a great accomplishment for you.
I envy your ability to stick with it!

Could you PM me the couch to 5k site as well.
I have the couch part down pat but I would love to get to the 5k part as well!
Keep up the good work... YOU are awesome.

MsMin
06-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Congrats on reaching your goals and keep up the great work for your spirit and your health:thumbsup: As they say, with crisis comes change! Congrats again for the follow through and getting the job done...Keep it up!

RedSoxFan
06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Congrats on accomplishing your goal and good luck with the 5K. You should be proud.:thumbsup:

Momof2boys
06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
That is FANTASTIC Kathy ! Way to go !

kaerbear178
06-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Congratulations! It's not easy to get that far and I'm happy that you did it. Good luck on your 5K! :woohoo:

disneydeb
06-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Way to go!:thumbsup:

Lizzie
06-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Congratulations!:thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
06-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Congratulations:thumbsup:
You've inspired me to try again:mickey:

TikiGoddess
07-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, today was my first race. I ran the Space Race in Granby, CT in 33:26! My best time ever by far. There is another 5K in August so I'll keep training for that to see if I can match that time.

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. It's nice to know you have people rooting for you!

TikiG

merlinmagic4
07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Wow!!!!!! Great job!! Congratulations and keep it up. I am VERY impressed and I think I might have to try it myself :thumbsup:

SBETigg
07-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Fantastic! It must feel great. Good for you, and big congratulations!

PirateLover
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Congratulations, TikiG! As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am becoming a teacher myself and during my student teaching I could see how some of the veteran teachers start to get frustrated and burned out. Teaching really takes its toll on you and I know just from student teaching that I am going to need to find something else on the side that will keep me sane and bring my joy so that I can keep giving my all to my students and take care of myself at the same time. Again I say congratulations, and continued good luck with your races! :number1:

marlyn
07-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Kathy...that is awesome!! I remember your "life crisis" post and I am so proud of you for making a change and doing something for you. Sometimes when we get into a rut in our lives, it seems impossible to get out. YOU did it, and how thrilling for you!

I have no doubt at all that you will attain your 5miles in under 40 min goal! You go girl! :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Congratulations!!
I just read your post... How did your first official 5k race go? Let us know please.
I know how hard it is to stay motivated, with work and a family it's not easy to keep a workout schedule, at least it's difficult for me!
Stay motivated!:number1:

StitchLuvr
07-14-2007, 08:12 PM
:thumbsup: Way to go!! :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
07-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Kathy, congrats on completing the Couch-to-5K program and running your first race! Awesome! :thumbsup:

At your next race, remember your squad of Icot cheerleaders cheering you on! :cheer:

disneydeb
07-14-2007, 09:14 PM
WOW! Congratulations! Wish I could do that.:thumbsup:

Lorraine444
07-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Good for you!!!!!:congrats:
Only you could have pushed yourself to do it, and YOU DID!!!!!
What a great feeling you must have!
Hmmm.... Maybe I will set my mind to strive for something, it appears it really does do wonders when you reach your goal....

princessjojo
07-15-2007, 04:26 PM
:high5: Hey congratulations on the 5K :cheer:

I've been thinking the same thing for myself for a few months now, so my next step is to get up and just do it. If I can get myself to start, I want to run the Susan G. Komen Race in Raleigh, then the 5K (I think) in Myrtle Beach in Feb. My last accomplishment will be to run the Disney Marathon :walk: at least once to say I did it. By then, it should be such a regular habit, it will be second nature for me.

It takes a lot of motivation to do something that different from routine and to do that makes you a very strong person. You should be very proud of yourself.

I would love to know the website you referenced in your original post.

Again CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

TikiGoddess
07-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, folks. They really mean a lot to me!!!

For those of you interested in a great running program for beginners, Google 'couch to 5k' and it should come up. If not, try 'cool running' and check out their training programs.

Hey, if we get enough people interested, we could start an Intercot running club! I too dream of running the Disney (Half) Marathon sometime in the not so distant future. 2010 perhaps...

TikiG

Donalds Duckie
07-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Congratulations to you! Definitely keep up your good work! Congrats on the 5k as well:thumbsup:

Keep us posted of your progress! We are rooting for you!

TikiGoddess
07-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi all,

Well, it's been a year or so since I first ran 3 miles. I've been pretty good about running 3 times a week -- sometimes life interferes and I'm only able to run 2 times, but other weeks I do 4, so it evens out.

Since my first 5K in July last year, I ran two other 5Ks... one of them in the town where I teach. I had wanted to run that one for years... had even made it my New Year's Resolution for a couple years. Finally, last year, I did it. I was so happy to be able to do it and be a good role model for my students.

Well, this morning I went back to the beginning. I ran the Space Race at Bradley Airport -- the same race I did last year. Last's year's official time was 33:31.

This year, I was coming up towards the finish line and saw "29:40", and booked it as fast as I could. The clock turned to 30:00 just as I finished. Whew!

More than my time improving, I am more proud of the fact that it's a year later and I'm still running. I'm doing harder stuff -- running the hills around my house -- running longer distances -- and really pushing myself. I never felt like I could keep an exercise program going, and yes, there are plenty of nights where I don't want to run, but I get myself out there. And if I miss a night, I don't berate myself. Sometimes life is more important, and running will be there my whole life.

Thanks for all the support... and hopefully we'll have a bunch of I'cot folk running the Disney half marathon someday!

Kathy

pink
07-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Congradulations and keep up the good work. :thumbsup: I hope you make it to the Disney marathon.

jonahbear2006
07-12-2008, 10:02 AM
:thumbsup:Congratulations! That is a big deal!!! I know this because I get to these points too but I only run 2 miles. I don't push myself any harder, I have asthma and get pleurisy if I work too hard, but after each child I have lost the 30lbs I gain during pregnancy so effortlessly. It takes a good year and a half to bounce back and when I get there I lift weights and run and there comes a point in time where I am in better shape that I was in high school. I am almost there for the 4th time in my life. Starting over so much seems so pointless some days and sometimes my pepsi addiction gets the best of me but I still hang in there. It's much slower this time than any other, I get discouraged a lot. I am 10lbs over weight and the baby is almost 2. I need to get that off before his birthday for my own peace. I see your excitement.. Be proud of yourself!

SBETigg
07-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Kathy, congratulations on your progress. That's really great, and very inspiring.

pianobabe
07-12-2008, 04:02 PM
That is WONDERFUL!! Way to stick with it. :number1: