PDA

View Full Version : "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" outdated?

last real pirate
06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Does anyone else think that "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" is alittle outdated? What would you like to see made into a 3-D attraction?

dolphinmickey9170
06-19-2007, 04:56 PM
The first time we went, my kids said, "who are these people? We'ver never heard of them." So something new would be good. Just not sure what it could be....something funny that would leave me in stitches. Why not Lilo and Stitch. This way they can get rid of Stitch's Escape and put the Alien back there. Or maybe even a new timekeeper show in 3-D. I sure do miss 9-eye.

Jared
06-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Does anyone else think that "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" is alittle outdated? What would you like to see made into a 3-D attraction?
I agree Honey, I Shrunk the Audience has run its course. It's time to cut the silly Imagination Institute theme of the pavilion and revert back to what made the original Journey Into Imagination one of Epcot's best attractions.

Marker
06-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Although I've seen it many times, I still find the show quite enjoyable. However, I can definitely see that a lot of folks would no longer have a clue who the characters are. And without the reference of the movie, the humor of the show would not work as well.

So, ideas for a replacement. I do kind of like the idea of using Timekeeper and 9-eye, but to follow up on the theme of returning to the theme of Journey Into Imagination, how about something starring Figment and his long lost friend Dreamfinder. Stick with 3-D, or maybe something that's "multi-dimensional"... you know, live action, special effects, animatronics, AND 3-D.... kinda like "Terminator 2: 3-D" at Universal, but BETTER!!!!!, and not so much an "action" show, but an "Imagination" show.

LoriMistress
06-19-2007, 06:28 PM
The show should have been closed back in 1996. Even the CM that work there has no joy in their job.

DizneyFreak2002
06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
A little outdated? Try way way outdated.... I was just in WDW at the end of May, and I cannot believe how outdated HI STA is... Time for a new film there Disney.....

WDWfanatic742
06-19-2007, 06:50 PM
It's really outdated compared to Mickey's PhilharMagic anyway. I honestly can hardly remember much about just one of the movies, not even all of them.

mainemajor
06-19-2007, 08:57 PM
you think?! Thats why I like Bug @ AK So much better. Of course HISTA is better than the origonal Michael Jackson show.:confused:

johnO
06-19-2007, 09:22 PM
This was touched on in another thread here recently. Although I like the show and enjoyed the original movie, I can definetly see how many kids just won't get it because they don't know the movie. Disney's live action movies don't stand up to time like the animated movies.

Besides that, it looks soo old. When we watched it last February it looked aweful.
I'm not sure what to replace it with. I don't think more Figment is the answer and I'm not sure that a 3-D show is required.

ccchild
06-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I agree that the film's horribly outdated, but I think that has more to do with the effects and general shopworn quality of the attraction. If it was a great attraction, we wouldn't care that some kids don't recognize the characters--no one recognizes Figment, and that (used to be) a great ride.

ASweetLov
06-19-2007, 10:49 PM
I guess I am the only one that really likes the show :mickey:

EvilQueen2006
06-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I agree with making a 3D show starring Figment. Figment used to be such a defining Epcot character. Let's bring him back to his glory!

Marker
06-19-2007, 10:57 PM
It's really outdated compared to Mickey's PhilharMagic anyway.

Well, duh!!! I there would have been quite an uproar if Mickey's PhilharMagic had be done with the same technology as HISTA. Of course it's outdated in comparison to a bread new one.

You know, as many as are insisting that it's awful, and shold have been replace years ago.... there are just as many would pitch a fit if it were closed. And just as it seems old and dated to those who have seen it 2 or 3 dozen times over the years..... it's still an enjoyable show to someone seeing it for the first time. I doubt there are ANY attractions that still hold their magic after years of repeat appearances. You can just NEVER relive that first time.

I agree that this is an attraction whose technology has been surpassed, and whose movie reference has faded from our collective radar. But I'm not ready to cast it asside as a "bad" attraction. I still visit it whenever I have the opportunity, and I never fail to enjoy it.

Polynesian Dweller
06-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I agree with Marker that its not at the ready to cast aside stage yet. What's more of an issue for me is the pre-show. Its not that interesting and you wait what feels too long shuffling 'as far front and left as possible'. Make the pre-show more interesting and the whole show is more interesting.

That was the problem with Timekeeper. Terrible pre-show hurt the audience's perception of the main show.

DSNYMOM4JJ
06-20-2007, 12:07 AM
I too think HISTA is way outdated, but I also have no idea who timekeeper is or 9 eye...sorry my first trip to WDW was in 2002..I know...I know...I lived under a rock...lol. Anyway I think that a Meet the Robinsons attration where a creation gets loose from the lab and causes 3-D havic would be awesome or maybe even a Ratatootie(sp) attraction that would have smells and 3-D kitchen antics would be cute...sorta like a mix between Bug and Philharmagic...JMHO...but I hope it gets an upgrade soon:mickey:

GrumpyFan
06-20-2007, 01:16 AM
It's a great attraction, but it is way outdated. However, I'm not sure what should replace it. I kinda like the idea of doing something with Figment, but I'm almost afraid of what they might do to him and it might be worse.

r4kids
06-20-2007, 06:37 AM
I too think HISTA is way outdated, but I also have no idea who timekeeper is or 9 eye...sorry my first trip to WDW was in 2002..I know...I know...I lived under a rock...lol. Anyway I think that a Meet the Robinsons attration where a creation gets loose from the lab and causes 3-D havic would be awesome or maybe even a Ratatootie(sp) attraction that would have smells and 3-D kitchen antics would be cute...sorta like a mix between Bug and Philharmagic...JMHO...but I hope it gets an upgrade soon:mickey:

I like both of your suggestions. We always skip this show, it's boring!

SpecJoe Magic
06-20-2007, 07:22 AM
It definitely needs to be replaced, and I don't think a 3-D show is necessary. WDW would still have three of them without one at Epcot, and I don't see why Epcot has to have one. There is no rule that says that an outdated 3-D show should be replaced by a 3-D show. I would rather see a complete overhaul of the entire Imagination Pavilion. I believe that one major, high quality attraction is more beneficial for the park than two mediocre attractions. These days I rarely even go near the Imagination Pavilion.

TexasPrincessAurora
06-20-2007, 07:58 AM
There has always been a 3D show there so it would be ashame to not have one of some sort. I think the theater and show itself has just become worn and in need of attention. I don't necessarily think you have to know who the characters are to enjoy the show...but if they are going to update it at this point they are probably going to change it altogether. The whole pavillion needs a facelift to bring it back to what it used to be...something people actually waited in lines for!

FamilyBand1
06-20-2007, 09:52 PM
I still have my Captain EO hat!:thumbsup:

They seem to be on an updating/replacement kick lately. I'm sure they are planning something new...I hope.

2Epcot
06-21-2007, 01:23 AM
I agree with making a 3D show starring Figment. Figment used to be such a defining Epcot character. Let's bring him back to his glory!

I think that would be a great choice for a new 3D / 4D attraction. Honey I Shrunk the Audience has run its course. Jack Sparrow was added to Pirates to bring it up-to-date. Kids don't even know the characters in this attraction now.

RAIDER
06-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Yep i think it has become outdated now but if were to be replaced i want to see another 3d show in its place such as POC or Incredibles themed :mickey::thumbsup:

darthmacho
06-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Yes, it's outdated, and it's questionable whether it was that funny to begin with.

drosenbe
06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Why use a 'movie' as a theme for a new 3D attraction. Why not use 'imagination' to think up an entirely original one. I wouldn't mind one based on Figment and Dreamfinder.

I originally thought that the idea behind the Imagination Institute was a great joining of the HIS films and the pavilion. Unfortunately, the imagineers (probably because of lack of $$) really screwed up the ride. I loved the HISTA attraction, but agree that it needs to be replaced. That's the problem when you base an attraction on a movie (as opposed the something like the Haunted Mansion, which is still great, 30 years later)
I'm rambling, but to get back to my original thought....the imagineers should not base the new attraction on a movie.

johnO
06-21-2007, 12:37 PM
I agree that this is an attraction whose technology has been surpassed, and whose movie reference has faded from our collective radar. But I'm not ready to cast it asside as a "bad" attraction. I still visit it whenever I have the opportunity, and I never fail to enjoy it.

I'm not sure many people at all would consider it BAD. I don't consider it bad, But to quote another on this thread; HISTA has "Run it's course".

emmingo
06-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I think I agree that its not that the show itself is bad, its just that Honey I Shrunk the Kids came out more than a decade ago! Its a little like the HISTK playset in DS--a lot of kids have NO idea what the origin of either ride is, nor have they seen the movies. I think most of them have never seen Rick Moranis in their life (unless they're like me and grew up with the CBC).

Maybe a Meet the Robinsons thing? That movie references the parks quite a bit...there might be a cool time travel thing that could come out of it. I never saw the original JIYI, so I can't comment on how the rides original theme should fit in, but it seems like that little area could have so much more...