PDA

View Full Version : "harnesses" on young children

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I don't know what these things are called, but I've seen plenty of parents walking around the parks with a harness type thing on young children. It's basically like a leash that you attach to the child's upper body, and you can always hang onto the leash and know where your child is.

I used to think these things were terrible, but now that I have a two year old, I'd rather have a leash looking thing on her than have her lost in MAJOR Disney crowds - too stressful for all of us!!

What's your opinion on those leash things?
What exactly are they?
Where can you get them?

Lizzie
06-16-2007, 08:53 PM
It depends on your child. Some kids will walk and hold your hand others its a constant battle.

I have seen them at anyplace you can get baby supplies. My neices have ones with an animal that straps to their back and their tail is what you hold on to.

You can get a harness type or ones that just connect to their wrist.

r4kids
06-16-2007, 08:54 PM
If you would have asked me when my oldest were little I would have said no way, but now with our youngest two. I am all for it. I don't think you can ever be too safe. If the harness is needed, get it. I believe they sell them in Walmart or try looking online. Good luck!!

January-2007
06-16-2007, 09:08 PM
I think they're good. My mom used them on us sometimes when we were little so we wouldn't wonder off. It's better than losing a child. The ones they have now are so cute sometimes, like it's a backpack and the tail is what the parent holds on to. I don't know where to get them since we don't have children yet but you better believe that when I do I am going to give some serious consideration to them. I think it's a smart thing for a parent to do to take the extra precautions against losing a child and keeping a child safe, especially in such a busy place as Walt Disney World.

LoriMistress
06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Those kid leashes? I personally don't like the idea of kid leashes just because it just feels like you're walking your dog instead of being a parent. I would say it's a waste of time, because half the time the kid ends up getting tangled around you (and other guests...which isn't fun), and the fact that some guests are rude and cut the cords.

That's from what I've heard from some parents on some of the boards that I go to.

mttafire
06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
We have very STRONG feelings AGAISNT child leashes..Thats what they are is leashes. Out of respect for the O.P. and the moderators...Ill just leave it at that. :thumbsup:

Dakota Rose
06-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Before we had kids, we both detested them and thought parents who used them were awful. Then we had DS and took him to WDW. He was 18 mos old and didn't quite understand the "stay where you can see me" command and we didn't think it was fair to leave him locked up in his stroller all day. So we got a leash. We used it as back up. When we were walking, he held our hands, but he'd get distracted, let go and run off to chase a bird. We had the leash attached and in hand, so he never got more than 3 feet away. I considered it a "safety lock". 6 mos later we took him to DLR and only used it for half of the first day. By then, he'd figured out he needed to stay close.

crazykids
06-16-2007, 09:46 PM
You're going to get both sides to this question & some may try to turn it into a heated debate. The fact is, if your child is one that wanders or runs away & doesn't follow commands - then use it for the saftey of the child & don't worry what others think. Personally, I'd rather someone I don't know & will probably never see again in my lifetime look at me funny than to loose my child.

I'm in the same boat, my son has severe ADHD & is a runner. Sometimes he walks good, other times he doesn't. I always carry the "leash" in my bag just in case I need it. I have the one that connects at the wrist & I think it only cost a couple dollars at Walmart.

Maleficent's Dad
06-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I usually avoid discussions like this. I make every effort to be open minded; as a parent, I often bite my tongue on these boards...

I fully and completely realize that there are children with special needs in this world; I understand that parents need to do whatever they feel is in the best interest of their own child! My responses below make certain assumptions: I respond with the thought that you are referring to a healthy, well-behaved young child here - so don't shoot me!

But, you did ask, so...
:shake: I don't like them - and my kids have both been travelling to WDW and DLR since before their first birthdays (so I don't need to hear about how kids behave ;)).

What exactly are they?
Since you ask: They are leashes. (I originally added an entire paragraph elaborating on this, but edited my writing for obvious reasons!)

Where can you get them?
This one I cannot answer. However, I'm sure that someone with a differing point of view will be along shortly to tell you where to buy them.

Strmchsr
06-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Where can you get them?

First, let me issue a quick warning. So far the thread has stayed friendly and just answered the question asked. Please do not let it go beyond that. We've had another thread on this same subject we had to shut down because it got out of control. So, please limit your comments to the usefulness of the item in question and refrain from commenting on your perception of the parenting skills of parents who do or do not use them.

Now, to answer this specific question - Babys R Us and Toys R Us usually carry them, so you could get it at your nearest store or online. I know Wal-Mart, and believe Target, also carries this item.

As for the usefulness, it varies. I found the full upper body harness difficult and cumbersome with our son. However, the wristband version did extremely well. Gave him freedom without fear of getting lost or running off. It's easily removable and fits in your pocket when you don't want to use it (such as if the park isn't very crowded or you're using the stroller).

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Our family chooses not to use them(Just our choice, I am not knocking anyone that does use them) but, I do have friends that do buy them for their children.

The backpack ones look a little more kid friendly to me, they also sell a fanny pack one. The child wears the pack and they parent holds the leash portion. I know a lot of the kid/baby supply stores and websites sell them.

tigger24601
06-16-2007, 10:57 PM
i'm all for em. my mother used them on me and my sister when we were little and has just finished the one that my dd will use in november for her first trip. however they were crocheted and looked like they were part of our outfits. i have seen the animal back pack ones at burlington coat factory. haven't really looked anywhere else.

Lizzie
06-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Apparantly my sister go her animal backpack one at Target. My nephew used to like to wear his around the house, I think he had like a monkey or a bear. He thought it was fun to wear.

kakn7294
06-17-2007, 01:22 AM
I don't like them but I have used them. The wrist ones are a joke as the kids can easily remove them and take off. The backpack ones are kind of cute. Our DD's had a fanny pack type - it went around their waist and had a tiny fanny pack on it. I think I purchased it at Toys 'R Us but you can usually find them in any baby department. I didn't like it because as they took off running, the leash did it's job and kept them put but usually they fell as it did. I always made them hold my hand even with the leash on - it was just an added security measure in case they got loose from holding my hand. My nephew (smarty-pants that he is) always barked and panted when my sister put his on.

LoriMistress
06-17-2007, 05:03 AM
If I were going to use a leash on my kid I would use it to my advantage...I would use the leash as a threat to my older children (7 and up) if they didn't behave...nothing worse then being humiliated in public...and looking like a big baby.

At least that's something I can picture Rosanne doing.:thumbsup:

K8screen
06-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Many many years ago, when I was little, small children over here in UK often wore a harness, usually called "reins", because the use of a buggy was not common. It was the big pram (called a baby carriage in US I think) or walk. It was the norm, we got plenty of exercise, and there was no fear of getting lost or falling over. We could even be lifted by it into our parents arms for a quick cuddle. Nobody thought anything of it and it gave us a marvellous feeling of independence with security. Dont think it did us any harm. I say go for it.

bethsmith
06-17-2007, 08:45 AM
If you're going to use a harness, then try it out before you go. I had them for my two daughters when they were little (2 and 3). I was a single mom and hoped for some extra "security" when we were out together. I tried to use them several times but each time my oldest daughter would just sit down and not move. It certainly didn't make my life easier.

Then 2 years ago when we were at Disney I got one of those little wrist straps for my 18 month old son. HA. He figured out how to get the thing off in about 10 minutes.

So, although I'm not against the things I've never had great luck with them. I find the stroller strap easier for me to use and harder for the child to escape from.

larandtra
06-17-2007, 09:11 AM
The simple fact is they are leashes, like something you would walk your dog on. I see a couple of issues. When walking through a crowd, lets assume you have a kid on one of these leashes. You probably have them on a leash because you can not control them otherwise. Little Billy decides to go running around and that leash becomes nothing more than a rope to trip others with.
Try making the kid hold your hand, carry them, or put them in a stroller. Leashes are a convenient way for someone else to get hurt while the kids still run wild.

Jenemmy
06-17-2007, 09:39 AM
I never liked them, to be honest. I always conjured up the dog/leash scenario that others have spoken of. But, I do have a special needs child who has in fact run away in the Magic Kingdom and was MIA for about 15 minutes. Simply put, that was the most agonizing 15 minutes of my life and I would not wish that feeling on another soul.

I will never again put a judgement call on another parent doing what they feel they need to do to keep their child safe. I wish I would have had one the day my little guy got lost. Fact is, no one knows your kid like you do -- Do what you feel best doing.

Goes4FastPass
06-17-2007, 11:43 AM
The terminology around this can be inflammatory. Say, "leash" and pictures of pets come to mind. Say, "harness" and the picture becomes one of safety.

I think to implicitly say to a little one, "Scamper, explore, go as fast as you can. You still have a connection to me and you can't go too far." can create a sense of security.

Niecyboo
06-17-2007, 12:10 PM
I thought they were horrible, too, until my sister brought up a point that I have never noticed anyone else use. When we are holding a child's hand, our arm is in a very natural position hanging down, but when a child is holding an adult's hand, their arm is usually raised at an angle that can get uncomfortable after a while. If you have a strap attatched to their wrist and yours, they can hold their arm at a natural angle as well. Can you imagine walking around all day with your arm raised above your head?

We have brought harnesses to WDW before, but didn't use them a lot, since the stroller was our main toddler transportation, and putting the harness off and on was time consuming. Still, we were glad we had them. On other occasions, though, we found them a lifesaver (Esp. the day after Thanksgiving at Mall of America).

kadesha
06-17-2007, 12:46 PM
my kids had them last year when we went and they were a lifesaver!!! They had the ones that look like backpacks and you could snap the "leash" part on if necessary. They were absolutely wonderful!! I didn't need them this year, but they are great if you have young kids who like to get out of the stroller for a bit!

snifflesmcg
06-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Those kid leashes? I personally don't like the idea of kid leashes just because it just feels like you're walking your dog instead of being a parent. I would say it's a waste of time, because half the time the kid ends up getting tangled around you (and other guests...which isn't fun), and the fact that some guests are rude and cut the cords.

That's from what I've heard from some parents on some of the boards that I go to.

We have very STRONG feelings AGAISNT child leashes..Thats what they are is leashes. Out of respect for the O.P. and the moderators...Ill just leave it at that. :thumbsup:

I agree with these!! I think these "leashes" look horrible! I recently found out that my mother had used them years and years ago on the NJ boardwalk and I screamed at her. Children that aren't able to hold hands or that are too young, especially two year olds, should be put in a stroller.

murphy1
06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I think whatever is easiest for the parent is fine. Incidentally, we went into Jackson Square gift shop at POFQ and they had some there for sale.

EvilQueen2006
06-17-2007, 01:07 PM
My child got separated from me coming out of the old "Tarzan Rocks" show. Even though I had taught her to stay put if she gets lost,there were hundreds of people moving in one direction, and she got swept along with them. She was only separated for a few minutes but those few minutes were terrifying for her and for me. I wish she had had a "leash" that day. I did not use them when she was little, and I had the same attitude I have heard here about them. After that day, I will never judge anyone who chooses to do what they can to keep their child safe. You know your child best, you know what your child needs. Don't be scared by how others will judge you as a parent.

Niceyboo had an interesting point about the ergonomics of a child holding an adult's hand for a long period of time. I had never thought about that before.

crazypoohbear
06-17-2007, 01:09 PM
I personally don't like them. I never used them on my son's, I just ran after them when needed. And they were fast!

I understand that some people use them and need them and that is their prerogative.

What I find unsettling is that some people use the term "leash" and then say they need them because their children don't "obey the command". This sounds more like dog training than raising children.

My mother raised 8 children, never had to tie any of us down. Just her voice or a LOOK :thedolls: was enough to stop any one of us in our tracks.:-o

My MIL use to tie her kids out in the back yard while she cleaned inside.
I didn't like hearing this either.
BUT for the most part everyone turned out okay:blush:

Until someone has spent a day in your shoes with your kids they really should not judge.

merlinmagic4
06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I thought they were horrible, too, until my sister brought up a point that I have never noticed anyone else use. When we are holding a child's hand, our arm is in a very natural position hanging down, but when a child is holding an adult's hand, their arm is usually raised at an angle that can get uncomfortable after a while. If you have a strap attatched to their wrist and yours, they can hold their arm at a natural angle as well. Can you imagine walking around all day with your arm raised above your head?

Now, that is a valid, interesting point that I had never considered. How awful that must feel! I have never used them but I also think it might be better than sitting in a stroller all the time. I tend to not use strollers either in my day to day comings and goings (we def. use them at WDW). He either walks along or I hold him.

RSGBSG2002
06-17-2007, 01:51 PM
My son is well behaved and never runs off so I'm fortunate enough not to need a harness or extra measures like that.

Can't say the same for myself, as I actually had a leash. It was a bracelet that fit around my wrist and had a rainbow cord that my mother held. Did I really need it? Yes. I was entirely too independant for my own good before I was five.

So I am all for them when they are needed.

K8screen
06-17-2007, 02:15 PM
I agree with the previous post. We are not just talking about badly behaved kids running off. Some people, kids and adults, just get so caught up in the moment that they lose track of everyone else. I have a forty something friend who nearly always gets lost when we go anywhere. She just enjoys herself so much that she forgets the rest of us! We have threatened to put her on a leash, but she is such fun to be with we let her off!

disneynarula
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I am going to get one when we go to WDW with my DS3. He is pretty well behaved and would never run off on purpose. However I can see him getting distracted at a place like WDW. It is also easy to get lost in a crowd.

It is also uncomfortable to hold someone's hand all day long. It can get sweaty.

I hate to strap him in a stroller all day long. I want to give him a chance to stretch his legs and get some independence. I think a harness is the best thing for us.

I can't see how it can harm a child at all. I think they are a great idea!

MNNHFLTX
06-17-2007, 04:36 PM
We've never used them, but for those parents who feel that their child might be at risk of suddenly wandering off when they're out of the stroller, I think they might be useful. I agree that animal backpack "harness buddies" are cute and more discreet than the harnesses of old. You can find a good selection of them online at Amazon.:mickey:

browneyedgirl12
06-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I think the harnesses are a good idea. Im sure the child would rather be harnessed to their parent than being lost in such a large place like WDW. :mickey:

TexasPrincessAurora
06-17-2007, 06:23 PM
With the world in the state it is today, you do what you have to do to keep your child safe...even in a relatively safe place like WDW. If a harness will help you keep your child close by and accounted for, then it is serving it's purpose. Personally we used it on one or two trips with DS, but once he got to be 3 he refused to wear it anymore. He was happier holding hands and was much better staying right next to someone. You just have to do whatever will work for your child and keep them with you and safe.

TiggerRPh
06-17-2007, 06:30 PM
I personally can't stand them....I've never used one or thought of using one on any of our three kids.

IMO...if they can wander off that easily...they go in the stroller and only get out to get into a ride or an attraction.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I think the point about ergonomics is great! Our Olivia is pretty small for her age, so add to the bad body mechanics of her having to stretch upwards that mommy and daddy have to stoop down to hold her hand. I never thought about that, but it just can't be that great on your spine.

I thank you all for keeping this civil. My wife and I were APPALLED at the harnesses when we went to Disney before we adopted our daughter. Now, we see things a little differently. Our daughter is fairly well behaved, but she's a normal two year old - she gets excited about things. I was looking in the children's book section of a book store, and she got out of my sight for a split second. In that split second, horrible things went through my mind, and I saw her just a few feet away. There was no one else in the section where I was.

Consider that Disney has tens of thousands of people, and that could spell nightmare. We're trying to accept that we can use the harnesses for safety reasons, but we're still a little bit on the "how can you do that" side. I guess you have to look at it from the child's perspective, as Walt would.

TiggerRPh
06-17-2007, 07:05 PM
It is also uncomfortable to hold someone's hand all day long. It can get sweaty.

That's why you hold their wrist...not their hand.

We've gone to WDW probably 20 times with the kids....never used one...never felt the need. Strap them into the stroller while we're wandering the park...and either carrying them or holding onto them else where.

Melanie
06-17-2007, 07:16 PM
We used a harness one time, and it just wasn't for us. It lasted maybe once a day. We never used strollers either, except on one trip to WDW when our youngest was just 3. They weren't wanderers. The newer styles are cute and I wouldn't be opposed to them if needed.

On the holding the wrist thing, I just won't do that to my kids. I have vivid (bad) memories of my dad doing that to me as a kid. It's not comfortable, at least how he did it. :nono:

TheRustyScupper
06-17-2007, 07:57 PM
1) Kids are kids.
2) Pets are pets.
3) Hand holding is for kids.
4) Leases are for pets.

Jenemmy
06-17-2007, 08:11 PM
1) Kids are kids.
2) Pets are pets.
4) Leases are for pets.

Regarding #4.....Ya know, my dog has been asking for his own place, but we told him he probably couldn't get a lease..... ;)

Tee hee hee -- SORRY -- couldn't resist!

mttafire
06-17-2007, 09:52 PM
1) Kids are kids.
2) Pets are pets.
4) Leases are for pets.
Finally, The MOST perfect answer. Simple and to the point. No political correctness, Just a completely accurate answer.:thumbsup:

Disney Yankee
06-17-2007, 10:08 PM
What ever works for each parent... But don't worry about what people think of you. You are better off with dirty looks from people who may not even know you (thinking you have a child on a "leash") and having your child with you to hug you and hold you at the end of the day to tell you how much they love you:heart:
Do what you think is right. It's the disney way:mickey:.

MNNHFLTX
06-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Just as in the last thread where this topic came up, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer--just opinions on both sides of the issue. For those who have something new to add to the discussion, that's fine. For those of us who have already responded with a viewpoint, whatever it may be, let's move on.

Lizzie
06-17-2007, 11:50 PM
I think when we go in October we are going to look into this for our own kids. Our twin girls will be 17 months. And most of the time they will be in the stroller but I can imagine sometimes they are going to want to walk and stretch their legs. And its just going to be me and my husband. So one of us will have to push the empty stroller and if we use some kind of harness one of us can hold onto it and let the girls walk around and feel like they have a little freedom. But I am sure anytime we park the stroller will just each grab a hand.

LibertyTreeGal
06-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Well, I had twin two year olds, and while all the other mommies were confining their kiddos to strollers full time, I was letting mine walk. Those mommies were giving me dirty looks, but there was no way I could control those two and keep track of them without the harnesses. It kept them safe and they didn't emerge from their toddlerhood being too lazy to walk anywhere, which I see a lot in their classmates at school.

Why is it superior to keep little boys cooped up all the time instead of letting them walk and get some exercise? And for that matter, why do parents judge each other so much? Is th harness/stroller thing that big of a deal?

We didn't use the harnesses at WDW because we had four adults and two 4 year olds, but if I had been alone with them I would have been foolish not to use them. I have one twin who is fast and one who is slow, and confining them was the only other option -- and they HATED being in the stroller for any length of time -- I don't blame them.

OH, and I might add that my kids walked all day, every day for 7 days at WDW without complaint. I saw kids their age just dragging, not able to walk very far -- and one of my kids has spina bifida and he still insists on walking everywhere. They have always preferred walking to riding.

thrillme
06-18-2007, 10:34 AM
All kids are so different. Some you need harnesses for others you don't. My DS was GREAT...he stuck to me so close that I often overlooked him because he was standing right by my leg. And in the two seconds I looked OVER his head was enough to send me into PANIC (I had a LOT of friends laugh at me over this one). Myself...I was a very good child but I got "distracted" easily so my Mom had a harness for me and it didn't destroy me (in fact...my DS says I STILL need one). In a crowd kids can easily get lost. A harness just gives you a little extra security. IF I had a child like my nephew when he was little (sudden desires to suddenly start running) or another friends daughter when she was little thought the stroller was an "evil captor" I wouldn't hesitate to use a harness. At least I'd know my child would come home with me.

My DS is a lot more "focused" than I ever was and he really never wandered off.

Strollers are a blessing and a curse. They can be kind of their own little "trap". Nothing can be more annoying than a energetic child "seatbelted" and "forced" into a stroller (or into their parents arms) when they'd rather run a bit (hence the piercing screaming and crying).

Another option is a shoe beeper. These are kinda cool too. While a little less effective than a harness because the child can get a little farther away...too far and it won't beep. If the child sticks pretty close to you the beeper part ties onto the childs shoe while the parent holds the "clicker" in their hand. If you lose the child or simply want their attention...click the beeper and then locator will go off. These run about $40 at most Walmart/Target etc stores.

DSNYMOM4JJ
06-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Ok...breath...this must be the most irritating thread yet for me...especially reading the post about people cutting the cords that keep parent and child together...that is so evil I cant put it into words...if someone did that to me and my child..I would probably end up in jail...even at WDW.

breathing again....
Now as I see it...the harness is a means of protection. People protect thier China, baseball cards, cars, jewelry, prized possessions all protected somehow...why wouldnt you place a harness on your child to help protect tham while on vacation?

My oldest son is 6 and we used a harness on him till he was about 4, now we use the harness on our 3 year old..who actually would rather use it than the strolle...in the morning he instantly grabs it and practically puts it on so that he feels safe and can walk eagerly beside us and be a big boy.

There is so much to see at WDW and the crowds are large, some of us do not live in large cities to help familairize our children with large populations. I truly feel that I would rather tackle the dirty looks people cast than to live the rest of my life wondering if my child was alive or dead. The world is not what it was when most of us was growing up...there are some really ugly people in the world today...and yes many of them come to WDW just like we do.

This wonderful place should hold magical memories...if you feel your child might do better on a harness than all means get one and try it.... it will just ensure that you all have a great vacation:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-18-2007, 11:30 AM
I think they are a great idea. Those who are opposed have probably never "lost" their child or had them play hide and seek on you without your knowledge.

Disney Doll
06-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't like them at all. Even with a leash it is up to the parent to control their child. Leashes in a crowd are a safety hazard to other guests. My mom can walk, but sometimes is unsteady on her feet. A kid darting out in front of her on a leash
could really be dangerous to her as well as the kid she is likely to fall on. We've always done fine with a stroller.

Pocahontas
06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I never used them; however my DD was never one to run off. Even though I have always hated the look of the leashes, I can understand that safety should come first.

Side note. I once saw someone using a leash with their child and when they stopped to see which way they were going next their child bent down to pick up a dropped toy. Well, they just started walking again without paying attention to their child and pulled him right over on his backside. It made me angry that their child was treated in that way. So, if you choose to use a leash with your child, please be very careful.

wedway76
06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I have never used them but I have no problem with them. It seems to me however, that there could be problems using them in a crowded place like WDW. I would be afraid that if someone is hurrying through the crowd to catch a show or get to a ride (and you see that all the time) and cuts between you and your child, they could easily pull your child off their feet or drag them to the ground.

Mickey'sGirl
06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't like them at all. Even with a leash it is up to the parent to control their child. It's not about control....children can become easily distracted at a place like WDW....then they can wander off a bit. I understand why people would use them. We have not -- we have children with ASD's and feel of the harness would be enough to send them over the edge! Do what is best for you and never mind everyone else. I think that the harness would provide more freedom for some children (as opposed to being tethered into a stroller -- the ultimate restraint).

TinkInTraining
06-18-2007, 02:02 PM
To do or not to do....tis the question.

Me, myself? Nope, wouldn't do it. I started bringing my three girls when they were 1, 3, and 5. Used a stroller and we held their hands.

And yes, I have lost a child at WDW, the oldest, when she was about 8. Terrible 15 minutes but I still wouldn't use a harness / leash.

I agree with Rusty in that kids aren't pets but that is just my opinion. I don't like leashes / harnesses but it doesn't mean my opinion is the almighty.

When we had issues with the girls not wanting to hold our hands, which of course we did. It became a "battle of the wills" so to say.

Our way of handling it was....one runs off...we chase and grab. It is firmly communicated that You WILL hold my hand. If tantrum ensued it then became...okay. Lets all sit right here on this bench until you realize,

a. the family doesn't revolve around you,
b. you're not going to win, and
c. I WILL sit here until you realize that the world is going to keep on moving and you're doing nothing but losing precious time because you've decided you're going to test your limits today...people will continue to go on rides and you will watch, people will still by food and you will watch and by the way did you see afore mentioned "b" above??

You will not win.

Needless to say, it didn't last long. Kids want to have fun and play. All is good within my limits.

Now at the ages of 8, 10 and 13. My girls still know what their limits are and they do not push them because in the end....

b. you WILL not win...

Call it the stubborn Irish in me but I'm the parent. I get to call the shots! Some day when they're all grown up they can call them!

As much as a kid craves independence they also crave structure and limits.

If you decide you are going to use a harness / leash, as others have mentioned above please do it with caution. All too often people will put their little ones on this and not pay as much attention to them as they would if they were walking hand in hand. I've seem many a child take a heck of a digger because mom or dad wasn't paying enough attention to where they were or where they had stopped to see something. That is when it becomes a leash and not a harness.

Peace and love! :mickey:

crazeedizneefinatic
06-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Personally, I would never use a harness on my child. I cannot imagine doing so. We have always enforced the holding of hands or riding in a stroller for our son. He understood that not doing so meant we don't go anywhere until he complied. I have a niece that still talks about being on a "leash" just like an animal. She is bitter about it. I have also seen on 2 occassions children being somewhat drug around by the parents. I have witnessed one being yanked for not listening. It was terrible. That does not mean everyone that uses these devices would do that, but that is just my expereince with them. I did recently see, and I cannot remember where right now, a device that the parent wore and one the child wore that would beep when the child wandered too far. Even a small reward at the end of the day for holding your hand or riding in the stroller would be a much better alternative. I also think that the "harness" would give some parents a false sense of security. Children can still be hurt and snatched using them.

DisneyDreams09
06-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I used a harness that we got from Babies r us for our last trip, my son was almost 3 at the time and actually he was more content to sit in the double stroller we rented, but when he did want to walk he did well with the harness, gave him a sense of freedom but knew his boundries.

The only thing about the harnesses that look like tha animals and are backpacks is that they are velour and I don't know about anyone else but I don't think I want to be wearing velour in Florida! :mickey:

I think we also looked at one from Toys r us
They can look intimidatinngly complicated but once you get them one the first time, they are pretty easy

I might also have a spare if you are interested.

Rachael

06/06-OKW (FIRST TIME)10/09-? (graduation present to myself)

cetacean01
06-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Use them if you want, its not about political correctness......its about what makes your family comfortable.

We live in a mean society, where children are taken and locked in boxes and buried.I have used them and dont feel the least bit bad because at the end of the day while people are sitting mad because I "leash" my child, I can say my family had a great day and felt secure in our decision.

Bottom Line - use it if it makes you feel better, and forget the naysay:mickey:ers.

katzctkpt
06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
any baby outlet or the all for everything Wal-Mart....honestly I think a child leash.....(ugg)...I don't like them at all... with the crowds and a child tethered to an adult, sometimes can "trip" up a stanger. Wit a two year old, the strollers are great....they are covered, you can carry a "truck" load of stuff, the child is very safe, and whenever it's time to let the "little legs" stetch time, just find a more secluded spot and let'em go......

DestinationWDW
06-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Did use the "backpack" type for my 3 year old on our last trip. He enjoyed putting his fruit snacks in the pouch. He actually did very well and did not need to wear it; held hands even with it on. If he asked to take it off, we asked him, "Will you hold mommy's/daddy's hand?" Issue resolved. Some days he asked to wear it! Like other posters already stated....it's a personal issue for parents decide what is best for their child. Before leashes/harnesses/tethers came out the rest of us survived just fine! ;)

thejens
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
As a Mama of two ACTIVE and CURIOUS boys I have sympathy for both sides of this issue. I have lost each of my boys in different parks (not WDW) for a few minutes so I understand the panic and desire for something fool proof. On the other hand, I have witnessed the improper and somewhat abusive uses of the leash/harness and just cringe at the thought of using one. Some alternatives that I use: I write my cell phone number on young kids arms or sneakers in a permenant marker. My three year old also almost has my cell phone # memorized (I sing it to that phone number song). Also, every bigger kid and adult knows where we will meet up if lost. I frequently tell my kids "if lost, look for someone else's Mommy and ask her to call me." Now in addition to that I watch my kids like a hawk and often just keep my hand resting on a shoulder lightly instead of clutching his sweaty hand. But when in big crowds, I do clutch. I certainly do not judge either decision, but hope that if a "harness" or whatever is used it is used in a gentle, respectful way and not as a substitute for vigilance.

avantgardeinker
06-19-2007, 09:37 AM
We got one from One Step Ahead. We got a catalog in the mail, but they also have a website you can order from. The harness is velcro, so it's easy to adjust to the size of your child. The "leash" is long enough to give your kids a little freedom, but not so long that they could run circles around you and get you tangled up in the "leash". I used to think they were cruel until I had a child of my own who loves to be on the move and it would just been even more cruel to confine her to a stroller. We used it for the first time in April when we took her to the zoo. She enjoyed it so much more being able to get a closer view than she would have in her stroller.

170 more days!!
:mickey:

future_imagineer
06-19-2007, 09:58 AM
The first time I saw one of these (in Epcot last summer), I honestly felt scared that our world has come to this point. I am not a parent, granted, but honestly, I don't see the problem with a common stroller, if your child walks away.

thrillme
06-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Actually harnesses have been around since the Leave It to Beaver days. They're actually very old.

I've seen a number of lost crying children at Disney (I've consoled a number of them).

All children are so very very different. Some have unfathomable energy and will NOT stay in a stroller, they get tired of holding sweaty hands (I agree with the poster who stated...think about holding your arm above your head all day...my shoulder's sore just thinking about it).

Before I had kids I thought it was a bit crazy...then my Mom (who watched me like a hawk) showed me MINE. ACK...I thought I was the "perfect" child, the "blessed" one...I had a "Harness". My Mom said that I was so "quick" I was like the "spawn of Houdini" she could drop my hand for a mear second to catch something or pick up something and I'd wander off.

My son says I STILL need one because I'm still the one that tends to wander off.

Lucille
06-19-2007, 10:51 AM
I did not have a high opinion of the leash style devices until I worked in a place that had a lot of "lost parents". The majority of the time the parents were never far away, but when you consider the height and sight lines of a small child, objects that adults don't think too much about are way above a child's head.

As a parent you know your child and your family best only you can decide what is best for them.

Ian
06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I dunno ... my opinion is skewed, because my DD is so well behaved, always holds our hands, and stays right with us at all times.

When DS gets older, I have a feeling he might not be that way so my opinion may change, but as of now I can't say I'm a big fan of them.

Something about them seems sort of demeaning and kind of lazy.

tink2006
06-19-2007, 11:11 AM
I once was seperated fom my DS at WDW. It was a horrible experience that I will never forget. Luckily, there was a very nice Dad that helped my DS find his lost parents :mickey:
I say, whatever works for you and your children! In a matter of a second, your child could be out of sight :bolt: Not a good feeling !

aprilluvsmickey
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
After visiting Disney last summer and seeing the potential for many small children to get separated from parents, I think they're great. I do not in any way believe that a parent who uses one at a crowded place is lazy or has no control over their kids. It's just too easy for a child or adult to see something they're interested in and the child could run off while the parents are trying to regroup or decide what to do next. That doesn't mean the child is difficult to control. The child is just over stimulated with new sights. Many people walked between my husband and I as we walked through crowded sections of the park. If it's that easy to separate two adults, imagine how difficult it is to maintain constant contact with a small child. I think it's more cruel to confine a child to a stroller all day for several days in a row. Also, my husband refused to hold my hand due to the heat. It would be cruel to ask a child to do something that an adult would refuse to do. I wouldn't use a harness for regular grocery trips or other routine things, but Disney is not a routine and I would rather be safe than sorry.:judge: I would never make fun of someone wearing a fanny pack at Disney, but I would if I saw them shopping at the mall. Same thing for using harness all the time. Disney is a different place and for many it's very far from home.

conorsmom2000
06-19-2007, 01:14 PM
My child got separated from me coming out of the old "Tarzan Rocks" show. Even though I had taught her to stay put if she gets lost,there were hundreds of people moving in one direction, and she got swept along with them. She was only separated for a few minutes but those few minutes were terrifying for her and for me. I wish she had had a "leash" that day. I did not use them when she was little, and I had the same attitude I have heard here about them. After that day, I will never judge anyone who chooses to do what they can to keep their child safe. You know your child best, you know what your child needs. Don't be scared by how others will judge you as a parent.
:ditto: Well said!

I've honestly never used one and up until I had a child, I didn't like them. Conor was 5 1/2 for his first trip to Disney, so we didn't feel the need for a harness, but I would never judge another parent for using one. Having him let go of my hand in a crowded store and not seeing where he ran off to put me in a state of panic and fear that I hope to never, ever go through again. Do what works best for your family and will give you peace of mind so you can all enjoy your trip! :thumbsup:

momofdisneyprincess
06-19-2007, 01:24 PM
I used the wrist type one (from WalMart) when my DD was 2. She is a very well behaved child but I think some people get a false sense of security with Disney. I wasn't so worried about my DD running off as I was of someone snatching her up when I turned my head for a moment. Let's face it, nobody thinks it is going to happen to them. If it makes you feel safer, and more importantly, keeps your child safe go for it.

PinKy
06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Firstly, to each their own opinion. No judgement from me! I have really appreciated how "friendly" this discussion is about such a controversial topic. Yay for Intercotees!

Along with a lot of other folks in this thread.... I have always hated those harnesses for children. I never understood the point, until I had a child that is. Now, as my ds gets older, I remember how terrifying it was to become accidentally separated from my mother in crowds when I was a child and it is even more terrifying to me to even think of losing ds at such an international destination such as WDW. I live in a very large urban area and I know for sure that not everyone is interested in my family's wellfare. It is much much better in my mind to be safe than sorry. Its not just about "controlling" children, it is about being able to supervise them in such an overstimulating and crowd-filled environment. I'm not so much worried about DS being lost as I am someone else taking or harming him. And that's just not going to happen if I can do anything to prevent it.

P.S. You can get the little backpack ones from Target. I think they are about $12. I've seen lots of kids wearing these at WDW. DH and I were actually a little surprised they don't make little Mickey ones for toddlers.

PinKy
06-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I wasn't so worried about my DD running off as I was of someone snatching her up when I turned my head for a moment. Let's face it, nobody thinks it is going to happen to them.

ME TOO!

TinksPixieDust
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
:thumbsup:My mom use to have one for me and my sisters. There were three of us and we were all within 3 years of each other so 1, 2, 3 and one point. She had a harness on one of us at the store one day while had one in the stroller ( this was before the 2 kid strollers) and the other carried. A woman came up to her and started yelling at my mom saying " do you know what your doing to your childs psyche by having her tied up like that" my moms response: " do you know what it would do to my psyche if she ran into the middle of the road and was killed by a car" the woman then proceeded on haha ..... i think we all turned out allright :thumbsup:

i think its more of a do what you feel is necessary to keep your family safe :)

NJRRK
06-19-2007, 02:40 PM
The first time I saw one of these (in Epcot last summer), I honestly felt scared that our world has come to this point. I am not a parent, granted, but honestly, I don't see the problem with a common stroller, if your child walks away.

What do you mean "what is this world coming to"?

I had one of these when the family went to the 1964 World's Fair in NY, I was three, and if I were my mom, I would have had me in a cage, not on a harness!

Marker
06-19-2007, 03:16 PM
In My Humble Opinion....

Seems a lot of folks have been quick to say what you should do, and what you shouldn't do. We've heard how wonderful all of their kids are. We've heard about how it would "look".

But in my opinion, NONE of that matters. What matters is, what YOU feel comfortable with for YOUR child.

Frankly, I don't care how anyone think it LOOKS if I feel I'm doing it for the safetly of my children. No matter how perfect and well behaved your children may be, a small child can get separated from even the most attentive parent in the blink of an eye. And even though we'd like to believe that bad things don't happen, especially at WDW, child snatchings can and DO happen from time to time.

Lose track of child one time, even for just a few minutes, and all the opinions and judgements in the world will no longer mean a thing.

Do what's right for YOU. Do what's right for YOUR CHILD. And above all, keep your child safe and happy.

We never did use one on any of our 3 kids as they were growing up. But I distinctly remember one time when I really wished I had. Luckily it turned out ok. But I would never presume to cast judgement on another if that was their choice. You know, as an analogy, I always wear a seat belt when I'm riding in a car, and I've never once had need for one. But I don't want to wait until I have a need for one to decide I SHOULD HAVE worn it.

-- I remember seeing a family who had a set of sextuplets, all on harnesses. It didn't look like a dog on a leash, as some have said, it was more like a team of horses.... and who could blame them one single bit.

tyandskyesmom
06-19-2007, 03:23 PM
I don't like them and have never used them. My kids always know they are to stay with us and if they don't then they will stay in the stroller. Luckily, they don't need to be reminded of that much and don't mind riding...but I almost never have to strap them into the stroller...even the little girl monkey! When Tyler was little, he would laugh at kids with "leashes" on...actually he still does. Skye just asks why the kid has a dog leash on.

But, if you feel like it would make your trip and your childs trip (to anywhere not just the World) more enjoyable and safe then you should not care what any of us think or say or who's kids are staring because all that really matters is that you and yours are happy, healthy, and safe. I mean after all, how is your use of a harness going to affect me? It isn't, unless I am cut off by a leash and then I would just assume you would appologize (as would I probably) and we'd go our seperate ways. No prob...

12 and 196 more days !!!!

xipetotec
06-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I don't know what these things are called, but I've seen plenty of parents walking around the parks with a harness type thing on young children. It's basically like a leash that you attach to the child's upper body, and you can always hang onto the leash and know where your child is.

I used to think these things were terrible, but now that I have a two year old, I'd rather have a leash looking thing on her than have her lost in MAJOR Disney crowds - too stressful for all of us!!

What exactly are they?
Where can you get them?

It depends on the kid too but when when my oldest was little, we had one of these. It doesn't hurt them or anything. keeps track. In fact, DW on a particularly "off day" got tired of defending our decision to use one of these with him. The Exchange went something like
"That's so cruel"
"Do you have any children?"
"No"
"There ya go" ...

That being said, especially in a big crowd, I wouldn't think it a bad thing at all.