PDA

View Full Version : Nassau/Castaway Cay Excursions??

GreenBeetle
06-19-2007, 06:57 PM
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the excursions offered in Nassau and on Castaway Cay. It's time for us to make some decisions. I've read the reviews in the Passporter's Field Guide, but always welcome comments from Intercot friends.

I'm actually thinking there is enough to do on Castaway Cay without all the extra excursions. Also, considering a walk to the Pirates of Nassau Museum - any thoughts on that one?

Thanks. :cool:

RobWreck
06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
My first/only experience with Nassau came on our 4 day cruise on the Wonder this past October, and after taking advantage of some of the listed excursions, I have to say that the best thing we did there was Pirates of Nassau museum. Being a pirate fan helps, but they did an excellent job with the various exhibits, walking through a pirate town, a pirate ship, trying to catch the feel of a pirate attack... it was really alot of fun. We also did the Adastra Gardens City tour. It makes you realize that Nassau is 4 square blocks of tourist town laid over a 3rd world country. At each of the 'famous' stops, the bus driver would pull over and let you out to explore. You were met at the entrance by someone claiming to be a tour guide, but after giving his speil about the location, he explains that he's just a volunteer looking for a handout. Even moreso at the Queen's staircase...walking down those slippery stone steps leaves you in a bit of a compromised position. Adastra Gradens itself is mostly a zoo of sorts... with the kind of cages and exhibits that zoos in the US have moved away from. The marching flamingos were fun, but not worth going on the whole tour to see. As for Atlantis, the other big draw at Nassau, the aquarium was very well done and gave some great views of alot of really great fish. It was a little bit on the short side, considering the cost, but what you did see was very well done. I believe that it's included for free with a room rental, so then it would definitely be great. Overall, if I was to go to Nassau again, I'd only do the Pirates of Nassau museum and spend the rest of the day doing all the stuff on the ship.
Castaway Cay, on the other hand, is (as you'd expect) a beautiful paradise. The excursion I enjoyed the most was feeding the stingrays. It was definitely a unique experience and there's something indescribable about having these animals just circling you, being able to pet them as they glide by. Not sure if there's an age restriction (I could see a small child easily being knocked over by a ray). My wife enjoyed the snorkeling (I had mask issues and swallowed too much water to enjoy anything)... they took us out on a boat to a reef. I heard that it was beautiful...
Hope that helps,
Rob

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
We actually got a fantastic rate at Atlantis and got full use of the whole hotel. It was cheaper to do it this way than to pay for the Disney excursion. And that way we were able to shower at the hotel before we caught a cab back to the ship. We didn't get to sleep in the room but that was fine.
We ate lunch by the pool snack bar and the price wasn't too bad.
As for Castaway Cay, there was plenty to do without purchasing any excursions there either.
PM me and I can let you know what site to sign up for the email to watch for the cheap rate to Atlantis. They offer it periodically.

TammiMcMan
06-28-2007, 10:18 PM
This is a really tough question and the answer is purely personal. Booking a day room at the Atlantis is a fun idea and they have awesome pool facilities. If you've never been to Nassau, it's good to get off the ship in the morning after breakfast and at least take a walk around. For some people, it can be very intimidating though. Locals make a lot of their income from tourists, so you will be constantly approached about tours, hair braids and other things. If you do decide to get off the ship, check the dining schedule. DH and I were delayed a bit coming back from the Atlantis and our lunch options on board were counter service and room service.

For Castaway Cay, if you like adventure and exploring, then I highly recommend the Nature Adventure and the Eco Excursion. I don't know about the Stingray's, but that sounds like fun as well. If nothing else, definitely rent the snorkle equipment and hit that area before lunch. That's when the water is the most clear. As the day goes on, it gets pretty murky.