PDA

View Full Version : Geauga Lake Ohio

moobear67
06-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Can anyone give me any information about a trip to Geauga lake amusement park? My husband has to take a class near there, so we thought we'd make a family trip out of it and spend a day or two at the amusement park. Any recommendations on places to stay near there? Anyone ever stayed at the Geauga Lake Hotel? Any other good things to do or see in the area? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

CleveSJM
06-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I sure can. I live 40 minutes away from GL.

It is an Amusement Park for sure, not a theme park although Cedar Fair owns it now so Snoopy and the gang are around. It's best features are water park related. The old Ohio Sea World is part of GL. It's a big water park now without dolphins or killer whale shows. GL has several decent rollercoasters, a bunch of kiddie rides, and overall a good place. Traffic can be tough so arrive early or late.

No real stay recommendations.

Cedar Point is only about 2 hours away from GL. It is the best rollercoaster park in the world. No debate. Good enough other rides but rollercoasters are king there.

The Cleveland Zoo is very nice. Jacob's Field for a Tribe game is also very nice. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is pricy but nice. Cuyahoga Valley NP has some nice hikes and waterfalls. Several "cruise" boats run the Cuyahoga River and near shore Lake Erie. Beautiful on the right summer night for Cleveland nightlights. Great restaurants abound.

Kids? Interests? Time of year? I'd love to help.

moobear67
06-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info! My kids are 11, 9, and 9. We will be travelling at the end of July. Can we do all of Geaugua lake in one day, or would 2 be better, especially if we want to spend some time in the water park section?

CleveSJM
06-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Good water park ages. Definitely older than the baby water park stuff on the GL side of the park, so you won't need much time for that stuff. I guess you can do it all in one day but one day for the water park side and one day on the ride side would be most relaxing. I would suggest avoiding the weekend if you can.

Football HOF is just a couple hours south in Canton. Great for football fans (even Raven fans...;-)

Ruprect
06-19-2007, 07:52 AM
If you're going on a weekday one day should be enough time. You should be able to get all the rides you want done in the evening since weekday crowds are not much at GL (even in the Summer).

One thing you could look up is the Cleveland Metroparks. They have nature centers that are open to the public and plenty of walking and biking trails to do.

If you are looking to do some shopping the Aurora Outlet Mall (Aurora Farms?) is just down the street from GL.

Hope you have fun in Northeast Ohio.

DisneyAddict62
06-19-2007, 09:08 AM
We also lived very close the Geauga Lake, and usually make a yearly trip. I agree with taking a day for the water park side, and a day for the ride side if you have the time. We only go for the day, but can still get everything in most of the time. The worst part is the traffic.