PDA

View Full Version : what do you think

dopeydude
06-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I know that a lot of people enjoy the swiss family robinson tree house, but there are never many people there. What do you think whould be put in the place of this attraction?
I do enjoy sfrth but it seems a little outdated and not to many younger people even know what it is about.

Donald A
06-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I am 31 and loved the movie as a kid. It is a true classic. However, I can see your point about younger people. To be honest I rarely go on it. Something to consider is if it really takes that much space. I don't know if they can make enough room by tearing it down to replace it with something that would be worth seeing.

dixielandings
06-17-2007, 06:51 PM
I would PICKET if they did away with this attraction! Too many of the standards are disappearing - 20K, Mr. Toad...If kids don't know what it's all about, then we should show them the film - it's great! Besides, no kid today knows there even was such a film as Song of the South but would WDW replace Splash Moutain?

Raye3201
06-17-2007, 07:33 PM
I have to agree with dixielandings. We love the SFR treehouse - I have seen it very busy, but like the TTA since it is a continual walkthrough the line keeps moving.
My DD (8) and DS (7) really like it. It's tradition to see the treehouse and then stop for a dole whip. I hope Disney never changes the treehouse, personally! Wish I was there right now!:mickey:

2Epcot
06-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I never visit this attraction. I don't think I've gone through this since I was a kid. In Disneyland they changed it to Tarzan's tree house several years ago. I believe the reason was to make it more relatable to kids. I've visited a couple of times, but it has still been a very long time since I've done that too.

DisneyFreak23
06-17-2007, 07:55 PM
We go through it once a trip, but personally i could go without, but it is pretty cool... i guess...:mickey:

Goofy Texan
06-17-2007, 08:18 PM
What if they built some long twisting tubes off the top of it disguised as vines. As you near the top a castmember hands you a gunny sack and you slide down one of the tube/vines.

-- or you could bungee jump off it! :thumbsup:

Lizzie
06-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Now that you mention this attraction. Have they done any remakes of this recently? I love the original and still watch it. I think our last visit was the only one we didn't walk through it. This was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

Pirate Princess
06-18-2007, 02:46 AM
:stitch2:
I would PICKET if they did away with this attraction! Too many of the standards are disappearing - 20K, Mr. Toad...If kids don't know what it's all about, then we should show them the film - it's great! Besides, no kid today knows there even was such a film as Song of the South but would WDW replace Splash Moutain?

I agree with this, Disney is more into all the new movies now. :stitch2: They have cut out a lot of things, I was never on Mr. Toad's ride and now I might never. But on the other hand I dont find this attration very fun, they at least could make it not just a walk through. I aways thought it was a interactive tree, like kids could play and pretend they lived in a tree house like the family. I walk through the tree the last time i was at disney and found it stupid but its an icon that can't be replaced.

LibertyTreeGal
06-18-2007, 05:15 AM
I solved the problem of kids not knowing about it in my family -- we bought the movie! It truly is a great boy's movie -- my 6 year olds love it. I bought it when they were 4, right before we went for their first trip. I would hate to see them change it -- I still hate that DL changed it. Why on earth would I rather see a plastic Tarzan instead of hearing that beloved organ music?

And why should everything be about being understandable to young people? Walt knew that everyone is a kid, and the 40 and over crowd have every bit as much a right to nostalgia as the under 20's have to current-movie oriented thrills and chills.

crazypoohbear
06-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Personally I don't like it, neither do my kids...
I don't think they should do away wtih it though. It makes great shade to sit and eat our dole whips:secret:

ibrowse17
06-18-2007, 09:03 AM
I wanted to build a tree house just like that one when we got home from our first trip...Love it:thumbsup:

Juniorunc2001
06-18-2007, 09:24 AM
The music is nice, and it has some great views
keep it!

JENNEB
06-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Having just got back, I say keep it. It's a tradition in our family dating back to the orginal in Disneyland. My DB2 who is 25 made it a point to say we had to do it, because it's one of his favorites both as a movie and as an attraction.

Disney Doll
06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I really like it although it's not something I do every trip. It's a lot of climbing for little ones and anyone with health problems.

DawsonAR
06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I love this attraction. It is one of my first memories of our trip in 1979. :mickey:

wedway76
06-18-2007, 12:15 PM
I loved it when I was a kid. I remember wanting to take my time to really enjoy it back then, but it was crowded. You had to keep the line moving. Nowadays you can often take all the time you want. One nigh during EMH I believe my son ad I were the only people in the tree. We usually take one walk up there per trip.

I don’t LOVE it, but I’m a sucker for the classics. It doesn’t seem to require much maintenance; it doesn’t need any cast members to run it; and it doesn’t seem to take up much real estate; so I say keep it.

SBETigg
06-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I think they could remake Swiss Family Robinson, the movie, and breathe new life into it, with maybe a few updates on the treehouse to match.

Pocahontas
06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I love the tree house; however, it's one attraction I only go through once on each trip. If they put something in its place I wouldn't be as sad as I was when they did away with Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

MickeyandTink
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
What if they built some long twisting tubes off the top of it disguised as vines. As you near the top a castmember hands you a gunny sack and you slide down one of the tube/vines.

Having grown up in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I remember going to Six Flags as a kid and going down the giant slides on the big orange oil derrick. They took them out years ago, but it's one of those nostalgia things that I wish they hadn't. They really were a lot of fun.

I've never been a big fan of the SFR treehouse or the movie, but it could be really cool if they did put some slides on it.

Disney_Barbie
06-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Something to consider is if it really takes that much space. I don't know if they can make enough room by tearing it down to replace it with something that would be worth seeing.

I admit, I also have not been on it for at least 10 years or so. But Donald A brings up a VERY good point, it takes up such little space that if they did take it down they would probably leave the space empty, or put a small shop or something, so might as well leave it as is.

But hey, I just had a thought (I know the ACTUAL swiss robinson space would not be big enough AND I'm not saying I would like them to take Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse down) but I think a SFR Treehouse resturant would be cool! Overlooking Adventureland, amlost like a RainForeset Cafe but up the air - I think that would be cool!
But I'm always rooting for more Table Service Resturants in the Magic Kindom, I don't like buffets, so once you edit thouse out, I feel like there is slim pickings

dopeydude
06-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I think they should make another potc restaurant or put in some sort of cool restaurant

wedway fan
06-18-2007, 09:07 PM
a friend gave my boys (5 and 4 at the time) a copy of "swiss family robinson" a few years back. after about six months on the bookshelf, it got into the nighttime book rotation as their first "chapter book", and is now their favorite story. we've been through it cover to cover probably 5 or 6 times at least, and until we started reading the birnbaum kids book to plan our trip next year, the boys had no idea there even was a movie, much less an attraction at WDW.

they're so excited now to walk through the treehouse that the robinson boys lived in. i'm with the traditionalists here- i hope they never tear it down. not only is it a good link to WDW's past, it's an attraction that can steer your kids toward something even better- a good book.

mainemajor
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
I have not gone through/on this in at least 10 years. There is just not much to it. I love the movie, but this does not do the movie any justice at all. If it were to be replaced I would not miss it at all.
I asked my boys 19 & 21 about it and they felt the same way.
As with anything of an old fashion/traditional many would miss it if it were to be gone, not us

septembergirl
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I had 2 of my sons read the book and watch the movie before our last trip. I was excited to take them on it because I remember it being a big deal to me on my first trip at 8. The line was so long we ended up skipping it and I never let my parents forget it:shake:! The ironic part is, when I did finally get to go on it, I was terrified because of the height:blush:! The kids were really unimpressed :wait: even after the book and movie (which they really enjoyed).
These kids today...

WDWdreamer87
07-09-2007, 01:33 AM
I agree that keeping the treehouse would work, but updating it into something like Tarzan would make it seem out of place. PotC and Jungle Cruise are both original Walt rides, and to have them next to Tarzan would be kinda awkward, like having Aladdin's Magic Carpets in front of Jungle Cruise. :sick:

Butttt...like some people mentioned, re-inventing the story into a new movie OR just bringing back out could possibly make it popular again.
I just know I have skipped it every trip.

PeterPanFan
07-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Close that bad boy. I never go on it and turn it into the Jungle book some how!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
My kids have watched the movie and I have read the book to them. My older son read it on his own in school this year. The love both the book and movie. They are almost 10 and 7. :thumbsup:

We go up in the tree house every trip at least once. My DD has not watched the movie. She is 3 but, she loves the attraction.

Just make sure you don't get behind us in September because she insists on walking up and down by herself and those little legs just don't go too fast. ;)

biodtl
07-09-2007, 09:03 AM
It's not a "must-do" for us, but we do try to hit it once per trip. I would probab'y be sad to see it go, but purely for nostalgia reasons rather than because it's an awesome attraction.