PDA

View Full Version : Voyage of the Little Mermaid - How Unfortunate

Goes4FastPass
06-14-2007, 05:32 PM
If you want to notice how great FNemoTMusical is, go see Voyage of the Little Mermaid. This show drastically needs a re-work.

The question is not is Arial a beloved character, the question is, does the sad attraction with her name on it at MGM do her justice?

KAJUNKING
06-14-2007, 05:39 PM
have yet to see nemo, and cant wait, but on our last trip i did notice it seems they could, do a lot more with the mermaid attraction

PirateLover
06-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I've been one of the few people who have continuously voiced my disappointment about Voyage for a while now. I don't think it has anything to do with the Nemo show being better (not a fan of visible people running around with puppets, sorry) But I agree that so much more can be done and that this show just doesn't work except to entertain young kids with colorful puppets, rain, and bubbles- If you've seen the movie you know how much is cut out and if you haven't seen the movie I can't imagine how you'd follow the story. I'd love for Little Mermaid to have an expanded show or a dark ride.

DisneyFreak23
06-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Ariel deserves a refurbishment.

tadshome
06-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Ariel deserves an update

PeterPan
06-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Perhaps with the advent of the new Broadway version of "The Little Mermaid," that will hit the Great White Way in November, the Theme Park division will be inspired to up-date the Mermaid attraction at the Studios.

In defense of "Mermaid" I must say that when it opened, it was truly mind-boggling and state-of-the-art. It is still heads above what other theme parks have to offer. BUT Disney keeps out-distancing itself, and every time they premier something new, it makes even great attractions like "Mermaid" look a little tired.

Still love the Mermaid. Never miss her when we're there.

Donald Duck 224
06-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Could use some new technology.

Meteora
06-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm somewhat disheartened by the fact that they seem to shorten the show more every time I go.
Back in the day, I remember scenes with blacklight hands taking Ariel's voice, more scenes with Triton and Sebastian...it seems like the show is a shadow of what it once was.

The best way to enjoy it, IMO, is to sit in the very, very front so that you can feel the water mist on you. It makes the experience a bit more magical.

CaptSmee
06-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Sorry, I like both. Also the can't really be compared they are totally different types of shows.

Lauretta
06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm not denying that this show needs some update. I just wonder why the lines are still so long. Maybe it hasn't been updated because of it's popularity.

larandtra
06-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Great show but definately needs an update. You have to take it in context. When it came out is was well ahead of other shows and still is ahead of shows at other parks. But, Disney keeps raising the bar. Sort of like the Muppets4D and Honey I Shrunk The Audience. They were great when they came out and now it is just a bit of nostalgia. I still enjoy them all though.

WDWFreek
06-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Due to the fact that the The Little Mermaid is getting it's own show on broadway WDW would be more inclined to closer Voyage in favore of new show/attraction being installed. One of the big reasons Tarzan Rocks at AK closed was because Taraza: The Musical opened on Broadway, and for some odd reason Disney thought it would be "competition".

I'm not denying that this show needs some update. I just wonder why the lines are still so long. Maybe it hasn't been updated because of it's popularity.

My guess for this would be that a hugh majority of people who go to WDW are not on message boards nit picking everything about every aspect of the resort, like we do.

kakn7294
06-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I like it just as it is. I just don't get why everybody wants the biggest and best technology for everything. Some things are great just being simple.

snifflesmcg
06-14-2007, 11:34 PM
I like it just as it is. I just don't get why everybody wants the biggest and best technology for everything. Some things are great just being simple.

I agree! Mermaid is one of my favorites. I wouldn't change it........much.

TiggerRPh
06-15-2007, 12:49 AM
The show suffers from the fact that over the years they have shortened the show drastically. With the show getting shorter, the flow of the show suffers and the story doesn't make sense unless you are really familiar with the movie.

PirateLover
06-15-2007, 01:20 AM
I wanted to come back in and clarify my statement. I think that the puppetry and the set design and effects are really cool. For me it is the chopping up of the story (that was chopped up enough to begin with and just keeps getting shorter and shorter) that I have an issue with. If they weren't going to do the story justice, they should've just done a musical review to begin with. Other than that I do like the concept of the show, although I think some of the props could use some sprucing up.

Spaceship Tigger
06-15-2007, 07:26 AM
The show suffers from the fact that over the years they have shortened the show drastically. With the show getting shorter, the flow of the show suffers and the story doesn't make sense unless you are really familiar with the movie.

We saw it for the first time two years ago. Beyond the opening 'Under the Sea' song which was entertaining, the rest seemed like they were trying to cram it in and end it as soon as possible. I'd say it was a much better show before they shortened it.

joelkfla
06-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Once upon a long, long, time ago, there was a preshow in the anteroom where Triton (I think) gave the background on the story. That helped.

Unfortunately, Disney seems to think preshows can't be bothered with anymore. Even at the HM -- where they used to let everyone in the foyer, close the doors, and then start the preshow -- now the preshow starts when they open the front door and most guests don't get the experience.

moe513
06-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I wish I had seen the originial but I like it. Especiallly Ursula.

LoriMistress
06-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Once upon a long, long, time ago, there was a preshow in the anteroom where Triton (I think) gave the background on the story. That helped.

Unfortunately, Disney seems to think preshows can't be bothered with anymore. Even at the HM -- where they used to let everyone in the foyer, close the doors, and then start the preshow -- now the preshow starts when they open the front door and most guests don't get the experience.
They do it at DLR.

DawsonAR
06-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I like it but I do think they could do more with it.

Pocahontas
06-15-2007, 11:34 PM
I really love the show and wouldn't want them to do away with it, but I have to agree that it needs an update.

Dorito2000
06-16-2007, 12:26 AM
The problem probably is that people don't want to wait in line, so to keep the lines manageable, they cut the show length down.

What would help would be to bring the full show back, but instead of doing continuous performances, have specific times like the rest of the stage shows.

I think that sounds like a good idea?

sleepingbooty
06-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Um..... We loved it :confused:

This had to be our three year old's absolute favorite last year - I wouldn't change a thing.

Kairi_7378
06-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Is it as in need of an update as the Country Bears?

Camping Mom
06-16-2007, 11:39 PM
The problem we have with Mermaid is the cast members who play Ariel. The last few times we have gone, they are behind on the lines and it overlaps someone elses taped lines. Like Ariel comes in to speak too late and you miss the end because Ursula is speaking now. We have also seen Ariels who, to tell the truth, don't sound like an Ariel. One was very nasal, one COULDN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS!! We were very surprised. I love the animation and Ursula and the way the sea creatures come to life on stage...we have just been disappointed in Ariel!