PDA

View Full Version : Music played in Parks not Disney anymore?

AliceinDisney
06-14-2007, 12:40 PM
I was reading a snippet on Trip Advisor that someone had written about that Disney has taken away a lot of the magic, by now playing fifties music in the parks, and no longer playing the typical Disney music thats heard throughout the shrubbery in the Magic Kingdom etc. Is this true? I have a hard time believing they would get rid of that part of the magic?

KAJUNKING
06-14-2007, 12:48 PM
i cant really believe that is true, but im not sure, i havent heard anyting about the music being changed

doombuggy
06-14-2007, 02:52 PM
At DTD you still hear plenty of Disney music. I don't get to the parks that much, but I have always noticed (and sang along with) some songs that play on Main St. For example, some songs from "Oklahoma!".....they aren't Disney, but fit in very well with the time frame of the Main St setting.

DisneyWitch
06-14-2007, 04:10 PM
It's not true. There is still music that suits the area of any park you are in. My son thinks it's his mission to find all the speakers. I would definately notice if they were silent.

moe513
06-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Ive never noticed any music playing from the shrubbery.

Goes4FastPass
06-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Music is carefully chosen for DIsney parks and resorts (maybe someone heard some 50s music near SciFi Diner...?) but it's often not "Disney music", for example, I heard several songs from "The Music Man" this past Sunday on Main Street in the MK.

The lobby of the WL uses music from famous westerns - but few or none of them are Disney. btwm you can ask at the front desk and they will give you a sheet with thier play list.

LudwigVonDrake
06-14-2007, 05:27 PM
There's music played on Main Street that comes from 'The Music Man" (as mentioned in the previous post) and "Oklahoma" plus you hear movie themes played at Disney/MGM from non-Disney movies. The music sets the mood.

PirateLover
06-14-2007, 05:52 PM
As others have mentioned, Disney utilizes music from non-Disney films to try to produce an authentic kind of feel for each area. Like in the Tower of Terror queue, you'll hear music from the 20s and 30s. In Adventureland there are songs like "Blow the Man Down" and "Drunken Sailor" etc, I think you get the point! :mickey:
But I have no clue why that person claims that 50s music was being played everywhere, especially in the MK. That just sounds really odd :confused:

cgriff
06-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Well, I read on Trip Advisor that Wilderness Lodge has a geyser... IN THE LOBBY! So, I would suggest that not everything found on that website should be believed.

cgriff

thejens
06-14-2007, 09:33 PM
I looked all around for a geyser. There was a suspicious looking pool of water. I kept eyeing it but never saw it erupt. Is the joke on me?

Maleficent's Dad
06-14-2007, 09:57 PM
As most have stated above, Disney will use music in the parks that will enhance the theme of where you are.

A close friend of mine is a Broadway Aficionado - and he loves walking down Main Street, USA, as they most often play tunes from "Broadway's Golden Days." :thumbsup:

Music at the resorts is not always "Disney music."

Music at dinner and dinner shows is definitely not always from Disney.

I'm confident that you won't always hear Disney music throughout the parks - even in the shrubbery! ;)

battle beast
06-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I looked all around for a geyser. There was a suspicious looking pool of water. I kept eyeing it but never saw it erupt. Is the joke on me?

Belive nothing of what you read and only half of what you se. :thumbsup:

PiratesLifeForMe3
06-16-2007, 01:00 AM
actually i noticed at wilderness lodge and most places around the world in may were playing the theme to d2:the mighty ducks. I watch the movie religiously so i picked up on it right away but it definitely wasn't the same loops that i have on my computer from wilderness lodge.

snifflesmcg
06-16-2007, 04:17 AM
Well, I read on Trip Advisor that Wilderness Lodge has a geyser... IN THE LOBBY! So, I would suggest that not everything found on that website should be believed.

cgriff

I saw the same thing the other day in a Disney tip book. I thought "Wow, that's really cool!". I guess I know not to hunt for it.

DizneyRox
06-16-2007, 10:38 AM
It's sortof true though. I feel that Disney lately has been less and less using specialty music and pulling more and more off the shelves.

It appears that they are getting back to commissioning music for the attractions though, the upcoming O'Canada update is a good example.

But for the most part the music selected for the various areas is a good match for that area. Dinosaur BGM is actually the Dinosuar soundtrack, so while it's off the shelf music, it does fit I guess. The Seas with Nemo is part of the Nemo soundtrack along with some "just for Disney" pieces, which is a nice surprise. However, Soarin' is just flight music from various movies. It fits I think, but not really an Imagineering miracle by any stretch.

The music used throughout the parks is critical to the themeing, so I highly doubt they would just change the theme of the music to something out of place. Heck, they even change the BGM loops for the Pirate and Princess parties, MNSSHP, and to a lesser extent the MVMCP events.

angedeaile
06-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Wait...Disney PIPES in music?

This whole time I thought it was the magic allowing me to hear glorious music coming from no where.:mickey:I always wondered if others that believed in the magic could hear it too.

Thanks for spoiling it guys!

This is the first time I heard about the music changing. When I went last year, sure there was music that I couldn't identify as Disney, but it fit with the scenery...like a previous poster stated about music from the play "Oklahoma". However, most of the time it was obviously Disney music being played. Nothing like generic 50's music....

Either way, I think if the music did change recently, there would be fellow Intercotees posting rants left and right. I didn't notice any posts, so I would say it is safe to bet that tidbit of info is incorrect.

As for that gyser.....It is real frustrating when sources like certain websites or books supply you with incorrect information.

It is frustrating as an individual who has been misinformed and it is frustrating to see others being decieved as well, because the authors or programmers are too lazy to double check their facts. *sigh*

And there is my rant :)