PDA

View Full Version : Yikes - I Might be Interviewed on the Local News

ldn324
06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
In my spare time (ha ha) away from my full time job, I agreed to be the general manager for a local summer stock theatre this year. I figure it would be a good way for me to save $$ for our WDW trip in late November :thumbsup:.

I've been working on getting press releases out, making sure we have media coverage, etc. and it's starting to pay off. I just spoke with our local television station and they are coming on Tuesday to film a story during dress rehearsal. There's a very strong possibility that I will be asked to be on camera and, this possibility has me excited - yet scared out of my wits at the same time. I SO don't want to look stupid, worried about what I'll wear, what I'll say, if it will be a good hair day, etc.

Anyone been on camera?? Any tips to offer? Would it be best to prepare a script or just ad lib? What should I wear...any color(s) to stay away from? ARRGGHH....why does this have me so worried :confused:. It's just a TV show, right?? :blush:

offero
06-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Congrats! I have not been on camera but I have done a few presentations for my college. Just relax, everything will be fine. I would not script it. Maybe write out a few points you want to be sure that you hit.

If you know the topic well, speaking off the cuff will help you stay a bit more relaxed than trying to remember what you wrote. Good luck, everything will go great.

Scar
06-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I would ask them before hand what questions they will be asking you.

disneydeb
06-15-2007, 11:12 AM
1. Don't wear any plaid. Video does not handle it well.
2. Do hair and make-up as usual.
3. Write down and rehearse everything you want to get across to your audience. Think of things THEY may want to know about, ticket prices, how to become a supporter, etc.
4. You may want to give a list of questions to the news crew as lead ins for your answers.
5. When you are on camera, smile and appear relaxed and welcoming.

GOOD LUCK! You'll do a great job!

BelleBeauty
06-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Congrats! Don't script, I can always tell when people have. But compose your thoughts and have bullet points so that you can get your message across.

Powder is your friend - it keeps the shine away! Don't wear any large jewlery that is too shiny and distracting. Solid colors, blue (can be lighter than navy) is always great. And most important, remember to stand straight and don't sway or move your hands too much - it distracts from what you are saying.

Break a leg! :mickey:

bleukarma
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I’ve been on camera tons of times as I went to broadcasting school. Don’t wear white. Try to look relaxed (I know that might be hard!). I wouldn’t do a script but I would try to remember certain points that you want to get across. It would probably help to write them down a few times before you go on camera. That way you have a mental picture of your list. Pretend the camera is someone you know. Try picturing that you’re talking to a friend or relative instead of a camera. But chances are you will be looking at the reporter instead of the camera anyway, depending on how they set up their shot. I wouldn’t stress too much about what you’re going to say, the reporters are trained to get info out of you. If they see the interview going silent they will ask pointed questions to get info out of you. After the interview, you will probably think of tons of things that you should’ve said. Don’t worry about it. I’m sure you’re going to do a great job! Good luck!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-15-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't have any tips. I just wanted to say good luck. I know I couldn't do it. I can't even speak in front of a large crowd. And I get tongue tied if I call into a radio station!

ElenitaB
06-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Keeping in mind the main points you want/need to make is great advice. If the interview is going to be taped and shown later, it is helpful to repeat part of the question in your answer (that way it''s easier for them to edit). Most of all, relax and imagine that the news reporter is an old friend and you're catching up with them about this great project you're working on.