PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Hoopla

thejens
06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Just curious, does anyone like the Star Wars Hoopla? I was shocked that WDW would do something so non-kid friendly and second rate. Many other parents in the crowd felt the same way, several were expecting fire works or other special effects. It was also extremely crowded and made worse by a last minute rope drop where unsuspecting parents were suddenly separated from kids who more easily surged forward. Many parents were quite panicked. I was annoyed that our "spots" we had been waiting at for over an hour had vanished. My 3 year old saw none of the show due to poor visibility. (this may have turned out to be a good thing.) The kids really coudn't relate to the 70s disco theme and I doubt the adults wanted to stand in this crowd for so long for it. I was disturbed that the "story" that Walt and the Imagineers always try so hard to respect was ruined by the characters coming out of character doing silly disco dances. (yes, this is what the Hoopla was, that's all folks) It would have been okay if Ewoks, droids, and other creatures danced, but Darth Vader dancing to Gloria Raynor really stole away some of the magic from my 9 year old son who had been so awestruck hours before as he trained to be a Jedi. Honestly I felt hurt for him, and cheated by this silly after-thought of a program. I really hope they just stop it if they can't find a true way to honor the Star Wars story. I wish so much I hadn't ruined the mystique for my kids.

Carol
06-18-2007, 07:09 AM
We actually enjoy it.

Star Wars Weekends are for everyone - since the first film is 30 this year!

mystique?? It's supposed to be funny. :scratch:

MMouse6937
06-18-2007, 11:10 AM
It sounds kinda fun to me. I have never actually seen it, but I love anything to do with Star Wars. The way you describe Darth Vader dancing could be a little over the top silly, but I guess that's what all of disney is about sometimes. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.

Goofy Pluto
06-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Ooo-kaaaaaaaaaayyy...

What in the world is Star Wars Hoopla? Darth Vader DANCING? Sounds like a travesty, to me!

:darth:

Dznygrl79
06-18-2007, 05:37 PM
We don't travel during the Star Wars weekends even thogh DH is a huge SW fanatic.
This is the traditional kinda "hoopla" Disney presents according to a fan group we know . They make the yearly pilgrimage. Since it is for all generations of SW fans it happens every year tehy try something for everyone approach. Our friends actualy took video of some of the shows and star sightings I THINK IT WAS NEAT LOOKING.
The lines for merchendise also get out of this world and if you check ebay for the "exclusive" items prices get out of this world its really sad. Oh well hard core star wars fans can always go to Celebration.

psychotekkie
06-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Though I have never been to this Star Wars Hoopla, I agree that it sounds a bit silly. Even though it is probably fun, there are other things they could have done that would appeal to everyone. For example, if they want a dance, how bout getting some gymnist/martial artists to do some cool fighting-styled dance moves with lightsabres. A few flips and cartwheels would probably wow me more than disco moves. (But then, perhaps I'm too young to feel nostalgic for disco. Maybe I would feel different if I grew up in the disco era).

Oh well, to each his own.

thejens
06-18-2007, 08:14 PM
It is really interesting to hear different takes on it. I was curious what other responses were to the hoopla because it was SO different from all the other SW stuff, and so different from Disney's usual approach. They would never have Snow White link arms with the evil queen, or make Bambi do the hustle. The characters always stay in character and it is wonderful that way! Even during the rest of the SWW the great part was that every character stayed in their parts all day (until the hoopla.) Darth Vadar, Sidius, Maul, Annakin the young and brooding, all were terrific, sort of menacing and unnerving. Even minor characters stayed in character. Then, it seemed that they lost their minds and thought they were at a bar or something. I wouldn't have cared if it were held in Down Town Disney over cocktails in a club for those of us that grew up during the 70s. (I still wouldn't have liked it, because to me, age 13 during the first life altering event of the Star Wars premier, it would have been travesty.) But I really thought it was grossly out of place, NOT Disney, and certainly disappointing if not disillusioning for kids who really love seeing the REAL Cinderella or Darth Vader. Sorry I can't seem to stop venting!!!

MOJoe
06-19-2007, 01:05 PM
You have a very interesting impression of the Hoopla. And I cannot disagree with your opinion. But I found it to be a very enjoyable event. I am not the biggest Disco fan, but still i enjoyed hearing Y O D A to the tune of Y M C A. My kids liked the Bounty Hunter dance. And we all yelled for Chewy the Wookie in the dance contest. Luke and Leia dancing to "We are family" was cute, and Darth Vader and Padme dancing to "I will survive" was funny. My son danced with R2D2 in the crowd for a moment. Where else can you do that?
I see your point, but I didn't find the performers to be as much out of character as you suggest. And Star Wars was created during the Disco era. Like it or not.
You are absolutely right about the crowd control. Moving the rope was a mistake. It was packed, and hard to see or move around. But I am very glad I did not miss this event. It did not spoil the illusion for us. I am sorry it did for you.

Mickey'sGirl
06-19-2007, 01:22 PM
:darth: Maybe he was just feeling the force? :D

Goofy Pluto
06-19-2007, 01:29 PM
OK, I'm still not getting what this Star Wars Hoopla thing is. Can someone spell it out for me? Thanks.

Carol
06-19-2007, 02:08 PM
OK, I'm still not getting what this Star Wars Hoopla thing is. Can someone spell it out for me? Thanks.It's the show done at the end of the day at MGM, during Star Wars Weekends.

ToDisney
06-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Ooo-kaaaaaaaaaayyy...

What in the world is Star Wars Hoopla? Darth Vader DANCING? Sounds like a travesty, to me!

:darth:
We stumbled into the last day of SWW one year. My kids thought it was really cool. We even planned to come back last year to do one of the Jedi training sessions.
I don't know what this "hoopla" was, but it doesn't sound like something we would have liked. I totally agree about actors staying in character. I'm sorry your day ended this way.
Other than this I hope you had a good trip!:mickey:

ccchild
06-19-2007, 10:39 PM
HOOPlA!!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist! :eek2:)

dolphinmickey9170
06-19-2007, 11:52 PM
I've never seen it, and I don't think I would stick around for it either. My dad forced me to see SW when I was a child, 1978, didn't like it then, don't like it now.

Mackflava99
06-20-2007, 01:21 AM
I went sunday and we had such a blast with all the Star wars characters-
My wife isnt a Star wars fan, but my kids are and we all had fun- whether it was my wife mocking us for wanting a pix with Darth Maul or us coaxing her to take a pix with a Gammorean .
I was very impressed with everything and also the accesibility of everyone, despite the crowds.
Other attractions like Playhouse Disney were not crowded, so it was actually a slightly different crowd distribution.

thejens
06-22-2007, 11:42 AM
The hoopla is a little stage show near Star Tours at the end of the day. It is not a big deal like other shows. Basically some "comics" dressed as space creatures try to liven up the crowd and then some of the Star Wars characters come out and dance to disco songs. I definitely expected too much. It is a standing only event and is crowded. If you get there early for a spot you need to be very assertive when they do the rope drop or you will lose your space. My thoughts: It might be enjoyable for adults who remember the disco era. It can be disillusioning for kids (and adults who like to pretend it is real) to see the Star Wars characters camp it up and boogie out of character. It was not what we expected and even if you are not as annoyed as I am, I don't think it is worth wasting valuable park time on unless you happen to be walking by when it happens.