PDA

View Full Version : children ages at park

aurora, ariel, and bell
06-19-2007, 03:02 PM
i have been to wdw the last 4 years with dh and another couple. we are going for free dining this september for the first time.

i want to take my granddaughter, and was wondering was is the best age to take her. i want experience mickey through a child's eyes.

she will be 3 this august. do you think september 2008 is too early she will be 4, or is that still too young.

i wanted to take her this year but was talked out of it, everyone said she was too young.

just a note she has a younger sister who will be 3 in sept 2008. should i attempt to take both or stick to original idea of just the oldest.

thanks for the help

tyandskyesmom
06-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I would take her this year...never too young for Disney! but if you have been talked out of this year I think next would be perfect...Skye is 3 and has been many times and she is at the age now where she remembers last time and knows a lot of the movies and characters. She is still young enouhg to not have developed a too overly active omagination and scare herself out of riding things (like her 8 year old brother) and she really gets it now! So at 4 your granddaughter would love it...and if you are waitinig that long how could you only take one????

12 and 196 more days!!!!

krose78
06-19-2007, 03:51 PM
If you are going next year I would take both of them they will both be more than old enough to enjoy the parks. Both of mine have been going since they were one and have enjoyed it ever year.

Doug The Disney Man`
06-19-2007, 03:53 PM
I always tell people that 4-8 are the perfect years to Disney! The kids are still young enough to get excited to see the characters and certain shows like Playhouse on Stage, but they are usually big enough to go on some of the wilder rides like Splash, Space, Big Thunder, EE, Soarin' and of course my alltime fave-Tower of Terror! The height restrictions on those rides are only 40-44". (ToT is 40", my son loved it when he was 4!)

KAJUNKING
06-19-2007, 04:02 PM
I would take her this year...never too young for Disney! but if you have been talked out of this year I think next would be perfect...Skye is 3 and has been many times and she is at the age now where she remembers last time and knows a lot of the movies and characters. She is still young enouhg to not have developed a too overly active omagination and scare herself out of riding things (like her 8 year old brother) and she really gets it now! So at 4 your granddaughter would love it...and if you are waitinig that long how could you only take one????

12 and 196 more days!!!!

i agree i would take her this year, you just have to understand that a trip with a young child is a different trip than one without, be prepared to take it slow, and mabey take a mid day break, the best trip ive ever had was my first trip with my kids, and this year my 3 year old nephew will be coming for his first trip and we cant wait! hope this helps

kakn7294
06-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Both of my DD's went when they were just 3. I don't think 3 is too young, but I was with them which might make a difference. You didn't say who everyone was, so I will assume it's your DH, the couple you travel with, and her parents. As a mom, I wouldn't want to let my DD's go without me either, especially at age 3. It's not that my own parents wouldn't take great care of them but 3 year olds can be a lot of work. My FIL would never have been allowed to take them - I panicked when he wanted to take my oldest to the zoo when she was 5. If it hadn't been for a family friend going with him, I would have never allowed her to go and before she went I schooled her on her name, our names, our address, our phone number and what to do if Pap-Pap got lost. If I were you, I would take them one at a time too - just make sure that they understand that they will get a turn, just not together.

dolphinmickey9170
06-19-2007, 04:42 PM
From one DGM to another, take her.....we took our 7 month old DGD and had a blast. We are taking her again for Christmas. I can't wait until she can talk and walk and want to go from place to place. I agree with you about wanting to see Disney through the eyes of a child. It is wonderful. When my DD's were 7 and 9, we had the most wonderful time. Enjoy and have a great time.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-19-2007, 04:46 PM
My kids have all been going since they were under 1. There is no age that is too young for WDW in our opinion!! :mickey:

I would bring them both and have a wonderful time!!

Disney Doll
06-19-2007, 04:52 PM
We took our niece when she was 3 (would have been 4 in another month). She had a blast and we so enjoyed seeing Disney through her eyes. I would go for it if I were you. I think 3 or 4 is a great age to see Disney. I would take both girls and enjoy your trip!

mainemajor
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
I feel that 3-4 is the youngest a child can really begin to enjoy Disney. Younger than that they really do not have a concept of where they are. Parents might enjoy being there with very young children, but the child does not know they are at Disney.
Too often I have seen parents/grandparents that are overwhelmed by trying to do so much with a baby in hand. Too often these babies wind up hot, bothered and over tired just because their parents want them to see it all.
When children are at least 3 they can really form ideas that they will remember.
What does anyone really remember of their own lives before they were 3-4 years old? Disney is no different.
Next year take both of your grandchildren. Take it slow and at their pace. Take lots of rest breaks and afternoon naps.:mickey:

aurora, ariel, and bell
06-19-2007, 09:38 PM
thank you all for your help. i think i will end up taking both girls next september, (our favorite time to go)

the trip would be planned strickly around them, so we would be going at their pace.

i will go this year with our friends and enjoy the adult vacation and look forward to next year when i can go with the grandkids and see thier eyes light up!:cloud9:

Mickey91
06-20-2007, 10:19 AM
It is never too young to go to WDW!:mickey: We took DS at 15 months and DD at almost 3. They don't remember these particular trips, but we have memories of our little ones with the characters and pictures that they love to see. They are priceless! If it is possible, I would still take her this year!:mickey:

Dyanna
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Our daughter will be 10 months old when we take her in October:)