PDA

View Full Version : I Pledge Allegiance . . .

Carol
06-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Walt Disney World Resort to Host the Swearing-In Of 1,000 New Americans July 4 on Main Street, U.S.A. :flag:

Gala Ceremonies to Include Performances by Gloria Estefan, Lee Greenwood

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- In the place where Dreams Come True, more than 1,000 immigrants from dozens of countries will realize their dream of becoming United States citizens during a Naturalization ceremony on the Fourth of July at Walt Disney World Resort.

For the first time in its 35-year history, Disney's Magic Kingdom theme park will be the backdrop as Disney Parks and Resorts and United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) jointly host a "Dreams Come True" swearing-in ceremony on the forecourt of Cinderella Castle. The event will be open to park guests on Independence Day morning.

Presided over by Director of USCIS Emilio Gonzalez, dreamers from more than 75 countries will raise their right hand and take the Oath of Allegiance to become citizens. The ceremony will feature the presentation of the colors, a keynote address by U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez (R-FL), the national anthem performed by Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter Gloria Estefan, the Oath of Allegiance and the Pledge of Allegiance. USCIS will also recognize Estefan and her husband Emilio as outstanding "Americans by Choice" for being exemplary naturalized citizens.

Besides the keynote address by Sen. Martinez, festivities will also include a stirring performance of "God Bless the U.S.A." by singer Lee Greenwood.

To cap a star-spangled morning, a squadron of U.S. Air Force F-15s will streak across the sky as America's newest citizens and their families join in their own July 4th parade down Main Street, U.S.A.

Marker
06-19-2007, 08:24 AM
That is VERY cool.

BrerEmma
06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
I hope we can watch the parade on tv!!!!!:mickey::number1:

RobWreck
06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Wow, that is cool...
Rob

Ian
06-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Why RobWreck! As I live and breathe it's you! Haven't seen you around these parts in a coon's age! Welcome back!

Anyhoo ... I agree ... VERY cool!

Melanie
06-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Very nice, very nice. :flag:

crazypoohbear
06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
While I agree that it is very cool for these people to take their oath and become American citizens:thumbsup: I can't help but think about how incredibly crowded it will be on the 4th.:(
I remember being there a few years ago on the 4th and boy was it awful with the heat, crowds and rudeness :thedolls: of some people.
I hope for the sakes of our newest citizens that the crowds are more manageable.

mttafire
06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Very nice, very nice. :flag:

Yep..very cool!!:thumbsup:

DNS
06-19-2007, 10:29 AM
This is so cool!!! I really wish I could go. I wonder if they'll televise any of it. I would so love to watch. :flag:

chrisb26
06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I think this is awesome. What better place then to become an American Citizen then in WDW! I must say if I had to pick a place to become a citizen I would defiently like to have it done there. However the date is an issue for me. Well actually only the date because of the place. I think its a great idea to have it on July 4. However its probably not the best thing to have it at Magic Kingdom. Don't they usually have to close the park because of the crowding that day? So this will be another 1,000+ people there for this. That probably wont make some happy that wanted to visit on this day. However I think aside from that this is a great thing Disney is doing. :mickey: :flag:

SallyP
06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
:flag:
It's a moving, emotional ceremony no matter where it is conducted but in Magic Kingdom with bells, whistles and fly-bys it ought to be a truly memorable Independence Day for those involved.
Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA was done on a big screen showing a montage of new Americans in the ceremony I attended in Tampa. I wonder if he'll be there in person at MK.

Kudos to Disney for hosting this event and not worrying about the crowds - they do have many years experience in handling crowds of all types!

pogo
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Very nice, indeed. :flag: :D

scottgr
06-19-2007, 02:05 PM
That's cool. What a place to do it :flag:

missouridisney
06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Gave me goose bumps reading this, it would be awesome to be there. Disney and Patriotism are high on my list, next to God and family.:flag::flag:

TheRustyScupper
06-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Kewl . . . . . .

TinkRocks
06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Boy, do I wish I could be one of those lucky 1000 people. I'm in the USA on a student visa at the moment...

DNS
06-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Boy, do I wish I could be one of those lucky 1000 people. I'm in the USA on a student visa at the moment...
How nice! If you decide to apply for citizenship, let me say good luck and hopefully the process will not take too long.

Jeff G
06-19-2007, 05:53 PM
That's an awesome way to become a US citizen!

Catwillow
06-19-2007, 06:04 PM
that is so way way cool....and now it actually has me thinking that I would actually like to go to WDW on July 4th just to witness this -- to be a part. I think it would be worth getting up real early and driving the 1 1/2 hrs and waiting to get in just to be a part.

Kathleen

princessjojo
06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
The swearing in of new American citizens is something that brings tears to my eyes to see. It is unfortunate that they take their oath and the "privilage" of being American more seriously than many of those who were born here. It should be special to us all equally. :soapbox: I'm off now...

I couldn't think of anywhere better to celebrate something that special.:flag:

PirateLover
06-19-2007, 11:39 PM
I think this is just great. I love that they are celebrating people who do things the right way and become legal citizens. I'm sure the ceremony will be beautiful and moving. And on the 4th of July to boot... I wish them all the best! :flag:

tkbk
06-21-2007, 09:15 PM
YEAH!!!! I will be there, I am sooooooo excited about this. I will video as much as I can, and if possible I can put it somewhere here on intercot!

Dsnygirl
06-22-2007, 08:49 AM
:thumbsup: That is SO great that Disney is doing this... what a neat thing for them to be involved in. Way to go, Disney... :party:

TiggerRPh
06-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I hope we can watch the parade on tv!!!!!:mickey::number1:

This would be great on TV....unfortunately, I doubt that it will be.

This is very cool indeed.

Carol
07-03-2007, 09:23 PM
The ceremony will be available via Webcast.

http://www.disneyparks.com/fourthofjuly

SallyP
07-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for posting this video site Carol. I volunteer at our local Literacy Volunteers of America chapter and we have a Ukrainian student who is becoming a Naturalized Citizen tomorrow at WDW. I had wondered if ABC news would carry it in the morning but this video will be just as good.

John
07-04-2007, 11:12 AM
The ceremony will be Webcast live at http://www.disneyparks.com/fourthofjuly

disneydeb
07-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Makes me proud to be an American and proud to be a Disney fan!:flag: :mickey:

Fantasmic
07-05-2007, 07:42 AM
So very cool!

tkbk
07-07-2007, 11:34 AM
:mickey:Just got back from our WDW TRIP, AND WE WERE THERE FOR HTIS CEREMONY. It was soo awesome, I must have cried at least three or four times. We had a pouring of rain once through the ceremony but it was worth getting drenched, because of course that would be the one day we forgot to pack our ponchos. I FELT SO PROUD to be a part of it nd yes I have most of the ceremony on vido, except for when I had to protect the camera from the down pour.:thumbsup::number1: