PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #61

King Triton
06-18-2007, 09:10 AM
When you are in a Disney Park, do you carry a mobile phone?

Y100Q62 will also be in Theme Parks, most likely on Tuesday.

For those of you that may have missed it, Question #60 is on the Vacation Planning->Disney Cruise Line board. Here's a link to it:
Year of 100 Questions: #60 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=107651)

PirateLover
06-18-2007, 09:16 AM
I always carry my cell phone. I keep it in my pocket on vibrate mode in case the group I am with splits up. I don't call friends or anything while I'm in the park, I'll only call my grandfather or parents to say goodnight if they are not with me. Cell phones are a great asset for Disney, but you can't let them become a distraction either.

darthmacho
06-18-2007, 09:20 AM
For my first two trips, I didn't even have a cell phone. I had one on my last trip, but didn't use it much because my wife didn't have it. I'm sure we will both have ours on the next trip because it would be a good way to communiicate if separated in the parks. :call:

LibertyTreeGal
06-18-2007, 09:23 AM
I carry them for one reason and one reason only -- my kids have my cell phone number in their pockets and are instructed to hand that sheet of paper to a CM if we somehow get separated. In 8 days of WDW and 3 days of DL it hasn't happened, but it sure gives me peace of mind. Otherwise, it is always on vibrate and I can't think of a reason in the world I would want to have contact with anyone on the outside..... :D

DDuck66
06-18-2007, 09:31 AM
My DW and I each carry our phones. That way if we want to do different things we can stay connected. Also, there is nothing better than calling home to say, "guess where we are? Disney World!!!"

beksy
06-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I carry mine on vibrate in case we get seperated. Also, Mom has a lot of health problems so I always carry it with me so a lot of it is just force of habit--I grab it without even thinking!

Mickey91
06-18-2007, 09:53 AM
We carry ours so we can split up and be able to get back together without someone having to wait an hour on the other. It is a great convenience that I don't know if I could go without, now that we are used to having them. :mickey:

DNS
06-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I feel so much better with mine because I we are just one phone call away if anything happens at home that requires our attention. That has happened more than once on a Disney trip.

pshokie
06-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Wow, I am not sure how to answer this one....

My DW and I did take our cell phones with us last time, and we very lovingly put them in the diaper bag. Placed the diaper bag in the stroller. Then parked the stroller in the stroller-lot. We then set off around the park.

For those following along, yeah, the cell phones were still in the diaper bag, in the stroller, in the stroller-lot. :blush:

So does that count as a yes or a no? :scratch:

snowflakegirl
06-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I carry a cell, but only to communicate with other people in my group if we split up, or to set a reminder alarm for ADRs etc. I don't call anyone while I'm there and I don't answer the phone (unless its from my parents, sister, inlaws, or the person cat sitting for us, because they all know where I am so I figure if they're calling it's because it's an emergency).

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I take my phone with me to Disney, but never take it into the Parks...I leave it in the room, and do use it to call home, check on my Mom, etc.

I just don't see a reason for taking it to the parks...something else to loose, and I really don't want to hear from anyone while I'm there :mickey:

avantgardeinker
06-18-2007, 10:30 AM
When we're on vacation, we're on vacation and there's nothing more damaging to the magic than hearing a cell phone ring and worrying about who might be on the other end. We carry walkie talkies in case we decide to split up in the parks. Once we leave the parks we check the cell phones to see if we've missed any calls from family. Otherwise, it can wait until we get back.

171 more days!!
:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Yes, we take ours with us. This way, if some of our group decides to go off in another direction, we can then reach each other and hook back up. Also, I like to be a pushbutton away from my family that doesn't come with us. But, as others say, I silence it for shows, but I only answer specific calls, others go to voicemail.

DawsonAR
06-18-2007, 10:46 AM
We carry ours in case we want to go different ways we can easily find each other again.

chrisb26
06-18-2007, 10:56 AM
I do carry mine but only for a couple reasons. I never talk on my phone in WDW unless its an emergency. There is really no point. I leave it on vibrate when it is on. I figure that I'm on vacation don't need to talk to people on the phone. The other reason I carry it around is because I always take pictures with the phone then later use it as my wallpaper for the phone. I can switch it all the time so I can be at Epcot one day and Magic Kingdom the next. :D

scottgr
06-18-2007, 10:59 AM
We bring ours for when the groups splits up and want to meet back up. In the past we seemed to have issue picking a time, because one or two people would get stuck on a line for a ride. The rest of the group would be waiting and waiting :thumbsup:

Jared
06-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I feel naked without my cell phone and carry the device everywhere. Actually, I rarely turn my phone off.

My father, mother and brother all have cell phones, and we use them if we are separated in the park.

Tynkerbelle
06-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Like others, we carry our cell phones in case we separate. I also call my family every night to say goodnight when they're not with us.
I like to be accessible in case there's an emergency back home.... We don't call people just to chat....
The other thing we'll use our phones for is some pictures and video when we can't get to the camera/camcorder quick enough...
Right now my background on my cell is Piglet!!

Crow
06-18-2007, 11:23 AM
yes
sometimes i call friends to harass them from a certain attraction so they can hear

4ubie1
06-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I have to clarify my answer of keeping a cell phone on me. I carry one only for the following purposes:
1. In case of an emergency
2. know i am splitting from others in my group and plan to meet up with them later.

Other than that, i don't answer my phone and i keep it on silent or vibrate so as to not bother other people. I hate when people chat with others in the middle of attractions or shows. Talking like there isn't anyone else or anything else going on around them :fit:...Common courtesy is all i ask if people choose to carry one on their vacation. Ok..i am off my :soapbox: now :blush:

BigRedDad
06-18-2007, 11:30 AM
This is a subjective question. If you let kids go off on their own, you want to be able to keep in touch. I would never use one for my normal, non-vacation communications.

Emergencies, check-ups, and vacationing group communication only.

BritCody
06-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I carry one, but I turn it off unless I plan on making a call. Last year we went with 20 plus people and the after the first day of everybody calling every 5 seconds I couldn't take it. So I turned off my phone!!

Pocahontas
06-18-2007, 12:40 PM
My husband brings his cell phone because he can't seem to just leave work completely behind. My DD and I carry our cell phones so we can find each other again when going different directions.

MickeyandTink
06-18-2007, 01:51 PM
We used to have just one "family" cell phone, mainly used by DW :tink:, to use whenever one of us was out of town. It really came in handy when my car went off the road about 10 miles from the nearest town during a snowstorm last year.

Anyway, we just bought a second "pre-paid" phone to take with us on our trip so that we can keep in touch in case we get separated or choose to split up for awhile. We may never use it, but for the $20 cost it is nice peace of mind. Other than that, I'm going to try and avoid using the cell (at least while we're in the park).

WDWfeelslikehome
06-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I voted no, when DW and I are there alone we leave the phones and real world locked up back at the car or room. We check it in the morning just to see if family had called. Although this past X-mas we had six family members at WDW, so we did carry our phones, only to talk to each other and coordinate some plans, no "outside the magic" calls were answered.

indytraveler
06-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I carry b/c our group splits up. It's more like a pager system. No business!

wedway fan
06-18-2007, 03:15 PM
voted yes- can't beat leaving someone a voice mail of the monorail "please stand clear of the doors" mantra. picture messages are good for taunting, as well.

heart4princephillip
06-18-2007, 05:00 PM
We like to carry ours just in case we want to split up for a ride or two.

I also typed in the ADR confirmation numbers in the calendar of my phone, as well as an alarm set to remind us.

dteed
06-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Always carry, never answer, phone call to a friend just to let him know where I am and he is not.

snifflesmcg
06-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't know why anyone WOULDN'T carry it:confused:. My cell phone is there for the "just in case" factor. It's just my BF and I so we have no group or kids to worry about. Put aside the emergency factor, I have a device that has the time, date, an alarm for possibly an ADR, a calculator, a camera and video camera. With all the other stuff that people bring in with them, this is one item I would never leave behind.

laward32
06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
We always carry ours with us. That way if we want to split up we can call when we are ready to meet up again. Plus my husband and dad always play golf in the morning. This way they can call when they are done and meet us for lunch.
I also take pictures with my phone, so its handy to have around.:mickey:

312 days and counting!!!:blush:

2Epcot
06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
We had a large group on our last visit so we carried them to keep track of everybody. Sometimes people wanted to leave the hotel later then others. In the parks we used two-ways most of the time.

kathiep
06-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I always have the phone available. I do not use it to communicate with anyone outside Disney. I really don't want to remember that the real world exists.

It just makes splitting up and re-grouping so much easier.

GrmGrninGost
06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes, we carry our cell phones. We put them on vibrate and use them as communication in case our party splits up. We do not take outside calls as a rule. It has come in very handy since our DS has gotten older and likes to ride the thrill rides with me. DW and DD don't do most of these rides, so we often split up for an hour or two. Since you're not sure how long a ride or two will take, it makes it easier to get back together.:mickey:

mainemajor
06-18-2007, 08:40 PM
i have mine at the hotel in case we want to call home. when i'm at disney parks i do not have it. no need. i'm on vacation:mickey:

Magic Smiles
06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
We do not carry cell phones while in WDW as we are from Canada and would have to pay long distance fees to use them there.

mainemajor
06-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Here is a post that could go under most annoying thing at Disney, too. If only everyone with a cell phone would have it on vibrate and did not feel the need to talk all the time. How many times have you been in line or watching something when someone's phone goes off and of course they need to talk and talk and talk. People who have to talk on their phones ALL THE TIME. Come on people enjoy where you are and respect others around you.

KAT1811
06-19-2007, 07:16 AM
I feel naked without my cell phone and carry the device everywhere. Actually, I rarely turn my phone off.

I agree with you completely!!! Actually mine is NEVER off! 24 hours a day -7 days a week - 365 days a year! I'm a slave to technology.

With that being said most of the time DH is not with us for some portion of our trip (have to love business) and this allows him to check in from time to time. Plus when he is there the guys go golfing many mornings and meet up with us in the afternoon so they just give me a quick buzz and we let them know where we are so that they can join us!

Spaceship Tigger
06-19-2007, 07:34 AM
We have one with us, but only to call back home once or twice during a trip and avoid the insane room call charges. It's never turned on if we have it in the parks.

LandFan
06-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Yep - I don't have conversations on it though - it is purely for emergency communications - if someone is going to be late meeting somewhere.

Generally we know when and where we will meet already but unforseen things can pop up and this enables the waiting party to have some more fun and not waist their time waiting if someone got held up by a parade or something.:mickey: It keeps the magic going better than sitting and waiting:thumbsup:

DizNee143
06-19-2007, 10:41 AM
i voted for having my cell with me...theres no real reason as to why i do...where i go..i always try to remember to bring my phone with me!!! (i forget every now and then..lol)
i use to make calls and obviously receive calls..and itsmy source of time since i dont wear watches!!..so ya..dont really know what the big deal is with cells...but i do know its a VERY touchy subject here on Intercot!!!!!!!

biodtl
06-19-2007, 11:49 AM
My kids are 7 years apart in age, so we do a bit of splitting up for rides. We'd spend half our day searching for each other without them. We keep them on vibrate, though.

Figment78
06-19-2007, 01:13 PM
I try not to! Right now, it's just me and DH, so no kids to keep track of. However, last trip, I had it with me one day and they actually called me with a problem at work. Good that I was able to help, bad that I had to think about work on vacation! Cell phone stayed in the room the rest of that trip!

January-2007
06-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I do not carry a cell phone with me at Walt Disney World. It stays in the hotel room.

loonieroonie
06-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Last time I went to WDW I brought my cell phone with me. It has been years since I was on vacation and was afraid to leave the thing in the hotel room. I ended up working while in the park. I pulled over to the side, where no one was and negotiated a deal, spoke with my sellers, the buyers, etc... I was so angry with myself for bringing the phone with me. It never stopped vibrating I wanted to throw it in the lake. Next trip to WDW is the end of this year. NO CELL PHONE for me.

Belle--86
06-19-2007, 05:58 PM
We carry our cell phones so when we split up we can find each other---our DD's our 5 and 13--so they like different things, so my DH and I split up. Also DD (15) who isn't going , we can keep in touch. Of course we have them on viberate.

DizneyFreak2002
06-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I carry a cell phone with me at all times when in WDW....

princessjojo
06-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Before cell phones became second nature to everyone, we used to use the motorola walkie-talkies. But the fact that everyone was on the same frequency became really annoying and you really couldn't communicate with anyone too well. It made for a really insane afternoon trying to find someone.

Now, we all have our cell phones in case we are seperated or have an emergency. Typically, we don't talk with anyone, but my neice and nephew do like to know where we are at any given moment while we are there :call:. They will call just to ask and that is the only real call we will take while at the parks. Other than that, it just vibrates away in our pockets, no ringing allowed while in the parks or at ANY meal.

rachburch
06-19-2007, 08:11 PM
yes... so DH and I can find each after I've separated to get FPs.

Polynesian Dweller
06-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Nope. Leave it in the room. I'm on vacation and the world will still get along without me. :smickey:

Pop Centurion
06-19-2007, 11:43 PM
I always carry mine also. In case of emergency or if family needs to contact me. I also call friends sometime to tease them because I'm in WDW. :thedolls:

johnO
06-20-2007, 01:51 PM
We don't carry phones to keep in touch w/ the outside world. We have nextels to stay in contact w/ eachother while inside the park if we get seperated.

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes but only for Emergencies! Like calling my mom to brag that i'm in WDW and she's not! LOL
:goofy:

CuteAsMinnie
08-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Nahhh.... leave the cell phone in the room. DH will be calling the office while waiting line, I promise you!:(

squishy445
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I always have at least one phone with us for emergencies, and to call and brag that we are at Disney for the day.

MinnieMommie
08-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I usually travel with a large group and yes we all carry our cells. Best way to communicate with each other and meet up. :mickey:

Sinewiz
08-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Cell phone is always on. I'm generally in a group who prefers to do some things apart, but still likes to get together for others.