PDA

View Full Version : Cali Grill with Kids

MizMissy
06-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Am I crazy?
My DH and I ate a Cali Grill ages ago (pre-kids) and loved it.:cloud9:
This year, we will be in Disney for our anniversary -- with kids in tow, ages 5 and 8. They are used to eating in restuarants, we do it often and they are generally very well behaved. And, I plan on a very low-key day for the day of our Cali Grill ressies.
Has anyone taken their kids to Cali Grill? Is it a no-no? Am I crazy to attempt this?
I considered the kids club thing at AKL, but that seems so very far from CR. I'm nervous about being that far from my kids at Disney and, of course, the extra $$$ for babysitting. Plus, the kids menu looks really good.

offwego
06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
If you can get an ADR for a time when your kids would eat dinner I would say go for it. If the only option is too late for them that might be a different story.

Cali is one of my son's faves and their kids menu is very good. I've never not seen kids when I've gone.

jgt
06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Absolutely take your kids! This is Disney!!! We've taken our (now) 5 year old several times and he's been a typical kid. We've never let him arrive starving and never expected him to eat only grown up food. He's learned to love flat bread as a result.

Enjoy your time and know that Disney is for the kid in all of us!

kgoulash
06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
we took our son at 2 1/2 twice on one trip, he loved it, esp the fireworks and it was nice to be able to walk him outside when he got a bit fidgety
enjoy!

jgt
06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Another thought. Our 5 yo loved the fire works. They pipe in the music and most people actually get up during their meal and go to the veranda to watch the show. Their were lots of kids there! Enjoy....we are going again over LD.

angedeaile
06-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Take the kids!

On my last trip, I took my little brother along, 9yrs, and he LOVED it!

He adored the waitress, who gave him plenty of attention. He loved the food! He gave the kid's pizza :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

He thought it was awesome that our table was close to the kitchen, so he spent most of the time watching them cook.

Not to mention, he loved drawing on the table cloth. We still have it!

He felt just like a grownup and behaved like one too. He was so entertained with everything that the adults were able to carry a conversation with no interruptions.

So I say, as long as your kids are behaved in normal restaurants, definitely treat them to Cali Grill. They will love it!

BTW- there is a dress code for Cali Grill. Just casual dress, khaki pants and button shirt type of thing. I believe jeans, tank tops and swimsuits are frowned upon. I know under InfoCentral there is a link that goes over what is allowed.

DestinationWDW
06-18-2007, 07:54 PM
As mentioned, if your kids will enjoy with you...let them it is Disney!:mickey: My hubby and I usually treat ourselves to a night alone at Cali. Our kids unfortunately are the type that won't last through that type of dinner. We use the Neverland Club at the Poly....a monorail ride away and they enjoy the Peter Pan and Captain Hook atmosphere. (another option, in case you were interested). :blush:

wire0monkey
06-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I tell people that California Grill is the nicest "family" restaurant that I've ever been to. We took a 4 year old and a 19 month old to CG on the last trip. It was great. The kids colored on the paper table cover before dinner. The waiter brought goldfish crackers out in a bowl for them. We walked out on the balconies and looked at the Magic Kingdom and the birds on the lake while we waited for food. The waiters were really understanding and helpful.

jedi jen
06-19-2007, 03:41 PM
I took my DS(8) and DD(4) there to eat and for Wishes twice last summer. We enjoyed it so much we are going twice this summer. There were plenty of kids there.

thejens
06-19-2007, 09:07 PM
You can definitely bring your kids. We brought a 2, 5, and 8 year old last year. I will add that this year, when my sister kept the kids in MK with her, while a few of us lucky grownups snuck off to CG...it was wonderful!!!! We really relaxed, enjoyed a fabulous cheese tray and wine, AND appetizer AND entree AND dessert. It was heaven, and frankly, more fun for the kids too.

Yes, I am one of the ones who voted "gained weight while in the World."