PDA

View Full Version : Men in Pants

TinksPixieDust
06-16-2007, 09:31 AM
are men and boys required to wear pants at dinner?? WE are going on the 3 day cruise and the males in the party like to pack lightly. They bot have docker shorts and wanted to know if they could just bring those instead of hanvnig to worry about pants. Originally we were told it was okay but we wanted to make sure.

TammiMcMan
06-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Disney doesn't require any special garments for dinner, they do have recommended guidelines though. Personally, I go with what I'm comfortable with and just try to keep it neat (so no cut off shorts, tank tops, etc.). I think Docker shorts are fine, but they may want to pack one pair of Docker pants anyway. Sometimes it does get pretty cool at night and even the restaurants are kept fairly cool.

tarzan_rocks
06-17-2007, 09:35 AM
This is from the Disney Cruise Line onboard dining FAQ.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/help/overview?name=OnboardDiningFAQLandingPage#6

What should I wear to dinner?

Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual" -- no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

On 3-night cruises:

First night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
Second night: pirate or tropical deck party
Final night: "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:

One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
One "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
Final night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:

Three additional "cruise casual" nights — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
One formal and one semi-formal night — formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

Dress for dinner at Palo on all cruises:

Men: dress shirt or jacket
Women: dress or pantsuit

For your three-night cruise, you’ll need to plan on the men and boys wearing pants two of the three nights. Quite honestly, I think it is a shame that they allow jeans but not shorts. A nice pair of shorts looks nicer than a pair of jeans and much more weather appropriate.

tr

TammiMcMan
06-17-2007, 09:46 AM
The above guidelines are recommendations. Trust me, you will see all types of dinner attire from dressy to very much not dressy. I imagine they draw the line at bathing suits, but aside from that, you'll see alittle bit of everything.

tarzan_rocks
06-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I know I am a stickler for the rules. And having not yet been on a Disney cruise, all I can go by is the information published by Disney and friendly information provided by knowledgeable folks like you.

However, nowhere in the Disney information I posted does it say “recommendations” or “guidelines”. It only says “requirements”. I don’t doubt that you have seen people in violation of their dress requirements. I suppose there will always be uninformed people. How Disney chooses to handle those situations is up to them. Though I would imagine if someone is going through the trouble of understanding the requirements ahead of time, their intention is to adhere to them.

Perhaps this is an interesting discussion topic for others to jump in on. How do people interpret DCL’s dining dress code – as a recommendation for requirement? Are they comfortable dressing counter to them even if they are aware? Is it important to people that other guests dress according to the code for their own enjoyment of the cruise?

tr

TammiMcMan
06-17-2007, 10:56 AM
It's definitely "suggested" as opposed to a requirement. They've had a much more relaxed dress code for quite a while now, I guess it has not been updated on the website however.

There are theme nights that people can dress up for if they like. There's a formal night on some cruises where guests can attend dinner in tuxes and gowns. There's also a Pirate night, where you'll see a number of guests in costume. When you board, you'll see the dress theme for each night, but the only restrictions listed for dining is no tank tops and no swimming attire.

Personally, I love to dress up, so I follow the themes. You don't have to though.

dixielandings
06-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I think that DCL is trying to maintain a certain atmosphere through the dress guidelines. Cruise dinners have traditionally been fairly dressy affairs. If my DH wanted to wear shorts, I would want him to wear nice Docker-types with a button down shirt or something similar, as opposed to t-shirts, etc. It's a cruise, not WDW; the atmosphere is just different.

ElenitaB
06-17-2007, 09:25 PM
As Tammi said, the dress "code" is like the pirate's code: they're more like guidelines.

We saw everything on our cruise and while the majority were not in shorts and did dress fairly nicely for dinner, some people did wear shorts. The one thing I would definitely suggest though is NOT to wear shorts on your semi-formal or formal night. My DS wore nice khakis every night for dinner with a golf-type shirt on the "cruise casual" nights and then a button-down shirt with a tie on the "semi formal" night. The vast majority of men were dressed similarly on the last night of the cruise, except for the table next to us (shorts, t-shirts, tank tops) and they did stick out.

GreenBeetle
06-17-2007, 09:53 PM
. . . then a button-down shirt with a tie on the "semi formal" night. The vast majority of men were dressed similarly on the last night of the cruise, except for the table next to us (shorts, t-shirts, tank tops) and they did stick out.

Now I'm confused again. I thought there were NO dress-up/semi-formal nights on the 4-night cruise - only the 7 day cruise? I wasn't planning to bring any dresses. And I definitely wasn't thinking a tie for my husband and son. With the exception of "pirate night", I thought it was cruise casual the whole trip.

Am I just reading into this thread too much? :blush:

tarzan_rocks
06-18-2007, 08:32 AM
According to Disney, there is one dress-up night on the four-night cruise.

tr

On 4-night cruises:

One "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
Final night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

TammiMcMan
06-18-2007, 09:22 AM
It does get a bit confusing with all the dinner themes. There's dress up night on the 4 night cruise, but on the 7 night, there's formal and semi-formal.

Again though, it's just a theme, like the Pirate Party and Tropical Party (again, depending on your cruise). You can dress for the theme, or you can dress in casual attire, provided it's not a tank top and bathing suit. Just to clarify, it may still say "no shorts" on the Disney cruise web site, but that's no longer applicable according to the Navigators on board the ship. I'm trying to find the press release about the more relaxed dinner dress code and I'll post it if I can. Hopefully that will help with any confusion.

Go with what you're comfortable in, but business casual is always a good rule of thumb.

GreenBeetle
06-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks, Tammi. I totally agree with no tank tops or swimsuits - seems like common sense to me. But I do feel it is possible to look nice for dinner in shorts/capris (ladies, that is) and shorts/jeans and a golf shirt (men).

It seems like we could be spending a lot of time dressing/changing for various activities. How do you still manage to pack light and avoid time doing laundry?? :D

Tinkermom
06-18-2007, 07:45 PM
As Tammi said, the dress "code" is like the pirate's code: they're more like guidelines.

:funny:

Gotta love Capn' Jack! :pirate:

We are going on a 7 night cruise in February and so I do plan on packing khakis for my 2boys and DH will wear nice slacks. DD 6 and I love getting dressed up so we will be easy!:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-28-2007, 09:08 PM
I've found on the Disney Cruise as well as other ships, people just don't dress up like they used to. There were definitely all kinds of attire at the restaurants. I think as long as you look neat and presentable, you'll be fine. No raggedy clothes etc. But for the most part, you want to be sort of dressed up so you don't feel ackward.

TexasPrincessAurora
06-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Like Tammi said, you'll definitely see a little of everything, no matter what the recomendations are. I'd recommend taking at least one pair of pants for each of them...that way if on your particular cruise no one is wearing shorts at dinner they can wear the pants instead and not feel like they are sticking out. It's definitely not something that's regulated...there's not someone standing at the door of the restaurants not letting anyone in because of attire, at least not from our experience.