PDA

View Full Version : The Theme Park Weight Gain/Loss

dolphinmickey9170
06-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Here is a question for you all to ponder....

When walking for days and days in the theme parks do you find that you......

Gain weight

Lose weight

Stay the same

Just curious because I managed to lose even though we were on the DDP and ate things that I would normally pass over because of the calories.

celestesmommie
06-17-2007, 11:02 AM
hubby and I both came home a pants size smaller last year:thumbsup:

DisneyFreak23
06-17-2007, 11:40 AM
I think i actually gain a little when i go because of all the food. but it probably is evened out with all the walking.

Jared
06-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I return from a Walt Disney World vacation even. The food and walking somehow cancel each other.

princessimagineer
06-17-2007, 01:34 PM
eat a lot - then walk it off :mickey:

EvilQueen2006
06-17-2007, 01:34 PM
I was very worried about gaining weight last time I went. I had recenty lost about 25 pounds and being on the DDP I was terrified of gaining weight back. I did put on a couple pounds, but I guess all the walking evened out all the extra calories.

DNS
06-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I eat a lot more at Disney, but usually stay about the same from all the walking. I eat a lot of sweet treats when there, but do not do that as much at home. I have to say though, one of these days those Dole Whips are going to catch up to me.:(

Speedy1998
06-17-2007, 04:17 PM
I have to say though, one of these days those Dole Whips are going to catch up to me.:(

Not so sure about that. I am pretty sure that Dole Whips are mostly Juice.

browneyedgirl12
06-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Although I don't jump on the scale when I get home I think I lose weight because I eat about the same amount at WDW as I do at home (but its mostly sweet treats) plus the walking I try to make healthy choices but who can resist the mickey ears :bar: and turkey legs :eat:???

Donald Duck 224
06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Gain wait... i walk a lot, but i eat even more..:secret:

Disneyfamilyoffive
06-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Here is a question for you all to ponder....

When walking for days and days in the theme parks do you find that you......

Gain weight

Lose weight

Stay the same

Just curious because I managed to lose even though we were on the DDP and ate things that I would normally pass over because of the calories.

We seem to stay about the same, we eat more than normal, but we are exercising more than normal as well.

Pop Centurion
06-17-2007, 07:34 PM
I have eaten insane amounts of food the past two years during the free DDP promotion but never put on any extra weight. The exercise you get from walking all day must definitely burn off all those calories.

tinksmom02
06-17-2007, 07:44 PM
My jeans were definitely a little looser after our trip. We ate a lot on the DDP, but we walked even more! I managed to lose a few pounds. Unfortunately, the weight loss was temporary...as soon as I came home, it came back! :(

PirateLover
06-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I managed to lose 5 lbs on our last trip, despite being on the DDP and utilizing it to the fullest extent. :thumbsup:

serstar87
06-17-2007, 08:17 PM
One of the things that my mother and I look forward to when going to Disney World is that somehow we always manage to lose around 5 lbs when we go. It's just one more reason why i love Disney World. :number1:

CaptSmee
06-17-2007, 08:52 PM
hubby and I both came home a pants size smaller last year:thumbsup:

A pants size from a WDW vacation??? Is that physically possible??? For me to lose a pants size it's taken me over 30 pounds!!!

thejens
06-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh, my! I am so jealous of you weight losers! But I must say I LOVE the dining plan and mickey mouse rice krispy treats. I find that I tend to gain 4-5 lbs every week long vacation I take, but lose it quickly on return since I generally do not pig-out like I do on vacation. I did find that I gained less at WDW than similar length vacations, probably due to all the walking! I am sure I could do better, but all the yummy buffets...

celestesmommie
06-17-2007, 09:03 PM
it was about 10 lbs(we have very quick metabolisms). Our pants were falling off by the end of the trip. it was June/July for 15 days. Open park , close park and we would eat very little(maybe one meal a day and a few healthy snacks). I think we sweated half of it off. I'll let you know how we did this year when we get back in July

Disney Yankee
06-17-2007, 09:59 PM
:mickey:We always feel that with all the walking and running around that we stay the same... even if we enjoy the best of Disney.:beer::high5:

Disneypixie513
06-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I probably gain a few pounds..

mttafire
06-17-2007, 10:30 PM
I stay the same. I try to work out a few times a week every week. While at Disney the increase in calorie intake is offset by the TREMENDOUS amount of walking.:thumbsup:

Lizzie
06-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I think I stay the same. I eat a little more but the walking evens it out.

Namine'
06-17-2007, 11:47 PM
I think I stay the same. All the walking helps.

ToDisney
06-18-2007, 01:06 AM
I have to admit I am surprised at the people that lose weight.
I 'm just happy that i stay the same.
I eat the whole time we are there.
I can't wait for the first :bar:, it is usually around 10 A.M. on the 1st day, then don't forget the funnel cakes in EPCOT and the Dole Whips, oh and of course :eat:Ghiradelli's Hot Fudge Sundee...:cloud9:

Sorry, I got carried away.:blush:

Morpheous
06-18-2007, 05:48 AM
I tend to lose weight my self. I dont eat as much when im in the park as when im at home.. So when I splurge food wise in WDW Its probably still less calories then I get at home.. and all the walking around and what not is a pretty good work out.. Plus.. Its good on the pocketbook.. We tend to split our lunches and msot meals so we have alot more to spend at the fancy dinners! :thumbsup:

little disney lovers
06-18-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm sure I start oinking in the parks! All that yummy food! I figure I'm on vacation and I don't want to miss any experience. That includes Mickey ice-creams, Taffy, Churro's, Popcorn and Hot chocolates at the fireworks!
You can always lose it when you get home!
:mickey:

BritCody
06-18-2007, 06:44 AM
With the DDP I know I gained weight last year. Even with all of the walking, I still put on a few pounds. But hey I was on vacation!!!

RAIDER
06-18-2007, 07:58 AM
I basically have a desk job and do very little exercise ...So when i go to Florida with all the walking and swimming etc i have always lost weight :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
06-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I tend to lose weight also. We do so much walking and drink so much water!
You know... the things you should be doing on a regular basis at home but don't!:blush:

This will be the second time with the dining plan but normally we bring our own snacks, (granola bars, small snack bags etc)
We generally eat one counter service and maybe another big snack and that's it for the day.
Even on the dining plan we ususally get salad or shrimp cocktail for an app.
Walking, drinking water and sweating like the three little pigs in the summer heat works.
If only we could keep the weight off back at home:blush:

SoaringEpcot
06-18-2007, 09:21 AM
When we went in June 2005 I lost about 10 lbs. It was a good thing I took a belt with me or I would have been tugging up my pants all week. But like the other posters on here I gained it back with in 2 or 3 weeks of returning home. Even though we drink plenty of water while at the parks its hard to keep up with what the heat and humidity take out of you.

Ian
06-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I mostly stay the same. I may vary a few pounds in either direction, but nothing significant.

All the walking is good exercise, but all the food makes up for it!

beksy
06-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I stay about the same. It has to be all that walking because I Love to eat and pig out the entire trip (especially on sweets!) so if not for the exercise, I would come back GAINING a pants size! :blush:

Mickey91
06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
We usually stay the same. Even with eating well on the DDP all week, we walk so much I guess it balances out.:mickey:

moe513
06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
gain weight because I eat too much.

llamaface
06-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Gain wait... i walk a lot, but i eat even more..:secret:

DITTO!!!:blush:

DawsonAR
06-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I always watch what I eat and exercise. However at Disney, I eat whatever I want. I usually gain a pound per day. Not good, since it takes me a while to get it back off. Oh well, it is worth it! :thumbsup:

Pocahontas
06-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Like so many others I eat more but exercise it off with all the walking. So I said 'stay the same'.

wedway76
06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
A few years back I joined a gym, worked out 5 days a week and watched every calorie that I ate. I lost 45 lbs (20 kg) over about 18 months. For the next several months I couldn’t lose another ounce. I stayed at the 45 lb plateau. That November we went to WDW for 10 days and I went off my diet. I tried to eat healthy, but I wasn’t nearly as vigilant as when I was at home. When I got home I weighed myself thinking that I surely put a few lbs back on, but I had lost an additional 8 lbs. I was thrilled!

For me, a long day of walking seems to work a lot better than running on a treadmill for 50 minutes every day.

Disney_Barbie
06-18-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm a gain-er also (btw, I'm quite jealous of those of you who loose) Since Disney is all fantasy, I eat like I'm in a fantasy, things I would NEVER imagine eating at home, French Fries, Ice Cream, Churros, Margaritas, Pop Corn, anything I want. And although we walk a LOT in Disney, I'm a big walker at home too

LoriMistress
06-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I lost 5-10lbs on our last trip. And I ate a lot more than I normally would on vacation. I lost about 5lbs when I went to DLR. But, I think the majority of the weight loss was due from all the walking.

indytraveler
06-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I find that I'm snacking constantly, so it's good to be walking around.

Mrs Grumpy
06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
I lost weight!! Only a couple of pounds but considering we were on the dining plan I was thrilled. All our other vacations when we go to someplace other than WDW I always gain a bunch.

GrmGrninGost
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
We stay about the same. I guess the walking balances out the DDP eating!:mickey:

psychotekkie
06-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I managed to lose 5 lbs on our last trip, despite being on the DDP and utilizing it to the fullest extent. :thumbsup:

You lost 'em. I found 'em.

princessjojo
06-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I probably gained a couple pounds at the most during our last trip. DH said though that he gained 10lbs thanks to the DDP. He is very active in his normal life, so the walking he does during the park days isn't quite the same as he would get at home. Worst thing is he is a BIGGGGG eater. You would think it was his last meal and he was making the most of it. What makes me mad though, he is still in good shape, assuming round is a good shape :blush:. Not overly round tough.

rnin02
06-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Last year I managed to gain a few pounds, I can't remember the other years. With the DDP, even with walking all the time, it just doesn't even out for me!

Cinderelley
06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Just remember that gaining weight might not be a bad thing. If you exercise very little at home, and walk a lot at Disney, you may be gaining muscle - which weighs more than fat. Pay more attention to size, not weight.

glenpreece
06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
When we went with the dining plan I gained weight and when we drove down the year before I gained weight. When I go solo I tend to lose a bit or come back the same. This time although we have the dining plan i am not eating all 3 courses.

Goes4FastPass
06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
We eat a little more but we walk a lot.

Some of this depends on how you define having fun. Disney is a business and they're willing to sell you healthy food or junk food. My wife always hits the fruit stand near the Kilamanjaro Safari.

For some people, vacation includes a vacation from any sort of sensible eating.

disneycouple2004
06-21-2007, 01:22 PM
DW and I both gained..but only about 1 or 2 pounds..we were on the DDP...and we always indulge in extras while we are there..all in all its worth it to us..:D

conorsmom2000
06-21-2007, 01:42 PM
I mostly stay the same, which I'm very happy about, considering I do eat a little more and have more dessert than I would at home! :mickey: I'd probably lose a pound or two if I could resist my favorite frozen drink at the WL....but, since it's vacation, that's impossible! :D :marg:

LandFan
06-21-2007, 04:39 PM
We usually gain a little weight but this time I think we will lose weight because we will both have had gastric bypass surgery before going this fall...

Hull-onian
06-21-2007, 07:13 PM
I think my weight gain is due to :mickey:'s Premium Ice Cream Bar. Yumo!!!!!:thumbsup:

KAT1811
06-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I have eaten insane amounts of food the past two years during the free DDP promotion but never put on any extra weight. The exercise you get from walking all day must definitely burn off all those calories.

:ditto:

As I sit here numb from my latest dose of physical torture (AKA - Sculpt and Shred, AKA - exercise) I can't wait for our WDW vacation, the appetizers, desserts, snacks, ice cream, dole whips, sangrias, margaritas, etc. I tend to watch what I eat and am trying to perfect my body after giving birth to our third child. So, I would certainly be in the category of those who think that a vacation is also a vacation from any type of sensible eating. You certainly won't catch me eating a salad in WDW!!! With all of that said I tend to stay the same I guess all the walking and touring commando pays off. I guess toting around three children doesn't hurt either!!!

dolphinmickey9170
07-01-2007, 12:45 PM
View Poll Results: Do you gain/lose weight while at WDW

39 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2762) Gain weight 27.86%

37 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2762) Lose weight 26.43%

64 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2762) Stayed the same 45.71%

I guess it was pretty close for those who gain and/or lose.

But It was a true landslide of those who stay the same. I guess the neverending walking takes off the extra calories we intake while at the world.

Thanks everyone for taking part.

40 more days and I will be losing, I hope....:secret:

Camping Mom
07-02-2007, 10:57 PM
I usually stay the same or might even lose a pound, but I come home with calves of steel!! All that walking is soooo good for you!!

celestesmommie
07-08-2007, 09:29 PM
just got back yesterday morning from 12 days in the world, grand total lost: 6 pounds. not as good as last year but it could have been worse, i could have gained

septembergirl
07-08-2007, 10:43 PM
I lost 5 lbs. on our last trip but had been dieting and exercising a good bit for a couple of months beforehand anyway. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but we certainly did indulged in some treats while we were there :blush:.

IloveDisney71
07-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Until the invention of the dining plan, I used to maintain the same weight. However, the last time I ate on the dining plan (for 7 days) I gained 5 pounds. We opened the parks and closed them down, in between hitting the water parks and resort pool...so even with all the extra exercise I should have limited my desserts or appetizers. BUT it was worth it!:eat:

caryrae
07-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I said stay the same because of all the food and beer tasting at Epcot.

Does anyone know about how many miles on average you would walk if you went to each of the 4 parks 1 day each?

DessertDivaFL
07-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Gain weight? Yes I have. Lost weight? Yes I have. Stay the same? Yes I have.

I guess that means I am a mess. :crazy:

countrycharmer
07-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I agree....with all the walking, etc., you tend to lose a little, you make it even with all the food, drinks, snacks, etc., so you end even....too bad our wallets did not leave the same way!!

texasteacher
07-23-2007, 04:55 PM
I always gain 4-5 lbs. In December, I am going back - this time with the DDP! This worries me a little!

ImagiAsh
07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
I eat just about the same amount of food in Disney as I do at home, so I tend to lose weight. I actually dropped 6 pounds from my trip last week. :D

rjbarker
07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I gained 8 pounds from being on the DDP in January! I don't usually eat that much (my bf and I will usually share a meal) so when we were on the DDP, we were both eating an appetizer, entree and dessert at every meal plus snacks. My bf didn't gain any weight but at 6'1" he never does. Me, on the other hand (at 4'11") will gain weight just by smelling food it seems like!

MouseManiac
07-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Ahhhh... I bet the weight loss/gain has EVERYTHING to do with the dining plan!

Last year no dining plan, and I walked and sweated my not so little butt off...Ok, well a smidgen of my butt anyway!:blush:

This year, Dining plan... guess I can throw my "Disney Diet" right out the window! :eat: