PDA

View Full Version : Toys with no replaceable battery

Lizzie
06-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Not sure where to ask this question. But we bought a stuffed Squirt (little turtle from finding Nemo) on our last trip to DW. He was for our 7 month old girl (at the time). And he used to talk but now he is dead. It says the batteries are not replaceable. And there is no spot. You can feel the piece inside of him. Has anyone ever taken anything like this apart and got it to work. My mom sews and can stitch him back togethor but is there any point in trying too.

Any suggestions. My one thought is to buy a new one and try to take the old one apart to see if it is even possible. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this.

LibertyTreeGal
06-18-2007, 05:09 AM
I would wager that the reason batteries are not replaceable is because it has none, so to speak -- in that the power supply is not a battery unit, per se. In many toys that are squishy, and meant to be loved a lot, they have moved away from batteries so that there will be no chance of acid leakage within the toy itself.

Just a thought. :mickey: I'd buy a new one and see if she accepts it.

DizneyRox
06-18-2007, 05:40 AM
I like taking things apart and seeing how they work. You might be in for a challenge on this though. It sould be some sort of sealed device to prevent the above mentioned acid leakage. It could also be that they saved money and just soldered the battery in place, so you might need to desolder and resolder in a replacement battery. Finding a replacement might be hard if you can read the battery type through the solder as well.

It's worth a shot, I would get a new one if you can and then attempt working on the old one.

Lizzie
06-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the advise. I think I will defanetly have to look into something.

JPL
06-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Chances are it is a watch battery in there. I have never taken one a part but I do remember seeing some of those for sale in a craft place it said make you stuffed toy sing and it had a little black box and a wire with button and it said uses standard watch batteries. They also one with lights. So it maybe worth a shot opening it up to have a look. The things you find when you are trapped in a store you have no interest in being at ;)