PDA

View Full Version : Kids with games in the parks?

CU Tiger
06-19-2007, 10:20 AM
What do you think of allowing your kids to bring their “game boys” into the parks? I was kind of shocked :shake:to see kids sitting on benches and playing their hand held games, instead of doing Disney stuff or family stuff. They can play games at home. I guess, since my DDs are not into hand held games, it may be harder for me to understand :confused:the need to play all the time. I paid too much money for my DDs to just sit around doing that.

What do you think? :mickey:

CrazyStitch
06-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I can see taking them along to pass the time while waiting in a long line, but I don't think it's appropriate elsewhere. As you said, I paid money for them to be there, so they best be enjoying the park more than Mario's lastest adventure.

I'm debating whether or not to allow my son to take my Nintendo DS when we go in August.

Momof2boys
06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Thankfully my boys leave their game boys in the room. They are a life saver on the flight but once we get on Magical Express they are the last things on their minds.

Carol
06-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I was kind of shocked to see kids sitting on benches and playing their hand held games, How do you know they aren't waiting for someone/thing??

I see nothing wrong with it. If given the choice my kids would be doing something Disney related - but there are often times we have to sit idle for one reason or other and they'll listen to their iPod or play a handheld to pass the wait.

I don't see what the big deal is. :shrug:

WelshieLover
06-19-2007, 10:43 AM
WDW is encouraging this. If you have the Pirates of the Carribean game you can get special uploads only available at the parks. There was an article in the paper about this.

JPL
06-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Actually Disney seems to be encouraging this now. They have special spots to download cheats for the Nintendo DS version of pirates. I was on a line with a kid playing his game 2 days ago and it was quite annoying since he had sound on and instead of hearing the queue spiels and music I heard blaster sounds:mad: I can see bringing for entertainment in the room and while and travelling but leave it in the room once you arrive.

Ian
06-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous that kids can't occupy themselves (or, heaven forbid, actually TALK to someone) while waiting in line, but I guess I don't really care (not my kid) as long as they TURN THE VOLUME DOWN!!!

Last time I was down I stood in line and had to listen to some moronic BEEP BEEP BEEP the entire time while some kid banged around on his PSP. That's WAY more annoying than listening to a cell phone!

I can tell you one thing, though ... no way my kids would ever even bring one on vacation. Family vacations are for family time, not video game time.

biodtl
06-19-2007, 11:23 AM
My son doesn't take his in the parks - besides the fact that he is in WDW and has a million things to do and see, I don't need one more thjing to worry about. Those things aren't cheap and I won't take a chance on losing one (and neither will he, actually).

I don't mind them, really, as long as they don't interfere with anyone else's good time (sound off/paying attention to the line moving, etc).

thrillme
06-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Actually I think they were a Godsend. Especially for those times when we had to stand in line because we had just gotten a fast pass for something else.

My DS with his Gameboy attracted the attention of another weary boy right behind him that was about the same age (if we see another kid in line suffering from the boredom of standing in line I usually encourage him to share) the two boys had a blast taking turns with the Gameboy. The line went so fast for them. We later went on to ride several more rides with our new found ride buddies from New Jersey. No I don't remember any names but the boys (approximately the same age) were having a blast riding Dinosaur, Dino Spin and Everest together.

Also the boy on the bench could have been waiting for Mom and/or Dad to take his little brother/sister to the bathroom etc. Yeah you want to do something "Disney" all the time at Disney but sometimes you need a "mouse break". And I was guilty too. If there wasn't another kid near us waiting...my DS and I played several two player games. My favorite was Yatzee.

..and the DS...I LOVE that thing myself. I bought one for my son and my boyfriend. Now I guess I'm going to have to get the pink one.

So if you're standing behind me in line and I suddenly start yelling at my son or boyfriend..."Spit me out!!! Spit me out!!!" you'll know that we're playing a Mario race game and his Yoshi just ate my Yoshi.:)

buzznwoodysmom
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I have to agree with the original poster. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to bring a game boy into the parks. It is something I would never let my children do. I do let them take it for the ride there, we drive to WDW and its an 11 hour drive. Once we pass through those gates the game boy is put away until the ride home. And even in the car there is a limited amount of time that I'll allow them to play. I wouldn't let them play for 11 hours straight. They mostly play for 30 minutes and then put it away for a few hours. DH and I have had some of the best conversations with our children while waiting in a long line. And we have also met wonderful people from all over the world while waiting in long lines. There are plenty of ways for a parent to interact with and entertain their children, no matter what their age, while waiting in line.

My children also have limited time with their gameboys at home. They do not get to sit in thier room playing for hours on end. The whole "gaming" thing is getting to be a bit out of controll IMO. Around here I see kids playing their games at the grocery store while mom pushes the cart around shopping, or I see them playing them in the mall, or at the movies before the show begins. To me it is becoming an obsession for some kids. They can't make it through a short period of time without thier games. The way I see it is by parents allowing this extreme behavior is one way of allowing their children to disconnect from thier family and the rest of the world. Now I know that not everyone is like this, but I have seen it so much around the area I live in lately that it is somewhat alarming.

Darbylew
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
RIght outside of the POC this year is some
download stations for POC. If you have the
game POC on your DS then you can download
these games. My granddaughter brought hers
in the park just to do this. Maybe this is what
those kids did that you saw. She does not take
her DS in the parks but since we heard of this
going on she did this time.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMBER 2007! :mickey::D

dixielandings
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
I couldn't agree more. I like to be entertained in the downtime as much as the next person but for heaven's sake, it's WDW! And it's expensive. I want to teach my kids to look around, observe the beauty, talk to people (including their parents and family), etc.

I love games - I'm playing on my laptop at work right now :blush:. But come on...and yes, turn off the volume!

SurferStitch
06-19-2007, 01:01 PM
How do you know they aren't waiting for someone/thing??

I see nothing wrong with it. If given the choice my kids would be doing something Disney related - but there are often times we have to sit idle for one reason or other and they'll listen to their iPod or play a handheld to pass the wait.

I don't see what the big deal is. :shrug:

I don't know....

When I was a kid and had to wait around for a ride or parade (or anything), I would actually have a conversation with my parents or other kids. Maybe that's a dead art now. :shrug: I mean, if they're old enough to know how to play these games, they're old enough to tell you how their day is going.

On a plane or for an extended period of time like that, they can be fine to pass some of the time, but in a family atmosphere where the kids and parents should be sharing experiences, they seem out of place.

I sometimes think kids are too absorbed into their own little worlds. Try to talk to many kids/preteens, and it's usually 3 word responses. That's how my nephew was, and he practically lived inside his Playstation. Thankfully, that's changed drastically. I think if kids spent more time conversing with others and less time staring at a game screen, it may do a world of good.

But, that's just my opinion based on what I've seen first-hand. :mickey:

thrillme
06-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I dunno. There still seems to be plenty of time for conversation. We have chats ALL the time everyday...not just at Disney. We often play the video games together and have a blast. Another thing we do to is we play a LOT of board games together. We get together with friends and play these board games too.

Pretty much the only time my DS (or I) plays the Gameboy/Nientendo DS at Disney is when we're waiting in one of those FOREVER lines (we're there in mid July....the wait can be PAINFUL sometimes). Sometimes we chat with someone if they're interested in chatting but some are only interested in their own parties. :( Now...with the Nientendo DS...if any of the other kids in line have one they can share games and they can play PictoGraph games and really get to turn it into a big play group. I guess it's just a way kids communicate these days.

laward32
06-19-2007, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't let my girls bring one to the park. (They don't play with those, but they do each have a leapster). I am planning on taking those for the plane ride there and back on our trip in April. But they will not be bringing them into the parks. They will be to excited seeing everything and even in line they stay pretty occupied talking to me and my mom about what we are doing next and asking general questions about the parks.
I agree with a previous poster about kids not being able to occupy themselves anymore. Video games are way to important to kids now a days. Just my opinion.:mickey:

Disney4
06-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I let my kids use their gameboys, PSPs, and smart phones to play, surf the net and IM while they have downtime in the parks. this kid even uses his smartphone to answer emails, surf and chat on this board while waiting in line! :laughing:

I have to give Disney credit for looking forward to what interests the future moms and dads that will visit their parks. Wi-fi spots, Pal Mickey and interactive games for handhelds are all very creative offerings that speak to the next generation of Disney patron. :thumbsup:

My kids still spend plenty of time reading, chatting and playing away from those devices, but the way people relax and unwind is very different than when I was a kid.

Carol
06-19-2007, 02:00 PM
The scenario described by the OP is entirely different from everything you are all talking about. Do I think it's appropriate in line for an attraction or show? No. That's not what they said.

They said they saw a kid sitting on a bench. Perhaps the kid had been there an hour holding the bench for the family for the parade?? Who knows. It's certainly not my place to judge.

emmingo
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
What about your DH bringing his to the park so that he could download the extras for POC while over the "X" in line waiting for the ride...I mean...not that my DH does anything like that...nope...:whistle:

BigBaloo
06-19-2007, 02:19 PM
We're letting our sons bring theirs into the park to get the POTC download & that's it. They won't be allowed to play it until we leave to come home. Honestly they are ok with that because they are so excited to be at WDW that they will want to be doing rides & not wasting time w/ their games.

Marker
06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Actually, I guess I don't think about it. To each his own.

Inappropriate??? Nah. Foul language in public is inappropriate, being TOO scantily clad is inappropriate, line jumping is inappropriate. Sitting quietly and playing a game, don't think so.

"why don't they entertain themselves or talk to someone" --- Well, if the kid is sitting on a bench, unless his family is sitting there with him, who's he going to talk to, strangers? Lots of folks don't really think that kids should be talking to strangers.

"they can play video games at home", true, but we can also watch TV at home, or go swimming at home, or go out for a steak dinner at home, or go shopping at home. For that matter, you can probably ride a roller coaster at home.

If the kid was sitting peacefully, minding his own business playing a game..... frankly, it's really none of my worry. If he's enjoying himself, and not being a problem for anyone, what difference. Maybe he was waiting for a parent to had to go stand in the smoking area for 10 minutes, or was the the first to arrive at a designated rendezvous location, or was waiting while other family members went to the bathroom, or went on a ride he didn't like.

Just as we can speculate and say he shouldn't be doing that.... there are plenty or good reasons that he was doing exactly what he should.

Heck, I'm not afraid to admit that I've used my phone to check e-mail or send a text message while I waited in a line. I'll bet a lot of folks have.

snifflesmcg
06-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't have kids but I don't see the harm in it as long as the sound is kept down and it's done in moderation. During summer time when lines are an hour a piece, I'm sure it gets boring just standing there in a line. With everything else that is tolerated in parks, children playing a video game quietly in a line should be the least of our worries.

Belle619
06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous that kids can't occupy themselves (or, heaven forbid, actually TALK to someone) while waiting in line...Family vacations are for family time, not video game time.

:ditto:

I could not agree more! First, the parents are paying A LOT for the kid to be at Disney. It is one thing if they are getting the Disney downloads (i.e. POTC) - but if they are just playing games for amusement purposes - then that is where I have a problem. Hello - you're in the happiest place on earth - if you're bored, then stay at home with grandma and save your parents some $$$.

Second, I know it is hard to wait in long lines when you are a kid - but the parents should try to engage the children in conversation instead of just sticking a toy in their hand. If that is too hard, then give them a book - at least that way they can work on their reading and vocabulary skills while standing there.

grumpycajun
06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
To each his or her own, but there's no way our would bring theirs to a park and I wouldn't let them if they wanted to. They spend enough time tuned in to the computer at home and vacation is family time. I think there's something wrong with teaching our kids that they have to be totally occupied and absorbed 100% of their waking hours. Conversly I think we SHOULD teach them to take a break every once in a while and just be aware of what's going on around them. Especially in a place like the WORLD.

Jasper
06-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Add us to the list of parents who don't allow their kids to take their games into the parks. First of all, we feel that kids need to learn to learn to behave and be patient even when they don't have something to entertain them. Plus with what the silly things cost we don't want to take the chance of the equipment getting lost, stolen or damaged.

If others want to let their kids bring them into the parks then that is their choice. However, if they do bring them then they need to show respect to others by turning the volume down or off and by not trying to walk while they are playing. We were sitting on the curb waiting for a parade to start in the MK several years ago and watched this kid bump into at least 6 different people because he had his head down trying to play his game while following his parents down the street. To make matters worse, we never saw him say "sorry" or "excuse me" to anyone he hit!! Needless to say, that child is in need of a lesson in manners (as are the parents.)

disneygirlie11
06-19-2007, 06:36 PM
My parents just got back from WDW a few days ago and both my brothers brought their handhelds. My youngest brother brought his Nintendo DS b/c you get to download extra features to the POTC AWE game at the actual ride. My other brother always brings his PSP and listens to all his songs while he is walking around and waiting for things. I don't see what the big deal is??

LoriMistress
06-19-2007, 06:51 PM
I can understand waiting in a long line, because that just kills so much time! But not while at the parks. Luckly, DH and I rarely wait in lines how we plan our trips, so less waiting and more riding!

marlyn
06-19-2007, 08:23 PM
We don't take our gameboys at all when we go on vacation. Not even for the plane. Our vacations are electronics free. My boys read, watch the movie on plane, do activities in an activity book, play travel games etc. They don't miss it at all. It is nice to just watch what is going on around us. At WDW, they never complain about lines. There is just so much to see.

DisneyFreak23
06-19-2007, 08:35 PM
wow, some of you are harsh.

marker has an extremely good point, i mean, would you rather the kid is line jumping, spitting and using foul language, i think not. If the poor kid was just being quiet and waiting for someone, thats perfectly fine by me, now on the other hand if a kid was blasting annoying beeps and music from a game and kept holding up the line in splash mountain, yes, i would be upset, so i guess it all just depends on the manner in wich the child is using the game

KAJUNKING
06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
im ok with my kids having them on the trip for the ride there and mabey in the room, but the games wont go into the parks at all

merlinmagic4
06-19-2007, 09:14 PM
It will be a better world when we can all be more understanding and not assume we know everything about a child or a parent based on one moment in Walt Disney World. And, no, my children do not take electronics into the park but I certainly would not judge other parents for the choices they make. I guess I tend not to let innocent things like this annoy me. I'm too busy having a great time with my family (and trying to be extra careful that they are not annoying anyone!!!!!!)

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-19-2007, 10:11 PM
It will be a better world when we can all be more understanding and not assume we know everything about a child or a parent based on one moment in Walt Disney World. And, no, my children do not take electronics into the park but I certainly would not judge other parents for the choices they make. I guess I tend not to let innocent things like this annoy me. I'm too busy having a great time with my family (and trying to be extra careful that they are not annoying anyone!!!!!!)

:thumbsup: I totally agree with you. My kids take their DS's on the plane, never in the parks. I would hate for someone to see them playing them while on the plane and think that my kids are addicted to video games. If they play them 30 minutes a week that is a lot. The plane ride is probably the most they will play them at a time.

If I walked by a child sitting on a bench playing a handheld I would probably just think they needed a break. ;)

Nekochan
06-20-2007, 10:04 PM
My son has ADD and sensory issues. Disney is TOTAL overload for him. Standing in line is really, really difficult for him - he probably qualifies for one of those passes but I'm afraid of the dirty looks. Shopping is even harder, since he goes into overload and needs to touch everything and can't stay in one place for more than 30 seconds in a store. The DS is a HUGE help for us keeping him busy while we're waiting in line or if I want to spend 10 minutes shopping.

psychotekkie
06-20-2007, 11:27 PM
My son has ADD and sensory issues. Disney is TOTAL overload for him. Standing in line is really, really difficult for him - he probably qualifies for one of those passes but I'm afraid of the dirty looks. Shopping is even harder, since he goes into overload and needs to touch everything and can't stay in one place for more than 30 seconds in a store. The DS is a HUGE help for us keeping him busy while we're waiting in line or if I want to spend 10 minutes shopping.

THANK YOU! That is exactly what I was going to say. People must remember that every child is different. Some kids may be happy to converse with mom and dad for an hour at a time several times per day, or even look at scenery, but for other kids, this is not only torturous, but next to impossible. I want my children to ENJOY their entire vacation, including waiting for rides, waiting for others to get out of the washrooms, waiting for parades.

That doesn't mean I would let them play non-stop, or play noisy games that disturb others. It just means I will let them be entertained. If it means bringing a deck of cards / bubble blowers / colouring books / hot wheels OR even Gameboy, it doesn't matter to me.

(And of course, being a "tekkie", I have no problem with technology. We will have cell phone, walkie talkies, digital camera and laptop ourselves, so why can't the kids have some as well)?

BrandyC1974
06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
My girls just each got a Nintendo DS for their birthdays. I will definetly be bringing them for our trip in 2009. My youngest (now 7) has ADD. It will help her from trying to run around while we will be in line or sitting down to eat. Also, it will help my oldest (now 10, as of today 6/21/07) to not try to run people over to get to the rides (she is in a wheelchair and very impatient). I will not let them play them during rides or shows. Just when waiting.
:mickey:

mainemajor
06-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I wish parents would spend more time talking with their children at disney instead of allowing them to tune out the magic all around them. my children never wanted to bring their game boys or ipods with them and they were never bored. there is always something to see, do, watch or talk about there.

Figment1988
06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
altough i don't have kids, here's my view on this. i don't have a problem with kids with handheld games (they help make the time in long lines go quicker). in fact, i often carry my DS, Game Boy Color, or even the Sega Game Gear whenever i go to disney

RockChalkKimball
06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
I asked my 14 year old DS this one. Even though he is very "plugged in" to my surprise, he said, no way. He said he would not waste his time at WDW playing video games, even if he got free downloads.

I posed the same question to a friend who has an autistic child. She said that definately, a hand held game would be a must for waiting in lines.

So, as is the norm on this site... to each his own.

Lizzie
06-23-2007, 01:37 AM
I am going on a quick trip to DL without the kids. I will problably bring it into the parks just becuase I am planning on waiting in long lines, and because I can without the kids. When we go to DW in September I won't get a chance to pull it out even waiting in the airport.

Squeaky Mouse
06-23-2007, 02:19 PM
My kids haven't taken their games into the parks yet, but I'm encouraging it for our July trip. In fact, I just bought a copy of the latest Pirates game for the DS so they can download the special codes while in the MK. I'm hoping this will keep my kids from growing bored and bickering while in line. Personally, I'd rather listen to a fairly quiet game being played by children (or adults, for that matter) than all the adults we frequently hear chatting loudly on their cell phones. Before I get flamed for saying this, we take our cell phones into the parks to locate each other if we get separated. We don't use them to call friends and family at home to tell them (and the hundred or so other people standing in line for Peter Pan) about the stomach ailment that developed after dining at O'Hana the night before -- true story -- we got to hear about the fellow's discomfort in GREAT detail. Ugh!

llamaface
06-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous that kids can't occupy themselves (or, heaven forbid, actually TALK to someone) while waiting in line..
I can tell you one thing, though ... no way my kids would ever even bring one on vacation. Family vacations are for family time, not video game time.

AMEN!! I have 3 kids (11, 9, 6) and we have been going to Disney for the past 6 years, and yes, believe it or not, we go video gameless. And get this, we drive down from PA!!! Thankfully, my kids all get along extremely well and know how to occupy themselves otherwise - talking to each other, using their imagination to play games or even reading. I feel so bad when I see families doing something as simple as going out to dinner and the kids are sitting their playing handhelds instead of communicating with one another.

disneyfan369
06-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I guess if it's just for the room then that's OK. Other than that though, it's insanely obnoxious.