PDA

View Full Version : Baby's first vacation

maizey05
06-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Hi all! Well, it's almost here. DH and I agreed to go on vacation to Puerto Vallarta with our DS (4 months) and my parents. We thought the extra help from "grandma and grandpa" would be nice for a first vacation, and they're using worldmark credits, so it made for a cheap vacation for us. However, I'm now freaking out thinking, "what in the world was I thinking to take my baby on a plane...and to Mexico? (None of us have been "south of the border", so we don't know what to expect.) I'm so nervous and feeling like a bad parent. DS's pediatrician assured us that it will be ok, and this is an ok thing to do, and gave us some pointers (ie:nurse DS on takeoff and landing, what kind of sunsceen to use etc.) We have no expectations about this trip, and know we will be spending a fair amount of time in the condo. That's ok with me though. Hey, it's a change of scenery at least, and when he's napping, I can always sit on the balcony and catch up on reading. If you have any other tips, advice etc. I welcome them. I can't wait to take DS on his first Disney trip someday! I hope all will go well and am praying for a happy, safe and memorable trip for our little sweetie!:bambi:

mrsgaribaldi
06-16-2007, 08:36 AM
You're not going to strap the baby to the outside of the plane and make him sleep on the beach are you? Unless you're going to do those things I think a vacation is a nice idea. Babies travel all the time. Don't worry and just have a good time:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I agree! Baby's are portable. They can pretty much go anywhere. We'll be taking a 2 month old to Disney in Aug. My sister hasn't even given birth yet and New Baby's first vacation is already planned.

crazypoohbear
06-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Don't worry, babies are generally easier to travel with than toddlers. Babies have no opinion and won't kick up a fuss. They just like to be held, fed, clean. At 4 months you aren't going to be feeding the baby any taco's from road side stands so go, have fun and remember to keep the baby out of direct sun.
What kind of sunscreen did the pedi recommend??/

BrerGnat
06-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Just don't give the baby any tap water...

Flower
06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
We drove 21 hours from Toronto to WDW in January when Ben was only 3 months old - not a problem! I think flying would be easier than driving as we had to stop whenever he needed to be fed, on the plane you can feed him easily.

We took our own play yard for him to sleep in, along with blankets and our angel care monitor. He spent alot of time in the stroller and seemed to enjoy it.

Have a great vacation and just relax and enjoy it, especially if Grandma & Grandpa will baby sit one night so you and hbby can have a nice evening out!

maizey05
06-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Don't worry, babies are generally easier to travel with than toddlers. Babies have no opinion and won't kick up a fuss. They just like to be held, fed, clean. At 4 months you aren't going to be feeding the baby any taco's from road side stands so go, have fun and remember to keep the baby out of direct sun.
What kind of sunscreen did the pedi recommend??/

He said to use a reflective sunscreen instead of a chemical barrier type. Reflective has titanium dioxide as an active ingredient. I bought banana boat spf 50, for babies.