PDA

View Full Version : Central Air Conditioning

Lily
06-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Hello! Well, I just received a quote this week to have central air installed in our home. The home is 1800 square feet and allready wired for A/C. The quote I received is $3268 for a 30,000 btu unit. That sounds high to me. Any experts out there with thoughts? Thanks!

DizneyRox
06-16-2007, 10:43 AM
To me that sounds cheap. I guess maybe it's the area of the country you live in.

mmouse21074
06-16-2007, 11:12 AM
The price seems to be on the cheaper side of reasonable; does it include ductwork or do you already have a ducted air system? If you live in an area where the outdoor temperature frequently exceeds the mid 70's during the summer months the unit size that you stated may be too small. If this is the case a unit sized between 42,000 and 48,000 btu would be more in line based upon the 1,800 sq. ft. (and not knowing the construction type and insulation values) being all livable space, basement area not included. I have worked in the hvac industry for many years and would reccommend a unit no smaller than 36,000 btu.
Also, as the refrigerant R-22 is to be phased out begining in 2010, be sure that the unit being installed is a unit that uses R-410a as it's refrigerant. The unit SEER (efficiency) rating should be no lower than 16. Have the contractors provide you with a copy of the load calculation that they ran. If they state that they did not do this but are basing the size just on square footage or common practice for the area, demand that they perform the calculation. This will give you the opportunity to compare at a technical level. Make sure that all of the variables (data input by the contractor) match. If there are discrepancies you may want to find out why.
Always be sure to get at least two quotes unless you have reason to place a large amount of faith and trust in the company that provided you with this price. When comparing several quotes be sure that you are comparing apples to apples (unit brands, sizes, SEER efficiency ratings, Energy Star ratings etc.) to be sure you are really getting what's best fot you.

CAS
06-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I'd say that's on the really low side. I would've replaced mine years ago if it were that price :)

crazypoohbear
06-16-2007, 01:09 PM
that sounds on the low side to me also. If you already have the duct work and it 's just the installation of the unit it still sounds reasonable.
But as others have said better get other quotes and get the quote in writing.

Lily
06-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Thank you everyone! I knew I could count on Intercot folks for expert advice!