PDA

View Full Version : Travelling on a budget with kids

Fairydust
06-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi everybody.:wave:

I'll be driving down to Disneyland in 7 weeks with my 3 kids. (ages 11,9 and 6) We will be meeting my parents in Oregan and staying in their motorhome.
This will be my kids first time down and I haven't been down since '93. My daughter (the 6 year old) is crazy about the disney princess's and all my kids are kind of cautious and wont go on the big roller coasters. Thou my 9 year old is eager to go on Indy.
We wont be eating out very often because of money ~ but would like to know of a couple of good places to take kids.
We have also already purchased the City passes and tickets to KBF and Legoland as well as the Medival times.
Any info would be much appriciated.
We were going to do a charater meal but were told not to bother.
We will be in Disneyland for 3 days and CA for 1 possibly 2.
Thank you.

Melanie
06-19-2007, 07:36 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

We were going to do a charater meal but were told not to bother.

Why were you told not to bother?

Fairydust
06-19-2007, 11:45 PM
I was told the food wasn't that great and there was so many kids that the characters couldn't get to all of them.
Was this info not right? :confused:

I'm started to really stress out about this trip.:laughing:

NotaGeek
06-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I love Goofy's Kitchen character breakfast ... great character interaction and yummy food. And the last time I was at the park I tried the Lilo And Stitch breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel and it was really good. The character interaction was good, and there was stuff or the kids to get up and do with a "leader" ... and at Goofy's Kitchen Chef Goofy comes out and does the Macarena, and lets the kids play a pots and pans band while everyone dances! It's not cheap, but it's worth it!

To make Priority Reservations for Character meals and any restaurant at the Disneyland Resort or Downtown Disney you can call Disney Dining at (714) 781-3463. They book reservations 60 days in advance, but they do not book reservations for Rain Forest Cafe in DTD.

Fairydust
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks.

What is the better meal to do? (breakfast, lunch or supper)
Which characters do I have to choose from?:confused:

Lizzie
06-20-2007, 01:33 PM
I would always do a charachter meal for the kids. My husband loves the breakfasts. We usually do it a little later and skip lunch for the day.

*tinker_belle*
06-20-2007, 10:56 PM
The character breakfasts are so fun to do. We went right to Goofy's Kitchen when they opened in the morning (on a reservation) and almost had the place to ourselves. We got good character interaction and there was so much food to choose from that my head was spinning. I wish i could have brought some of it along in my purse for later.:D I do not think that it's a must do, but some feel differently.
If you are trying to do this trip on a budget, i would skip the character meal.
You might try the Disney dining plan. Sometimes that works out best for a budget. Also bringing your own food is a good idea as well.

Carol
06-21-2007, 08:30 AM
:welcome: to INTERCOT. :hands:

You can also do the Storyteller's Café Critter Breakfast at the Grand Californian. :chip::dale:

We had a wonderful experience there in November. The characters were very attentive -- and we had a table full of adults.

The thing I really liked about this breakfast is you did not have to dine off from the buffet. You can order off from the menu as well.

We had such a great time we're going back next month.

I would suggest at least one character meal with the children.

Melanie
06-21-2007, 10:53 AM
You can also order off the menu at the Stitch breakfast at Paradise Pier. :stitch:

I've never done a character meal inside one of the parks, but I have done all three at the resorts, and all are fun. Good food and character interaction.

Although pricey, I think doing at least one character meal is well worth it.

Melanie
06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Which characters do I have to choose from?:confused:

At the resorts:

Goofy's Kitchen - Goofy is a given, but there are a mix of characters here. You never seem to know who you may get.

Storyteller's Cafe - Terk, Chip 'n Dale, Kenai and Koda.

Paradise Pier - Stitch, Lilo, Minnie, Pluto and Max

Fairydust
06-21-2007, 11:03 AM
OK you guys convinced me. :thumbsup:

My parents wanted to do a character meal but I didn't want to waste their money if it wasn't any fun.

Now I've narrowed it down to the Lilo and Stitch one and the Goofy's Kitchen. I'll have to decide between the two.

Is breakfast the best meal to do then?

I don't want to take a whole lot of time away from the parks.;)

*tinker_belle*
06-21-2007, 03:08 PM
To me, breakfast is a great time to do the meal. Make your reservation early and you'll be glad you did. Also it's a wonderful way to start off the morning! We were full and satisfied for hours afterwards.

nmbullrdr
06-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Goofy's Kitchen is a must. We called for reservations late and could only get in at 7:15 AM. This was the best time. Only about five other families and we had all the characters to ourselves. Goofy spent a lot of time at our table to the delight of our kids. We thought the food was very good and with the fun we had, we thought the price was reasonable.

tdhiatt
06-27-2007, 06:24 PM
:mickey:
The character dining is a blast. If money is the issue than breakfast would be the way to go. Its alwasy the cheapest. There is also Ariels Grotto in California Adventure. I have not been to that one. They do not do breakfast. They only do lunch and dinner. Its cheaper than Goofys kitchen. Money suggetions, order off the kids menu not that much difference in portion size. There is a McDonalds in California Adventure. Be careful the meals look like an o.k. deal but they don't include the drinks. We always bring our own water to the park , also a big money saver. Just some money saving ideas. It truly is the happiest place on earth. We love it! Please ride splash mountain for us!

jochou
07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
since you'll be staying in a motorhome, why not retreat there for lunch and an afternoon nap for the kids? picking up some cold cuts, lunchables, and the like just before you arrive might save you some $$ for at least the first day or two. also, i'd recommend eating breakfast there (other than the character meal, of course!) with just some oatmeal, cold cereal, fruit, or bagels. that way, you won't just save on cash, but also those crucial early-morning hours of touring in the park while other guests are eating inside.

hope you have a great trip! :)

Fairydust
07-02-2007, 10:53 PM
since you'll be staying in a motorhome, why not retreat there for lunch and an afternoon nap for the kids? picking up some cold cuts, lunchables, and the like just before you arrive might save you some $$ for at least the first day or two. also, i'd recommend eating breakfast there (other than the character meal, of course!) with just some oatmeal, cold cereal, fruit, or bagels. that way, you won't just save on cash, but also those crucial early-morning hours of touring in the park while other guests are eating inside.

hope you have a great trip! :)

Yes thank you ~ we plan on doing this as much as possible. I really find when I'm in Disneyland, I hate to stop to sit down and eat. I like to eat on the run. I've never been down there with kids before ~ so I know I'll have to slow down with them.;)

tdhiatt
07-03-2007, 01:11 AM
:mickey:You may be suprised, we just went in may with 3 kids. 10, 5, and 1. We ran just as much as usual. The one thing that changed with kids is that on the nights that its open until midnight we were at the park before openining and then home for a mid day break. And back later. We really tried to eat when we sat for shows ect. Have fun. I am jealous, and due for a trip. I am hoping for October.

meldan98
07-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I also suggest Goofy's kitchen. There is great interaction and you really won't need to eat lunch. There is so much food.

Ariel's is good and the food is excellent, but you only get to see princesses, so if you have any boys, they may not be as enthused.