PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a good camcorder/digital camera?

Disneyatic
06-14-2007, 06:01 PM
We want to buy one of those Digital recorders that takes video and stills.
We are looking at the JVC MiniDV Digital recorder with digital still picture function.

Does anyone have experience with these devices?
Do they take good video AND pictures?
Would it be better to take a recorder and a camera seperately?
Here's a crazy question...with the DV recorders, do you download the videos to your computer and then burn to a DVD?

Advice or experiences would be appreciated!

DizneyRox
06-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Camcorder = Video
Camera = Pictures

Never try to do both with one...

DV can be converted to be put on DVD, I would recommend miniDV instead of a camcorder that does DVD natively. QUality can be much better on the final edited video, if that's what you're going to do. If you have no intentions of editing, DVD is OK, but pretty expensive compared to miniDV.

DebK
06-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Look at the Sony DCR-SR200. We love ours.

MickeyandTink
06-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Camcorder = Video
Camera = Pictures

Never try to do both with one...

DV can be converted to be put on DVD, I would recommend miniDV instead of a camcorder that does DVD natively. QUality can be much better on the final edited video, if that's what you're going to do. If you have no intentions of editing, DVD is OK, but pretty expensive compared to miniDV.

:ditto:
There are also cameras that will take video (we have a sony that will record up to about a half hour on it's 2gb video stick), but the quality is not very good. If you plan on taking mostly pictures with just a little video or vice versa, you can get by with just the one or the other. However, if you really want good quality of both, get the right tool/camera for each job.

luvdiznee
06-14-2007, 08:15 PM
I agree that the two in one is not a good idea. And I'm talking from experience. I have a Panasonic and the camcorder portion is excellent, as far as the pix taking it can be not so good. So to this day I only use the camcorder portion of it.

Guya103
06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
We have a camera that will video and a camcorder that takes pics. We never multi-task with either because of the time and battery power. Our digital is a Sony and we love it and our camcorder is a JVC and we love that too!:mickey::mickey:

conorsmom2000
06-15-2007, 07:37 AM
:ditto:
There are also cameras that will take video (we have a sony that will record up to about a half hour on it's 2gb video stick), but the quality is not very good. If you plan on taking mostly pictures with just a little video or vice versa, you can get by with just the one or the other. However, if you really want good quality of both, get the right tool/camera for each job.

I agree - we have a great Canon camera that does take video (and the quality is actually very good), which is perfect for us because I'm not really a video person - so, it's great for a quick video here and there. But, as my son gets older and I'm realizing there are more things I want actual video of, I'll be looking for camcorder to do the job. :thumbsup:

Disneyatic
06-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Thank you to everyone for the great answers!
This has helped us in the decision and we are going to stick with the camcorder we have and upgrade our camera for stills!:spend:

Thanks again!

pshokie
06-15-2007, 01:03 PM
One last piece, just for those who will read this thread later on, make sure you get a camcorder that is compatible with your computer. Sounds odd to say in this day and age, but not all comcorders "easily" transfer to the computer. Some require extra software, or user-supplied-jirations in order to get them downloaded.

Example, as configured a Mac cannot download the Mini DVD's or the Hard Disk Drives (HDD). This is due to the fact that iMovie (Mac's tool) does not handle the compressed MPEG2 format that is generated for/by the Mini DVDs & HDDs. Additional software is required to de-compress the MPEG2 files in order for iMovie to see them. This also degrades the picture quality. As such, the only "out of the box" camcorders that work for Macs are Mini DV Tape camcorders.

ME - GEEK --> :geek:

I also agree, go with two: camcorder & camera. The "high end" camcorders are now taking pictures at around 3 megapixles. But you will be paying $800 and up for those camcorders. Regular non-fancy cameras have at least 5 mega pixles, for just a couple hundred. Just go with two, and perfect the "left hand camcorder, right hand camera" approach.

So ask yourself lots of questions, what do you want, what do you require, how do you want to store/edit video, what can your computer handle, etc.