PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else?

Hayden's Dad
06-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Anybody else out there try to explain your (well lets be honest) obsession with Disney to your co-workers or family, and they just look at you like you have completely lost your mind.:eek2:

This happens quite often at work for me and i keep myself fairly well reserved.

MMouse6937
06-19-2007, 04:23 PM
That is hysterical because I had that happen just the other day. I was chatting with a patient about vacation and I told her we go to WDW every year and she asked why I like to go there so much and I was like uh....well.....um.... and just ended up looking like a dork, she didn't understand and probably thought I was a nutcase. I was also trying to explain it to a girl I was taking a CPR class with. I was explaining our trip and her first question was how many kids we had, when I said none, then it was like something weird crawled over my head. I told my DH that she went home from that class and told her husband that she just met the weirdest person in the world. I can only imagine :blush:

Frog
06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Kinda makes you feel "Goofy" sometimes, doesn't it???

Hayden's Dad
06-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Actually this makes me feel much better that I am not the only one out there.:mickey::mickey:

Belle--86
06-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I know what you mean--- I could rant on disney all day.We go every year and people don't understand why. So you our not alone.:mickey:

snifflesmcg
06-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Actually, my friend Dawn was the obsessed one that had to explain it to me. While I had been there, there are so many other things to see in life. LOL. I do love Disney, my third year in a row actually. I'm just generally obsessed with traveling. I swear next year is a cruise.

disneycouple2004
06-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I can relate to that...however..i have converted several of my co-workers over the years...one just returned from his 1st trip !!
Now the odds are turning..i just need to convert about 2 more :D

princessimagineer
06-19-2007, 05:43 PM
omg you dont know how many times that has happend to me! with one of my friends in particular..... her brothers friend is taking him to Disney (i believe next week) and so i asked her where they were staying. she said she didnt know but it was the place they stay in every year. i said how that bugs me since i like to try something new every year and my friends mom inturrupted me and said "try something new? why not just go someplace else?"

its soo hard to explain to people these things. sometimes i wish i could take them all and show them how great it is through my eyes. of course seperate trips for everone ive tried to explain it too... this way i get more out of the deal :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
I can relate to that...however..i have converted several of my co-workers over the years...one just returned from his 1st trip !!
Now the odds are turning..i just need to convert about 2 more :D

I can relate to you! I'm never content to just convince them that I'M not crazy--I have to try to convert them, too! :high5:

Raye3201
06-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Oh, how I can relate. When people found out that I am on vacation in 3 weeks they all asked where I was going. When I said DisneyWorld they were like "AGAIN?!!!!" I try to explain how much we love it but most have never been and just don't get it.
One of the replies I got yesterday was that they were not going to go there until their kids could remember the trip...all I could think about was how sad it'd be if we didn't have all our wonderful family memories from our Disney Trips.:mickey:

January-2007
06-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't talk about Disney at work because quite frankly I don't care what my co workers have to say about it. Can you tell I don't like my job?

DH told me that he was talking to a co worker about our trip before we left and the co worker told him how his family went once and how much it cost them. We've gone 3 times on what they spent for one trip!

My family likes Disney a lot, I like it the most though. I'm the guru of the family. DH's side of the family... they haven't gone since DH was around 2 years old! All his siblings have so many kids I don't think they could afford it!

By the way, my dad got to go to Disneyland the year it was opened, so this love started a long time before I was even born! I'm just playing the cards I was delt! :D

Dsnygirl
06-21-2007, 09:47 AM
:mickey: You are SO not alone out there!! It happens to me all the time at work, although by now, most of my co-workers are used to it, and there are actually quite a few of us who are Disney nuts (in the best way possible, of course!! ;)) so when you get us all going, look out!!

I had to laugh the other day, though... I got together with a friend who teases me about how I talk about Disney. Well, I had on a Mickey sweat jacket and my Mickey necklace w/ a castle charm on it... my Mickey watch... I had to make a date with her, so out came my planner with a Mickey icon on it... then I had to drive her over to her car... she climbs in my car to see Mickey on my console and a small Mickey icon on my steering wheel (a little black one, very unobtrusive but covers up the Honda symbol and a scratch...) and to top it all off - "Wishes" was in the CD player. It totally amazed her - and she said, "No wonder you talk about Disney all the time - you LIVE Disney!" I just smiled and said, "Yeah... it's a great way to go through life...."
So - to all of us out there who are like this - :thumbsup: I wouldn't be any other way!!

Belle619
06-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Oh yes, people think I am crazy. My sister and I go every year and we don't have any children - so that really makes people think we are nuts - but we always have the best time! I love to travel to different places, but I always have to know when our next trip to Disney is going to be. :mickey:

Mousefever
06-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I was on the phone at the office to get tickets to MNSSHP a few weeks back. When my co-workers found out why I was on the phone, the whole office erupted in good-natured laughter. Luckily I was on hold at the time!

:dory:

T-Belle
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
This is why Intercot is like home to me...so many people who feel the same way that I do.
When people ask me why I'm going to WDW again??? I ask them if they go to the beach only once???? Or a cruise only once??? of course not!!!

I was explaining our trip and her first question was how many kids we had, when I said none, then it was like something weird crawled over my head.

Last year my DD and I were planning our first trip alone together, just she and I, when someone in the office over heard her talking about our vacation. The woman asked my DD where she and I were going, she told her, "Disneyworld" the woman replied " I didn't know you had children" My DD doesn't have children!! But I guess there are those out there that believe that WDW is only for children. Silly,:rolleyes: silly people

jedi jen
06-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for this post. It is so nice to know others with a similar passion are out there. I try to keep it to myself when I can, but my love of WDW just seems to come out. It is also nice to have Intercot to share our passion!:)

meldan98
06-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Most of the time I try to stay in the closet about my love of disney because everybody really laughs at me. Especially when they hear how much my life has been impacted by disney.

For example, my parents took me to DL when I was 3 to cheer me up after my GM and and puppy passed away, my husband proposed at DL on the 44th anniversary of DL, our dj suprised us when we got married and played the Mickey Mouse March when walked in to our reception, the trip to DL we had to take to buy the blown glass Mickey and Minnie cake top for our wedding, the DW honeymoon, and then the weirdest one of all my dd being born 8 days late after 31 hours of labor on Walt's birthday (which everyone thinks was planned by the way). Trust me, I would have loved to have had her a week earlier!

I was asked by a business associate about why I loved Disney so much in front of a room full of people, and I acutally said, it's not something I like talking about, because most people think I'm a freak.

I just love the fact that you can go to DL/WDW and be engulfed by the magic and forget about the world around you. I love being surrounded by the magic and wonder that Walt Disney created and truely enjoy being able to see the magic and wonder in my DD's eyes. It gets me choaked up just thinking about it.

mjm12000
06-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Try being a single male who's obsessed, now people really think I am weird especially as I am so normal in ever other way and on top of it I am not a big fan of children... So imagine the response I get every year when someone says so where are you going this year.. .and I say to either Disneyland or WaltDisney world resort.

People are always asking me why I go, why I take months to plan, why I talk about it so much when I don't have or like children and I am single and go often times alone on my trips.

Well here is what I tell them, where else in the world can you go and be completely away from the real world, no stress. Where can you wake up and eat a waffle shaped like Mickey, walk by a Castle, take a flight into space, lay by the beach, go for a spin in a speed boat, go snorkeling in the world largest Aquarium, watch the biggest and best fireworks shows and then go to sleep in a world class hotel and do all of that in just one day.. and then repeat that for a week or more? And all this for less than $5000 Canadian... let me tell you where Disney!

As for why I plan for months each time.. well how else do people think you can fit so much into a week or two and still have time to relax, you have to plan so you know where you are going, when you are going and what best way to do it all so you can fit it all in. For me I like surprises as much as the next guy, but I prefer those surprises to be things like noticing something new or meeting a character as I walk through a park.. I don't want surprises like finding out something is closed for refurb, or that the hotel I picked is so big it takes a day to walk from point A to point B...these are the things you plan for so you can relax and enjoy everything with a sense of familiarity.

To all the people who don't understand that I say one thing, in this great big world of rushing to and fro day to day, with all the bad news and heartache why wouldn't you want to escape to a world of wonder where the only thing you need to worry about is what adventure you want to explore each day!

Mickey91
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I think everone has resolved to the fact that I am a Disney Nut. My DH is the one planning his coworkers vacations. DS is the one who is having a hard time. His Boy Scout troop thinks he is a baby for enjoying Disney. They just don't understand and most have never been. I just hope that eventually he will keep from letting them taint his view of his favorite place.

DawsonAR
06-26-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm lucky. I have another Disney "NUT" in my office. Everyone else looks at both of us like we are strange, but really they are the ones that are strange. We are all the "normal" ones. Right????? :thumbsup:

DisneyDreams09
06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I COMPLETELY relate,
As you can see and most of you know I have only been to WDW once, but my small taste was enough to get me hooked for life.
I can't go again til 09 :( but I have already started planning and comparing resorts,
I am starting college and I am taking my family the fall after I graduate as a celebration, so something to keep me motivated,
everybody i was with , (my DH, my DS, my DB and my DM) was their first time too and they are just as excited about going back.

To people who haven't experianced parenthood, no amount of explaining can relate them to what its like,
To people who haven;t see their childs eyes light up when they meet buzz for the first time while yours tear up a little, you can't explain the emotion,
To those who havent experianced becoming a child again, you can't make them feel it,
Its something that they must do in order to understand, and once they go they will know exactly who to talk to! :thumbsup::mickey:

pook@wdw
06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Look! I am 40....uh, something years old, and by golly, I don't have to explain anything to anybody!!
:humph: That being said, I think all our friends and relatives think we're obsessed w/Disney. And if being obsessed w/Disney is wrong...I don't wanna be right!::D. I can't explain it! There is just something about WDW that keeps us wanting to go all the time. We've been so much, that my DH has become something of a local "Disney Guide" around here. He is "the man" when it comes to getting around properly @ WDW. He's great @ getting us "special" things. In shows, Family Of The Day, etc... And if not for him, getting us moving in the AM, we would probably waste alot of time waiting on "prime" attractions. So, kudos to DH, and to all our fellow Disney luvers out there, come on...say it w/me!! "My name is Pook, and I am a Disney addict!!!:thumbsup:

psychotekkie
06-29-2007, 10:49 PM
I can relate to both sides of the argument. About 5 years ago, we decided to take my then DD4 to Disney. And all the way there we figured it would be "nice for HER". We were going for the sake of our daughter. See... I hadn't been to WDW since I was a little girl myself. And though I remembered loving Disney, I figured it was because I had been a child when I went.

WELL!!!! Let me tell you, my husband and I were both blown away! Nothing, I mean nothing, could ever have prepared us for what we experienced. We came away laughing at the irony of the whole thing because, although my daughter had a blast, we truly believe we enjoyed it more than she did.

Then for lack of finances we couldn't go for a couple years, but last summer we went back with DD7 and DS2, and that time I was armed with Intercot's wealth of knowledge. Amazing trip!

Then this year we were planning a vacation to Nova Scotia, and we were kindof blasé about the whole thing, not really excited or anything (DH's family is from out there, so free lodging). And one day I started suggesting we might go to Disney instead, and BAM! There was no stopping the momentum, the whole vacation plan turned into a Disney vacation. And my DH commented a few times exactly what I was feeling: we couldn't even get excited before but now that it will be Disney, we are so happy and looking forward to it.

K.... I'll stop rambling now.

little disney lovers
06-30-2007, 07:32 AM
I'm from Australia, so not alot of people have actually been to DL or WDW. So I'm classed as a super freak, and I'm not half as bad as some of you! LOL! I don't have Mickey stuff everywhere, Although I do wear Mickey PJ's and Mickey sweats, And I suppose my kids have every disney toy known to man. And I sometimes wear my prized gold Minnie necklace with pride! OK, I am as bad as you guys! LOL!
We've been to DL twice and we're going to WDW for the first time next year. I simply can't wait, It's all I talk about. People say WHY?
I just say "It really IS the Happiest Place on Earth, You just won't get it until you go!".
:mickey:

thejens
07-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I remember when my sister and her husband went to WDW more than once together without kids I couldn't really understand why they kept going to amusement parks. They tried to explain, but I couldn't get it. I think the problem is it is hard to understand that WDW is not just a theme park. Finally, after I had children, I made it to the World for them. Now, I am the most excited and even anticipate what it might be like without kids one day (no more Dumbo, more dinners at Cali Grill, etc.) I used to think I wasn't as bad as those crazy intercottees, but I am wearing a Disney Polo as I type this so I think I've gone over the edge now....:mickey:

kaerbear178
07-02-2007, 11:15 PM
When I told my co-worker that I am going to WDW on my honeymoon she said "NO! I won't let you!" Only after I told her that we got engaged there did she let it go.

Magic Smiles
07-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Well here is what I tell them, where else in the world can you go and be completely away from the real world, no stress.

This is so true.
I just love this thread. I only wish that I knew some one else who loves WDW as much as I do. My co-workers and friends don't understand why there is not really any other place that my family (DH, DS and myself) want to visit. My Brother lives in Mexico and we have not even visited him. Our friends travel to a different place every trip..........but where do we go........WDW! With every visit I want to go again and don't want have to wait as long in between visits. Is this what you would call an "addiction"? Even my DSs friends are starting to find it weird that we always vacation in WDW. The people here don't just understand.
Our family has a rule - as my DH and I work in the same office - there is no talk about work from the moment we leave the house for our trip to WDW until we return home. This is probably our best rule ever!
Can't wait until our next trip - 150 days, but then whose counting.
Thanks for starting this thread, as I don't feel as alone anymore.

Queen Stephanie
07-07-2007, 09:39 PM
OMG! I am soooo glad we are talking about this. I thought I was the only one who had experienced this problem. Well, I recently accepted that we are A SECRET SOCIETY! We understand each other, that is why we have all found intercot!:rocks:

Bringonthemouse!
07-08-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm through explaining the obsession. Now, when I notice somebody checking out my Mickey watch, earrings, ring, necklace etc. I just make an announcement that goes something like:
"Oh, and by the way, I am completely obsessed with WDW and anything Disney related!"
That usually keeps them from poking fun at me! :mickey:

kaliepooh
07-08-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm a Disney nut and everyone in my office know this. Guess who they come to when they are thinking about taking a trip to Disney or when they know someone who is? ME! Disney frees my mind and makes me happy. Life is just too short we've got to live a little.:cloud9:

BelleKP
07-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm a Disney nut and everyone in my office know this. Guess who they come to when they are thinking about taking a trip to Disney or when they know someone who is? ME! Disney frees my mind and makes me happy. Life is just too short we've got to live a little.:cloud9:

Exactly!! They think you're crazy until they realize the wealth of knowledge you posess.
I of course totally understand how you all feel . . . I just read some of your posts aloud to my DH and he said "wow, these people really are your kin . . . they must be drinking from the same Disney cup as you!" :D:mickey:

TennesseeTink
07-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I recently had the husband of one of DHs coworkers, upon hearing that we are going yet again to WDW this year, laugh at me and say "Get a life". These are the same people who take their vacations at home. They never go anywhere! :confused:

I am in the process of converting my sister. She hasn't been to WDW in 32 years!! I'm taking her next April for her birthday. I'm almost more excited about that trip than the one in October with DH and DDs because it's like going with someone who's never been and seeing it through their eyes. I get to show her all around. I can't wait!!!!I bought her The Complete Walt Disney World book by Julie Neal with all of its gorgeous photos. I taped Walt Disney World Resorts off of the Travel Channel and mailed it to her. She recently bought "Disney" shoes and already has a "Disney" fund going for souvenirs. It makes ME excited to know she's excited. I'm hoping that she'll fall in love with it and we'll get to do annual or bi-annual trips together. *SIGH* :cloud9:

PinKy
07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
LOL!! Yeah........

We've stopped trying to explain it to people. We do get a lot of "slack" about it from our parents: "Why do you go to the same place every year?? Why don't you try somewhere new?" Well, the main reason is that we have never had a bad Disney vacation. Ever. But hey, its not their vacation! We love Disney - everything Disney.... so for us its just really fun to talk about and enjoy.

*shrugs* Let 'em think what they think..... more Disney for me is what I always say!

bleukarma
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
My boss told me I’m not allowed to go to WDW any more! A few months ago I was telling him that I wanted to go to the beach for the weekend and he was bringing up specific beaches around FL and asking me if I’ve been to them. Most of the answers were “no”. He asked “how have you lived in FL most of your life and not seen these beaches?!” I said “usually I go to Disney World!” He said “no more! I don’t want to hear about you going to Disney World any more!” hehe :mickey: Of course he hasn’t been to WDW himself in more then 10 years, and he lives an hour and a half away! It just doesn’t appeal to him, he says. What’s funny is I think he would be the kind of guy that would love it, at least the “finer” aspects of WDW.

Of course I just got back from my weeks vacation to WDW!

Mostly I keep quit about my obsession because of the backlash I get. If I start talking about a trip I’ll usually get “you’re always going to Disney World!” But I did find one other girl in the office that is more obsessed then I am. After our initial conversation about Disney I walked over to her to hand her a file and she yells “do you know how good it feels to know that there is someone else in the office that knows what Boma is!” :mickey::mickey:

LizLovesDiz
07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I have actually experienced people who get downright disgusted that I love Disney so much!I find it so funny that people even care about my (our) passion.They just don't get it and I am sooo happy that I am not one of them ! :cloud9::mickey:

ImagiAsh
07-11-2007, 10:35 AM
"Why do you like Disney so much?" Yup! That about ranks in among the top most frequently asked questions for me. I'm always happy to answer, although most people intend it to be a rhetorical thing. :shake:

This story doesn't deal with me directly, but it is funny none-the-less. I was at a dinner event a few weeks ago. Nothing fancy. Just a very casual dinner among friends at a local restaurant. I ran into a very friendly couple, whom I had not met before. I started talking to them after the man said "Love that Pirates shirt you're wearing! Great movie and ride!" Well, being the Disney nut that I am, I immediately swept into a conversation with them. They were both in their early 30s...both appearing to be tough bikers. (I can say this since my mom is manager of a local Harley Davidson dealership). The man had tattoos up and down his arms and neck, although I couldn't see much because of his sleeves. We talked about Disney for, what felt like, a half an hour. He ended up confessing how much they love Disney. Even though they don't have kids, they travel there as often as they can. When they aren't traveling, they are planning and watching the Disney movies. He even rolled up his sleeves to reveal that all of his tattoos were of Disney characters or Disney rides. :laughing: It certainly gave me a good laugh. I thought people were shocked when they hear just how much I enjoy Disney. I can only imagine the reactions he gets.

Here we go again...
07-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Everyone in my office thinks I am crazy. I don't care... they know it is my stress release and see how happy I am when I come back. They don't get it though. Most of them think of Disney as an amusement park... you know, been to six flags, so why go to Disney?

I do not hide my obsession. I call my Honda Pilot my Mickey Mobile. My license plate says "EPCOT" and has a disney frame around it. I have a Mickey making a Peace sign decal on my back window. I have a front plate that says "Where the Magic begins" AND I have Mickey floor mats.
If you think that is bad, you should see my house...

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-12-2007, 01:28 AM
LOL!! Yeah........

We've stopped trying to explain it to people. We do get a lot of "slack" about it from our parents: "Why do you go to the same place every year?? Why don't you try somewhere new?" Well, the main reason is that we have never had a bad Disney vacation. Ever. But hey, its not their vacation! We love Disney - everything Disney.... so for us its just really fun to talk about and enjoy.

*shrugs* Let 'em think what they think..... more Disney for me is what I always say!

I could have written this word for word! :thumbsup::mickey:

CandleontheWater
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I try not to get too bent out of shape when people question my love for Disney, because, you know what, thats one less person in line in front of me for Space Mt.

Honestly, I think there are two types of people in the world, those who lost their imagination in childhood, and those that still use and appreciate thier imagination into adulthood. I think imagination people can be converted into Disney lovers (if they are not already), but those poor lack of imagination folks will never get it, because they don't have the framework in which to understand it. I'm glad every day that I still have my imagination, because life would be pretty bleak sometimes without it!

TIGGERSDOBOUNCE
07-12-2007, 09:08 PM
:mickey: I'm a mechanical contractor...well I am now that I work in the office...before the office I worked in the field and was strictly known as a plumber...now it really doesn't matter what my title or position may be; where I work it's not accepted to talk about anything but fishing :fish:, football, :football: baseball, golf :golf:, boating, drinking, bachelor parties, ocean city, md., basketball, racing, boxing :boxing: etc...now these are not bad subjects to talk about; but you didn't here any options to talk about the MK, EPCOT, MGM, AK, MAIN STREET, USA, SPECTRO MAGIC, WISHES, MICKEY MOUSE :balloon:, TIGGER, DAPPER DANS, SPACE MOUNTAIN, SPLASH MOUNTAIN, BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN RAILROAD, WORLD SHOWCASE, STREET PERFORMERS, WINE IN FRANCE :wine:, FRIED DOUGH IN AMERICA...I think you get the point!

FUN FUN :tigger: FUN

IloveDisney71
07-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I totally relate to everyone who LOVES Disney. My family thinks I'm a little obsessed with it but they come to me for "Disney" trip advice and tips. Come to think of it, so do my co-workers! :tink:
I grew up near Disney and my out-of-town relatives would always stay at our house when they came to WDW...so guess who usually got to tag along? Due to that fact, I have many wonderul "family" memories at WDW. Now that I live farther away, I don't get to visit WDW as often, but I'm always looking forward to my next trip. There is no place on Earth where you can truly "get away from it all". WDW is the most magical place to become a kid again!:minnie: When somebody looks at me like I'm a little crazy for going to WDW again, I just think of the fun times I have there and then I don't worry about it one bit!

StitchLuvr
07-12-2007, 10:47 PM
My family all understands because we all have something we're nuts about that others may not. For instance, my brother really gets in to "gaming" and just attended a week-long convention. He's got oodles of containers of little figures everywhere. I think they're neat!!

When I'm asked about my Disney obsession I just say I'm a big kid at heart who never wants to grow up.....where else can you go to relive childhood memories, all the Disney movies I could recite verbatim as my kids were raised on them, and get goose bumps as you hop on the monorail that first day, anticipating seeing the castle in all it's beauty? I just love it!! :dumbo:

showmethemouse
07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
at my job that thank i'm crazy about disney .
until a few of my co=works want themself to disney this year and now they can relate to me. we talk all the time about it:mickey::mickey: